Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I am watching the Web of fear part 3 and I'm guessing this is one of the "reconstructed" episodes because it's pictures with the audio over it.

It's an interesting way to watch this thats for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

There are ways to watch the reconstructed episodes, and I recommend them because some are excellent. You can either send loose cannon productions a blank video tape (DVD will not do) and they will send your tape back with the episode requested on it, or you can download the torrents online. That's technically illegal but no one, not even the BBC, will care too much about you appropriating fan made patched together telesnaps and it is a lot more convenient. Terror of the Macra is especially good.

It's honestly best to just watch streaming media by googling "repro [name of serial]," I think. I watched all the complete serials and went back for the repros and wish that I had just watched them as I came to them now. Oh well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Ok, ok, WE GET IT. Modern Brits do NOT LIKE THATCHER.

NOT UNTIL SHE APOLOGISES.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I remember when I watched Enemy Of The World as 5/6ths of a reconstruction and I still really liked it and thought it really cooked.

Imagine my joy two years ago when I bought it, loaded up part one, and actually saw Troughton running across the beach all giddy-like.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaz-L posted:

NOT UNTIL SHE APOLOGISES.

Bad news...well, not exactly bad news...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Ok, ok, WE GET IT. Modern Brits do NOT LIKE THATCHER.

Pictured: Everything you will ever need to know about British politics.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

No summer can ever quite be as glorious as the ones you remember from when you were young, when a sunny afternoon seemed to last forever and all there was to do was ride your bike, eat ice-lollies and play with Lego. Tom Braudy is enjoying just such an afternoon when the TARDIS lands in his Nan's living room and interrupts her in the middle of the snooker.

After they've apologised, the Doctor and his friends soon discover matters of far greater concern than the fact that their time machine is blocking Mrs Braudy's view of a thrilling century break. The street which Tom happily cycles up and down appears to have no beginning or end, and every single house on it is identical.

Is this the future of suburbia, or something even more sinister? Why doesn't Tom look as young as he behaves? And can anybody remember which house the TARDIS is in?

Paul McGann is the Doctor in Memory Lane.

X X X X X

Cast
Paul McGann (The Doctor)
India Fisher (Charley Pollard)
Conrad Westmaas (C'rizz)
Nina Baden-Sempter (Mrs Braudy)
Sara Carver (Kim Kronotska)
Finlay Glen (Mawvik)
Neil Reidman (Tom Braudy)
Charlie Ross (Lest)
Neville Watchurst (Argot)
Anneke Wills (Lady Louisa Pollard)

Written By: Eddie Robson
Directed By: Gary Russell

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/memory-lane-254

X X X X X

Everyone has their one perfect day, and it comes in two different forms.

Everyone has their ideal upcoming perfect day.  A long overdue vacation, an opportunity to see a dearly missed friend, a concert or movie where the anticipation to see it grows the closer the date comes.  Everyone also has their ideal PAST perfect day.  It could be a specific day (for me, summer 1992, my Dad taking me to Three Rivers Stadium to see the Pirates take on the Cardinals.  Not only did the Pirates win, but I got to meet Andy Van Slyke while my Dad got to meet one of his favorite players, Ozzie Smith) or it come be an amalgamation of days (all the times during the summer of 2000 when my best friend and I would meet at the pizza place I worked in after we both got off work and spend 2-3 hours drinking $5 Yuengling pitchers until we both somehow staggered home...those nights tend to blur together when I think about them now, although I do specifically recall blowing $10 bucks in the jukebox to buy an hour's worth of plays of nothing but Stevie Ray Vaughan...)

Memory Lane takes that one perfect day and twists it into the perfect prison.  Using the tried and true formula of taking a familiar setting and slowly upping the uneasiness factor, Eddie Robson turns in a story that goes the extra mile by giving C’rizz a vital role.  It’s a relatively lighthearted and fun story with some good dialogue, stumbling only during a sequence where the Eighth Doctor is once again tortured via his captors messing around with his memories.

It’s summer in English suburbia.   There’s snooker on the telly, an ice cream truck playing “Greensleeves” rolls up and down the street, and 10-year old Tom Braudy is enjoying himself as he builds a spaceship out of Legos.  The idyllic setting, however, isn’t as perfect as it seems.  One, Tom looks much, much older then he claims to be.  Two, his nan is completely nonplussed by the arrival of the TARDIS smack dab in the middle of her living room.  Three, the house next door is identical to the one the TARDIS has landed in, complete with its own version of Tom’s nan.  Four, the house next door to that one is identical, and so on down the block for distances unending.  Five, there’s a movie playing on the television in between the snooker commentary about two astronauts trying to escape from a creature on board their spaceship.  Six, one of those astronauts is snooping around the neighborhood.  And last, the TARDIS has been stolen…by an ice cream man?!?

Clocking in at just over 90 minutes, Eddie Robson and director Gary Russell keep Memory Lane moving quickly, with very little padding while mixing classic Who in terms of oppression and characters being separated (and also reusing the same set…) with new Who via taking full advantage of the audio format to use high end special effects (the listener’s imagination) to create a unique and striking setting.  Best known for his work as the creator of the BBC radio sitcom Welcome To Our Village, Please Invade Carefully (which boasts Peter Davison as a cast member), Robson is a writer who knows his way around Doctor WhoMemory Lane is the first of several stories Robson has written for the monthly range, as well as penning multiple stories for the “Eighth Doctor Adventures” and Bernice Summerfield ranges, as well as taking a turn as showrunner for that range’s 2009 and 2010 seasons.  He’s also written numerous issues for the Doctor Who Adventures comic book series and several prose stories for the Short Trips collections.  Memory Lane shows from the very beginning that that Robson works very well within the audio format, as a simple summer’s day in the living room is immediately brought to life by Tom playing with Legos and a grandmother warning him not to spoil his appetite as he races out after the ice cream man.  But things are thrown just off kilter by the appearance of a sci-fi movies on the television with a male actor who sounds an awfully lot like Tom.  From there, Dobson slowly adds more parts to the story (and you can insert your own Lego metaphor here!) that build upon that sense of the familiar becoming unfamiliar.  Who hasn’t been lost in suburbia, where all the houses and occupants sort of look the same?  Who hasn’t found some ice cream men to be just a little off?  And when things are at their weirdest, who wouldn’t find the sudden appearance of their childhood home a welcome sight?  Then add on top of it an astronaut with a gun trying to “rescue” Tom and the ice cream man demanding their “prisoner” be kept locked up.  It’s the polar opposite to Something Inside, where the claustrophobic nature of the Cube is exchanged for the wide open English suburbs, with both still serving as prisons.  Robson mitigates some of the unease, however, with a light heart and several doses of humor, including a few exchanges that stuck with me…

quote:

The Doctor:  Never turn down tea.  It’s impolite and wars have begun that way.

quote:

Kim: There she is!  My ship!  The Led Zeppelin IV!

The Doctor: …I’m sorry?

Kim: …there was a public vote to name her.

The Doctor: Well, that’s democracy for you.

Even the sound makes thing seem more familiar and more sinister. The sounds of snooker in the background, the chimes of the ice cream truck, the sounds of a hand shifting through Legos looking for that perfect piece, David Darlington once again helps Big Finish turn in its standard “solid-to-amazing” level of sound and post-production work.

Perhaps the highest praise I can give Dobson’s script is that it gives C’rizz something to do AND makes his chameleon nature a vital part of the story!  Finding himself opposite the female astronaut Kim, who is desperate to rescue Tom, Conrad Westmaas begins with the anger and unease that C’rizz feels as Kim pulls a gun on him, using his anger to break his manacles and wrest the gun from her.  The pair spend the rest of the story arguing and bickering with one another, with Kim (played by Sara Carver, who played the Khellian Queen in the Fifth Doctor audio Three’s a Crowd), giving as good as she gets.  The pair work great together, never quite becoming friends as they’re forced to work together.  Westmaas plays annoyed very well when he has to, and it all comes together when C’rizz realizes that Kim’s anger towards him is imprinting on his personality, causing him to be angry towards her which causes her to be angry back at him, and so on.  It’s the only time the mental portion of C’rizz’s chameleon aspect comes into play that I can remember, and it serves him VERY well during the story’s climax where all the voices in his head finally serve a major plot purpose.  Hands down, this is the best C’rizz story yet, and I would hope that this would have led to some major character development for C’rizz.  Sadly, the impending double whammy of Absolution and The Girl Who Never Was torpedoes that hope…

While there have been a few lighthearted moments through his run, (Seasons of Fear and Faith Stealer), the last “easy going” audio for the Eighth Doctor was the Mark Gatiss piece Invaders from Mars.  After the events of Neverland, Zagreus and the Divergent Universe arc, it was time for Eight to get a little bit of a breather.  Paul McGann’s sparkles in this story, gleeful and inquisitive in a way that hasn’t been seen since his very first series.  He’s excited about the ice cream van, and puzzled over the endless suburban street that stretches out around him, but instead of brooding or worrying deeply over it, McGann is simply…the Doctor.  He keeps a grin on his face and his spirits high, save for a few moments where he reminds people just why he’s the Doctor, such as putting Kim in her place when she reveals she shot Nan out of frustration and found out that Nan always got back up after…repeated experimentation.  And, of course, there’s Eight being tortured where he simply shrugs it off and encourages his captors to do their worst.  It’s been a while since I’ve had a chance to say this, so I’m very pleased to say that Memory Lane strikes me as a story where McGann is just having FUN playing the Doctor.

With McGann and Westmaas in top form, one might wonder if India Fisher is pushed to the side in this story. Not to fear, though. Robson's script gives Charley a good bit to do. Starting out just as much of a fish out of water as C'rizz, Charley falls under the sway of the prison as her childhood home appears at the end of the street (which includes a nice cameo by Anneke Wilkes as Louisa Pollard, Charlotte's mother), but later in the story, Charley manages to turn the tables by purposefully going back into her “home” to help distract the jailers and help the Doctor learn more about them. It's a nice moment that shows just how brave Charley is and how trusting she is towards the Doctor, which will come to a head in the upcoming audios...

The supporting cast easily pulls their weight. There's no standouts, but there isn't any dead weight either. Neil Reidman, who played Atillo in the Tenth Doctor television story Utopia, plays Tom, the captive astronaut. Tom plays both the carefree child and the nervous captive very well. The part where he abandons the Doctor and Charley doesn't portray Tom as a coward, just a very scared and confused man. Nina-Baden Sempter plays Ms. Braudy, the loving and doting nan/grandmother to Tom, and the way she just plays along with all the newcomers to Tom's prison, no matter how absurd the situation, is a delight. Charlie Ross and Neville Watchurst play the jailors Lest and Argot. You never get the sense that either man is sinister, but instead two competent employees, with Lest barely managing to keep the prison running and Argot always being reminded to take notes because he never remembers anything, both plot points that come back around during the lead up to the story's climax as we discover WHY Tom has been kept captive.

My main problem with the story comes with a sudden shift in tone over two or three segments, as the Doctor sneaks Tom into the TARDIS and Lest and Argot have to figure out how to open the TARDIS doors to get Tom back out. They get a hold of the Doctor, put him in his “perfect moment” where he's just saved the day and his companions praise him for it...and then the Cloister Bell rings, Charley and C'rizz are flung into the Time Vortex, and Lest tells the Doctor that unless the Doctor tells him how to open the TARDIS doors, he'll lock the Doctor in a memory loop where the Doctor will continue to experience the horror of his companions being ripped away from him like it's the very first time. In that moment, Lest and Argot go from bumbling prison employees into ruthless con men, with the light tone of the story completely gone. Charlie Ross channels a cruel villain as he tries to break the Doctor, all characterization erased for a few scenes. It's very jarring and threatens to throw the whole tone of the story off. The Doctor shrugs it off, C'rizz saves the day...and the Doctor gives the pair the technology to ensure the prison is no longer needed and tells C'rizz that revenge is best thrown into the rubbish bin. Some listeners might not notice the shift in tone, but others might be a bit taken aback.

Memory Lane could best be seen as a bit of a “breather” story. Following the claustrophobic Something Inside and leading up to the events of Absolution, this is a lighthearted, easy going fun story. Save for the scenes of mental torture, the actors seem to have had a blast making this story, with everyone in their place, the TARDIS crew all getting their moments in the sun, some absurd dialogue, and a drop of the Doctor's mercy and compassion to top it off. Easily recommended, Memory Lane is an audio that might not be the “perfect” story, but instead uses the setting of a “perfect day” very well.

Pros
+ C'rizz's best story
+ The Doctor and Charley have their moments
+ Some witty and absurd dialogue
+ Lighthearted and fun tone...

Cons
- ...save for one sequence

Synopsis – Turning out to be C'rizz's best story, the Doctor and his companions deal with a prison that recreates someone's “perfect day” and a jailor who's none other than the local ice cream man, all helping to make Memory Lane a fun, lighthearted story (for the most part).

Next up - It is 1917 and the Doctor, Hex and Ace find themselves in a military hospital in northern France. But the terrifying, relentless brutality of the Great War that wages only a few miles away is the least of their concerns...

Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor in...No Man's Land.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Bad news...well, not exactly bad news...

Please. As if she'd accept a half-hearted excuse like death.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It really is a shame about that torture subplot, especially as it is injected so late into the story and thus remains fresh in the listener's memory. It does make it somewhat bitter that the "captors" basically don't just get away with everything, but are rewarded for it too. I do love the Doctor's response to C'Rizz pointing out that they didn't suffer any comeuppance though:

"Revenge is a dish best left to go cold..... and then thrown in the kitchen bin."

Too bloody right, Doctor :)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I can't wait for Toxx to get to the next few episodes (mainly the 50th). Stupid E3.

I can't wait for him to listen to Chimes of Midnight! :D

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I DID IT

I "LET ZYGONS BE BYGONES"-D HIM

LET'S SEE HOW HE REACTS

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I DID IT

LET'S SEE HOW HE REACTS

This has really been a big weekend for you in that thread.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's been a big weekend all around for me!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I DID IT

LET'S SEE HOW HE REACTS

Toxx would like me to inform you that I made that joke no less than three times during our viewing of this episode. Thank you, and good night.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Toxx would like me to inform you that I made that joke no less than three times during our viewing of this episode. Thank you, and good night.

BACK TO THE ABYSS WITH YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

:saddowns:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Don’t worry. You’re still so young. Life has plenty of crushing disappointments to throw your way!

Oh, and just when you thought it was safe because the weekend was over…

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/special-offers-on-the-doctor-who-main-range

Stand outs…

Five
Singularity
The Kingmaker
Circular Time
Son of the Dragon

Six
Arrangements for War/Thicker Than Water

Seven
The Harvest
Night Thoughts

Eight
Scherzo
Faith Stealer
Time Works

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Why do they do this in the third week of the month every time? Who the gently caress has money a week before payday?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have to got to fix whatever the issue with my phone is tonight, so that I can get back to Big Finish.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The BF site broken for anyone else?

My audios! :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Jokes on you, Big Finish, I already own all of those! :smug:

:negative:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Jokes on you, Big Finish, I already own all of those! :smug:

Vince McMahon wishes he had this kind of brand loyalty!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, "Flatline" is really good. Also, I really want that "Don't Stop Me Now" cover from "Mummy on the Orient Express."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Man, "Flatline" is really good. Also, I really want that "Don't Stop Me Now" cover from "Mummy on the Orient Express."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OTYT02W7E

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phobos walks a fine line, it's equally easy to love or to hate, and it would be difficult to argue against taking either side. It has an intensely stupid setting, but also an endearing one, and everything is tied together by a rather wonderful performance by Paul McGann who does what all good Doctors should do, and elevate the material around him through sheer force of talent. Where it suffers is in the weak development of the supporting cast, the far too casual disregard for the responsibility the "antagonist" bears for their actions, some dodgy voice modulation for an alien humanoid, and an atrociously underwhelming "Boss Monster" that comes across more pathetic than scary. To be fair to the latter, that ends up kind of being the point, but as I've often said in the past, it rarely matters if the point is to deliberately make something bad/cheap/unimpressive, because you're still left with something that is bad/cheap/unimpressive!

It's often interesting to look at a Big Finish story and trying to see how it compares to a particular era of the television show. This is more apparent in stories featuring the 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors since we have plenty of material to choose from, while the 8th Doctor has primarily become familiar to us through the audios themselves. Of course The 8th Doctor Adventures is meant to be a kind of hybrid, a transition between the Classic Series and Revival formats, but this story falls rather firmly in the former camp, and that is where it walks the fine line between good and bad. It would be easy to see this as a throwback to the 4th Doctor's era - a story written by Terrance Dicks, perhaps, involving a small colony, the mystery of the attacking monsters that aren't quite what they seem, and a quasi-indictment of the hippy movement or the trouble with feckless youth of today. I could see Tom Baker striding about in his coat and scarf, grinning with delight at the explanation of how the commune came into being, being gently sardonic about the "natural" wormhole, getting dark when threatened by Farl, and completely no-selling the threats of the Entity. But I can also see this as something from the early McCoy years, and I mean that in the worst possible way. A story by Pip'n'Jane Baker (:gonk:), involving their rather potty interpretation of what an adrenaline junkie is, long and tediously drawn out scenes about Farl's relationship, a less than subtle message about racism, and all of it only saved by McCoy getting grumpy after his requisite pratfalls were out of the way and getting sinister when confronting the Entity. Lucie, for her part, could easily fit in as either Sarah-Jane (curious, investigative, empathizing) or Ace (gung-ho, aggressive, and finally introspective) and she probably comes across best in this story after McGann. That's as it should be, Lucie is the first Big Finish companion I can think of to get an explicit season-long arc and they're a few stories in now, so if she wasn't coming across as interesting/compelling it would be bad news.

The supporting characters aren't paper-thin at least, but they are the least interesting part of the story. Drew and Hayd are the most active and get the most screentime, but aside from the endearing implicit (and possibly one-sided) homosexual attraction they mostly seem to be there to provide Chekov's bungee cord near the start of the story. Farl and Amy have the most interesting background but nothing comes of it outside of a renewal of their commitment to each other, a commitment that should have never really been in question and serves only as a return to a status quo for two characters we'd never seen before and are unlikely to ever see again. Amy is almost incidental, little more than a prop, while Farl gets more attention by dint of being an alien humanoid, extremely tall and large (Lucie refers to him as "Hagrid" which should paint a fairly accurate image in your mind) and prone to angry outbursts due to perceived (and sometimes explicit) racism aimed his way. Unfortunately, the voice modulation used for Farl to bring across that he's a huge man ends up making him sound more like David Walliams with a cold being played back on an old tape at half-speed - it makes it difficult to take him seriously, it was a surprisingly poor execution from Big Finish who, if nothing else, by this point are usually pretty drat good when it comes to audio effects. Eris is the competent workhorse of the commune, cheerful and helpful and more than happy to play "mother" - lending a sympathetic ear, cleaning up after everybody, keeping everything running etc. Basically the commune would have fallen apart years ago if not for her, but she is committed to it to the end, mostly due to her commitment to Kai, who she clearly loves. This does mean she sadly loses a fair bit of agency, by the end of the story she's been relegated to prop status, her body taken control of and used to try and force Kai to do as he's told, then thoughtlessly discarded afterwards when she has no more use. It's a rather unsettling ending for the character, which isn't necessarily a bad thing except I don't think it actually accomplished anything outside of how it affects the separate character of Kai, and even then it just reinforces what he already thought and felt. Kai himself is written as a bumbling but affable old hippy who gradually reveals a more sinister and calculating side, which makes his "redemption" at the end of the story fall flat. While he mentions feeling like he doesn't "deserve" to have lived through everything, the other characters kind of treat him as if he has suffered enough for his actions, and that he should take this as a clean start and an opportunity to make good. Which is all well and good, especially considering his ultimate motivations, except it ignores the fact that he straight up murdered people in the name of a greater good. People died (horribly!) and others were left incredibly traumatized because of his deliberate actions, and he should face some kind of reckoning for that. Sure his love died and that's horrible, but he still needs to answer for the murders he committed, no matter what his good intentions were.

In the end, Phobos is the Paul McGann Power Hour. He is the saving grace of this story, the guy who puts in such a quality performance that he saves the Scooby-Doo plot from itself. All the poor voice modulation, weak characters, underwhelming "big bads" etc are rendered moot because McGann is just killing it as the Doctor. All the good aspects of the story are enhanced, all the negative aspects neutralized, by McGann (and to a lesser extent, Sheridan Smith) just throwing everything he's got into the material. His reaction to Farl's threat is a great example of the "big scary speech" so often used in the revival, and his complete putdown of the Entity reminds me of the best of Tom Baker (and yes, Sylvester McCoy too, there's a hint of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy in there) in that the Doctor has seen and heard it all before, is unimpressed and even amused by the transparent efforts of the "monster" to frighten or manipulate. More importantly, it finally brings home to Lucie Miller the enormity of the situation she's in. Even though we don't know how much information/background she got from the Time Lords before arriving (and she doesn't know either!) , she's still being rather remarkably unfazed by a lot of the madness she's encountered since joining the Doctor onboard theTARDIS, and being in shock only explains so much. In this story, she finally grasps that the Doctor has seen and done some serious poo poo, and that maybe he's not quite the affable and harmless bloke she's been treating him as. She ends the story on a bit of a subdued note, having realized she doesn't quite grasp who the Doctor is yet and that maybe she's not going to like the answer, and maybe this isn't all the lark she hasn't quite been taking seriously up to now, but she's in real danger. There is a brief epilogue continuing the storyline of the Head Hunter tracking Lucie down, which actually comes across as (unintentionally) comedic, rather undercutting the character somewhat, but apart from that the story stands alone outside of the greater season arc. It's a very silly story, but an endearing one, and it's worth listening to just because McGann is really, really good in it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ha! Awesome. Thanks

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CobiWann posted:

Yay, more reason to spend cash now that the Steam sale is over.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

are there any audio stories starring rory

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
No, because lawyers and contracts. But there's a chance there might be soon, because new contracts.

There are a lot with another male nurse companion who's pretty good but he's not the full Rory, maybe three-fifths of a Rory on a good day.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

Actually, yes! Big Finish did an audio play for Frankenstein, or The Modern Day Prometheus where Arthur Darvill plays Victor and Nicholas "Voice of the Daleks/Cybermen" Briggs is the Creature. It's really good...

Big Finish doesn't have the license for the revival series. Yet.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 23, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I wish :smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Then what. Is the point of them.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

There aren't any Big Finish ones, but he read a couple of the BBC audiobooks, Day of the Cockroach and Sleepers in the Dust.

And then there's also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNDyBBAjRHg

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Centurion Rory Adventures would be amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Let's run a van into a group of old people!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

To serve as a pension for former cast members!

Every Doctor and companion still alive at the time (save one) has come back for at least one story. Mainly, it serves as a way to keep telling stories (aka two hundred years in a town called Christmas) without worrying about mucking up TV continuity. They "fill in the gaps" as it were.

Plus there are a LOT of British writers and actors would jump at the chance to do a Doctor Who story...

But the truth is? The catering at Big Finish's studios is apparently to die for.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the audio guys had one fuckin' job and they hosed that up

smdh

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

smdh

They're working on it... there are going to be, uh, Kate Stewart audios... so that's a step in the right direction... I guess...

One fun thing, though, is that they had David Tennant in a bunch of Doctor Who Big Finish productions before he became The Doctor!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

smdh

Is this a bad time to tell you that Captain Jack Harkness and Kate Stewart have audios coming out?

Yeah, BBC gave the Torchwood and UNIT licenses to Big Finish. Fans think it's a test run for when Eccleston/Tennant/Smith/Capaldi decide to record a few stories. Most stories are recorded over two or three days.

Hell, they got Tom Baker at 80 years old to record a few seasons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

is kate stewart rory? NO. get that fuckin not-rory horseshit out of here thexerox123

• Locked thread