Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Fil5000 posted:

Silent Running rules. Also you could totally drop the doctor into exactly that storyline and... Well it'd play out the same wouldn't it?

Well, he might figure out that "oh yeah, plants need light to grow!" faster than the loving idiot botanist does.

(It's OK apart from that though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfechu posted:

Phil Hartnoll from Orbital on what he'd do with the theme tune:

Give this man a job.

Nick Briggs: I also have an idea - let's put EVERYTHING into the opening theme. EVERY THING :stare:

I enjoy the 8th Doctor Adventures but the theme tune is terrible :cripes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Nick Briggs: I also have an idea - let's put EVERYTHING into the opening theme. EVERY THING :stare:

Guitar screeching out of nowhere!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

In our house, the EDA theme is described as “playing all the openings at the same time." What were they thinking?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
(Un)controversial opinion: there hasn't been a good Doctor Who theme since 1979, with the (possible) exception of the revival Series 1 theme. But even that's partnered with the ugliest logo of all time, so it loses points there.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The Series 5/6 theme was good, although it took me a while to get used to the new bit at the beginning.

Edit: That idea Orbital had with the lead synth being a vocoded human voice would have been rad though, and should have been incorporated into the Series 8 theme instead of the really wimpy synth we got.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 15, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The series 5/6 theme is terrible imo

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't like what they did to the opening bassline for Series 5/6, but I really like when it gets to to main theme. They really picked the right synth for that. Just the right amount of echo and sci-fi goofiness.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Keff McCulloch theme. You know, the one that goes with the swirly purple nebula. Generally less keen on his incidental music, but I enjoy that arrangement of the theme.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still love the TVM theme.

Is there any reason they took the middle eight out of the original theme in the 70s?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is there any reason they took the middle eight out of the original theme in the 70s?

Probably because it would make the credits too long.

It did appear in a few 70s episodes; in the later 70s it would usually appear on the final episode of a 6-part story when they had longer credits to include additional people who weren't credited on the other parts.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

evenworse username posted:

I think a lot of the creature effects (not all of them) in The Thing still look pretty good.

yes yes yes

E: All about Videodrome's effects too, they are still pretty horrifying. Cronenberg or Carpenter, I can never decide :allears:

surc fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 16, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

qntm posted:

I definitely think it's time the Doctor Who theme got experimental and actively bizarre-sounding again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jla5ecXBXQ

One of my favourite experimental versions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: The Doctor is an art critic and Lucie puts on airs.

Long Synopsis: The Doctor and Lucie go for a lovely train journey (and a bit of trainspotting for the Doctor) in 19th Century Sweden, where they run into a couple of old acquaintances. A collector of fine art piques the Doctor's interest and concern, Lucie gets to act the part of a lady, and they meet God. A relatively slow chase ends in a job offer, and the slow-to-wake night watchman loses his job.

What's Good:

• Pretty much everything. This story is written by Eddie Robson who gave us the excellent Human Resources which wrapped up season one of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, and he delivers here as well with a cracking adventure that is at its best when it is being comedic... which happily is for most of the running time. After a run of stories that were mostly pleasant but unremarkable (or unfortunately poor like Skull of Sobek), this story is a breath of fresh air that rejuvenates what had been a sadly mediocre season to date. It knows when to poke fun, when not to take things too seriously, but also when to dial back on the silliness and let things level off a bit. The characters are engaging, even small roles get the chance to have some time in the sun, and though it reeks a little bit of a writer bringing back his pet characters, the return of one particular character is handled extremely well - they are on their own parallel path to the Doctor/Lucie relationship, and Lucie's reaction to meeting this person is quite a lot of fun. This story also - predating Time Heist by 7 years, gives us a fun heist caper, with the added bonus that we get to see two distinct teams both planning and executing the same heist, once again showing off that parallel development. With the benefit of hindsight, knowing which actors were regular appearances in season 2 of the EDAs and how well this parallel pathing worked in this story, I actually wish this could have been a season long arc - a contrast/parallel of a mentor/protege relationship to run alongside the Doctor/Lucie dynamic. The brief glimpse we get in this story is tantalizing, though to be equally fair it's very easy to get too much of a good thing, and it might have been tiresome to see it in episode after episode.

• Taking advantage of the audio format. In addition to being a fun story, this is also a story that makes good use of its audio nature to get away with a lot of stuff it would be difficult to convey on television. Tardelli's art is frequently described as being exceptional, otherworldly, near hypnotizing and often unsettlingly attention-grabbing. Producing actual art to live up to that kind of impact/affect would be a major problem for a television episode, but thanks to the audio format we never have to see any of Tardelli's incredible works, just hear about how incredible they are and how deeply they attract/affect people. Similarly the discussion of the insanely over the top nature of Tardelli's final creation doesn't have to be visualized, and it's perhaps easier to get away with going overboard with such a thing in an audio than it would be in a televised episode.

• The Doctor/Lucie dynamic. While it was more apparent in the otherwise pretty poor story that preceded this one, by now it is obvious that the Doctor/Lucie (and McGann/Smith) dynamic has been firmly established and their chemistry now has a solid foundation. The two are a lot of fun to listen to, they have an easygoing buddy thing going on and they complement each other very nicely and make for a good team. The contrast of the less than smooth/open working relationship of their competitors just highlights this more, and just as it should be after one and a half years, Lucie has now firmly established herself as the Doctor's companion, and not just "Not-Charley".

What's Not:

• Very little. I mean, I guess there are some questions about just how gifted Tardelli actually is, and whether the Doctor's rather glib dismissal of the situation at the end of the story is appropriate or warranted, and not a cause for concern. And the Doctor's treatment of the art, regardless of his noble intentions, is a little troubling I suppose. But this is picking holes for its own sake, the story is just fun enough and enjoyable enough that any issues I might have had are easily overlooked, dismissed, or just straight up ignored.

• The CD cover isn't very good :shrug:

Final Thoughts:

Grand Theft Cosmos is fun. A lot of fun. A comedic heist that contrasts the Doctor/Lucie relationship with a parallel partnership, it's a breath of fresh air that reinvigorates the rather sluggish season two to date. I wasn't a huge fan of Robson's first EDA story for Big Finish - Phobos - but Memory Lane was good, Human Resources was brilliant and this one is a story I greatly enjoyed. It seems his strength lies in comedy, and though I wouldn't want to pigeonhole him, I hope he kept that in mind and worked to produce something that takes the time to enjoy itself, where the actors seem to be having as much fun as the characters, and hopefully the listeners are too.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 16, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wow, didgeridoo really fits the Doctor Who theme.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

Not... really. They had massive trouble with the lights coming off the pearlescent paintjob on the Enterprise and they had to underlight the model and use an unconventional matte technique to compensate and it kinda shows. It's really washed out and low-contrast and there's still pretty heavy matte lines at times (look at the bit below where it's coming in front of earth, just before the sun flares). And they just weren't able to actually capture the effect in the end - it was meant to glimmer with colours as light played across the sheen.

compare that last to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1hxvPOIhE

Honestly, of all the films I'd like to see get the TNG HD effect, it's TMP the most, because they could probably use computer matteing and digital colour correction to make that thing sing. Maybe even bring out the pearlescence. (Which was painted over in subsequent films).

That said, it still looks drat incredible just because of how wonderful the actual design and detailing on the Enterprise Refit itself was. Despite being designed in the 70s, it would absolutely look in-place in a film today. (In my opinion , anyway) It's timeless and the quality of detail on the model is just insane.

...sorry, you said Star Trek and set me off. Please return to your regular Doctor Who discussion.

God, the Refit Enterprise really is the most beautiful sci fi ship ever made.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I am beyond giddy for the release of the CBaker final stories tomorrow.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

In our house, the EDA theme is described as “playing all the openings at the same time." What were they thinking?

It made me wish for the return of the McGann main range theme.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pinwiz11 posted:

I am beyond giddy for the release of the CBaker final stories tomorrow.

I'm terrified that it'll be bad :smith:

I've built up a "final story" for Six for so long in my head. Last words, last deeds...

It won't be the same.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I've built up a "final story" for Six for so long in my head. Last words, last deeds...

It won't be the same.

Wait, they just mean the final chronological stories right, there'll still be more Ole Sixie in Big Finish right??

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

DoctorWhat posted:

It won't be the same.

It's here!

edit: Just Chronologically last. I believe they said it will have the regeneration to 7th Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

adhuin posted:

edit: Just Chronologically last. I believe they said it will have the regeneration to 7th Doctor.

Mel: Doctor, I was granted one final vision from the Space-Djinn, he says the next adversary we will face will be.... the Rani!
Six: gently caress this, I'm gonna beat my head against the edge of the console till I regenerate :mad:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Could be worse. Could be the Vervoids.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Espilae posted:

Wait, they just mean the final chronological stories right, there'll still be more Ole Sixie in Big Finish right??

He's got a new trilogy starting next month. Where he gets a new companion, who we'll actually hear first in The Last Adventure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Could be worse. Could be the Vervoids.

Hey, at least with Big Finish you wouldn't have to look at them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Hey, at least with Big Finish you wouldn't have to look at them.

"Doctor! Your plant vagina monsters are coming towards us!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

"Doctor! Your plant vagina monsters are coming towards us!"

…which Doctor are we talking about here?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

He's got a new trilogy starting next month. Where he gets a new companion, who we'll actually hear first in The Last Adventure.

How very Mel of them...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The best version of the Doctor Who theme is of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT44cUPZQ2o

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This works really well.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I don't think I've ever bought any Big Finish audio on the release day (or even at full price, I think) other than The Light at the End, but it looks a lot like I'll have to cave in and get The Last Adventure. The physical release for Light was so pretty I'm really tempted to get this one as an actual tangible object as well, but since I guess I'll have to eat next month I'll probably have to make do with the more ephemeral version and save the rest of the money for some actual tangible bread instead.

EDIT: Oh no sorry, I had preordered Dark Eyes as well. Please update your SA Forums Posters' BFA Buying Habits spreadsheet accordingly.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 17, 2015

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
While we're on themechat, I just wanted to remind everyone that seventeen years after Delia Derbyshire rewrote his score for experimental synthesizer, Ron Grainer eventually recorded his original arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One Swell Foop posted:

While we're on themechat, I just wanted to remind everyone that seventeen years after Delia Derbyshire rewrote his score for experimental synthesizer, Ron Grainer eventually recorded his original arrangement:

Someone said last time they could imagine this being the Third Doctor's theme over a montage of him beating people up with Venusian aikido. I can totally see it.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

It won't be the same.

Of all the possible ways for the Sixth Doctor to regenerate, "fighting the Valeyard in a story by Nicolas Briggs" would be swimming near the bottom of the list. I would love this story to be not bad more than literally anything else Big Finish have done, but more or less every released detail about it makes it sound pretty awful if I'm being honest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

One Swell Foop posted:

If I ever make an Austin Powers style Doctor Who parody I know what I'm using for the theme.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

qntm posted:

The best version of the Doctor Who theme is of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT44cUPZQ2o

I've always been a fan of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GJSH5Aw3yk

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
It's clearly this

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

One Swell Foop posted:

This is great!

Second doctor has the best theme and intro :colbert:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
On the subject of music, which story(ies) do you think have the best incidental music?

I like the stuff that Roger Limb did with Graeme Harper, namely Caves of Androzani and Revelation of the Daleks. His music sounds minimal but sinister. It is amazing the difference between those two stories and the work he did with other directors.

I'm curiously fond of Jonathon Gibbs in Vengeance on Varos too, though I suspect that is more due to nostalgia than anything else.

Controversially enough I even think that Keff McCulloch has a few good pieces. Most of his stuff is garbage but I like some of his work in Remembrance of the Daleks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember liking the music from Terror of the Zygons, properly creepy horror music in places, making it very suitable for the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

What can it mean when the Doctor and Mel are drawn to an asteroid by a message from the strange, elderly Applewhite sisters? The travellers are promised that they will receive their dearest wishes when they enter the frozen forests of this benighted shard of a world.

But the ghosts that haunt this place are desperate to warn the Doctor about the sisters' promises. Only the ghosts know the true nature of the legendary Wishing Beast.

Colin Baker is the Doctor in The Wishing Beast(A Three-Part Story).

X X X X X

A strange beauty parlour has opened its doors for business in a dowdy Salford terrace circa 1965. Monsieur Coiffure is the talk of the street with his fabulous make-overs. When the Doctor arrives, however, he knows at once that there's been some unnatural titivation going on.

Colin Baker is the Doctor in The Vanity Box (A One-Part Story).

X X X X X

Cast
The Wishing Beast
Colin Baker (The Doctor)
Bonnie Langford (Mel)
Jean Marsh(Maria)
Geraldine Newman (Eliza)
Sean Connolly (Ghost/Mildew)
Toby Sawyer(Daniel/Ghost Brother)
Toby Longworth (The Wishing Beast)
Rachel Laurence(Female Ghost)

The Vanity Box 
Colin Baker (The Doctor)
Bonnie Langford (Mel)
Diana Flacks(Nesta)
Christine Moore (Winnie)
Rachel Laurence (Bessy/Barmaid)
Toby Longworth (Monsieur Coiffure)

Written By: Paul Magrs
Directed By: John Ainsworth

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/the-wishing-beast-263

X X X X X

The Wishing Beast is a three-part fairy tale done in the style of Doctor Who – a house full of witches, ghosts in the forests, and a fantastic creature who can grant someone their heart's fondest desire. Sadly, the story suffers as it bounces back and forth between a “Disney” style fairy tale and a “Brothers Grimm” one, causing a tonal dissonance. Add to it some weak material given to Bonnie Langford, and even though the one-part story The Vanity Box actually serves as supplemental material to its parent story, both stories fail to truly click as a cohesive whole.

The Doctor and Mel land on an uninhabitable asteroid soaked in radiation to investigate a strange message. The message welcome visitors to the asteroid, saying that they've been expecting visitors for a very long time...and as the message concludes, the TARDIS' instruments show that the asteroid is now free of radiation with a breathable atmosphere! The Doctor and Mel find their way through a dark, twisting forest towards a small cottage inhabited by two old women – the Applewhite sisters. Both women are eager to welcome their guests, gushing about how long they've waited to meet them. But hospitality is not the only thing the sisters have to offer. Deep in the forest, past a village of ghostly spirits, is a fantastic creature who is able and willing to grant an individual's dearest wish. And this creature has been waiting a very long time to grant the wish of the famous traveler of time and space...Melanie Bush!

Paul Magrs – writer, lecturer, creator of the renegade Time Lord Iris Wildthyme, writer of the Big Finish audios The Stones of Venice (eh...), Excelis Dawns (um...), The Boy That Time Forgot (oh, dear...) and The Wormery (Well I liked it!). The Wishing Beast attempts to channel the best parts of The Stones of Venice in terms of a wonderful setting with all kinds of familiar trappings, eschewing the romantic aspects of the Venice for those of a fairy tale. On one hand, we have the creepy aspects of a traditional fairy tale – ghosts in the woods, witches in the kitchen, and a beast who ensures wishes are best left unspoken. But on the other hand, there is the silly, scenery chewing, over-the-top performances of the Applewhite Sister – Jean Marsh (best known to Who fans as Morgaine from the Seventh Doctor story Battleground and as quasi-companion of the First Doctor Sara Kingdom in The Dalek's Master Plan) and Geraldine Newman. They bounce back and forth from being creepy and sinister to silly and laughable, but in the process fail to come off as either, especially when their biggest threat is to gleefully and menacingly wield a ghost-sucking vacuum cleaner. And the ghosts themselves are the positively charged remnants of souls (providing a scientific explanation to a “supernatural” concern, as per everything else in Doctor Who) that have dealt at one time or the other with the Wishing Beast. The concept of “half-ghosts” is unnerving and the Applewhite Sisters coming for tribute is geninuely disturbing stuff, until the vacuum cleaner comes out, and no matter how scary you want it to be, having a character say they're switching the cleaner from “suck to blow” will always be funny, and in this case ruin the tension of the moment.

Magrs' script can't decide if it wants to be a comedic story with a few creepy moments or a intensely unsettling story with moments of tension breaking laughter, and it truly suffers for it. It's only during the climax, where the truth of the Wishing Beast is unveiled and the Doctor make a sudden sacrifice that the story firmly commits to the “tense and creepy” side of fairy tales thanks to a solid performance by veteran Big Finish actor Toby Longworth who channels the helplessness of the Wishing Beast into his own personal desires. But by then it's a bit too little and a bit too late...especially with the Doctor's decision, once the Wishing Beast has been conquered and the Applewhite Sisters given their just desserts, the Doctor's final decision with regards to the Wishing Beast is to...just leave it on the asteroid, where no one will ever find it since no one would ever have the need to land on the asteroid without the Applewhite Sister's message. It's a very weak and passive ending, especially since the events of The Vanity Box take place immediately after...

I've been a fan of Bonnie Langford's time with Big Finish as Melanie Bush. The programmer from Pease Pottage has had a variety of layers added to her character through ten audios alongside both the Sixth and Seventh Doctors. The Wishing Beast would be Langford's last audio with Big Finish for five-and-a-half years, until the superb The Wrong Doctors. And I'm bummed that this would be the story Mel would “go out” on. Langford does a great job with the material she's given...but much like The Juggernauts, the material she's given in this case is just not worth her best efforts. Put simply, in The Wishing Beast Mel holds the proverbial Idiot Ball for most of the story's runtime. She suspects the Applewhite Sisters are up to something, but never ACTS like it, merrily going along with them into the woods without a care into the world and then acting SHOCKED when things go sideways. I hate using this phrase to describe any character in a story, but Mel is completely worthless save to be the MacGuffin that drives the story forward towards the confrontation with the Wishing Beast. And once the Doctor has confronted the Wishing Beast, Mel...steps into the background and does nothing other than refuse to let the Applewhites into the TARDIS and freaking out when one of the sisters goes all Scott Summers with her eyes on a ghost. It's a good performance with bad material, and as I said it's a shame that this is Langford's last story for a good long while. She deserved much better.

One of the standard pieces of advice told to writers is “show don't tell.” Magrs' script and dialogue consistently tells the listener that the Doctor is freaked out about everything that's happening to him. But Colin Baker's performance is jaunty and lighthearted! It's not a case of “brave heart, Sixie” either. The Nowhere Place was a great example of a Sixth Doctor freaked right the [BLEEP] out, where the story and Colin's performance just got more and more unnerving as the story went on. The Wishing Beast sees the Doctor confident in his decisions and bravely walking through the woods with only a bit of enhanced speed brought on by the spooky nature of the forest. Towards the end once the Doctor confronts the Wishing Beast and the Applewhite Sisters for all their sins we get the “I was scared but now I'm PISSED” Sixth Doctor we all know and love, but there wasn't any sense of “I was scared” to help set that moment up.

This is John Ainsworth's last directing job for the Big Finish main range, and while The Wishing Beast moved along quickly enough there was still a sense that it could have moved even faster. A few minutes could have been cut here and there to either make the story more/less creepy or more/less humorous. He definitely could have also fine-tuned Baker and Langford's performances to better match the tone. The sound work was pretty solid as well; the listener could easily feel like they were in a haunted forest or a cozy little cottage, mixed with the haunting voices of the lost souls or the roars of the Wishing Beast.

The Vanity Box ties into the events of The Wishing Beast as the Doctor and Mel take a trip to 1960's England to recover from their encounter with the Applewhite sisters. There's a new salon in Salford, where older women are walking out looking YEARS younger. It turns out, no surprise, that the source that powered the Wishing Beast is the same thing that peels away the years like a parasite, sucking up memories and life energy. But the “Wishing Beast” hasn't met the Doctor before...

It turns out the Doctor, when disposing of the energy source by throwing it into the Time Vortex, throws it along the TARDIS' flight path, which puts the box on the asteroid where the Applewhite sisters will eventually find it, thus creating a predestination paradox – the Doctor has to put the Vanity Box on that asteroid “by accident” in order for the Wishing Beast to come to life and devour countless souls until the Doctor defeats it.

Well that's a bit of a freakin' downer, ain't it?

I wish The Vanity Box had somehow tied directly into The Wishing Beast. Instead, it comes off as “deleted material” in a way, a mini-episode that was put on a DVD to flesh the story out. There are a few humorous moments such as Toby Longworth as a beautician who bounces back and forth between a Northern accent and a French one and the Sixth Doctor trying to pass as a 1960's housewife (seriously, the Doctor in drag...that's just brilliant! Why hasn't it been done before?!?), and as a one-parter the story works very well. But as part of the overall story of The Wishing Beast it would have been better had the Doctor been dealing with the Applewhite and Mel investigating the ins and outs of the Vanity Box! Although then we wouldn't have gotten the Doctor in drag...

The problems with The Wishing Beast mainly come from the script failing to decide what type of story it wanted to be. Add to it a supplemental tale that would have been better served rolled into the main portion and some poor direction and dialogue given to Bonnie Langford and Colin Baker, it's a shame that The Wishing Beast turned out how it was. It could have been a very neat fairy tale from Paul Magrs that could have improved upon The Stones of Venice but instead turns out to be a story forgotten once the pages are turned.

Pros
+ That's one hell of a CD cover
+ Toby Longworth is great in both stories
+ Colin Baker in drag!

Cons
- Mel firmly holds the Idiot Ball
- The Doctor keeps saying he's scared, but Colin Baker's performance says otherwise
- The story can't decide whether to be “Disney” or “Brothers Grimm”
- The Vanity Box should have been better integrated into The Wishing Beast

Cobi's synopsis – Blame it on the script and some poor character direction, as The Wishing Beast is a fairy tale barely worth skimming over.

Next up - Something else lies in wait in this awful place, something from an era before humankind set foot on the continent's cold soil. A menace frozen in time.

Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor in...Frozen Time.

• Locked thread