Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

As someone who has like 40 or so Target books, I would pay cash money for those. Especially if someone did a Target writing style novelization of the modern episodes. (ie written by Terrance Dicks)

That was a project we had here for a little while. Modern adventures rewritten with classic Doctors in the Target style. I was doing Silence in the Library with Seven/Ace. It died a quiet death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

But it did lead to the Five/Turlough/Mass Effect story I'm currently writing...

I would want to read that. I should go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm finally looking at the Toxx review thread, and jesus christ, the smug not-spoilery spoilers thing between actual reviews is insufferable. Bad Who fans! Bad! No!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

When has that been happening recently?

Oh no, not recently. I'm waaaaay back in the Eccleston season, like, literally just started at the beginning of the thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In the rather unlikely case you needed yet another reason not to vote for UKIP[1]

[1]You know, alongside the racism, homophobia, anti-immigration, bigoted views, etc, etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

He has lots of adventures defending the box from bad guys during those 2000 years, soon to be featured in his Big Finish spin-off when they obtain their new license.

The downside is that his 2000 years were essentially set in what is our normal humdrum alien-free universe, so they'd be straight historicals.

That said, how the hell did pre-20th century sailors in that universe navigate without stars?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The timeline was all hosed up due to the contracting nature of the "universe", so it would be a straight alt-historical!

The Last Centurion in.... Patton's Last Stand Against the Mongol Hordes

"Oi, Genghis! No!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

1000. There's probably lots of history with stars.

There's one big mythological story about 2000 years ago I can think of. Was this an atheist universe?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

JNT apparently commited some sexual assaults whilst drunk :smith:

Huh. I knew Richard 'Mike Yates' Franklin was a wrong'un who took advantage of my teenaged friend.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

The finale could be the Doctor having to save the Master from a ridiculous scheme that backfired.

And then she becomes the new companion!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

(and the fact Light looks like a very tall Gary Glitter)

When I watched Ghost Light when it was broadcast, I thought Light was played by Jon Pertwee. :doh: In my defence, I was 8.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So Gary Oldman (and a few other actors including Willem Dafoe [who looks like the most evil mofo EVER]) did a Prada photoshoot in some very Victorian styled clothing back in 2012. I can't help but think he looks like a younger War Doctor in these.

I am the Master, and you will obey me...

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 29, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Question I know I asked before - with regards to the "new" novels, who are the authors/what are the books I should read?

You mean the BBC books from 9 onwards? Or the EDAs too?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jsor posted:

I honestly had no clue who John Hurt was before everyone was gabbing about him for Who. I still don't really know. I look at his filmography and I've seen him a couple of times I guess. But mostly because of ancillary roles like "narrator in the Tigger movie" or "the wand shop dude in the first Harry Potter movie".

Hurt's been in some utterly fantastic films, which you should check out. Also, you've never seen Alien?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also I, Claudius if you want to see Hurt (and a bunch of other famous, talented British actors).

Like the Master, Derek Jacobi.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Called it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just got up to Love & Monsters in the Oxx/Occ thread. It's beautiful. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I seem to remember the beeb doing some torchwood audios a little while back that were a lot better than I was expecting. Does anyone know if big finish had a hand in those?

I remember them going out on BBC Radio 4 making me think they were legit BBC Radio productions.

Also, while they would definitely ask Eccleston first, he would almost certainly decline. In which case would getting Stephen Beckett to do his Richard III voice be such a horrible thing?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 4, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember Golden Age and Dead Line being pretty good. The latter being a bit Sapphire & Steel, in a good way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I know of 2 separate people who have watched (and vaguely enjoyed) Torchwood without having seen any Doctor Who. It's quite amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Basically whoever wrote that scene had a tin ear for tone and an inept social conscience. That's my take.

The first episode of Torchwood was all Russell T. Davies' own work. Rusty wrote that scene.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am pretty sure Mark Millar also wrote a comic where a supervillain obtains reality warping powers, and defeats one of his enemies by going backwards in time and molesting them when they were a child.

Yeah.

Wasn't that in The Authority? A previous Doctor got his powers back and went back in time to the Engineer's childhood during the middle of a fight and became her childhood doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I reasoned that the Master's TARDIS was somehow wrapped around the inside of St. Paul's cathedral, because the 3C building was clearly not the same place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Found this interesting. Reading DWM's "The Fact of Fiction" on "Rose" in DWM 485, RTD clarifies something that many people have argued about since it aired in 2005, and it's no, the Doctor had not just regenerated.

Pfft, death of the author. Nine wakes up on the floor of the TARDIS console room, decides he needs a change of clothing. As he's doing so, pictures of this blonde girl float through his head like a fading dream.
"Cinder...? No, someone else."
He plugs himself into the telepathic circuits to find out who she was and the TARDIS zooms to Henrik's department store. But what's this? A Nestene signal here too? Better investigate that first...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

After The War posted:

:colbert: Nothing ever immediately follows anything else. Every off-screen moment has to be available for Big Finish.

Eccleston has that gap at the end of Rose for solo adventures to play in, and between The Doctor Dances and Boomtown for Rose and Jack shenanigans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Guys guys guys. From Lego:

Please note, this is not the full set/sets that are coming, but a preview from Lego's upcoming 'Dimensions' game thing (think Skylanders/Disney Infinity).

More info here.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 11, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zaroff posted:

There was a book full of lists like this that came out at some point after the TV Movie...

This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0563405694/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I would, but I like Benny more than most.

If River Song drank pints, she'd be Benny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I quite liked The Girl Who Never Was, so I'd say at least that is worth a listen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, so that's where you're up to? I just finished reading your The Next Doctor review.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vastra and River Song both appearing in the same scene in 'Name of the Doctor' made a swirling vortex of smug that was almost unwatchable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I still think it was wasted that Clara never met another Clara. Still time, though.

She just has in the current comic in DWM! Splinter-Clara is not taking it well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

That isn't fair. He's an a moron who doesn't know anything with a magic box and screwdriver.

Which is better than Tennant's intergalactic know-all. "Ohhhh, it's one of those!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

So, when does the new season start?

August.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I hate being an adult. What’s the point of being grown up?

Seriously. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, it was "I want it that way" by the Backstreet Boys. In my defence, I thought that was mid-90s.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just came across this little wrongity in the Toxx thread.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hot Fuzz is as good as Ghostbusters

No. Nothing is as good as Ghostbusters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TVIV>Doctor Who: Back off Cyberman, I'm a scientist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Theoretically some must exist. Diehard fans. Colin Baker says he watched the first ep back in 1963, and presumably a bunch since (probably excluding 1987-1989).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Reading through the Toxx/Occ thread is amazing. I've found myself rewatching a few episodes as he's reviewed them, and appreciating them all over again. Just rewatched Vampires of Venice and I've found I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did on broadcast. It's a genuinely good episodes. 5 Rorys out of 5.

• Locked thread