Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^

And the starry shirt was great and nothing like the offensive mess that is Noel Edmund's day-to-day cult wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Grouchio posted:

Based Moffat.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Burkion posted:

Except for the part where it implied that the other characters all were still trapped in the dream states

That's an inference which isn't supported by the episode itself, in they're shown waking up absent Clara. The episode plays heavily on the audience not knowing if Clara is leaving or not, but it's hard to imagine they started writing an episode not knowing for sure whether or not one of the characters was going to leave.

edit: oh hey, immediately after posting I see this:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-05/jenna-coleman-was-originally-going-to-leave-doctor-who-at-the-end-of-series-8

quote:

According to Steven Moffat himself, though, the truth is that Clara was originally going to be written out at the end of series 8 finale Death in Heaven.
"That was her last episode," he tells Doctor Who Magazine. "And then she asked me if she could be in Christmas? So I said, 'Okay, I'll write you out in Christmas.' She came to the read through and did the 'write out' version - and again changed her mind."
"But the truth is I never wanted her to go. I didn't really want Death in Heaven to be her last episode. And with Last Christmas, I'd already written the alternative version where she stayed, and I preferred that version. For Christmas Day it's a bit nicer. Frankly, I didn't want to lose her. She's an amazing actress, and she never stops working to make Clara better. I was very happy to go the extra mile to make sure we could keep her."

so what do i know

josh04 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 17, 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Deep Breath is one good episode which is inconceivable as two separate halves.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Deep Breath owns, Kill the Moon double owns, Forest is imperfect but has lots of good to it - not least it's an episode of Doctor Who featuring children where they aren't completely insufferable. The word 'haters' also owns.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"Imaginary effect on imaginary world" is a pretty bad yardstick to judge fiction by.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cerv posted:

Is it possible to affect a plot so completely incoherent. When cause and effect have ceased to follow any sort of coherent link already, what does any character's actions or presence actually mean?

I didn't have any trouble understanding Kill the Moon. I didn't have any trouble understanding Forest either, for what it's worth, although it's certainly a worse episode. Straightforward things happen, which people willfully misinterpret because they're convinced that these are Bad Episodes written by Bad Writers who Don't Understand Science.

I mean:

Burkion posted:

That and, honestly? That amount of nuclear weapons wouldn't have done much to the moon, let alone whatever the hell the creature was inside. You don't get to be that big and get taken out by something that pathetic.

What?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

That may very well be, but in my opinion that was probably more Moffats story chops beginning to fray. Nowadays things usually happen in the show because the writer likes the set piece, not because the characters and their interactions with the environment and each other have naturally led to that situation. The Doctor being suddenly knowledgeable of the silence was (again in my opinion) probably due more to Moffat wanting to get the characters to a particular point (being knowledgeable about the silence) without doing the proper legwork because he used up all his talent on season 5. I feel that if the Doctor had notes on them a small scene where he discovers them would have been in the episode.

I remember when Moffat was king of the world. Now I'd be happy if Gatiss took over. drat meta plots.

That's wonderful.

There is a scene where the Doctor is given notes on the Silence, their powers and influence. It's in the Wedding of River Song. That's also the episode which sets up "...you should kill us all on sight!" where keeping the Silence alive destroys Area 52.

~backwards season~

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

What's the difference between the opening sequence in Name of the Doctor, and any given Big Finish story with a past Doctor? They're both insertions into the 'past' of a show almost defined by its shifting relation to its own non-canon.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cosplay is infinitely more socially acceptable than long-form audio dramas will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ah, the Absorbaloff!

• Locked thread