Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rose is god damned garbage and it completely put me off who. My SO at the time kept watching though, and it wasn't until the impossible planet that I gave thw show a second chance. 11th hour is a much better intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

also, there was some motorcycle scenes in season 7, right?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

Spearhead from Space not bad, but apparently no Tardis adventures = what's the point. Three is good though.

I have the same feeling about that era. If you remove the tardis you remove a big part of the show and i can't get into the pertwee era because of it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

haha, "what the gently caress are you doing, master?"

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like the Master's about to drop the Mic. Truly he is the sickest Master of rap in all time and space.

"He's grown farther from home, he's no father
He goes home and barely knows his own daughter
But hold your nose 'cause here goes the cold water
His hoes don't want him no more, he's cold product
They moved on to the next schmoe who flows
He nose dove and sold nada
So the soap opera is told and unfolds
I suppose it's old partner but the beat goes on
Da da dum da dum da da"

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

just watched the curse of fenric.

wow, i don't know what to say. It didn't make much sense, but it sort of did, kinda. Overall it was pretty bad. Especially the decision to have a vampire/zombie story set only in daylight. Interesting how the doctor saved the day by having his young, female companion loose her faith in him...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

what the gently caress is up with your opinions, attitude indicator?

well, for starters i watch doctor who, so everything after that get's a bit iffy...

DoctorWhat posted:

curse of fenric is "perf", as the kids today say.

haha, no.

Android Blues posted:

I actually think Curse of Fenric is kind of awful. The whole thing with Ace and the Russian soldier falling in love in the most ham-handed way possible is almost unbelievable in how badly it plays on the screen.

this made no sense at all. Suddenly they are star struck lovers and gazing into each others eyes. why? how? Didn't he point a gun at her on the beach earlier, and that's the only time they interacted?

E: Actually, the whole pacing for this serial was weird. Maybe something got cut.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Fenric isn't a dud in any case. But it's better on a rewatch, with full attention and a critical eye and behind-the-scenes knowledge.

If you need behind the scenes knowledge to enjoy something, someone hosed up somewhere.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's basically one bad scene in Fenric, some people think that's enough to ruin it apparently because the only other criticism is "it's a vampire story, in the day time :confused:"

which is the bad scene you mention?
also there is more to criticize than just the daytime setting. the pacing is sloppy, theres too many unecessary characters, plot elements out of nowhere (Ace and the russian commander, the "we fight together now, comrade" angle that pops in at the end, the doctor suddenly has to set up a chess game to defeat fenric), terrible music. I could probably do a better analysis of it, but... effort.

DoctorWhat posted:

Happiness Patrol owns, it's Doctor Who being furiously anti-Thatcher, which is the mode it should almost always be in, frankly.

it would be a bit harsh if capaldi ran around in season 9 bitching about a dead, democratically elected politician, but funny.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The "I'm not a little girl any more" bit, which is a bit poo poo.

don't remember that one. I watched one part per day the last days, so I probably forgot it.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And what's wrong with the daytime setting?

nothing in itself. But it's trying for a horror-light feel, and the daytime setting (combined with the relative fast pace of the episodes) doesn't bring the right mood to it. There's a reason pretty much all horror films take place in a dark setting, fear of the unseen, you know.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Your criticisms read like you missed an awful lot of the text and the subtext (the "soldiers on opposite sides have more in common with each other than they do with their commanders" thing doesn't come out of nowhere, for example; it's one of the main themes of the story).

I may have. But it still doesn't really work, the soldiers ARE adversaries until it's revealed that the british commanders have lost it and summoned Fenric, where upon the british soldiers realize that, poo poo, the russians aren't the real enemy here.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

speaking of, is season 9 scheduled for this fall or spring 2016? I assume it's this fall?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's landing a tardis around another tardis that makes things go wonkadoo rather than landing one inside another. Those could be the same thing, (they certainly are semantically) but I think the only thing we've ever seen on screen is the Doctor deliberately materialising around the Master's tardis rather than in it.

there was a moffat short where 11 landed the tardis inside the tardis. in that story it caused a time loop they couldn't escape from or something.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Welp, I need to watch the shorts then.

i think it belongs to season 6. can't remember the name.

E: It's called Time/Space

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

wat? is that shia lebouf?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Having read the Toxx thread's write up of Time of the Doctor, I found myself wanting to rewatch some 12th Doctor episodes, and am quite annoyed that they're still not on Netflix. When do they usually show up? Shortly before the new season?

they're on netflix in europe. try changing your region?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

12th Doctor? Not in the UK they're not. Ours go up to Name of the Doctor.

wha? I just watched deep breath yesterday (It's not a very good episode) I'm in norway though... i figured it would be out in the uk.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Is anyone collecting all Occ's reviews in one place? I wanted to go back and see what he thought of an older ep, but wading through the pages of discussion to find them is challenging.

theyre in the op of that thread. you can also click the question mark under a posters av to just get their posts

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

I just saw Terminator Genisys... it was a lot of fun, it's a fun time travel movie, and I loved the way it built on the existing Terminator franchise. But if anybody's planning on going just for Matt Smith (or Matthew Smith, as he's credited in it), just a heads up, he's only in it briefly (but he is very pivotal!).

And there's an end credits sequence worth seeing.

counterpoint: it's a terrible movie. with some really weird casting choices.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

What did you find to be a weird casting choice?

terminator spoilers ahoy:

first of, a somewhat well known actor as matt smith to be given two seconds of screentime as a blue shadow.
the girl who plays sarah connor looks like a sheltered 14 year old, and not someone who's been fighting and preparing for the worlds end with a murder machine sidekick instead of her parents.
kyle reese looks like ha was played by the star of Not another teen movie 13, not someone who's been at war their whole life.
and, well, arnold really didn't need to be in this one.

I'm all for casting choices that are daring, and with people you wouldn't imediately associate with the part, but then the actors and script actually has to prove to us that they are the right fit for the part. Terminator: genesys doesn't do that at all.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

lego dimensions is a toys to life game

so, how does that work? You buy the game, then hundreds of little knick-knacks to unlock stuff in the game? I'd consider getting the game, but not if i have to buy a lot of extra rubbish.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it seems to be following the Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibos route.

I don't think we entirely know how the content works on that front; it might be that the levels themselves are all part of the game and you only have to buy the characters, or it might be that you need to buy the Doctor Who minifig to play through the Doctor Who stages and whatnot.

i haven't played any of those, but i think i know how it works. it seems like the most obnoxious DLC.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

moffat will explain it in depth. he can't leave it alone, remember he had to shove in a quick scene to show us what was behind the door in the hotel episode.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Emerson Cod posted:

We still haven't seen 12 go back to Gallifrey to finish the calculations. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens this season.

oh, that's what he was calculating? im dumb

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

I find pretty much all the Pertwee stories a massive drag.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Also Planet of the Giants or whatever it's called, which has hartnell crawling into and out of a sink for 3 eps. it's wonderfully stupid!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's also got other jobs, it's not like he's chosen "continue to work endlessly in a TV show" or "appear in a bad film"

yeah! he's in two upcoming lovely zombie movies too, Patient Zero and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Four double parters? Two to open? Interesting move.

Also, Reece Shearsmith seems to be reprising his LoG outfit for Gatiss :haw:

This seems like a good thing to me. Less chance of overly rushed episodes, which is my doctor who pet peeve

• Locked thread