Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Rochallor posted:

Jesus, she's supposed to be from Baltimore? I don't remember that at all from this or Planet of Fire. That's even worse. She's passable as generic California, maybe, but Baltimore?

Peri's accent can change two or three times in one sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Jesus, she's supposed to be from Baltimore? I don't remember that at all from this or Planet of Fire. That's even worse. She's passable as generic California, maybe, but Baltimore?

edit - Sorry double post. To give it some value ; Troughton was is and will continue to be the best Doctor ever.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 14, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I just watched the Day of the Doctor in 3d and am really shocked they didn't include the 5ish Doctors on the disc.

5ish Doctor is amazing. Easily my favorite thing to come out of the show since season 5.

Just watched the Christmas special for the first time, did they ever explain why the dream crabs went after the doctor and then his companion (presumably hundreds or thousands of miles away)? There was a throwaway line at the end where the doctor mentions she "got in the way" or something but that doesn't explain why or how those crabs got Clara or the other people. Was the doctor waiting in a dream trance state while the other four crabs flew across the planet to find one person he's psychically linked too? Why (apart from it allowing the television show episode to take place) would dream crabs do that? I could buy the crabs wanting to create a more convincing illusion by linking people their prey knows into the shared dream but obviously they don't have too or those other humans wouldn't have been in the episode. And boy is it convenient that the crabs dissolve into ash.

Maybe I'm thinking about this more than Moffat did.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

CobiWann posted:

If I recall, the dream crabs are attracted to people "thinking' about them. If you're thinking about a dream crab, it's coming for you. I believe the four people in the base all had seen something while they were awake that tied them together - Rhonda wasn't thinking of "dream crabs" but of the facehugger from Alien, and someone else was thinking of The Thing From Another World which had an Arctic base under siege. The dream crabs took those memories, put together a narrative, and attacked with them.

Meanwhile, the Doctor was attacked on another planet, his thoughts led another dream crab to Clara, who thought of Christmas, which meant snow, which tied into the original narrative...and viola.

So the dream crabs can travel through space and (possibly) time? They didn't look like planet conquerors. And I think you're correct about what Moffat intended to be the cause of the crab menace, but if that's what it is then what it is is really stupid. If The Doctor was on another planet how did he communicate in real time with everyone millions or billions or trillions of miles away? I guess they have some sort of FTL bug part that lets them do it. This sounds like a nitty gritty science point in a program that's pretty flagrantly science fantasy but really it's sloppy rear end writing.

Jerusalem posted:

It certainly doesn't account for the remarkable coincidence of these people being attacked on Earth in the early 21st Century while the Doctor is similarly attacked at some undefined point in time and space. I guess maybe you could say he was initially attacked and kicked off the whole thing by making the Crabs aware of Earth and Clara specifically, and the others were just kinda caught up in the net by pure bad luck.

The crabs are not mustache twirling villains though, why should they be interested in Clara? You're talking about rending the heavens and time itself, it's not something a psychic bug should be capable of. I could buy that some other race is controlling them, and maybe they're seeding them throughout time and space but The Doctor never mentioned anything about that so I doubt it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 18, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

There are ways to watch the reconstructed episodes, and I recommend them because some are excellent. You can either send loose cannon productions a blank video tape (DVD will not do) and they will send your tape back with the episode requested on it, or you can download the torrents online. That's technically illegal but no one, not even the BBC, will care too much about you appropriating fan made patched together telesnaps and it is a lot more convenient. Terror of the Macra is especially good.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 19, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Those are wonderful. I might take the Troughton one as my new av.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Dabir posted:

I've asked before and even got a straight answer, but I'm still confused: Is Vengeance on Varos good or not?

I did not enjoy Vengance of Varos very much. The eighties was a weird time for Doctor Who, in Varos the set looked like a laser tag arena and the monster designs were... C. Bakes is a good doctor but more than any other (except 8) he did not get a great shot in his television role. Some people consider it a classic however so maybe you'll enjoy it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

cargohills posted:

The last episode of the Two Doctors is great but the first two are just utter misery.

Despite loving Troughton and Jamie I have never seen the last two episodes because of this.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I think it may have been implied that the doctor has run across the silence dozens if not hundreds of times, considering how important both of them are for the development of the human race. Then he forgot.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

That may very well be, but in my opinion that was probably more Moffats story chops beginning to fray. Nowadays things usually happen in the show because the writer likes the set piece, not because the characters and their interactions with the environment and each other have naturally led to that situation. The Doctor being suddenly knowledgeable of the silence was (again in my opinion) probably due more to Moffat wanting to get the characters to a particular point (being knowledgeable about the silence) without doing the proper legwork because he used up all his talent on season 5. I feel that if the Doctor had notes on them a small scene where he discovers them would have been in the episode.

I remember when Moffat was king of the world. Now I'd be happy if Gatiss took over. drat meta plots.
That's wonderful.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 5, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

josh04 posted:

There is a scene where the Doctor is given notes on the Silence, their powers and influence. It's in the Wedding of River Song. That's also the episode which sets up "...you should kill us all on sight!" where keeping the Silence alive destroys Area 52.

~backwards season~
I cannot tell if you're joking or if that's actually how season 6 was constructed. My knowledge of Doctor Who is predominantly 1963-2010. Everything else is a non-canon blur.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

docbeard posted:

Is it wrong that I want the Master to invite herself aboard the TARDIS as a companion next season? Not as part of any kind of elaborate scheme, just hanging out and declaring that she is in fact the Doctor's best bud and trying to "help" and complicating everything because they can't work out how to get rid of her.
I would actually like it if the Doctor basically took her hostage for a few episodes and they were grudging companions until she betrays him inevitably and gets away. Give them a chance to be friends again for a little bit.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I was specifically thinking like 7 and Klein from the audios. I've never seen Scream, is it any good?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Bown posted:

But the scene where Clara becomes responsible for the Doctor growing up to be a good person is easily the most "egregious sin", if we want to be hyperbolic, that Moffat has ever committed as showrunner.

notably with making Smith 13 and aging him so loving much and Clara telling Hartnell which TARDIS take and the entire climax of Name actually, but this is the worst one.
Yes yes yes, I hate this scene and every time Moffat goes and mettles with past stories. Even if he were still talented and capable of coherent, original and engaging stories with well written, well rounded characters it would be disgusting. He has actually framed himself as the entire reason the Doctor exist as he does, which is horseshit from a character perspective. Hartnell was a loveable selfish old man who was interested in himself, his granddaughter and occasionally a few other people, and over time grew into an adventurer who would stand up for the little guy. It wasn't until Troughton that he declared himself the enemy of evil everywhere, and even then he killed occasionally. For Moffat to go back and shove his convoluted half thought out trash into the core of the character is a disservice to the entire show.

That's why I don't accept the modern series as anything more than fan fiction (apart from season one) which occasionally puts out a good story worthy of the title. And when I'm getting all worked up over the plight of the show I remember there are lots of classic stories and good audios I've yet to watch and listen to, and I chill out.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

After The War posted:

That scene didn't bother me.

Bad writing is its own crime, but getting up in arms about pre-series backstory by default is pointless.
I'm glad it didn't bother you. I wasn't attempting to change anyone's opinion of the show, that's just how I feel. My problem with it was that it wasn't pre-series, it was season 7 Moffat retconning the whole reason we have the character like he is (leg grab, TARDIS). That's gross to me. Moffat doesn't hold a candle to those earlier writers and producers, and to claim any responsibility for any element of that character before he became showrunner is not right.

josh04 posted:

What's the difference between the opening sequence in Name of the Doctor, and any given Big Finish story with a past Doctor? They're both insertions into the 'past' of a show almost defined by its shifting relation to its own non-canon.
The audios are their own contained stories usually. I'm sure a few have gone and interacted with the established "past" of the show, most don't. They take place in their respective eras and don't bother any other serial. When Moffat reaches into the past it's like a child playing with his action figures. Except canon.

2house2fly posted:

This is dumb, Clara didn't make the Doctor the way he is she repaired the damage the Great Intelligence did, keeping him the way he is. I kind of view Listen the same way; she accidentally meddled in the Doctor's past by grabbing his foot and tried to damage control by telling him not to be scared.
I wasn't specifically talking about the climax to season seven, that bothers me too but like you said it basically takes care of itself. What bothers me most is the "pick that TARDIS" and the end of Listen, when the "man so brave he dosn't need a gun" is seemingly meant to have a formative impact on The Doctor. Instead of character development which lasted seasons and regenerations we're suppose to accept cheap timey-wimey "cleverness". You may be right that the scene was "new" as far as the universe was concerned and from Hartnell - Smiths incarnations that scene never happened. I don't believe the show or Moffat intended that to be the case though.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

cargohills posted:

Excise this word from your vocabulary and stop caring about it. You'll feel better.
You're right that it doesn't matter that much, especially Doctor Who canon. And I wanna state again I have plenty of good Doctor Who to watch, so I'm not too bothered. But it is still poorly thought out, poorly implemented retrojection. If Moffat was at season 5 punching weight I wouldn't mind as much.

I've got some seven audios I wanna listen to but I can't choose between House of Blue Fire and Lurkers at Sunlights Edge. Anyone have opinions on either?

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I heard once that Doctor Who gets their budget cut every season, is that true? Does anyone know if they're still doing it?

jivjov posted:

Unless you buy the theory that he went off and had dozens of solo adventures during the end sequence of Rose haha
I like this theory and there is no other point really where nine isn't around Rose. I'm not saying it's canon I just think it fits after Ecceltston left.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

moffat will explain it in depth. he can't leave it alone, remember he had to shove in a quick scene to show us what was behind the door in the hotel episode.
I must have blocked that out I can't remember what it was. drat, that was such a nice thing to add a little mystery to the character. Moffat forgets a huge part of the character is suppose to be the mystery of him.

Bicyclops posted:

At SDCC, when Capaldi was asked why he thinks the Doctor has such an affinity for humans, he said "Budgetary reasons," which, along with "the practical reality of the filmed television world"
That's great. I'm fine with Earth stories as long as they film on location.

edit: Oh god Moffat made it a crack in time. One of the only great episodes that season and he's gotta put his grubby little hands in it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 16, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Please consider reviewing a reconstruction CobiWann. I would be interested in reading it even if I had seen it.

Anyone got a favorite reconstruction? Mine's The Macra Terror, it really is scary sometimes (and I'm usually not scared by Who at all) and moves well. It is to my great shame that I have only watched the first episode of Troughton's inaugural episode.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Somehow Marco Polo is very scary for the first part of it, because just hearing Carole Anne Ford scream and scream with only a few still images for context is really loving unsettling.
I forgot about Marco Polo, that's a great serial. The colorized version adds a little something too. I heard a rumor that Disney wanted to make a movie out of it, now that could have been something.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

It was Enemy Of The World but then Phil Morris raided Mugabe's sock drawer and actually found the whole thing.
Enemy of the World is a complete serial? Hot drat, I thought I had run through all of Troughtons whole stories.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, it was released amidst much hullabaloo when it was discovered, along with a mostly complete version of The Web of Fear (the only missing episode is the first meeting of the Doctor and what would become the Brigadier :doh:)
Woah really? I enjoyed The Web of Fear a lot when I watched the snaps from it.

Gaz-L posted:

Ice Warriors has an 'official' animated reconstruction though.
I'm glad it does and I'm happy people enjoy watching them but the cartoon reconstructions are hard for me to watch. It makes following the action a lot easier but they can never really get the actors facial expressions or body language, and with Troughton that's missing a lot. Of course the snaps miss a lot too, but if you're lucky you get a good image of the actor and can fill in the blanks. Sometimes when I'm watching a reconstruction the film appears different from the scene before, and I realize that's because it's actual footage and what I saw before was my imagination filling in the gaps between the snaps.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Burkion posted:

I'm happy for you.
This is why I like this thread. It seems like most other places on SA people are itching to argue about something to bolster their ego. Here you can like whatever you want, because who the hell should care about someone's contradicting opinion on a subjective piece of media.

jivjov posted:

The whole message of "meds for mental issues are bad" really soured me on Doctor Who as a whole for a while...I mean, did NOBODY who had script input on that episode realize what a lovely and potentially dangerous message that is to send? Didn't Capaldi or Coleman get to that point in a table read and go "What the gently caress?"
I hated that episode so thoroughly I never gave it much thought, and I feel you're right (for the very most part) that people should be on their prescribed meds. But I think what the episode was trying to say was some children are prescribed certain medication because it helps them fit into the gears of society, and not because it's what best for them or well suited to their particular situation. They failed in communicating that however and it came across as a general "Don't trust pills kids!".

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Oh I agree with you, it was executed poorly. Like everything in that episode, and half the things in that season. I'm gonna go back to my classic cave now and watch some Power of the Daleks.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Dr. Gene Dango, MD..... or Dr Gene MUGABE, ZD? :aaa:
I would give a leg for all of Troughtons serials. Maybe both. Best Doctor, and over half of his stuff is gone! Whenever I get depressed over it I just remind myself it's a miracle any survive, and that reconstructions can still be drat good stories.

edit; My copy of Power of the Daleks has a werid buzzing noise throughout the episodes, can anyone link to a good version? I don't think youtube has every episode.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 27, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah... Season Nine spoiler: Its a shame Moffat is revisiting the events of that episode and changing them as the big plot hook for this season.
It's stuff like this makes me canonically consider the new show fan fiction. Nerds just can't leave well enough alone. And I know canon doesn't matter, I get that, especially with this show. But at the same time every time the paisley chump showrunner has gone back to the well it has not only resulted in a bad episode, but cheapens the serials it's supposedly paying homage to. This is just my opinion, if you like him rubbing his sticky fingers all over stories written by authors far more talented than he, then good for you. When I watch Doctor Who the only thing that matters is what the authors writing the stories at the time believed to be canon. Troughton did not leave Gallifrey to hide the hand of Omega, he ran away because he was bored and had a whole universe to explore. Genesis of The Daleks will always happen the way it did.

Of course Eccelston is canon because he's wonderful.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

After The War posted:

Now I'm not going to say that canon isn't what you make it, but you take Hartnell out of the picture and we's gonna have words. :toughguy:
No sir, of all my versions of Who canon the most pristine one is Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee. I've got one that includes every episode and audio drama, which I call the "gently caress it nothing matters" 'verse. In it several versions of the Doctor narrowly avoid meeting each other in Pompeii and on the Titanic, and Napoleon is a very busy man.

2house2fly posted:

It's a rumour, Moffat is a huge canon nerd and the thought of retconning a classic series episode out of existence would probably make him vomit. For all his time travel bullshit the closest he's ever come to saying "something you saw on the show has been changed and now never happened" was saving Gallifrey instead of burning it.
It's more what he adds that bothers me. So far he's (through the episodes that he's written) taken responsibility for Hartnell picking that TARDIS, gave the young Doctor a formative experience about non-violence and helping people, and had Clara and The Great Intelligence temporally arm wrestle each other off screen in every classic episode. I forgave the 13 doctors appearing to seal Gallifrey away in the 50th special because it was fan service, but it also made no sense at all. Not even Doctor Who sense.

Again, this is just a tv show and if you enjoy Moffats metaplot retrojections then more power to you.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Nonsense, the melding of their timelines would obviously affect their memories, so the Doctor can't recall what his future self did. Like how Tennant met the Fifth Doctor
I don't know exactly what you're referring to in my post, was it the 13 Doctors using the painting device to seal Gallifrey away? My problems with that was not due to the other 9 not remembering it, they are
1. All the Docs appearing in the center of an event which before this episode was LOCKED OFF forever and ever. Now people can just waltz in and out.
2. The fact that the device which enabled his plan being discovered in that episode. How could 9-11 be working on the calculations for hundreds of years when the very thing that would allow him to do it was just discovered? Not to mention it seemed like the last thing on his mind would be Gallifrey after the war. Also Hartnell and Troughton were Time Lord super criminals and probably would not want to go back.
3. The "End" of the time war being the Daleks shooting themselves is some Loony Toons crap. This is the Time War, THE Time War, and we're suppose to believe that at that point literally every single Dalek ship was at Gallifrey and every one got destroyed? That the only base of power the Time Lords had was Gallifrey? And even if all that made total sense, my problem with it is really a character one. The Time War was the only thing in the modern series which added to the mystery of the character, the universe and the show. It was suppose to be inconceivable, and now it's a BBC set, one planet and one fleet.

Jerusalem posted:

only now the GI is gone (having burned out and died in the process, something it knew would happen but thought was a price worth paying) and explicitly replaced by Clara, who ensures things go the way they were meant to go.

He picked that TARDIS, the GI went back and affected something subtly enough so that the Doctor chose another, then Clara overwrote that by setting things back the way they were originally.
That certainly is a better way of looking at things. That brings up another point that's always bothered me though, the GI killing himself to spoil his enemy seemed cheap. This dude wants power and life, so he gives both up because he's angry? It just seemed like the episode was ending soon, so Moffat had to kill off the season long threat quickly to tie everything up.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 30, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

And now it's not locked, so they could get there.

's pretty simple.
If some magical space deity appeared to Hartnell and Troughton and said " Hey come back to Gallifrey" I don't know if they would. Troughton was terrified at the idea of even letting the Time Lords know where he was because he knew he would get snatched. I don't think he could have comprehended the situation Gallifrey was in before popping in to help. It was in the episode for the fans.

2house2fly posted:

The Moment let them through.
I'll accept these and they're good points, but the way the Doctors got there is not what really bothers me about it. I want the show to be fresh and new again, but the showrunner is either recycling the ideas that got him the position in the first place or literally revisiting the history of the show with meta plot nonsense.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The rule of non-interference is one of (if not the) Time Lords most sacred law and The Doctor breaks it all the time. I believe the punishment the Time Lords had in store for Troughton was going to be much more severe if he had not shown them the good he was doing, and then guilt tripped them for sitting in their ivory towers doing nothing while people suffered. In World Game Troughton worried he would be erased from existence, past and present, for his crimes. I believe the Time Lords did consider him a super criminal, but we'll agree to disagree.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

No not really, I expected the thing to be fan service.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I forgave the 13 doctors appearing to seal Gallifrey away in the 50th special because it was fan service
Of all the meddling with classic Who the 50th special is the lowest on my list of things that annoy me. I wrote a bunch of :words: about it because (as I understand it) BottledBodhisvata believed the issue I had with it was their memories of the event not being present beforehand. Also because I'm a big nerd. But we don't have to discuss anything about it any further, I'm not attempting to change anyone's opinion.

I bet the new season will have some good episodes!

edit; Has anyone read players? I don't usually go for written Who but if it's a semi sequel to World Game and written by Terrance Dicks I'm interested.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 30, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Less known is that Robert Holmes was so nervous about writing his first Doctor Who story that Terry Nation decided to mentor him by replacing the script,"The Monster that Terrifies Children" with a ripping little tale of his own called The Space Pirates.
Was Holmes first story The Space Pirates? It's a rather good one. And drat, I gotta watch Genesis again. It sits with Caves and War Games as old episodes with amazing pacing.

Does anyone have a "classic" who story that they're not overly fond of? I mean one that everyone swears by but you just didn't enjoy that much? I would have to go with The City of Death, it's good don't get me wrong but I never considered it in my top thirty, let alone one of my very favorites. This is all subjective, of course.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

Of course, the exception to the Davison era for me is Caves of Androzani, which I adore. I just wish I loved Davison's other stories as much as I loved that one.
Caves of Adrozani has one of my least favorite Doctors (sorry Davison nothing personal) my least favorite companions (that one is personal) and manages somehow to be my favorite classic serial behind The War Games.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do modern stories count? Because I don't like Day of the Doctor, Silence in the Library, The Pandorica Opens, The Impossible Astronaut, The Time of Angels hold on I'm seeing a theme
Sorry no, if they did count I would have to include the majority of Tennant and Smiths run. And unfortunately, Capaldi. He's wonderful, but there's only so much he can do with those lines and situations.

2house2fly posted:

I didn't like City Of Death because I'd already read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
Haha, yeah.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

That's a good point. I suppose even despite my classic series bias I've got to admit some modern episodes are among the best the series has ever produced.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Curse of Fenric as a six-parter. :allears:
That could be amazing. Curse is a real diamond in the rough. As Much as I like Seven I'll be the first to admit it was not the best period of the show and there were plenty of bad episodes during his run. Colditz rules too.

Tom Baker starts to loose me with the robot dog and totally when Adric joins. Still has some of the best episodes ever under his belt, but I wouldn't put him in my top five.

pinacotheca posted:

Incidentally, I'd love to have been in the post-hiatus meeting where they decided the best way forward visually was not only to keep Colin's coat but also give him a massive bubble perm as well. Even complete creative exhaustion can't fully explain that one.
The blue coat is so good I might headcanon all of his episodes/audios to it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 3, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The Enemy of the World is really good. Salamander may be my favorite Who villian.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 4, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Spatula City posted:

random thing: I'm considering running a Doctor Who Mafia game on another forum, but probably only encompassing the revival since I know very little about anything prior to that (I really want to get into Old Who, but it's on a long priority list, and not in the top 20). Anyone here familiar with Mafia, and willing to offer some fun role suggestions?
If you want a Doctor Who feel for the game I suggest making one person a Time Lord (possibly The Time Lord we all know) who "Regenerates" when killed. He could "save" people from being killed and his win condition could be the "innocents" succeeding or you could play with an evil Time Lord who has his own agenda. The innocents would probably have to be given a power of their own to balance the special powers of the "Mafia" races, maybe humans could vote for two people to "lynch" in the morning, since humans are all stars at killing each other. They could end up hurting themselves with it too, but maybe that rule would only be good with 10+ players.

The Mafia can be any villain really, and you could use variants for different types of games. Cybermen could "convert" innocent players, Zygons could be extra good at disguising themselves, skies the limit really. I'm sure you could come up with cool ideas mechanically for the Weeping Angels and Autons too. As with any game just try to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of the roles as best as you can, and adjust for balance, playability and fun. Give Classic Who a shot, it's the good poo poo. The modern stuff is methadone to me.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 5, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Death to Sherlock, more like. It hasn't been good since season 1. :smug:
I can't help but agree with you. Even with the oriental episode, it's excellent.

Burkion posted:

Normally I'd agree but Moffat has literally cost us a season before.
By my count he's cost us two and a half seasons.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Burkion posted:

Where'd the second come from?

Season 6 was staggered but it all took place in one year
It was a joke on the general quality of the show since season 6.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Burkion posted:

The plot of Day of the Doctor wasn't great.

Still the best Doctor Who thing we got that year

I respectfully disagree.

• Locked thread