Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

monster on a stick posted:

I just started watching classic Who using suggestions in the first post.

100,100 AD was OK but dragged on
The Mutants (not suggested) had way too much padding with leaving the city/going back/etc.
Tomb of the Cybermen was excellent except for silly looking and difficult to understand Cybermen, I like Two a lot
Spearhead from Space not bad, but apparently no Tardis adventures = what's the point. Three is good though.
Robots of Death was surprisingly good, I would say intriguing more than scary. Four was fun. "Jelly Babies?" made me LOL.
City of Death (not suggested but everyone was recommending it recently) Well executed, especially with Glover being in all time streams at once.
Kinda I hate Adric too, almost to the point where I'd avoid any episode with him. Celery stick distracting.

So favorite Doctors so far would be Two and Four respectively. Best companion is obviously Romana.

Any suggestions on what to watch next?
If you want more Four, Genesis of the Daleks or Ark in Space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also I, Claudius if you want to see Hurt (and a bunch of other famous, talented British actors).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

And Yrcanos, playing the wise Augustus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The strong reaction the first half of Deep Breath gets always surprises me.

Capaldi is fantastic though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like the bit in Kill the Moon where they seriously suggested that no creature would lay an egg right near a food source, and that no animal would kill other creatures just in order to reproduce.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You could fix the mental health stuff and you'd still be left with a fantastically stupid episode about non-burning trees and where the protagonists have no impact on the plot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I think the worst thing a story can be is morally repulsive, but fortunately Doctor Who stories almost never are, so, yeah, their biggest sin tends to be when they're dull.

I can't think of any that are morally repulsive off the top of my head; at least not any where the issues go beyond specific choices / events (yellowface in Weng Chiang, mental health stuff in Forest).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

adhuin posted:

I never understood the fascination with Singles. Even if I liked the song, what I was going to do with just one? Put in on a loop?
Turn it over and play the B-side?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

They had to add the cape to make Alpha Centauri look less like a penis, but it had, uh, limited effectiveness.

What the picture doesn't convey is how hilarious the voice they chose was.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

So I did some tallying of Classic Who and came up with some grim numbers. I'm only nine Tom Baker serials away from having seen his entire era, and thus the entirety of 70's Who. Add on the four Davison era stories I've not seen, and that completes all of Classic Who in color.

...I'm almost out of Doctor Who stories to watch, guys. :ohdear:
Nine Baker serials almost guarantees one classic (or at least pretty good) story you've not seen!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

End of Time was on TV earlier tonight, and it finally dawned on me that the reason that part 2 is better than part 1 is because Rusty had an extra day to write it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Harry Sullivan just put his foot in a giant clam. Inside a cave.

Harry Sullivan is an imbecile.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There are five (finished) 6-parters in Baker's run, and they're either classics or flabby messes, with no middle ground.

E: I really can't see how Shada could have sustained a 6-part story either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

qntm posted:

I definitely think it's time the Doctor Who theme got experimental and actively bizarre-sounding again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jla5ecXBXQ

One of my favourite experimental versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I've posted before about how much I love State of Decay, when I still had time to do my detailed breakdowns
It's one of my favourites too, and not just because it was one of the first stories I saw.

The music reminds me of old adventure games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6elAeX07I4

• Locked thread