Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Doctor posted:

Wasn't that a line in Kill the Moon? That they could keep shooting, but he'd still be standing.

I think that was in the audio Colditz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What are some good Seven audios other than Colditz? I want to explore him more, he's a devilish manipulator.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

monster on a stick posted:

Also, for modern Who, why does Robot of Sherwood get such bad reviews? I thought it was campy fun.

Mostly the campiness but I think they also cut a scene that made the plot a little confusing (about the sheriff turning into a cyborg).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cleretic posted:

I went to an all-boys high school, and our English teacher made us do that with Romeo and Juliet.

I'm torn on whether that was a good idea, because giving a class full of teenage boys that script will actually make the comedic intentions of the play very clear.

Accurate to the original production at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CobiWann posted:

Has there ever been another story where, like The Doctor Dances, everyone lives? Terminus maybe?

Fear Her?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I enjoyed the first half of Deep Breath but I also enjoyed the Slide Whistle from Man with the Golden Gun.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Martytoof posted:

OK so I just watched Listen and it's the first episode of Doctor Who that has completely lost me. I just couldn't follow it at all after the halfway mark. I mean I THINK I get it, but then I have no idea what the whole part about the ship at the end of time was all about, and what was opening the airlock. How did Clara end up at the barn? I am just so :psyduck: because it was going great then the episode shifted into overdrive and went hundreds of feet over my head.

Maybe it needs a second watching.

You know how in a lot of monster movies you have someone say "it's probably the house settling...or maybe it's something else"? This episode makes it genuinely ambiguous as to whether something is out there or not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Martytoof posted:

Are we supposed to assume that the thing on Danny's bed in the orphanarium was just some random alien thing then?

Supposedly it was just another kid playing a prank on him. Or maybe it wasn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

I'll never enjoy an episode that would have been exactly the same if our heroes had just staid home and took a nap.

What's the point of including the main characters if that's the case?

A lot of people like Midnight for some reason, so I dunno.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

And Midnight affected the Doctor deeply and shook him to his core- he was helpless, but his presence still mattered.

His presence mattered to him but not anyone else.

Although it's never referenced again so even that is suspect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

After The War posted:

Nick Briggs sighed as began casting a series set against the history of recorded music. "MOTOWN OF THE DALEKS", "NASHVILLE OF DEATH", "PRISONERS OF SUN RECORDS"

I can't believe you forgot Hotel California.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Production Code had only ended like five years prior to that film so I'm guessing they still didn't know how to rate things accurately.

The introduction of PG-13 definitely helped quite a bit even though it wouldn't have for that particular film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm listening to Sword of Orion right now and I think a Cyberman remake of Alien would be cool (even if it's "against the original depiction " or whatever).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Doctor posted:

Wesley/Alexis Denisof's English accent is astoundingly good. I say this as an Englishman that I had no clue he wasn't one of us. A few years later I heard his real American accent and it's the most cringeworthy Californian accent, real "oh wow gee" stuff.

The opposite of this is probably Andrew Garfield who just sounds silly with an English accent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CobiWann posted:

Oh, and just when you thought it was safe because the weekend was over…

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/special-offers-on-the-doctor-who-main-range

Yay, more reason to spend cash now that the Steam sale is over.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bown posted:

Finally finishing up the Capaldi season and on Dark Water and man Clara went from actually quite likeable to a total awful maniac insanely quickly. If I was the Doctor I would have taken her to an actual volcano and booted her in. That was OTT even for grief-mania.

Overall though I really enjoy this season, the best since 5 easily

Make sure you watch the Christmas special, it kinda deals with that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Little_wh0re posted:

which audios in the 51-100 range are worth listening to?

I was recommended Scherzo, Night Thoughts, and Time Works, but I haven't listened to any of them yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rochallor posted:

This is pretty cool news for stuff going forward but the Weeping Angels in audio form just sounds like the dumbest loving idea. I have no idea how this is going to work unless they're an extremely minor aspect of whatever story it is.

I'm imagining it's like the beginning of Chimes of Midnight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Audio chat: I just finished Red and I think my favorite part is how the AI actually wasn't the killer all along, since that seemed to be where it was heading with all of the "let me augment you sir" and the like. They really did emphasize his fear too.

Also whoever was praising McCoy and his rolling Rs weren't kidding.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think that speech was more for the audience's benefit instead of the Doctor's.

Unless you think that the main reason why he wanted to find the invisible leg grabbing creatures is for them to explain what exactly they meant with all that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz-L posted:

I will say one idea that I'm pretty sure is going to disappoint everyone here if true, but was the first thing I though on seeing that trailer: Maisie Williams is probably playing Clara. She's wearing the orange spacesuit that Coleman's shown in earlier in the trailer, and while she doesn't sound especially Northern, that 'old man' crack would be very in character.

The Girl Who Waited, but in reverse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Every time I hear Boom Town I think of that 11 story with the cyborg Clint Eastwood character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

I thought that was already covered about as well as could be hoped for in Deep Breath, outside of the infinitely preferable option of just ignoring it entirely. :smith:

No, this is why he looks like the Roman guy. It was covered.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is that the season with the weird orientalist yellow peril episode?

Yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Series 8 is now on (US) Netflix, for anyone who wants to revisit it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Have we seen that special Dalek before? He looks familiar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

One Swell Foop posted:

While we're on themechat, I just wanted to remind everyone that seventeen years after Delia Derbyshire rewrote his score for experimental synthesizer, Ron Grainer eventually recorded his original arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

If I ever make an Austin Powers style Doctor Who parody I know what I'm using for the theme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Matt Smith is Henry Cavill. :swoon:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoctorWhat posted:

wasn't he a character in Blake's 7?

He was also in Harry Potter for like 5 minutes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I stopped watching the show at series 7, not out of lost interest so much as other things taking preference. Now I'm kind of wondering... What happened? Not, like, in the series, but it seems like the public interest for the series just disappeared midway through series 8. Was this just in the group I was in, or were people just not that impressed with Peter Capaldi, or did it move in a different direction that didn't go over well?

A lot of people tuned in for the pretty boy aspect.

Not really enough to matter, mind you, but the most vocal people.

Jsor posted:

I was referring to the 7th episode, which regardless of personal opinions, is where a lot of my friends stopped watching. :v:

Interestingly the Caretaker had the lowest viewership ratings.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 23, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

Personally I think he's just old and a little fed up with observing social niceties, and it's made pretty obvious on multiple occasions that he still cares deeply. His bit to Clara about doing what must be done at the end of Mummy is a pretty good encapsulation of the kind of person he is, and the lengths he is willing to go to.... but that doesn't mean he is callous or cruel.

Yeah I see this a bunch with old people, and I know a bunch of old researchers in particular. They're not trying to be cruel but they've had bullshit thrown at them for decades so they just want to get back to what they do.

Though if they really wanted to capture that they'd have Capaldi do the same rant about Daleks every 3 episodes, regardless if they were in the episode or not. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trin Tragula posted:

My dad hasn't watched Doctor Who since 1966, because he's never completely got over the childhood trauma of his biggest hero falling down and turning into someone else.

He should watch An Adventure in Space and Time.

• Locked thread