Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

"We" can't agree on anything!

(snip)

I agree with you.

CobiWann posted:

Bugger.

Has it really been four Doctors in ten years?

Well, five if you count Hurt.

Six if you count Paul McGann!

You always count Paul McGann! You can always count ON Paul McGann (to be an excellent Doctor (even with what the Fox movie gave him to work with))!

Damnit, I still say we need a series/series of specials with him. He was robbed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I read the wiki about it. I still don't understand this:

1) The TARDIS can travel in time

2) The TARDIS can move planets

3) They know the Daleks originated on Skaro

4) Go back in time to when Skaro was first starting to form, and toss it into its star.

5) Problem solved.

The entire billion year history of Skaro can't be time locked.

You do that, and you violate Article #7 of Gallifreyan law!
And article #7 permits no exceptions!

(But, even if you do, just this one time for the Daleks, there's also the Kaleds to worry about.)

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

My memory at the time was just in general being confused by it, like it just didn't make any particular sense to me why it would be there at all. The half-human stuff was far more annoying to me.

Luckily, you could say that's fixable because, as 11 explicitly taught us, The Doctor Lies.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Arthur Darvill has just joined the cast of the next DC/CW tv series as Rip Hunter!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/doctor-who-alum-joins-flasharrow-spinoff-as-dc-time-traveler

As we all know Rory is the greatest companion in the history of all Who so this is awesome news!

But will Rip Hunter ever get the chance to punch Hitler in the nose?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

CaptainYesterday posted:

For some reason, Disney XD has picked up Tennant-era DW for broadcast in the US. Just Tennant.

I don't have Disney XD, do they cut up content to stuff in commercials like BBC America? Or do they add time to add commercials, and not do any cuts? (I so hate those cuts.)

As far as XD picking up Tennant and only Tennant... Well, X equals 10, and D is for Doctor?
(ok, ok, I'll leave...)

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

haha, "what the gently caress are you doing, master?"

I realize the color of the Doctor's jacket is supposed to match the Title, but... bleh. Way too much purple.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

And then she becomes the new companion!

Considering her current mental state (as in, being mental), I could see her trying that out for a while.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Fred is on posted:

I can't really see a season of this, but I'd kill for a Christmas special in which they actually team up.

I could.

Motivations:

Master: Could be a more extreme version of Turlough. ("I'll play along, looking for the right moment to kill him..." when she doesn't want to be his best friend. As I said, mental).
Doctor: Now, I could let her run around the universe unchaperoned and be totally destructive, or I could "keep my enemies close" and keep and eye on/contain her for as long as I can stand.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Someone accurately described it as being so excited about being adult it forgot to be grown up.

On the other hand, someone once said "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." However, TW may have taken it a tad far...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

One Swell Foop posted:

Terry Gilliam once said of Time Bandits that he'd tried to make a film that was fun enough for grown-ups, but smart enough for kids. Torchwood seemed to try, and fail, to take the opposite approach.

That said, I do think that Bilis Manger was one of the creepiest villains I've seen in TV and was a better antagonist than the show deserved.

Yeah, first season was a bit of a bomb. They got better later, and of course, Children of Earth!

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

CobiWann posted:

My wife has expressed interest in the Torchwood audios.

Which means I will have to review them.

gently caress.

gently caress!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Well, at least you won't get the urge to gouge your eyes out. Ears... is another story.
But the eyes are safe!

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

there was a moffat short where 11 landed the tardis inside the tardis. in that story it caused a time loop they couldn't escape from or something.

There was also a moffat regular episode ("The Doctor's Wife") where a TARDIS, while carrying another (well, part of a) TARDIS, landed inside the Doctor's TARDIS...

In that background show, one of the staff said it was "A very tardisey episode"...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, I think having Clara come back for another season is a mistake. That christmas special was the perfect goodbye to the character, with a lovely tacked on ending that wait, its not goodbye after all!

While true, I think they did the best they could with her last second "no-I-wanna-stay" 180. Hopefully, she'll make up for that shoe-horned ending by working very hard/being exceptional next season, since she'll realize she was nearly not there. We shall see.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

That's an inference which isn't supported by the episode itself, in they're shown waking up absent Clara. The episode plays heavily on the audience not knowing if Clara is leaving or not, but it's hard to imagine they started writing an episode not knowing for sure whether or not one of the characters was going to leave.

edit: oh hey, immediately after posting I see this:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-05/jenna-coleman-was-originally-going-to-leave-doctor-who-at-the-end-of-series-8

so what do i know

Can't argue with that. Welp. That's why I'm not a TV critic.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

2house2fly posted:

For a Christmas special it works so much better as a dream that brings them back together.

Still, if you want a dark and sad ending, the final shot of the episode is a tangerine, hinting that they're still in the dream forever!!

...until Clara wakes up, goes into the bathroom, sees Danny in the shower, and tells him she had the strangest dream.

In Dallas Texas, of course.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Noxville posted:

Jobs spent the first year after diagnosis doing acupuncture and spiritualism rather than treating his cancer though.

Seems Hurt's doing the opposite, being both aggressive with his treatment and saying "drat the torpedoes" and going full steam ahead with what he wants to do - continue his career.

• Locked thread