Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: Doctor Who returns 19 September :siren:

:arghfist:

10 Years ago this day (it's past midnight in London), BBC One broadcasted an episode of Doctor Who. For the first time in over fifteen years, there were regular adventures of the Doctor, going through time and space righting wrongs and facing off with evil beings. It had its rough patches (I'm looking at you, Slitheen), but it found its foothold and returned to being a cultural mainstay. There will be no special to mark the ten year anniversary of the revival (although that puzzle game for your phone is doing something), but let's not forget the wilderness years. Series 9/Season 35 begins in the Autumn, and we only know two episodes' names. We know at least one villain returning, but it's fuzzy whether or not we can talk about him/her/it/them.

Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if Queen Elizabeth II, Barack Obama, and Vladimir Putin have a three-way press conference on every channel to reveal life on Mars and also that Martha Jones is a Rutan, DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you can start with The Eleventh Hour. This doesn't mean to disregard the 9th and 10th Doctor's stories, but it's the easiest way to get caught up. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Web of Fear (note: episode three is missing)
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO ON TELEVISION?

Original Series:
UK - Drama, Horror
USA - Retro TV, some PBS stations
Canada - you're out of luck
Australia - Syfy

Current Series:
UK - BBC One (first run), BBC Three, Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC2, Syfy, BBC UKTV

WHERE CAN I STREAM DOCTOR WHO?
Netflix has the current series up to the Time of the Doctor, and selected original series episodes. If you're in the United States, Hulu Plus has 413 original series episodes up as of this typing, and I'm not going to go in-depth about the ones they don't have.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE TOXXUPATION THREAD
Two guys, one a fan and the other a (former) hater, are watching all the revival episodes. The rules for that thread are even stricter, as you can't even hint about episodes Occupation hasn't watched yet. Still, it's interesting seeing a guy turn his feelings around of Doctor Who. Here is their thread.

A GUIDE TO DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS

There are hundreds, possibly thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people possibly like Minuet in Hell, but I doubt it). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are, and boy, are there a ton of different series. Confusing. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

Big Finish monthly releases
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and, occasionally, Eighth Doctors. Up to 198th(!) release next month.

The Lost Stories
Audio dramas based on scripts meant for television. Stories involving the first three doctors are "enhanced audiobooks", meaning there is narration as opposed to having a full cast.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
The most famous spin-off companion gets her own title, but rest assured, the Seventh Doctor appears.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Companion Chronicles
More enhanced audiobooks. Returning after a year-long haitus in June.

The Early Adventures
Black-and-white era Doctor Who enhanced audiobooks. Jemma Powell, who played Jaqueline Hill in An Adventure in Space and Time, will be doing these next year!

The New Series
Do you like all the new characters and monsters from the current series? Big Finish has plans for them!

Destiny of the Doctor
Enhanced audiobooks originally made by AudioGo for the 50th anniversary. Notable for featuring stories involving the Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Doctors.

The BBC Radio Adventures
If it was commissioned for the Beeb, it fits into this category. Contains the first Doctor Who audio drama, Doctor Who and the Pescatons, everything released by BBC Audio, Eighth Doctor Shada, and Real Time.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

Enough of that, let's party like it's 2005!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who sucks!

I see you no longer think it "loving sucks", which is a marked improvement of opinion.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Organza Quiz posted:

Are we really recommending that people jump onto the new series with Deep Breath and not The Eleventh Hour now? I mean I know it's the start of 12's run but it feels like a terrible jumping on point to me. There's just so much continuity between it and 11's run, besides it being a way worse episode.

I'm just following from Trin Tragula's last OP.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Also, Captain Yesterday, why is your av a potential GoT spoiler? Or not, I don't know/care.

Beats me, I don't know/care either.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There is zero point zero chance that Eccleston is doing Big Finish, but if we get a Companion Chronicle with Billie Piper, I'd still be stoked.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fine, FINE, I'll change the OP. You lied to me, Trin Tragula! You lied to all of us!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Who remembers the Doctor Who Programme Guide? Well, they're making the New Who Programme Guide, featuring everything (and I do mean everything, including prequels and mini-episodes) from the Eighth Doctor to the debut of the Twelfth Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark on Game of Thrones, will appear in the upcoming series. Despite my avatar's text, I've never watched the show.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Angela Christine posted:

You're missing 3 balls.

:golfclap:

The Time War, from what I reckon, exists outside of time, so any attempt to say when it takes place is futile. Unless, of course, you're talking about the Doctor's timeline or the timeline of another Time Lord.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In "nice try" news, the BBC is offering a BitTorrent Bundle featuring 12 episodes of the current series and bonus features for $12. I say "nice try" because, even with exclusive features, only offering selected episodes kind of defeats the point of downloading current series Doctor Who. If they had offered individual series for, say, $15, it would work much better.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

<puts the kettle on>

Tea, everyone?

You haven't been in England long, have you Donna Lucia?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
As I state in the OP, don't listen to any spin-offs starring companions created by Big Finish.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
For some reason, Disney XD has picked up Tennant-era DW for broadcast in the US. Just Tennant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

After The War posted:

A complete Floyd reunion. :smithcloud:

You'll get your whale songs and like it! :argh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
"SOS" by Rihanna, which heavily samples "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, which is featured in the Doctor Who episode The End of the World. Boom, two degrees of separation.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With all the new posts, I thought someone had died. Nope, good news! And my thread title remains accurate.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

Hey guys, anyone who has Archives, would you mind going back to the Forest thread for me and grabbing my initial bile filled review of the piece of poo poo?

I'd like to cross post it to the Toxx thread when it's time.

quote:

This episode was harmful.

This episode made me feel something- raw seething anger.

Honest to God, not the usual internet bullshit angry in a good way or angry in a fun way.

This episode was moronic, and HARMFUL to me personally.

I don't really care what anyone else has to say on this one. I'll listen to the thousands of ways you could redeem loving Christmas Carol, go ahead, that's all plot bullshit.

I don't care that the trees were magical or that the sonic screwdriver is a magic wand or that the problem just goes away or that the people aren't there or any of it because it's in the end just factors of a dumb story that isn't going to hurt anyone.

Clara CHOOSING to kill children instead of saving them? Not THINKING about the fact that they have a time machine that can zip around and grab MORE people? Such as parents?

That's pretty bad. That's god awful.

Here's what killed the episode for me and after which I, MYSELF, cannot enjoy.

I would have shut this episode off if I was not watching with others. I still almost did a few times.

A child is hearing voices, and ALL the Doctor can say is "why are you giving her medicine" out right stating that hearing voices is not a bad thing and is not harmful and that the child did not need medicine.

And since the Doctor is the role model of the show and this is a show for families including children, that means ANY child will hear that message.

Especially the children WHO NEED THAT MEDICINE.

As a brother who had a sister with schizophrenia and sociopathic tendencies? gently caress You.

As a person who has severe ADHD and needs medicine to function properly? gently caress YOU.

As a grandson who lives with his grandmother who has dementia?

And if that wasn't enough to piss me off, we have this WONDERFUL tid bit that is UTTERLY THROWN UNDER THE RUG- the military is going to be spraying CITIES with DEFOLIANT AGENTS?

HUMAN POPULATED AREAS.

As a grandson whose grandfather died due to lung cancer brought on because of exposure to Agent Orange?

Words, written or verbal, do not begin to cover it.

All of it, all of it just piled on, one after the other, made this an inexcusable episode of television.

If I wasn't as invested as I am in the series and franchise as a whole, this episode would make me quit watching.

I am dead serious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Since we average around 1.3 discovered episodes a year, I like to think we'll have a complete set of Doctor Who by 2090.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's always Spiral Scratch for the last Sixth Doctor story.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here in the US, we call that a 'Cavuto'.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

We're a couple weeks out from the new season, should we make a new thread or just stick with this one/ask a mod to update the title (not that we don't still talk incessantly about the audios!)

There's still two weeks. I think a new thread should be posted on the 18th.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm starting work on a new Big Finish guide for the Series 9/Season 35 thread. Apart from the following, what should be mentioned?

-Monthly range
-The Lost Stories
-The Fourth Doctor Adventures
-The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
-The Eight Doctor Adventures/Dark Eyes/Doom Coalition
-The Companion Chronicles
-The Early Adventures
-The New Series

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Technically speaking, there are two different Bernice Summerfield series: one featuring the Doctor, and one without.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Or if they read the 12th Doctor books, as she's just turned up in one.

:aaa: Now I know what I need to read.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finally got around to finishing watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. I'd have liked it better if anyone in the show knew what exactly the Blessing was.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who series 9 (35): What Took You So Long, Old Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425

• Locked thread