Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

She's a great actor and I'm sure she'll appreciate being on a show where no one dies!

Just this once? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

Oh good lord, I'd forgotten that that existed. The early 2000s were a weird period. Lots of Who-faces in it, I see. Tennant, Gatiss, Steve Pemberton and Charles Dance were in the first episode. Crikey. Two Doctors, Mycroft Holmes, and Tywin Lannister/The Patrician. Wait, why hasn't Charles Dance been in Who yet?

Charles Dance doesn't really have the slight touch of insanity needed to be the Master. He makes a brilliant Patrician though, and I hope he reprises the role at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Attitude Indicator posted:

haha, "what the gently caress are you doing, master?"

Looks like the Master's about to drop the Mic. Truly he is the sickest Master of rap in all time and space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

Red phone boxes aren't obsolete, in the sense that there's a bunch of them around still. I was briefly convinced that the one at the end of Dark Water was a Tardis when someone said there isn't actually a red phone box there in real life, because putting a red phone box into a scene for no reason is the action of a madman.

I like to think Missy enters it Get Smart-style - Stand in the booth, dial, drop into the TARDIS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I was super-excited for Season 8 and Capaldi, and I was horrified at how bad I found much of the opening half of Deep Breath. But then it gets good, REALLY good. Then it gets even better, then it gets amazing! And though this should really be a mark against it, in hindsight the scene with Missy is incredible because now we have all the context for who she is, what she's like.

Season 8 on the whole is really good, except for Forest of the Night. That one's just a trainwreck of terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I was really pleased overall with season 8, but yeah holy poo poo did Forest stand out as particularly terrible. Doctor Who and the Space Spiders was pretty poor too, but everything else was good to excellent.

Kill the Moon was at least entertainingly bad. Forest of the Night is just outright bad, with a pretty goddamn awful message to boot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was expecting them to go with a time-displaced jurrasic forest or whatever. Nope just Gaia theory bullshit delivered in the worst possible way.

Dont forget telling all the little kiddies they don't need their psych meds, the Doctor says you're just special :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

The Christmas Carol episode is good.

I was actually a little sad about the fake-out, because Clara turning out to be old and enjoying her last Christmas with the Doctor really would've been a great ending for her. Not to say she's been a bad companion, just that it would've been a really good surprise ending on its own. I did like the Doctor muttering on about how he can't tell if she's old or not :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

You can thank Jenna Coleman for changing her mind about leaving at the very last second for that fake-out.

I know, but just on its own merits it was damned good and a little sad it had to be faked-out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spatula City posted:

The Clara: impossible girl thing was conceptually interesting but it didn't really work. I guess you could see it as a metaphor for how guys tend to treat women as these mysterious puzzles that need to be solved when they're actually just people.

I think the only way it could've worked is if she kept getting offed every week and the Doctor just ran into a local version of her wherever he went.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Martytoof posted:

OK so I just watched Listen and it's the first episode of Doctor Who that has completely lost me. I just couldn't follow it at all after the halfway mark. I mean I THINK I get it, but then I have no idea what the whole part about the ship at the end of time was all about, and what was opening the airlock. How did Clara end up at the barn? I am just so :psyduck: because it was going great then the episode shifted into overdrive and went hundreds of feet over my head.

Maybe it needs a second watching.

Telepathic interface. Stick your hands in the TARDIS's gooey bits and think really hard about where you need to go. It's not normally used, because it overrides a shitload of safety features or something. Hence why it managed to get to Gallifrey.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barry Foster posted:

Animals of Farthing Wood was also straight up brutal at times. A butcher bird skewering all of Mrs Field Mouse's little babies on thorns comes to mind.

Yeah, Farthing Wood got dark at times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

The Farthing Wood cartoon got painfully neutered as it went on. When it got to adapting the final novel where the park gets attacked by an army of rats the rat characters were all cute buffoons :(

They probably had to do that to stop carving deep emotional scars in the children of at least two nations every Saturday morning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Tom was granted a single wish, and that was to get narration for his life from the best possible choice for narrator there was. That was the easiest day of work that genie ever had.

His life is narrated by BRIAN BLESSED?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm curious whether you were happy because Adric was dead or because "Earthshock" was over.

Bit of both, I'll wager.

At the very least it goes out with a bang.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I agree, the first half of Deep Breath had me genuinely concerned, but by the back half of that episode I was relieved. Then the season (with the exception of Forest of the Dead and Doctor Who and the Space Spiders) turned out to be very good with a bunch of good to exceptional episodes and some absolutely stand out moments. The reveal of who Missy was is handled incredibly, and Capaldi and Gomez just loving knock it out of the park with their performances.

:allears:

Michelle Gomez is so good as the Mistress, because she's managed to pull off that subtle kind of gleeful madness where you don't know what she's going to do next without it descending into full-blown lolrandom looney toons. Having her restrained just makes you wonder for how long, and once she's freed you know it's gonna be something bad, but not what exactly.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 28, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Diabolik900 posted:

All Masters involved must simultaneously betray each other.

I like the idea of it being a Doctor-lite story, simply because he knows the best solution is just to take a step back and wait until the knives are in everyone's collective backs before dealing with the last one.

Jerusalem posted:

I've always said, if there was ever a multi-Master story, the younger one would have to somehow come out on top, much to everybody's confusion.

Simple; he knew he'd have to take himself on one day and erased his own memory after setting his diabolical self-sabotaging scheme in motion! The youngest one still knows what'll happen, but the oldest won't! :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh my god, how could this possibly be any bette-

quote:

Michelle Gomez (Missy) will also lend their voices to game.

Holy poo poo. :suspense:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

All twelve, sir!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Could someone animate this into a AV for me?

I had to gut the colour quality to get it under 100k.

And an unaltered version if someone else wants to take a crack at it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, I don't think Missy is a spoiler, but Clara still being there kind of is, and Danny being conspicuously absent might be as well.

Roger Delgado manages four inescapable deaths a week. Being completely vaporized would stop him for all of an hour or two before he'd be brushing the dust of his coat and runningoff back to his disguised TARDIS while cackling like a loon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Wait...a British show Jerusalem hasn’t seen and I have?!?

Is this still our reality? Quick, who’s the Doctor? Who’s the showrunner? Am I on fire?!?

Peter Capaldi, Steven Moffat and not yet I can't get these loving matches to strike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

Basically Name Of The Doctor has a villain who wants to retcon a bunch of previous episodes so they never happened.

Fox Broadcasting?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rochallor posted:

All of Seven's run is really of remarkable quality. The only story that's actually, outright, not good is Time and the Rani, and even that's still better than like half of Six's episodes.

Four words; Delta and the Bannermen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

This is great, thanks for posting. I think this is cooler than the blob in a case, but who knows what the authors intended while the serials were being written.

Finished Enemy of the World. I honestly did not know I had such a good Who story waiting for me. I figured I had gone through most of the wheat of the classic series but boy was I wrong. I love it when the Doctor has to go up against humans, makes the stories feel so much more grounded and exciting. Troughton was and remains the most talented man to ever grace that show (in my humble opinion).

It's a cool design, but I think blob-in-a-tank is actually better. Considering they're not exactly big on fine manipulation with just a suction cup, I reckon it makes sense that the Dalek shell's as simple as plug-and-play rather than something fully-integrated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grim` posted:

Tony Slattery.

Is there still an irc channel and does anyone still watch episodes there?

Sean Bean. But he'd only have lasted the movie before regenerating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jsor posted:

Doctor Who Series 9: Any story can be told in one episode

Doctor Who Series 9: Any thread can be told in one post

• Locked thread