Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
One minor but very noticeable thing that annoys me about the new series is the overreliance on disintegration when somebody gets zapped with a raygun.

In the original series we had people turned into twisted dolls, melted into goo and transformed into a smoking heap. I even remember one story where they tried an interesting vfx with a burning photo!

Call me ghoulish but I want to see more interesting deaths!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
There must be a better 7th doc story than Battlefield?

"Boooooooooooooom!"

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Greatest Show In The Galaxy is nice and creepy, also has Sylvester at his most nonchalant!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

JNT apparently commited some sexual assaults whilst drunk :smith:

...but Matthew Waterhouse was ok with it!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

And he got into it as an adult (Baker was born in 1943 in the middle of an air raid) so he may very well have had at least some idea of how he would play the Doctor for close to 20 years before he actually got the part.

Which really makes it all the more depressing that he ended up saddled with Pip & Jane, Eric Saward, JNT at the height of his disinterest, and Michael Grade having it in for him personally.

You can't blame Michael really, he was sleeping with Mrs Baker after all.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Tomtrek posted:

Big Finish just announced a whole bunch of new series related content:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bf27june

That's... quite a lot! Mixing old Doctors with new series enemies is really interesting. It seems like they're basically being allowed to play with anything that isn't a new series Doctor at this point.

I assume that Churchill will not be an alcoholic fantasist in the audios and more the exuberant schoolboy he was in Victory of the Daleks.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Roy Marsden really is a fantastic actor, he was wasted in the brief role he had in Smith & Jones.
He is at his best as a character called Neil Burnside in a show called Sandbaggers, a realistic Cold War show you can see on Youtube

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Oh, is that the show about men in cheap suits dying in Prague?

The Sandbaggers is an amazing show and one that I recommend for a real look at how intelligence agencies work. One of the best opening credits ever as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDYHuE2Gbbw

It is, somehow makes arguing in offices about paperwork very watchable.
Callan is another show from the same company (Thames) that is in a similar vein, though more about being at the sharp end. You'll see Doctor Who guest stars appear pretty often, Russell Hunter who played Uvanov in Robots of Death is a regular.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, Sandbaggers sounds very much like my type of thing, thanks for the recommendation.

Sean: Jon Pertwee was my dad.
Peter: Yeah I used to wish that too. :shobon:
Sean: No he... I.... ahhh nevermind.

Callan is great too if you have never seen it, Edward Woodward's best role.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Wait...a British show Jerusalem hasn’t seen and I have?!?

Is this still our reality? Quick, who’s the Doctor? Who’s the showrunner? Am I on fire?!?

Russell Brand is the Doctor, Keith Boak is the showrunner!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

One thing about Genesis that wasn't mentioned in the review, I think Robert Holmes did a lot of rewrites and fleshing out of the story, that tale is as much his as Terry Nations.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's a rumour based on it being better than his last two efforts, I've never seen any evidence of it other than people just stating it as fact

Or it would be if it was funny

Going by Terry's track record, it is very plausible.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

On the subject of music, which story(ies) do you think have the best incidental music?

I like the stuff that Roger Limb did with Graeme Harper, namely Caves of Androzani and Revelation of the Daleks. His music sounds minimal but sinister. It is amazing the difference between those two stories and the work he did with other directors.

I'm curiously fond of Jonathon Gibbs in Vengeance on Varos too, though I suspect that is more due to nostalgia than anything else.

Controversially enough I even think that Keff McCulloch has a few good pieces. Most of his stuff is garbage but I like some of his work in Remembrance of the Daleks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Revenge of the Cybermen is notable for getting mundane performances out of two actors, David Collings and Kevin Stoney, who have contributed stellar performances to the show.
Further proof that the show was flawed, also the music does not suit a Cyberman show at all, sounds like it should be accompanying the adventures of animated frozen peas instead!

• Locked thread