Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh everything in the show makes sense on its own, it's just that people are dumb and the VN, due to being in a mostly textual medium, has to explicitly explain a lot of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I mean, with every other adaptation I've seen people usually say things in the form of, "Hey I didn't quite understand what happened there can anyone help me out or pull something from the source material?" With this exact show in particular people seem to be going, "this didn't quite make sense to me this is bullshit and this entire show is bullshit."

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
As an anime-only viewer, If I wanted to go back and watch the 2006 Fate route adaptation, would it spoil any of the upcoming Heaven's Feel arc?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Not really though it'll allude to one thing. You shouldn't watch it though cause it's poo poo.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Twiddy posted:

I mean, with every other adaptation I've seen people usually say things in the form of, "Hey I didn't quite understand what happened there can anyone help me out or pull something from the source material?" With this exact show in particular people seem to be going, "this didn't quite make sense to me this is bullshit and this entire show is bullshit."

Not really.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Didn't think I was poo poo posting. I just wanted to talk about what I thought were failings of UBW. Reading this thread has made me realize that I should divorce myself from the idea that UBW was a direct follow up to Fate/Zero and it's better to think of it as its own thing. After doing so, I have determined that it's not that great. Above par for you average anime but that's not really a testament of quality. Probably would not have watched it otherwise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mad Lupine posted:

Didn't think I was poo poo posting. I just wanted to talk about what I thought were failings of UBW. Reading this thread has made me realize that I should divorce myself from the idea that UBW was a direct follow up to Fate/Zero and it's better to think of it as its own thing. After doing so, I have determined that it's not that great. Above par for you average anime but that's not really a testament of quality. Probably would not have watched it otherwise.
that is fair

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Dude there was a poster literally saying the show should've been rewritten to not require a single person to have seen or understood the plot of the Fate route or leave any loose threads for Heaven's Feel.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The reaction to all this poo poo posting can simply be summed up with my avatar.

In fact almost every posts reaction can be summed up with it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

adaptions should probably stand on their own but UBW makes sense without the VN so i don't know why this became an argument

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Mad Lupine posted:

That is EXACTLY the mindset you should have gone in with in the first place. UBW is not a follow up to F/Z. That is a giant source of the issues people have over it, treating it like a follow up to F/Z, which it's not. It is it's own thing.

And feeling it's not great is fair enough.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Let's take a quick look at the many ways in which Shirou could have hosed up in this show.

If Shirou hadn't stopped Saber with a command spell, she would have kicked Archer's rear end. Rin has Archer retreat rather than lose him, hoping to escape with help of some of her gems. This doesn't work out, and Saber is about to take her head before Shirou finally stops her. With Archer being weakened from his fight, Rin decides to team up with Shirou from the beginning. While all this may seem positive, starting the fight with all three command spells and an ally, it means he is now stuck in Fate, the least cool route.

If Shirou had given up his command spells and abandoned the Grail War, Ilya and Berserker would have attacked him on his way home, after he had parted ways with Rin. Berserker breaks his legs and Ilya decides to keep him alive with magic and torture him indefinitely.

If Shirou had run away from the Berserker fight when Rin told him to, Saber would have been defeated off-camera (probably by Archer's nuke arrow), and a while afterwards someone stabs Shirou to death. Shirou doesn't see the killer before bleeding out.

If, when running away from Rin, Shirou had tried to get out of the school instead of seeking refuge in a classroom, he would have walked straight into a trap. Rin would have knocked him out, ripped the Command Spells from his hand and erased all his memories of magic, the Grail War, and herself.

If Shirou had tried to use a Command Spell to call Saber while fighting Rider, Rider would have sliced off his arm before the magic activated. Rider was going easy on Shirou solely because she wanted him to use it, only to look at his face when she took his arm instead. Because she gets off on that.

If Shirou had asked Issei about the grail war directly instead of stripping him, he would have activated an sleeper command that Caster had planted on him. Issei would have attacked Shirou by surprise, sliced his throat, and then sliced his own.

After Souichiro kicks Saber butt, Shirou had the option to go protect her from Caster instead of facing Souichiro with Rin, hoping that without the advantage of surprise Rin is able to fend him off. This doesn't really work out, and Souichiro kills them both in quick succession.

Shirou could have accepted Caster's first proposal when she was using Taiga as a hostage, and joined team Caster alongside Saber. Caster then turns Shirou into "something" in order to use magic through him. The entire ending is told in Shirou's first person so we don't know what happened to him, but he talks about how "he can't feel his arms and legs and it feels like his brain is full of mud". Also every time he sees Saber she looks disturbed, and apologizes to him. Caster wins the Grail War. At some point later, Rin breaks into Caster's laboratory and put Shirou out of his misery, which is the best she can do for him now.

If Shirou had gone take refuge in the church instead of going around looking for Toshaka, he would have run into Caster, who would have killed him.

If Shirou had jumped into the fight between Caster and Rin before Archer's betrayal, Caster and Kuzuki decide the situation is unpredictable enough to call Saber. With her help, team Caster wins the fight.

If Shirou had remained hidden while Gilgamesh killed Ilya, Lancer would not have offered his help later. Without Lancer, they have no chance against team Caster. The same thing happens if Shirou decides to reject Lancer's offer. He also could have accepted Lancer's help without conditions, which doesn't lead to any bad end but leads to less Rin faces.

Instead of fighting against the Grail black hole, Shirou could have jumped straight into it, dragging Gil with him.

Finally, had Shirou carefully balanced the affection of Saber and Rin all through the story, Saber would have managed to keep enough mana to remain in this world after destroying the Grail. Afterwards, Rin and Shirou keep her existing by pooling their mana, and the three of them live exciting adventures.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I forget how great the bad endings are sometimes.

Good Ending is ehn.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Every day until you like it, etc etc

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I get the joke, but put a dickworm in the fish's place for how that poo poo probably went down for realsies.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Chickenfrogman posted:

Not really though it'll allude to one thing. You shouldn't watch it though cause it's poo poo.

Does it diverge from the VNs, or is it just a crappy adaptation, or what? No one's really told me why to avoid the 2006 series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Deen is just a really loving terrible studio, so you'll wind up with something with awful animation and really bizarre editing/pacing in FSN 2006's case. They also halfheartedly went for an attempt to work in plot elements from other routes and did a terrible job of doing so.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Harettazetta posted:

Does it diverge from the VNs, or is it just a crappy adaptation, or what? No one's really told me why to avoid the 2006 series.

It's pretty much straight out the fate route. It has some weird added stuff thats from heavens feel and UBW but nothing ever comes of them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wili posted:

Instead of fighting against the Grail black hole, Shirou could have jumped straight into it, dragging Gil with him.

Wouldn't this make Shirou the new Grail core? Wouldn't the Grail just start to remanifest if that was the case?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Compendium posted:

I forget how great the bad endings are sometimes.

Good Ending is ehn.

I wouldn't mind a 10 minute OVA thing on the Blu-rays for this show to have the Good Ending. I don't know what they'd do with "Rin gets her Saber and Shirou harem at last", but I'm sure they'd think of something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Regarding Shirou's future according to Nasu:

quote:

*Desert scene- After the end credits. A desert scene, same as the opening. Shirou walks alone. His strength falters and he stops walking. Shirou looks down to shield his eyes from the sandstorm, and sees traces of someone else having been there (the place where Archer stopped). Shirou breathes out and looks up. There's fake endurance in his expression, but it's full of hope. Shirou walks away with a steady gait. The camera lingers on the traces of Archer's presence, and watches Shirou leave as the shot ends.

It's very metaphorical but according to the script Nasu sent UFO Shirou clearly makes it further than Archer did.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Regarding Shirou's future according to Nasu:

It's very metaphorical but according to the script Nasu sent UFO Shirou clearly makes it further than Archer did.

Posted this myself 5 pages ago right after the episode aired, get on my level bruh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hahaha holy poo poo, didn't notice this detail.

Rin's powers are mighty indeed.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
One thing I have to say, even if you didn't like the show (and no one's trying to force you to like something you don't), one thing that's really apparent if you know the source material is that Ufotable are TypeMoon fanboys and by God, they tried. All the little details are part of that.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 30, 2015

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

lol if you think this wasn't another DEEN quality adaptation under a gloss of an enormous budget

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Monomythian posted:

lol if you think this wasn't another DEEN quality adaptation under a gloss of an enormous budget

Jesus Christ.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Monomythian posted:

:captainpop::eyepop::chanpop:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Monomythian posted:

yeah you nailed it. yet another Baka Studio failed to capture the glory of Wizards & Warriors: Why Is This Anime Book So Long? i can only hope another studio can manage to give us the masterpiece we deserve

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Monomythian posted:

OK. This is poo poo posting.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Monomythian posted:

gr8 b8 m8

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Monomythian posted:

I agree with you.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Mad, Prefuse :troll:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I was tempted to use a Rin gif or reaction face but neither of you deserve her

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
This thread is bad and I feel I contributed. I am sorry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monomythian posted:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Seriously though, its dissapointing this show had such a huge budget and then they used it to makes fights where two characters alternated clashing with their pointy weapons and then talking at each other for 2 minutes and then one of them uses their super power and then the fight is over. Jesus christ.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Seriously though, its dissapointing this show had such a huge budget and then they used it to makes fights where two characters alternated clashing with their pointy weapons and then talking at each other for 2 minutes and then one of them uses their super power and then the fight is over. Jesus christ.
thats not the studios fault though. they adapted the visual novel perfectly. it has all that crap in it. i dont know why that guy is implying that Ufotable somehow hosed up the adaptation of D&D Anime Edition Rulebook 4.0

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Surprisingly Dope posted:

that's literally what f/sn is about

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I think they could have made the fight pacing better.

• Locked thread