Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Welcome to Odessa High!

Homeroom Seating Chart:

code:
              [Mr. Cole]

[ Anna]  [ Mark ]  [ Sten ]  [ Mara ]
[ Tina]  [Summer]  [Orchid]  [ Craig]
[Mandy]  [Antony]  [Johanna] [ Grace]
[Lindsey][ Pete ]  [  Amy  ] [Connor]
Useful Links!

OOC Thread
String Sheet
NPC Descriptions and Strings

Character Sheets- Please keep these up to date as you take advances!

Amy, the Gorgon
Antony, the Queen
Orchid, the Neighbor
Summer, the Unicorn
Connor, the Infernal
Mara, the Ghoul

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scene One:

It's Friday, the last day of the first week of school, so there's been a short home-room called before first period. Mr. Cole's already passed out the announcement sheet with the listings for the first meetings of after-school activities as well as the notice for the big Pep Rally at the end of the day. Ms. Ramirez, the school principal, is supposed to be announcing something big but no-one knows what it is yet.

"You've got fifteen minutes before the bell. Just don't get too noisy." Mr. Cole says and waves his hand to dismiss you before sitting down at his desk. He's a thin man in his mid-thirties with short brown hair, round glasses, and a striped shirt that makes him look exactly like the math teacher he normally is. He's also pretty relaxed about everything except late homework so you're free to chat or use your phones if you want.

Amy- You check your phone while you wait, and it looks like Grace just texted you. It's just a smiley face and a link to a website. Where does the link go? What do you text her back?

Antony- Mandy looks really depressed. This is the first time she hasn't been in the same homeroom as Efran and you can feel how much she misses him through your mindlink. What do you do to cheer her up?

Orchid- Sitting in class doing nothing is super boring! What kind of stunt do you imagine pulling to spice things up a little, and do you actually go through with it?

Summer- Something bounces off the top of your head and lands on your desk. It is an actual spitwad, and when you turn around you can see Pete two seats back grinning like a cave-man. He sticks a short straw in his mouth and takes aim for a second attack. What do you do?

Connor- Johanna's leg is bouncing in that anxious 'need a fix' sort of way. She smiles at you and raises an eyebrow suggestively. What do you do?

Mara- You're the closest person to the door, so you notice when Officer Mayes, the cop that lurks in the center hall, walks by. He stops and looks in the window before leaving. Who was do you think he looking for, and why?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 27, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hot: 2 Cold: -1 Volatile: 1 Dark: -1 Integrity: 0
Harm 0/4 | XP 0+1/4 | Conditions:

Today's been pretty great up until now. Chocolate chip waffles for breakfast, I listened to They Might Be Giants on the way to school with the windows down and the sun and wind riding along with me, and there's a pep rally this afternoon that should be fun. Plus Orchid's here, so I'll be able to give her the note I wrote for her yesterday night. I owe her an explanation for why I was so... uh, stammery, yesterday. I'm just about to draw her attention so I can give her the note when I feel something hit the back of my head. Huh? Saving me looking about for whatever it was, the spitball lands on my desk and thuds to a slimey stop. Ewww. As I stare at it, Pete starts snickering. Ahhh well that makes sense.

Oh come on Pete, you're better than that. On the bright side, at least it was a really good shot. Spinning around in my chair to talk to him, it's sadly unsurprising that he's readied a second strike - or that he looks really pleased with himself. Sigh. I'm glad he shot at me though, and not someone else. Raising my hands up and waving them to indicate for him to not hit me with another spitball, I'll try to reason with him. Pete's kinda mean, but I don't think he'd wants to cause a big scene - if I ask him nicely, I bet he'll stop. Mr. Cole's really lenient, but I don't think he'd let Pete just keep openly bullying me, right?

"Hey Pete, that was a good shot - but please stop, uh... please? You don't want to maybe get in trouble, uh, before the game, right?" Maybe I shouldn't sound so afraid of him? That probably would've helped. He always wears that red jacket though... of course I'm scared of him!

Manipulate Pete: 2d6+2 6
At least I get to mark XP.

quote:

Name: Summer Daniels
Skin: The Unicorn
Look: Trick of the Light, Solitary Eyes
Origin: Blessed

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1
Integrity: 0

People Should Never:
Eat meat*, lie, talk back, be selfish, hurt the environment, break the law, support sweatshops, disobey elders, swear*, dance, drive a car, do drugs, appropriate cultures, bully, gossip, misgender people, make someone cry, cheat, take the Lord's name in vain*, reveal a friend's secrets, exploit others.

*Summer won't do these things but she's totally given up on convincing others.
The underlined actions are the ones that she finds most upsetting.

Moves
With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when you
  • take the moral highground about an issue that matters
  • you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

A Good Person
Spend an Integrity to offer someone an experience point to do what you say. If they undertake to do that thing, and you directed them towards making a third party happier at no one's expense, mark experience.

Speak From The Heart
When you have someone else's best interests at heart, add 2 to your rolls to manipulate an NPC.

Sex Moves
You have three intimacy moves:
When you lay your head in a virgin's lap, gain a point of Integrity and choose:
  • give them 1 forward to protecting you,
  • roll to turn them on.
When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
When you have sex, lose all your Integrity.

Darkest Self
This is it. Everything falls apart, and you can't hold it together anymore. It's not because everything is too much to bear just that you aren't good enough. So beg their forgivenesses, everyone you've wronged by being too weak to help; and show them how sorry you are, in whatever small ways you can muster before the final curtain falls. Don't seek their acceptance. You don't deserve it. You escape your Darkest Self when someone reflects to you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Backstory:
Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 27, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm probably the only person who actually likes Pep Rallies when I'm not performing in them. They feel almost like Church on one of the weeks I'm not organising things. But a little less willing. On the other hand, there's something much better than a good Pep Rally, and that's a Pep Rally going wrong. And I've been meaning to send one badly wrong for a while, but never got round to it. But there's one person in the room who knows me well enough for me to be able to work with her. Well, two. But I'm not thinking of her right now. So I open my phone and text Orchid. Looking forward to the Pep? I hope it goes as well as a few months ago. About as unincriminating as it's possible to be. Orchid however will know I'm talking about the day when I died and I hope will be smart enough to read the suggestion there that we make it go about that well. The only suspicious thing is I could just turn round and talk to her.

And then I see Mayonaise and give him a smile. His gaze passes over me and over the rest of the class. Obviously whoever he was looking for isn't here, but everyone who's supposed to be is. Which means that he's looking for one of three people. The first is Mr. Evans, the vice principal. Who comes in to visit Mr. Cole's room and speak to Mr. Cole far more than you'd expect. He's worse with computers than dad and normally wants his fixing. But I think it's more than that. The second is Shelly. Don't ask me why she hangs round Craig. It's not a normal relationship, whatever else it is. And she's the person most likely to carry a knife to school. The third was, of course, checking we were all here. Probably looking for Joanna (or possibly Orchid) - he's not allowed to check the ladies, but is I think hoping to catch someone taking drugs on school property. And knowing that one of the suspects isn't there would be a good clue.

Now I come to think of it, most likely is that he's prodding Mr. Cole about the teachers' prayer meeting. Always half a dozen of them. And always just before school starts. We'll know if Mr. Cole leaves the class in the next 30 seconds.

quote:

Mara Stevens, the Ghoul
Look: Striking, Quiet eyes
Origin: {Resurrected/Rejected/Sent} - it was something to do with the snake handling meeting she died at.

Hot 1
Cold 2
Volatile 1
Dark -1

 The Hunger
You have a Hunger for Chaos
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
} heal one harm;
} remove a Condition;
} mark experience;
} carry 1 forward.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add having sex with [this person] as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. When someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure, which would take at least thirty or forty minutes, you escape your Darkest Self.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 21, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Hot: -1 Cold: 2 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0 | Conditions: Heartbreaker

Pep Rally. Won't that be special? I'm hoping I can slip off campus before anybody suckers me into going. Grace and Orchid and a few others, we'd go down to those sorts of things just to mock, being the back and point at the ridiculousness of all that. Now...eh, crowds. I make a sour face that maybe Grace saw, because my phone goes off a second later.

*DING*

":-) tinyurl.com/foramy"

Oh crap. I have no idea where that's going to go. I steal a glance at Grace, who's looking back over her shoulder at me, looking pleased as punch.

Pete to my left, Connor to my right. No way this'll go badly.

*CLICK*

I...oh poo poo. How did Grace even....she's not a moron, that's how even. I did something to her and she knows it and there's the link, a loving Wikipedia page staring back at me.

My thumbs dart immediately to text her back.

"U were super stoned." Maybe I can pass it off, somehow? Maybe I need to shrink further into my hoodie.

Shut down Grace: 2d6+2 6

quote:

Name: Amelia Saunders
Look: Wallflower, downcast eyes, sleek hair
Skin: The Gorgon
Origin: A wish gone wrong

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Tell
Amy now specifically avoids eye contact with people at all costs, leading to very weird social interactions. This is particularly notable for people who knew her in the past before this behavior developed.

Sex Move
If you and your partner can see each other when you have sex your partner becomes Petrified and takes 1 harm. The next time you meet, tell them either:
* You think you were a pity-gently caress, dare gently caress, or notch on their bedpost
* You think they were mainly motivated by affection and give them a string
Then they tell you whether you were right as either honesty or the audience demands. If you were you both take 1 forward. If you were wrong and they laughed at you they take 1 forward.

Darkest Self
Youre done hiding your gaze. If people cant meet it, thats their issue. You meet the gaze of everyone you encounter unless they are taking explicit precautions. If they try to hold your gaze you arent backing down. Escape your darkest self when either you actually turn someone to stone or someone takes 2 harm trying to talk (and stare) you down.

Moves

[+] Petrification
Whenever you look or gaze into someones eyes, roll to Shut Them Down. On a hit give them the condition Petrified - or if they are already Petrified they take 1 Harm as well as other consequences. If harm from this move would kill them they turn to stone. If you can see through it you can Petrify someone through it.

If you start a session (including the first) with no social conditions, gain your choice of:
* The condition Scary
* The condition Freak
* Any social condition youve had before
* Any social condition agreed by the table

[+]Head Full of Snakes
You can see very blurrily through the snakes on your head without petrifying people. They can pick things up, bite, and give you +1 to Run Away as you can always see whats behind you..

[+] Oops!
Whenever you accidentally use Petrification on someone you care about, gain an experience point.

Backstory
* You looked into someones you care abouts eyes and hurt them. Tell them if they know why. Either way they take two strings on you and you take one on them.
* Someone is afraid of you and doesnt know why. Take a string on them.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 30, 2015

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Orchid

Orchid sits in class with all of the hidden boredom of a sloth, practically asleep in her seat until her dazed mind is cleared up by her phone buzzing. Checking Mara's message she starts to bang out a reply until she hears someone, (Phil, Pete, whatever his name is) loving with Summer. She sighed at Summer's kindhearted attempt to avoid the bullying. Phil was kind of an rear end in a top hat, and if anything he'd make fun of her even more for trying to stop him.

Standing up, she sauntered on over to Pete's desk, swaying her hips all the way and leaned forward a bit, letting her assets be a bit more pronounced. She took off her glasses and leaned in a bit, looking Phil right in the eyes with a seductive smirk. "Now Pete, play nice with the new girl. She's my friend, after all. Y'all wouldn't wanna go making little ole me sad would you?" She gave the boy a little doll-eyed look, putting on that well practiced Texas twang that made her sound so cute to the guys. She had gotten pretty good at leading them on to thinking they were gonna get some if they listened to her. Ah, the dreams of the young.

Without waiting for a reply from the flustered boy, she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and headed right on back to her desk, rumor planted and amusement for the day obtained. Then, she got back to Mara.

quote:

Sorry about that, I like to keep them guessing and he was being a dick anyway. Had any ideas on making sure the Pep one to remember?

She looked over to Summer and gave her a smile and a wink. Nothing more for now.

Roll:

Manipulate vs Pete + from glasses removal: 2d6+3 13

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 27, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Antony Reyes
Hot: 2 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/4 | Conditions:

Today is a good day to be alive. Mom fixed burritos for breakfast, I found my favorite "Go Bronchos!" shirt, and there's a pep rally and I didn't draw Pep-duty so I can sit in the band section and gently caress around with Mandy and Ashley during the rally instead of playing. It's good to be the Queen. The good mood lasts most of the way through homeroom, as I field a bunch of texts from the rest of the Gang; nothing major, just the usual inter-band drama white-noise. Miley started a dumb Facebook feud with Alex, that sort of thing. In between texts, as I wait for the bell, I check the room. Anna is chatting with Tina, which is odd; didn't expect those two to be friendly. I wince as Pete's spitball passes over my head to hit Summer; what a dick. Even I don't have anything bad to say about Summer. Pete needs to learn that this isn't kindergarten and you don't push the girls down and steal their dolly when you like them.

I think about saying something when I'm distracted by the bad vibes coming from my left. You don't need to be part of the Collective to feel the angst radiating off of Mandy. She has her arms crossed and she's staring at an empty desk. I roll my eyes. I love Mandy, but come on: Efren? Really? Dude's a neanderthal. But the heart wants what the heart wants. Or the crotch, or whatever. I don't judge. We all make mistakes. Leah...

I fish in my binder where I always keep a little bag of candies just for this occasion; the coffee-caramel ones that she likes. The ones with black coffee goo in the middle? Mandy-snacks. I draw on the link in our heads -- I always picture it as this little cartoon bundle fiber-optic cables, bulging and pulsing as thoughts shoot back and forth through them -- and, without a word, her head snaps over, looking at me. I hold out the candy. "Cheer up," I tell her. "You've got two classes with him, and you'll see each other at the pep rally. You will totally survive spending three hours apart. Heck, if you want, I'll even cover for you at the rally so you can slip off and make out, or whatever you two do."

quote:

OKShark: Manipulating Mandy
OKShark !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot OKShark, 3+2 = 5
OKShark boo

Even as I'm talking, though, I'm watching Orchid stand up and put the moves on Pete, which is more than a little distracting. Okay, a lot distracting. And it's not like I can hide it from her, because of the link. So now instead of being depressed, Mandy is annoyed at me, which I can feel in my head the way you'd feel an oncoming migraine.

I sigh. It looked to be such a good day.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hot: -1 / Cold: -1 / Volatile: +2 / Dark: +1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0 | Conditions:

Jesus Christ, this sucks.

First week back at school is always a total slog, but it's weighing more on me this year than it ever has. There's something weird on the air, I guess -- maybe it's tension, maybe it's me being a goddamn psychopath. I've been watching everyone re-accustom themselves to the ordered drudgery of the public school system. For most of us it's our last year, so we're all practiced at it, but for some reason it pisses me off more than usual. The pep rally sounds like a good place to stir poo poo up, assuming I don't get caught. Gotta be more interesting than whatever Ramirez is gonna blab about. If not, there's plenty of time -- the year's just started, after all.

I put my feet up on my desk and lean back, chair tipping precariously on two legs (Cole -- the teacher -- is a decent guy, but I'm still not sure where his 'give a gently caress' line is drawn. So I'm testing it). Mornings are awful, but maybe there's someone I can use to lighten the tedium a bit. Amy looks somewhere between sad and angry and scared -- her usual -- and she's texting like crazy; better leave her to it. Another likely candidate is Orchid, but she's -- ah. I can't help raising an eyebrow as she lays it on really thick; that dumbass Pete doesn't stand a chance. If he weren't so absolutely moronic I'd maybe even pity him.

Didn't know Orchid and Little Miss Summer Sunshine got along. That's tricky.

And then there's Johanna. Of course there is. Paimon never approved of my first choice of pawn, but she's just bright enough -- and just dependent enough -- to be useful, and besides I have one hell of a weakness for that Aussie accent. I've seen that look on her enough by now to know exactly what it means. I pretend like I'm ignoring her as I slip my phone from my pocket and shoot her a quick, inconspicuous text.

quote:

Looking forward to the pep rally today? Bet if you could find a way to get Cole outta here, we could get there early. ;)

I give her a lazy smirk as I hear her phone buzz against her desk. Not crossing my fingers here, but it'd be kind of cool if this actually worked.

Manipulate Johanna 2d6-1 8

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I watch. I was considering doing something about that but Orchid's stepped in. And she's got a nice sashay. So I watch, not particularly carefully. But it looks as if that will work, and work better than anything I was planning. But there's more going on, and I'm trying to keep an eye on the room. Hopefully better than someone Orchid can handle nicely.

quote:

Nice. And there are a couple of doors so I can't fix the music. Emilie Autumn, Taylor Swift, RiRi, and Maddy and Tae were my thoughts? Or The Clash and Pink Floyd? Possibly Weird Al - Barney's On Fire?

I think Orchid is sharp enough to decode that. I'm planning on taking over the sound system but need someone to open a locked door for me and I'm pretty sure she's better at picking locks than I am. And she's welcome to stack the playlist. And Barney refers to our mascot. Setting it on fire would be fun even if I have to wear it at the time.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 31, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scene One: Homeroom, Continued:

Summer- Reasoning with Pete probably isn't the best tactic. He looks super-smug when he realizes he's bothering you, and looms forward in his chair. "Ain't nothin' you can do 'bout it." he says. He's probably right too. No one's going to punish one of the star players on the football team right before their first match of the season... But then Orchid steps in to help! You definitely owe her now, what do you think you can do to pay her back?

Orchid- Pete stares at you, almost hypnotized, as you walk over to him. When you kiss him he jumps in his desk and it makes a loud scraping noise as it moves. "O-Okay, uh." he stammers. Mr. Cole looks up from his textbook and turns a page ominously, but looks back down when you head back to your seat.

Take a string on Pete!

Mara's been texting you with some awesome ideas for the pep rally. Have you ever interrupted a big school event before? Did you get caught?

Amy- Grace texts you back.

Text from Grace posted:

ya totally stoned. :rolleyes: cya at lunch?
You don't think she's buying it, but it doesn't look like she's scared of you. What are you afraid she might say or do at lunch? Will you meet her or avoid her?

Antony- Mandy is annoyed with you but she still nicks the candy as soon as it's offered and it cheers her up a little bit. Orchid is taking up most of your attention now though. It's obvious that she's only putting the moves on Pete to confuse the hell out of him. Have you ever been tempted to recruit her? What does the Queen think about her?

Mara- Mr. Cole looks out the window at Officer Mayes before he leaves and shakes his head. Now that you think of it, has he ever actually attended any of those prayer meetings? Most of the teachers do. Oh well, never mind that, you have anarchy to plan. What's your scheme to get hold of the Barney the Broncho costume? No one's actually worn it since that one basketball game last year. Why did it end up getting retired? Do you know where it is now?

Connor-

Text from Johanna posted:

'kay
Johanna stands up and gives you a smirk then walks to the front of the class. She starts talking to Mr. Cole, but you're too far back to hear what she's actually saying. He doesn't look happy about it, and after a minute he motions for her to return to her seat and stands up. As the door closes behind him, the desk you're propping up tips over backwards with a loud BANG. The teacher's gone but everyone is looking at you and you can hear a few of them (like Pete) laughing. Johanna crosses her arms and looks impatient. Did you tip it over yourself or do you think someone 'helped'? What do you do?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 28, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 1 | Conditions: Heartbreaker

I can feel Connor looking at me. I steal a glance back when he's not looking, in those tense seconds between hitting send and wondering if I colossally hosed up.

*DING*

Text from Grace posted:

ya totally stoned. :rolleyes: cya at lunch?

gently caress. gently caress gently caress. What do I say to that?

"Hi Grace, yeah, I used you as my living makeout post, hope we're cool?"

"Hey, Grace, so, we go way back, so bee-tee-dubs, I'm turning into some kind of classical greek monster."

"Mara's totally frozen me out and it's ripping up my heart and I just wanted to grab somebody."

None of those sound good. Maybe if I say all three the awfulness will balance out?

She's looking at me. I look back, careful to avoid her eyes. She doesn't seem scared. Is she one too? No, she was totally surprised when I started petrifying her.

I really don't want to talk to her. I don't. But I have to. Otherwise it'll spiral out of control and who knows who she'll talk to and then I'm well and truly hosed.

Text from Amy posted:

K.

My finger hovers for a couple seconds, then stabs send.

I presume Grace's phone dinged. I can't hear it over Connor hitting the floor with a loud crash. "THE gently caress!?" I shout, not able to help myself. I'm all up on my chair now, legs at my chest, feet on the chair.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 28, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

As Orchid sits down after her very convincing display, I can't help but stare at her in thankful awe for a few seconds. She managed to disarm that whole situation, and she made it look good! Maybe she should've been a unicorn? I mean, aside from the drug stuff, it looks like she's better at it than I am... Plus, I'm her friend? But we haven't hung out all that much! It's awesome that she thinks we're friends already. Reaching into my backpack for the note I wrote for Orchid last night, I'd tap her desk to get her attention but it looks like that's not necessary since she's already looking right at me. "Uh, thanks for that Orchid... I really appreciate it."

I'll have to think of a way to repay her - I mean, I wrote her this note, but that's for yesterday! Speaking of, I hand said note to her. It's super decorated - I took a seperate sheet of paper to make a little white bow for it. Got a bit of a paper cut doing it, but it really looks awesome so it was definitely worth it.

Summer's Note to Orchid posted:

Orchid,

Hi, how are you? Hahaha, don't answer out loud where you are if it'll get you in trouble :cheeky:. I'm doing well, I had a REALLY good day yesterday for the most part! Did you know the coldest it got at the last place I lived (Delta Junction, Alaska: Population 974) was -47 degrees last year? You don't have to go to school if it's colder than -40, since if the bus breaks down all the kids will be popsicles before help can get there! Scary, right?! :eek: So living here now where it's warm and sunny all the time is AMAZING!

Uh, sorry for babbling. I'm kinda nervous writing this.

Yeah, so, yesterday - really, really, really sorry for stammering. I was just really suprised when you said all that nice stuff to me, and I didn't even think of anything nice to say! It was really selfish of me to not say anything back, and I'm super sorry. So I wrote a list of things that I think are cool about you :D! I don't know you that well, but you made me feel really awesome - so I wanted to to try and return the favor some :keke:

You have the COOLEST hair, you're funny, you're really nice, that joke you told in the lunchline on Tuesday was hilarious, you've said good morning to me every day so far this week and seem very polite, I like your bag, you have cool glasses, you have the COOLEST van, and I bet you're a really awesome friend and person!

I can't keep writing, parents want to watch a movie! Hope you're having a good day, do you wanna eat lunch with me today? Hopefully you're reading this before lunch... :xd:

<3,
Summer

Before I can say anything else after handing it over there's a really loud bang at the back of the room. Spinning around to see what happened, it looked like Connor fell. Ohh, is he alright? Cutting my conversation with Orchid short, I'm out of my seat and over to where he's fallen in a scant few seconds. "Connor, you alright?" Ignoring Pete's laughter - was he involved? - I offer my hand to Connor. Hopefully he'll take it, and not just say something mean... It's worth a shot at any rate.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 28, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

THUNK.

"Sunnova--!"

Nothing quite takes the wind out of a guy's sails like a lil' good old-fashioned public humiliation. Now Johanna thinks I look like a dumbass -- probably because I do -- and everyone's staring at me. Greaaaat. I lay there like a lump for a few seconds, catching my breath and wallowing in my misery, but it doesn't last long before Summer's offering me a hand up. I already look stupid and it won't help my case to look like an rear end in a top hat on top of it, so I accept her help, muttering a begrudging "Thanks, Summer," and tug my jacket back straight as I get to my feet.

See, I can be nice!

There has to be some way I can save face here, and I think I've found it in Pete. I don't know if he actually tipped my desk over, but it seems a lot more likely than me being that careless. Plus he was already being a complete choad to Summer; with Orchid shutting him down so hard, maybe he was looking for easier prey? Or at least prey that doesn't come with a posse. What a dick -- that is not gonna fly. But he can wait a second.

I give Johanna a canted-head look, like 'gimme a sec', then whip around to look at Pete. That guy! gently caress that guy! "Jesus christ, man, what is wrong with you? Are you just trying to piss everyone off in here today? 'Cause you're gettin' pretty fuckin' close, from where I'm standing!"

Shut Down (that rear end in a top hat) Pete 2d6-1 8
Gonna give him the condition Jackass. Seriously, f that guy.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 28, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

At first I'm really pleased that he let me help him up... I was afraid he was going to reject my kindness to try and look tough. Good for you, Connor.

I do wince when Connor curses though. Stuff's getting ugly between him and Pete. Oh good, it looks like they're going to fight or something. While a very small, mean, awful part of me thinks Pete deserves to get hit for being mean to everyone all the time, I suppress the voice. That's not right... whether he's a bully or not, I should put a stop to this. Thinking fast and perhaps blessed with the intuition to look towards the door, I do so and see there's a police officer there. Pete may not be scared of me, but I bet he's scared of Officer Mayes.

Interposing myself between Pete and Connor, I'll plead quietly with them. No sense getting either of them detention. "C'mon guys, Officer Mayes is right there. This isn't worth getting in trouble, right?" Looking from face to face, I can only hope they'll listen to me. And not punch me.

With Integrity (bullying) grants me 1 Integrity.
Manipulate Pete: 2d6+4 11
Using A Good Person to Offer Connor 1 XP to not be mean / retaliate against Pete for the rest of homeroom. If Connor does so, I get 1 XP for it.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Orchid read over the note that Summer gave her with a smile pretty much the whole way through. She neatly folded it up and put it in her pocket for safekeeping. Not wasting any time, she quickly doodled a bunch of hearts along the edge of a piece of paper, looking back and forth from the paper to Summer as she seemed to be starting to sketch something before Connor went full retard and fell over.

She watched the scene from the sidelines, Summer seemed to have the situation well in hand and she had the feeling Pete knew better than to encroach on her territory. She checked her phone again, snickering a bit.

Text to Mara posted:

loving Ke$ha. It'll get more of a laugh. Speaking of hot chicks, opinions on Summer? She's either interested and in the closet or really naive. Not sure which. If the latter, definitely worth trying to convert~

Orchid got it. And so maybe she sorta knew how to pick locks a bit, you learn stuff. She was entirely more concerned about the cute blonde currently being Ms. Peacemaker over there, as evidenced by her continued sketching of the photo.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | XP 1/4 | Conditions:

As the room starts to tilt into chaos around us, I give Mandy a sheepish look. She rolls her eyes. We've talked about Orchid before; I wanted to try to bring her into the Collective, but Mandy argued me out of it. On the positive side of the balance sheets, she's good with people and she has a drug hookup and both of those could be a gateway to bigger things. Also, she's cute, and I kind of have this thing about anti-authoritarians, and dreadlocks. On the negative side, she always seems to be at the center of attention and she leaves trouble wherever she goes; Exhibit A, this room. The deciding factor against it was the fact that she doesn't seem to want anything except weed and entertainment. The Collective has survived and thrived by offering the lonely and downtrodden things they couldn't normally have. That's what separates people like us from the Anna Brooks's of the world; we build people up, she cuts people down. Well, that and cranial parasites.

The Queen doesn't have an opinion, at least not directly. As a prehistoric symbiotic worm, she doesn't think; at least not the way we normally think of as thinking. She's less of a commanding presence and more of an all-pervasive living urge. What she wants is the survival of her species.

Thinking of the Queen makes me think of Amy, and I notice that she's practically standing on her chair to get away from the fight. The Queen is terrified of Amy, and I have no idea why, except that it has something to do with the way the mental link we all share goes glitchy around her. She does not want Amy as an enemy.

Personally, I kind of like the girl. She reminds me of me, before I got an arthropoidal confidence injection. I reach out, not touching but holding my hands up in a soothing "don't shoot" gesture. "Hey, Amy. Chill. You don't have to worry; they've got Pete handled." I give her a concerned look. "Everything okay?"

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 28, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm still staring Pete dead in the eye, but Summer has a point, and I tell her so. "Yeah, you're right. Don't need to drop myself to his level or whatever, yeah?" I've half-opened my mouth to drop a totally sick burn on him, but that would completely go against the thing I just agreed to. What a pain. I give him a sigh and a little shake of my head, like, 'man, you could be so much better, then let him drop from my notice entirely.

Taking that delicious XP.

I slink over to Johanna, who I know hates to be kept waiting. "Sorry about that, Joey," I murmur, glancing around to make sure there are no more eyes on me. "You're a peach, you know that?" Lazy smirk finding its way back into place, I slip an arm around her waist and tuck a little present in her pocket. Something to keep her stepping lively, no matter how long the afternoon ends up dragging with the stupid pep rally. I give the top of her pocket a little tap and step back, hooking my thumb on my belt loop -- no need to press my luck in class, though teasing can be fun. "Don't have too much fun, you crazy kid."

Trying to turn on Johanna 2d6-1 8

Man, now I'm tired -- it's still barely morning, gently caress -- and I feel one hell of a headache coming on. Cracking your head on the linoleum'll do that. When the hell does this class end? I flop back into my chair and rest my forehead on the desktop. I guess I can eavesdrop on Amy like this... Sounds like that Antony guy's talking to her; what's his deal, anyway?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 1 | Conditions: Heartbreaker

I'm so on edge. So jumpy. Taking this Grace thing in stride is gonna be way harder than I thought. I went from stoic to freaked in 6.8 seconds! My head darts, hunching down as I peek out. Why's Summer giving Orchid a note? Those two should be like oil and water. Same with Connor...although I guess Summer's nice to everybody. But why's Connor being nice back? I didn't think the sweet girl thing worked on him.

Is somebody talking to me? Oh, Antony. He and that band crowd have gotten even more insular and clubby lately. Why is he talking to me? I look at his face, then his hands, then his face. "I...I'm good," I say. My left leg unravels. "Startled. Loud noises, you know," I explain, shooting a look towards where Connor's getting back up. And...macking on Johanna, apparently. drat, why couldn't I have wished for a sexy accent. "Uh....thanks," I add to Antony, almost as an afterthought.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 28, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Of course I know why the costume was retired without comment! It turned out that Mr. Dennings, the very much former assistant coach, was a furry with a mascot fetish. You didn't think they'd retire it just for being embarrassing, or for the eyewatering colours, did you? As for where it is, it's stored in the back of the storeroom with all the sports equipment. Having been washed, boiled, bleached, and sprayed with enough axe to overpower the scent of sweat on the sportsgear. I know Coach wants to bring it back - but only when he can look it in the eye.

quote:

It's going down... And naive I think? Possibly asexual. Hurt her deliberately or change her too much and I'll be looking for a shovel. Otherwise good luck!

And the people in here are too nice! Summer and Orchid are taking all the heat out of problems, and are good enough at it that I can't even do my good girl "Why can't we all get along" act that just pours oil on troubled fires. But a sudden flash of movement draws my eyes. To the person on the far side of the room I want to know just what happened with. Amy

I decide to open things by text message although I'm looking straight at Amy as I hit send. I want to see Amy's reaction when she reads it.

quote:

Jumping away from all your problems? I'm at least owed a couple of answers. Talk at break?

Shut Down invoking Heartbreaker (1:12:06 PM) Krysmbot: neonchameleon, 4+2 = 6
... I'll spend a string to make that a 7. Giving Amy the condition Guilty.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 31, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 2 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker

Just when I'm talking to Antony, my phone goes off. Grace? No, Mara. I look up from my phone and I'm looking right at her. Is...she pissed with me? I thought she was ignoring me! Maybe we can....I'm still looking at her as I type back.

To Mara, From Amy posted:

Ya

Then I can feel it. I can feel it and she probably can too, as my power (poo poo, need a better name. Gaze?) kicks in.

Shut down Mara (Petrify): 2d6+2 9
Triggering Ooops!, marking XP.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mara

Amy catches my eye and I feel myself slowing, falling. The blood in my veins slowing down. Not quite like I felt from the snake venom. But close. So when I return to life, Amy starts looking at people and doing things to them. This is ... weird. I don't think to look away as I feel my extremities tingling. Instead I go deep, listening for what I sometimes feel on the edge, or when strangling myself. My heart pounding as the blood slows down. And sometimes on the edge there are answers. I let my eyes fall closed, unaware of the slightly greyish tinge to my eyelids, as I listen, breaking the gaze. Fortunately I'm wearing makeup, although Amy will probably notice. Why is this happening at once? Is there a link? Is there a plan?

Gaze into the Abyss: (1:48:58 PM) neonchameleon: !roll 2d6 (1:48:59 PM) Krysmbot: neonchameleon, 9 = 9 (That should have been 2d6-1, sorry). The visions about wtf is going on are confusing and alarming.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Harm 0/4 | XP 0+2/5 | Conditions:

Since it looks like everything's diffused between Pete and Connor (if only temporarily) - I can stop standing between them doing a rather good Benvolio impression. Weaving between Johanna's, Amy's, Antony's and Pete's seats to get back to mine, I can get restart my conversation with Orchid now hopefully.

Oh, it looks like she's drawing something... I'm loathe to interrupt her, but I do owe her a proper thanks. "Uhmm, Orchid?" When she raises her head up to look towards me, dreadlocks shifting like snakes made out of cool hair and not gross scales, I give her a warm smile, probably blushing a little. "Sorry to, uh, interrupt... Thanks, uh, again... for the whole Pete thing. Glad I could get them to stop fighting, too."

Since I don't see the note I gave her on her desk, she's done something with it. Did she read it? "So, uh... did you, uh, read the note? Wanna grab lunch together?" My voice is so genuine, so friendly and hopeful... can't imagine she'll say no, and that's awesome. I really hope she wants to hang out - she's so friendly to me already, getting to know her better would be great!

Turn On Orchid: 2d6+2 8

Rauri fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 29, 2015

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Orchid takes a break from her drawing to look at Summer, smiling warmly to the blonde. "I did read the note, it was very beautiful thank you Summer." She looked over to the front of the room to make sure that the teacher wasn't around, didn't want Summer to go getting in trouble for something.

Well, aside from the fact that everyone was about to see this. Orchid, in a rather bold move, slid out of her chair and, brushing Summer's hair out of her face and behind her ear leaned in and planted a kiss right on her lips, letting the moment hang in the air for a moment before moving back to her seat, giving the girl a wink. "Of course I'll sit with you, gorgeous." She got the feeling she'd be hearing about that one from Mara, but since when did Orchid ever give a gently caress what other people thought?

Choosing to Give Myself and kiss Summer. Rolling to Turn On

Turn on Summer: 2d6+3 9

RNG supports the pairing. Go go RNG.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scene One: Homeroom, Continued:

Connor- Pete doesn't even say anything back, he just flips you off. Then he double flips you off. (Pete gives you the condition Loser.) He frowns and looks out the window when Summer tries to get in the middle of things. Officer Mayes IS there, talking to Mr. Cole. "Whatever." he says and sits down. He stops paying any attention to you and goes back to watching Orchid like a lovesick puppy.

~You don't honestly think it was him, do you?~ a slick voice whispers in your ear. ~He wouldn't have the imagination. Or the reach.~

Johanna seems pleased as punch when you slip the Adderall in her pocket. "I can always count on you, Connor." she says. "You can count on me too, you know?"

Mara- When you look at Amy you feel... isolated. Suddenly you're the girl in the dress in a dark alley, and there's a dragging sound, a slithering sound approaching . You can't stay here but if you try to run you'll fall and twist your ankle. But why would you run? You chase the sound instead, your heels clicking on the wet concrete and two bright golden eyes look at you from behind the mist. They flinch and flee before you, hissing in the darkness...

Everyone else: Continue teen drama'ing, the bell will ring once you're ready to depart.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Amy's ignorant of whatever juju Mara's doing. She just looks away, the chilly feeling rippling through her and then fading. Why does doing that always make her feel so....good? Why can't she control it?

There's more immediate problems, like Orchid going to town on Summer. That makes Amy sit up straight. Orchid had been...close. Not like Mara, but a companion, and a comfort, and so...yes, Amy's staring, so much so that her hood falls off exposes her over-dyed hair. A concerned, muppet-like squeak comes from her.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I... er, uh, what?

For what seems like forever, I'm too stunned to speak. My face flushes bright red, my mouth hangs open dumbfoundedly, and I'm keenly aware that we're in the middle of class and I'm a new kid and now everybody's gonna... oh wow did she really just kiss me? Wow. Wow. So I guess that's why everybody seems to like it so much...

"Huh?" I hear myself ask dimly, confusion more than just apparent - there might as well be a giant neon question mark floating over my head. That's, uh... well it's DEFINITELY not what I was expecting. On the bright side, Orchid's clearly a very honest person - and isn't afraid to be herself.

Oh no! I can't repeat yesterday! Everytime she's nice to me, I freeze up like an idiot. Not doing that again, it'd be so mean of me. Doing my absolute best to not sound flustered and embaressed beyond the capacity for rational thought (and failing miserably at it) I tell Orchid "Oh, uh, yeah. Wow. Lunch." Since I can't think of anything else to say, I freeze up and just stare at Orchid for a moment, then look down at my desk in a hurry. Boy, this quick what's on my desk uh, homework assignment I've already finished sure needs reviewing!

Orchid gets a string on Summer.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1 | Conditions: Loser

Oh, sure. Now Mr. Hitchhiker decides to check in. He always picks the best times to make an 'appearance'. I make a low noise against the woodgrain, not quite ready to sit up from my sulk.

~ Yeah, obviously it wasn't him. S'it matter? ~ I think-ask. I only thought it was for, like, a minute. Maybe. And even then it was more convenient than anything. I'm almost pissed off all over again that Paimon thinks so little of me, but that's just how he is, so it's pointless. Let it roll off. Embrace the apathy.

I reluctantly lift my head, intending to check what time it is. But, uh -- wow. Orchid. Dang. Things are getting interesting in here; how could I have overlooked not just that those two were friends or whatever, but that they were, uh, involved? The new girl doesn't seem the type at all, but who am I to judge. It's Orchid. She has that effect on people. Amy makes a weird noise, and I glance over to find her eyes locked on the pair of girls.

"You okay, Amy?" I ask her in a low voice. Maybe if I show some concern for her I can learn something here. (Other that apparently half the female population of this place is into one another...)

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

Connor again. I look over, sure that my surprise is written all over my face. I swallows hard, choking something down. "Fine," I say, probably in my lease convincing tone ever.

My hands, wipe at my eyes, then I grab my hood and pull it back up. "We usedtah....kinda..." I sputter in half-explanation. "Doesn't matter," I say. And... it doesn't does it?Orchid was fun, my first, but she's no Mara...right?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | XP 1 | Conditions:

drat. Orchid, yeah, but never would have seen that coming from Summer. I take a quick snapshot with my phone, for... well. It could come in handy.

I let out a deep breath as the show ends. Next to me, I feel Mandy radiating equal parts shock and smugness. "I told you so," she mutters. She did.

So much for Orchid. As I'm looking around, I realize I'm not the only one. Part of me, the part that's hooked up to the Queen, registers the faces, cataloging them for later. Pete looks like he's going to cry. So does Amy, sort of. Mara's in her own world. Tina's staring with interest, but that's expected. And Anna's... blushing furiously and glancing around nervously. Interesting. Is she disgusted, or turned on? I know that she and Mandy's parents go to the same church, where the ladies wear ankle-length skirts, speak in tongues, and think school dances are a gateway to hell. Mandy's never even hinted to her parents about Efren, let alone the Collective, and she says that Anna's parents are even worse. I think i remember her dating a football or baseball player last year, but it was all very hands off and didn't last long. All very chaperoned and good Christian girl.

Anna Brooks has always been Little Miss Perfect where grades or looks or her social standing are concerned. Is that the real her, or what her parents want her to be? This could be interesting.

I flip out my phone and text Ashley Bishop.

quote:

Howd you like to do something fun during the peprally?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 29, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I give Amy a nod and a sympathetic smile. "That's fuckin' rough." Understatement, sure, but I imagine it is. Not like I've been there (do I seem like relationship material to you?), but I can see the hurt written all over her. My eyes flick to Orchid, the girl of the moment. Is she the thoughtless type? Impulsive, definitely. Is she just locking lips with Summer to kick Amy or something? (Is Summer even into it?)

Man, these girls are dramatic. It's like walking into the middle of a drat soap opera. But this poo poo's usually unraveled pretty quick, right? Just gotta follow the strings...

Amy's pulled her hood up, like she's trying to hide from everything. Reasonable, but I can still poke at her a little. Just to see what happens. "You just gonna put up with it, then?"

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Orchid smiles to Summer. She had a 50/50 shot of being right she figured, and as far as she was concerned she was correct in her assumptions about the girl. Only, she seemed both naive and potentially interested? Curious. She'd have to explore that part of Summer's thoughts more. "Meet me on the roof. Nobody'll bother us up there and we can talk." Nothing suggestive about it, she really wanted to just talk. She wasn't about to advance so quickly on the poor girl no. This one she wanted to really get to know. She was different.

She carried on with the rest of her sketch, coming up with a pretty accurate sketch of Summer sitting in a field of flowers surrounded by hearts. She handed the picture over to Summer, hoping she'd like it. "It's a pretty quick sketch, but I think it looks pretty. You should look into doing some portrait modeling."

Just for a moment, she glanced in Amy's direction, and gave her the quickest of winks before looking away. Amy knew what she did.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

"Oh, thanks!" I say when she hands me the picture she drew. Of me. I don't think I'm quite that, uh, curvy. It's still super nice of her though, I didn't know she was that good at art! I can sing, but that's about it.

I'm kinda convinced Orchid is interested in me. Like, not just as a friend interested. Especially the part about portrait modelling... I'm not going to be falsely modest, I think I'm fairly pretty. But like... I'm not hot. My thighs and butt are too big (it's from doing sprints and hurdles, I swear!,) and my eyes are this boring gray, and I'm really pale, and it's not like I've ever been in a real relationship... ever.

But she's really honest... I don't think she's trying to flatter me. She must honestly mean it. Awww.

Studying the picture one more time, I put it into my binder with the utmost care - while subconsciously raising a finger to my lip to feel where she'd kissed me. I'm having a really blessed day - I'll need to try hard to make it this good for someone else, too. Turning back to Orchid, I don't care that people are watching us. I care a little bit but I shouldn't. She's been so nice to me. "Ok, the roof sounds cool."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

I look up at Connor, who's lingering close. "You think I should hit her?" I ask him. He probably does. That'd be such a boy thing to want. Probably wants to see a girl-fight too. "Or kiss somebody to make her jealous? You?"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"You could do worse," I say with a casual shrug. Can't help laughing under my breath at how this girl's mind works. I give her my most winning, most devil-may-care smile. "It's not like she's the only one who can play games, right?"

Turn on Amy 2d6-1 4
hahaha yeah that went about as well as expected

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Snakes, why did it have to be... Not that I haven't dealt with snakes before. They've done their worst.

I pull myself back to myself, and wonder if I'm still dreaming. Nope. This seems to be real. Hot, but real. And ... it takes me less than a second, as the kiss is breaking, to realise I'm going to have to say something. I'm the Secretary of the Christian Association. To not comment would be a comment in itself. And if I don't say anything, Mark probably will. I need to talk first. I stand, fingertips unnaturally hard on my desk, and my eyes gather in people on the far side of the room. Mostly Anna, Mandy, and Mark who are all sitting in a nice cluster. Almost as if I planned to be somewhere they could all see me if they were looking into the room. Not that I planned that in detail, but I have been aware of it before.

It's difficult to understand the Christian approach to being gay. It's not as if we wrote it down. We just know. And it's changed over time. For most of us born between about 1935 and 1965, being gay is wrong because it is. And when you try and throw out sexual ethics and start over you end up with many, many situations (at least some of which we know about, like the Breendoggle) where you have to completely work your sexual morality from first principles to show that anything at all is wrong. Anything at all. We can't move because if we do things the lust-dimmed tide shall be loosed upon the world, and they have seen it happen. And we've seen what happens and talk about the worst parts. It's a very real fear. For most of us born between 1965 and 1985 or so, it's a matter of obedience. We haven't seen the effects, but we trust our elders who have. For most of us born after 1985 it's a Shibboleth. Something that marks us out. Not meaningful other than a marker of the group.

And I'm about to say we shouldn't worry if other people think the first syllable of "Shibboleth" sounds like "Sit". I take a deep breath and...

... Roll to Hold Steady 2d6+1=9 - exchange Petrified for Terrified...

...I feel my heart pounding in my chest, shaking off the lethargy that looking into Amy's eyes somehow gave me. My blood's again singing, and I'm jumping. I don't even know what I want out of saying this, but know that for once in my life it's the right thing to do. I also know I'm looking forward to the sheer volume of chaos I think I'm about to unleash on the Christian Association. I don't know if I'm trying to reform it, shatter it, or leave it. And what honestly is the worst they can do? Kill me? Church did that once already. But it's important that I do this the right way. I can not afford to let one shred of liberalism in. This must be purely from the bible.

"Matthew 5 27 to 29. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." Yes, the devil may quote scripture for her own ends. I've been doing it most of my life. But I'm sure that Church isn't good. "If any of you had a problem with that are you also free from the sin of adultery in your heart?"

I don't know if I've just resigned from the Christian Association, started to trigger a huge change, or just made the next meeting a very interesting and chaotic one. And to be honest I don't care. But it will be interesting!

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 31, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Add Mara to the (growing) list of my classmates would be better at being a Unicorn than I am. I listen while she lays out, Biblically, why other people shouldn't harass Orchid and I. Not exactly that, but that seems to be the point. She's in the Christian Association, and this is Texas... I can't believe I'd been concerned that she'd intended an entirely different message for the class. It was wrong of me - so I owe both her and Orchid big time. Maybe I should join the Christian Association? Especially since it has people like her in it.

Though the whole thing does imply what we did was a sin, and that's... I don't think that's right. Was probably against school rules, since it was PDA... but that doesn't like, make it lesbian. Affection isn't inherently sexual - and I don't really think being gay or lesbian is a sin, either. Jesus's message was wholly about love, and peace, and treating others and yourself with respect and understanding and inclusiveness. Being gay doesn't conflict with any of that. Still, even if I see it that way, it doesn't mean other people will...

"Thanks Mara." I murmur to her, smiling at her happily even if I'm clearly pretty embarrassed by all the attention I've been receiving this morning. Pretty sure I'm going to be hearing about this at Track practice. I'm looking towards her still, opening my mouth again in order to ask her about joining the CA, but stop myself. I've, uh... already made enough of a scene this morning... even if it was a very nice scene. I'll just ask her about it between classes. Sneaking a glance at Orchid really quick, I go back to reviewing my immaculately correct, at this point octuple-checked homework.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | XP 1 | Conditions:

I applaud. After all, when someone gives you a show, it's only polite to applaud. Mandy kicks my ankle from across the aisle but i ignore her.

"Bravo," I say. "I agree. If pretty girls kissing is wrong, I, for one, don't want to be right." I grin. "You should be on posters."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scene One, Continued

Mark, the president of the Christian Association, turns around as Mara makes her pronouncement and looks shocked. Normally he's the nicest guy, but Mara can tell that this is going to have some consequences later. He looks like he really wants to say something but as the catcalls come out he bites his lip and stays quiet.

Pete looks utterly confused. Orchid kissed him, but then Orchid made out with Summer. If Summer was a dude, Pete would know what to do (it would involve punching.) But Summer was not a dude, and even Pete wasn't so much of a gorilla that he'd punch a girl. Cogs started turning in his tiny brain but it'd take a while before they ground to a decision.

Mandy wishes she had the courage to make out with Efran in the middle of class. She finishes off the candy and sighs.

Luckily the bell rang just then, releasing everyone into the hallway. Mr. Cole was still there, but Officer Mayes had started walking away as soon as the bell rang. The teacher watches you all leave, looking unusually pensive.

---

Giving people a chance to meet in the hall or at lunch, then we'll move to the Pep Rally!

---

Antony:

Text from Ashley posted:

heard tennis team gonna go streaking, can u beat that?

Mr. Cole stops you on your way out and hands you a piece of paper. It's from Mr. Garcia, the Band director. Two of your brass section called in sick today so it looks like a couple people who didn't pull 'pep duty' are going to have to fill in. Who will you sacrifice send to play? Do you go yourself?

Mara: Mark corners you before you can talk to anyone else. "Hey, you know I don't like bigotry in the Association but you can't just quote scripture however you want to or it doesn't mean anything. You know we don't support homosexuals, what was all that about?" The way he says it makes it clear he's pretty disgusted by the whole idea of 'homosexuals', no matter how inclusive he pretends to be. How does that make you feel? What do you say?

Connor: Paimon waits until after you're out in the hall to speak again. ~It was a small thing of little consequence.~ he says, sounding bored. ~Unless of course, it wasn't. I could... investigate for you, if you're sure that it wasn't just your own oafish lack of balance.~ Johanna waves as she walks off, making sure to sway her hips in your general direction.

Summer: You have your Office Aide hour before lunch today! Who gets called to see the principal that you didn't expect? Did any of the announcements for the day surprise you?

Orchid: Homeroom went great today but it seems like you've got a new admirer in Pete. He's actually following you around now, (he's half a head taller than anyone else in school so it's easy to spot him in the crowd between classes.) It seems like he's trying to figure out what to say to you, but he hasn't quite worked it out yet. If you wait until lunch it's probably going to get super-awkward. How do you deal with the unwanted attention?

Amy: Something about the way Mara looked back at you felt really weird! Actually she's been weird since this summer... but Orchid kissing Summer still has you hot and bothered. Do you want to talk to Mara or Orchid first? Will you meet with Grace at lunch or try to dodge her if she comes looking for you?

Everyone: You have two more classes to get through before lunch, which is probably your best chance to set plans in motion for later at the Rally. Who do you meet up with? What do you get into?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Orchid and Summer. I'm too busy wracking my brain with the idea and all the implications and what Connor said to really click in on what Mara's saying. I get there a minute late, totally shocked. I want to scream, I want to dance, I want to kiss her. Oh dear lord do I want to kiss her. Maybe somebody else would. Not me, though.That's the last thing I want to do. Moody art girl also likes girls. Ugh. Stab me now, I'm a living cliche. No, I want to take her aside, somewhere quiet during break and just touch her, smell her...

...the bell goes off. Everybody's up and running and that Mark guy gets to Mara before I do. He's...not happy. If there's anybody who needs to turn to stone...something about him just makes my skin crawl. Not going to get into it with him. I lurk behind him long enough to make sure Mara saw me, then turn and stalk off.

My next couple classes are dullsville, and not a big deal. No, my next big spot of fun is lunch. Grace wanted to see me. Talk to me. I've got my tray and I slide in across from her. I start eating without saying anything, not looking at her.

"Hey," Grace says.

"Hey," I answer.

"Sooooooo...." Grace says, tilting her head, looking at me. "You just planning to avoid me forever?"

"Maybe," I answer. Except I'm here, so that's not really an answer, is it?

"Amy," Grace says, her frustration palpable. She reaches over and tries to flip my hood back. I dart in time to stop her. "No!" I hiss.

"What? You just want to hide?" Grace pushes. "We've been best friends since forever, what do I care if you're gay?"

"That's not..." I start, but Grace cuts me off. "I know, it's Texas," she says. "I'm not gonna tell," she says. "But if even Mara can say good things about it, maybe it wouldn't be as bad as you think."

"Maybe," I says, reclaiming my sullen, monosyllabic mantle like it's a comfortable hoodie.

"And if you wanted to kiss me, I wouldda said yes," Grace says.

"You would have?" Grace has definitely had boyfriends before. Maybe she's humoring me?

"I don't know how you did that....medusa effect thing on me," Grace says, sounding more excited. "But that was hot."

I'm hiding my face well enough I don't think Grace can see me blushing. What do I tell her? It was a drug? A hallucination?

"That was some strong stuff, huh?" I answer, a sort of qualified, non-commital tone.

Grace nods emphatically.

Neonchameleon, we can do separate a separate vignette getting Mara and Amy together, after lunch, maybe? Or before the pep rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

After that gold star of a homeroom (and being unable to talk to Mara because Mark needs her), it's onto the infinitely less interesting Physics, then Office Aide. Mr. Bohatch likes to turn the lights off and put on really boring powerpoint lectures with lots of important formulas written in tiny fonts. It's probably my least favorite class, but I've still got one science credit left to fill so it was either it or Chem 2. There's a pop quiz at the start and everything, but I managed to get a 9/10 - because he gave me partial credit for two answers that I probably didn't deserve partial credit for.

Office Aide isn't quite this morning's Homeroom-level interesting, but it's eventful nonetheless. Giving the announcements is always fun, and I get to do it for the whole semester! Doug Smith is the other Office Aide, and for whatever reason he doesn't seem interested in saying them - I think he's shy - so I handle it. The one about cats being banned from the campus is, uh, well that's kinda weird. Was that a problem here? Maybe someone is deathly allergic to them? It's such a huge school though, the biggest one I've ever been to... you wouldn't think cat dander would be that big of a problem. Weird.

Another oddity is that word of what happened between Orchid and I has spread already somehow. At the least, Luke Watson knew about it. About halfway through the class a call came in from Mrs. Daniel's room, and they sent me to go pick Luke up because he was being rude and disruptive. He's like... the head of the track team. We don't actually have a captain, because a track team is so big you'd need like four, but at the least he's super talented and he's clearly the coach's favorite and he's probably the most popular person on the team. So it was, well... ok, so here's what he said.

Me: And this was as we were walking towards the office, right? Other than hi, we hadn't even said anything to each other. So, Me: "Luke, what happened? They just said you were being rude at the office." I didn't call him rude! I was just asking to see if it was actually rude or not, and letting him know what they were saying so he'd be ready when he got to the front office - and know what he was being accused of.

Him: "What do you care, dyke?" He sounded vicious. I was actually scared.

We walked the rest of the way in dreadful silence. Track is looking like it's not going to be much fun today...

-----

I'm watching the clock so I have all my stuff put away in my backpack when it's precisely time for lunch. Vegetarian options are scarce already, and it's even slimmer pickings if you get there late. I snag some food real quick, then start to wander around the lunch room, looking for Orchid. She said we're supposed to eat at together on the roof, right? I'm not, uh... actually certain on how to get there from here. I hear at least one person mumble something at me (you can tell), but when I look over to the table everyone's conspicuously avoiding meeting my gaze. Oh. So it probably wasn't nice...

Luckily, I spot Orchid across the room trying to get my attention. Not certain how I missed her, given her distinctive hair. Joining her, I lean back against the wall and snag a french fry off my plate, then offer her one. Everybody always wants one. "So, I'm ready - how do we get to, uh, the roof? Haven't, uh, been up there... yet." Is that where the cool kids eat lunch?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread