Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Hot: -1 Cold: 2 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
Harm 0/4 | XP 0 | Conditions: Heartbreaker

Pep Rally. Won't that be special? I'm hoping I can slip off campus before anybody suckers me into going. Grace and Orchid and a few others, we'd go down to those sorts of things just to mock, being the back and point at the ridiculousness of all that. Now...eh, crowds. I make a sour face that maybe Grace saw, because my phone goes off a second later.

*DING*

":-) tinyurl.com/foramy"

Oh crap. I have no idea where that's going to go. I steal a glance at Grace, who's looking back over her shoulder at me, looking pleased as punch.

Pete to my left, Connor to my right. No way this'll go badly.

*CLICK*

I...oh poo poo. How did Grace even....she's not a moron, that's how even. I did something to her and she knows it and there's the link, a loving Wikipedia page staring back at me.

My thumbs dart immediately to text her back.

"U were super stoned." Maybe I can pass it off, somehow? Maybe I need to shrink further into my hoodie.

Shut down Grace: 2d6+2 6

quote:

Name: Amelia Saunders
Look: Wallflower, downcast eyes, sleek hair
Skin: The Gorgon
Origin: A wish gone wrong

Conditions:

Harm
[ ][ ][ ][ ]

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Tell
Amy now specifically avoids eye contact with people at all costs, leading to very weird social interactions. This is particularly notable for people who knew her in the past before this behavior developed.

Sex Move
If you and your partner can see each other when you have sex your partner becomes Petrified and takes 1 harm. The next time you meet, tell them either:
* You think you were a pity-gently caress, dare gently caress, or notch on their bedpost
* You think they were mainly motivated by affection and give them a string
Then they tell you whether you were right as either honesty or the audience demands. If you were you both take 1 forward. If you were wrong and they laughed at you they take 1 forward.

Darkest Self
You’re done hiding your gaze. If people can’t meet it, that’s their issue. You meet the gaze of everyone you encounter unless they are taking explicit precautions. If they try to hold your gaze you aren’t backing down. Escape your darkest self when either you actually turn someone to stone or someone takes 2 harm trying to talk (and stare) you down.

Moves

[+] Petrification
Whenever you look or gaze into someone’s eyes, roll to Shut Them Down. On a hit give them the condition Petrified - or if they are already Petrified they take 1 Harm as well as other consequences. If harm from this move would kill them they turn to stone. If you can see through it you can Petrify someone through it.

If you start a session (including the first) with no social conditions, gain your choice of:
* The condition Scary
* The condition Freak
* Any social condition you’ve had before
* Any social condition agreed by the table

[+]Head Full of Snakes
You can see very blurrily through the snakes on your head without petrifying people. They can pick things up, bite, and give you +1 to Run Away as you can always see what’s behind you..

[+] Oops!
Whenever you accidentally use Petrification on someone you care about, gain an experience point.

Backstory
* You looked into someone’s you care about’s eyes and hurt them. Tell them if they know why. Either way they take two strings on you and you take one on them.
* Someone is afraid of you and doesn’t know why. Take a string on them.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 1 | Conditions: Heartbreaker

I can feel Connor looking at me. I steal a glance back when he's not looking, in those tense seconds between hitting send and wondering if I colossally hosed up.

*DING*

Text from Grace posted:

ya totally stoned. :rolleyes: cya at lunch?

gently caress. gently caress gently caress. What do I say to that?

"Hi Grace, yeah, I used you as my living makeout post, hope we're cool?"

"Hey, Grace, so, we go way back, so bee-tee-dubs, I'm turning into some kind of classical greek monster."

"Mara's totally frozen me out and it's ripping up my heart and I just wanted to grab somebody."

None of those sound good. Maybe if I say all three the awfulness will balance out?

She's looking at me. I look back, careful to avoid her eyes. She doesn't seem scared. Is she one too? No, she was totally surprised when I started petrifying her.

I really don't want to talk to her. I don't. But I have to. Otherwise it'll spiral out of control and who knows who she'll talk to and then I'm well and truly hosed.

Text from Amy posted:

K.

My finger hovers for a couple seconds, then stabs send.

I presume Grace's phone dinged. I can't hear it over Connor hitting the floor with a loud crash. "THE gently caress!?" I shout, not able to help myself. I'm all up on my chair now, legs at my chest, feet on the chair.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 28, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 1 | Conditions: Heartbreaker

I'm so on edge. So jumpy. Taking this Grace thing in stride is gonna be way harder than I thought. I went from stoic to freaked in 6.8 seconds! My head darts, hunching down as I peek out. Why's Summer giving Orchid a note? Those two should be like oil and water. Same with Connor...although I guess Summer's nice to everybody. But why's Connor being nice back? I didn't think the sweet girl thing worked on him.

Is somebody talking to me? Oh, Antony. He and that band crowd have gotten even more insular and clubby lately. Why is he talking to me? I look at his face, then his hands, then his face. "I...I'm good," I say. My left leg unravels. "Startled. Loud noises, you know," I explain, shooting a look towards where Connor's getting back up. And...macking on Johanna, apparently. drat, why couldn't I have wished for a sexy accent. "Uh....thanks," I add to Antony, almost as an afterthought.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 28, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 2 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker

Just when I'm talking to Antony, my phone goes off. Grace? No, Mara. I look up from my phone and I'm looking right at her. Is...she pissed with me? I thought she was ignoring me! Maybe we can....I'm still looking at her as I type back.

To Mara, From Amy posted:

Ya

Then I can feel it. I can feel it and she probably can too, as my power (poo poo, need a better name. Gaze?) kicks in.

Shut down Mara (Petrify): 2d6+2 9
Triggering Ooops!, marking XP.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Amy's ignorant of whatever juju Mara's doing. She just looks away, the chilly feeling rippling through her and then fading. Why does doing that always make her feel so....good? Why can't she control it?

There's more immediate problems, like Orchid going to town on Summer. That makes Amy sit up straight. Orchid had been...close. Not like Mara, but a companion, and a comfort, and so...yes, Amy's staring, so much so that her hood falls off exposes her over-dyed hair. A concerned, muppet-like squeak comes from her.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

Connor again. I look over, sure that my surprise is written all over my face. I swallows hard, choking something down. "Fine," I say, probably in my lease convincing tone ever.

My hands, wipe at my eyes, then I grab my hood and pull it back up. "We usedtah....kinda..." I sputter in half-explanation. "Doesn't matter," I say. And... it doesn't does it?Orchid was fun, my first, but she's no Mara...right?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

I look up at Connor, who's lingering close. "You think I should hit her?" I ask him. He probably does. That'd be such a boy thing to want. Probably wants to see a girl-fight too. "Or kiss somebody to make her jealous? You?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Orchid and Summer. I'm too busy wracking my brain with the idea and all the implications and what Connor said to really click in on what Mara's saying. I get there a minute late, totally shocked. I want to scream, I want to dance, I want to kiss her. Oh dear lord do I want to kiss her. Maybe somebody else would. Not me, though.That's the last thing I want to do. Moody art girl also likes girls. Ugh. Stab me now, I'm a living cliche. No, I want to take her aside, somewhere quiet during break and just touch her, smell her...

...the bell goes off. Everybody's up and running and that Mark guy gets to Mara before I do. He's...not happy. If there's anybody who needs to turn to stone...something about him just makes my skin crawl. Not going to get into it with him. I lurk behind him long enough to make sure Mara saw me, then turn and stalk off.

My next couple classes are dullsville, and not a big deal. No, my next big spot of fun is lunch. Grace wanted to see me. Talk to me. I've got my tray and I slide in across from her. I start eating without saying anything, not looking at her.

"Hey," Grace says.

"Hey," I answer.

"Sooooooo...." Grace says, tilting her head, looking at me. "You just planning to avoid me forever?"

"Maybe," I answer. Except I'm here, so that's not really an answer, is it?

"Amy," Grace says, her frustration palpable. She reaches over and tries to flip my hood back. I dart in time to stop her. "No!" I hiss.

"What? You just want to hide?" Grace pushes. "We've been best friends since forever, what do I care if you're gay?"

"That's not..." I start, but Grace cuts me off. "I know, it's Texas," she says. "I'm not gonna tell," she says. "But if even Mara can say good things about it, maybe it wouldn't be as bad as you think."

"Maybe," I says, reclaiming my sullen, monosyllabic mantle like it's a comfortable hoodie.

"And if you wanted to kiss me, I wouldda said yes," Grace says.

"You would have?" Grace has definitely had boyfriends before. Maybe she's humoring me?

"I don't know how you did that....medusa effect thing on me," Grace says, sounding more excited. "But that was hot."

I'm hiding my face well enough I don't think Grace can see me blushing. What do I tell her? It was a drug? A hallucination?

"That was some strong stuff, huh?" I answer, a sort of qualified, non-commital tone.

Grace nods emphatically.

Neonchameleon, we can do separate a separate vignette getting Mara and Amy together, after lunch, maybe? Or before the pep rally.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

So. Grace. Huh. Insert cliche about hating to see her go.

Now I don't know what to think. Grace...wants me? Or at least she's curious. She's not scared, which is something. Something nice, actually.

I'm so wrapped up in my own thoughts that I don't see the milk streaking in like a chocolate bomb. The carton smacks me in the shoulder and immediately gets all over my hoodie, soaking through to my t-shirt underneath. "poo poo!" i call, scrambling up to my feed. Now I'm looking....but that food fight's already getting broken up by Mayo. It's not obvious who hit me, and I'm going to go demand answers. I'd better change, except....into what?

Huh...
I leave my lunch unfinished on the table and grab my bag, fishing my phone out.

To: Mara From: Amy posted:

Hit in food fight. U got spare clths?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

I start down the hall, tugging my hoodie off one arm, then pausing to shift my bad and yanking off the other. The thing's soaked and is already starting to smell nasty and milky. Just as I get things put back together, my phone dings.

Seriously, Mara? I pause and take a shot to send back to her.

quote:

Why does that make me smile? It does. It's how it should be. Roof. I can manage that. I pause at my locker to toss my hoodie inside. I'll take it home with my gym stuff - which is skanky and I'm not wearing all day, thank you very much - to wash. I flip my phone over to twitter to see what's up and....woah. Mara. Mara mara mara. You're just trying to break all the hearts, aren't you? Especially mine.

I sneak into the stairwall and pause, glancing, then start heading up for the roof.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

I slam into the crash bar on the roof door, pushing it out and entering the hot Texas sun. At least nobody'll see us up here. At least, that's what I think, until I round one of the big air conditioner units and see them. Orchid and Summer. Summer's half dressed, and hell, Orchid's entirely topless, as she brings her arm back and throws something down into the parking lot. If it were just Orchid, I could probably slink off, but Summer's facing me so no way I can hide.

"So that wasn't just a show?" I ask, keeping my eyes away from them...or trying to. drat, they're both super cute, if in different ways.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Summer's having a freak out. Does she have parents like Mara? That would be blowful. "I..." I crinkle my brow. I want to look at her, but I know I can't. "No! I'm no bigot! I'm..." wait, what's Orchid up to? My attention drifts over Orchid. "Craig?" I ask, moving in closer. "What're you doing, Orchid?" I ask. Orchid never seemed the type to hurt people. I mean, even people like Craig, who arguably deserve it. I find myself right at the ledge, looking out over the parking lot.

I know that jeep. It's Mara! :love:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Orchid's throwing something. I watch it streak out over the parking lot and...

...crack Mara right in the head.

Mara! I'm frozen for a second, then I wheel and shove Orchid hard. "The gently caress is wrong with you!?" I shout. I want to fight her. I want to shove her off the roof! Every part of me's shaking.

Orchid will not be defenestrating today. Lucky here. Her clothes...not so lucky. A dart of impulse and I grab her clothes, sitting on the roof, and hurl them off. Then I take off running.

*SLAM*

Down the stairs, I'm taking them two at a time, running. I nearly plow down Mark - well, he'd plow me down, given our relative sizes - and then I'm out the front doors, into the parking lot.

"Mara!" I shout. "Mara!"

I finally make it to her, nearly out of breath, and drop to my knees next to her. I poke at her head with my fingers. "Ah," I wince. Must be worse for her. I grab the bottom hem of my t-shirt and yank, ripping it, and wrap a strip around my hand, pushing it to Mara's head.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 1, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"Careful!" I warn Mara, as she tries to stand. She's doing okay, though. Wobbly. I duck in and hold her around the waist helping to hold her up. It feels so nice. All my guards are down, I just want to look into her eyes, hug her, kiss her..."I....s'why I did it," I say. Focus! I keep my hand on her temple. "Can you hold this?" I ask. I'll need a free hand to get the doors open. "Nurse," I agree, and then I glance around. "Too long," I answer her. "Months," I say. I squeeze Mara tighter and steal a kiss on her cheek. Anything more and we might not be getting to the nurse. Time for everything else later - for Mara, for kissing, for freaking Orchid.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

I want to argue. I so want to argue. I will. Later. And she's holding my hand - that gives me hope. It'll keep me going, until we can talk for real.

"Nah, wouldn't think you would," I tell her. I feel like old Amy. Amy who could look at people and kiss people and be with people without being afraid. Being so afraid. I was never Miss Congeniality. Maybe that's why I find her so appealing. For now, I just need to help Mara get to the nurse's office, which thankfully isn't too far down the hall.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 3 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker

Oh poo poo.

Mara's up to something. She can be such a little schemer. It comes from leading two lives, I guess. Everybody does it, but Mara takes it to the next level. I take a deep breath as we get to the door.

"Just...don't do anything super stupid, okay?" I beg of her, and then I let her go. In through the doors and then....

I gasp right along with everybody else. I hadn't expected this! She's doing it to gently caress with Mark, I can tell that much. If she'd said what she was going to do I would have stopped her....but she didn't give me that much. She knows me too well. My shock starts to wear off and I takes a step forward. She's not getting up yet and nobody else is helping her up.

I get to her side and say. "Mara?" I ask, crouching down, trying not to look her in the eye. "Mara, c'mon, get up," I encourage, taking her shoulder. I startle as I see the blood in her mouth. Crazy bitch.

Mark gets quite a death glare. I don't even care if it hurts him. "Aren't you gonna help her up?" I ask.

Petrify (shut down) Mark: 2d6+2 8
Mark gains 'Petrified' and takes one harm. Amy gains 1 XP.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 3 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker, Scary!

Mark reels back. I can hear him grinding. CAn other people hear that? I can taste his fear. Yeah, gently caress you, Mark, you self-righteous rear end in a top hat. I could do it, I could change him right here. That'd show him. Nobody would question me, I'd get what I want and I'd show them all...

...I'd....show them all?

My eyes dart away and down to the floor. No, no, life's too hard already. Don't need to add 'known monster' on top of that. My heart starts to go back to normal, my blood cooling as I stand back up. Summer helps Mara up, then passes her over to me. I mouth 'thank you' to the blonde, then head off with Mara towards the nurse's office. Mayo clears the way and opens doors and looks generally officious. Finally we're there, and I drop Mara into a waiting chair, landing next to her. They'll have to get the nurse, she does like, five jobs, thanks to budget cuts.

That leaves me and Mara alone for at least a few minutes. I breathe heavily, looking at her. "You're a crazy bitch, you know that?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"I didn't say it was bad," I mutter back at Mara, trying to steal a look at her. If I make eye contact, I don't know if I'll be able to stop myself. Busting out my monster on Mark still has me keyed up, and I know how things went when I used it on Grace, so.....yeah, I'm not looking at Mara yet.

"Okay," I say. "Um...oh. Clothes," I say. I'd been clutching them in my free hand through all this, but thankfully they're blood free. Somehow, looking at myself now, just getting milk on me seems like not a problem at all. "I'll go change, see you later," I say. "And...yeah, I think we do. Your place." I pull away and pause. "But, the pep rally?" I ask.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Hot: -1 Cold: 2
Volatile: -1 Dark: 1

"Yeah. Okay, then," I say. I could probably stay over, mom tends to let me get away with such things these days. I shifts the clothes in my hands as Mara hugs me, and....she gave me what? Mara, you saucy girl. Wonderful. "Meet you there. And like....try not to hurt yourself again," I say. "I hate seeing it."

With that I turn and head for the door.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy

I slink out into the hall, leaving Mara behind. I feel bad, but the nurse will want to see her. I pass Connor, almost colliding with him. For somebody who was practically drooling on me earlier, he totally ignores me now. What, do I smell? Whatever. I get down the hall and play with my phone. Mara's still tweeting. She's loving this attention...and you'd think that'd have made it all okay.

Grump. I'll have to get to classes soon, and then that stupid pep rally.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

I'm all changed and relatively clean, so back to my locker to stuff the crap in there. Worry about it later. My phone shakes a few times, while I have it put down inside my locker to move things around. I'm getting DMs?

@austinslutwalk posted:

@Amy Come next month!

And I'm getting mentions?

@TXGayStraightAlliance posted:

Way to show how everybody can work together! @mara @amy

@OdessaBaptist posted:

Do not shun the sinners, for you can show them the way to righteousness.

I'm skimming through them. Mara's being a drama queen and....and....

...did she just out me?

Just as I'm pondering that, my phone dings.

Mara. Why am I not surprised? I shift my hips, swing the skirt out and give it a good swish. Well. She's not wrong.

Connor slinks past me during my own self-examination. What's up with him? And what was he doing in the nurse's office? I shut my locker and head after him. "Connor?" I ask, and then have to speak up. "Connor? What were you doing in the nurse's office?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"Pep rally?" I ask Connor. "I'm in art class," she reminds him. It is, admittedly, easy to forget, given how her usually quiet nature has been amped up to 11 in recent months. "No we didn't," she says softly, her head shaking. She glances down at her phone and types something out quickly.

To Mara posted:

You meant you? OK. :-)

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Connor's not convincing at all. I was in class, I know what was said! Don't I? Or maybe he's just confused, not a liar. That's possible. There's so much intense stuff that's been going down though.

"In a hurry?" I ask, eyes shifting. "What's Mara up to?" I take a guess. She /is/ a drama queen, and it seems likely she's up to something she hasn't told me about. Maybe she told Connor?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 4 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker, Scary!

I narrow my eyes a little. Bet Connor enjoyed that whole show a lot. And Orchid is....not actually a douchelord, but certainly not on my top list at the moment. "But you're not gay," I say. There's no way he is, with the way he was eying me earlier. And now I've got this skirt of Mara's that's way saucier than what I was wearing earlier. "Let me help," I say.

Accidental Turn-on! (Curse you, Mara!) Taking +1 because Connor's a loser.
Turn Connor on: 2d6 5
Mmmmnope. Marking XP.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 4, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

I turn and spot where the locker is. IS Connor just screwing with me? Why would Mara need to do that? "Okay, fine," I say, shifting my lips, thinking about how I'd actually do it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

One period. Great. How am I going to do this?

Step one, I need to get the combination to the locker. That I can handle with a text. I hope.

To Summer posted:

Need favor. Combo to locker 47. ASAP.

Summer should know she owes me. Now all I need to do is get my hands on the skeleton itself. I head down the hall towards the bio lab. There's two bio labs, actually, across the hall from each other. I slide up to the door and peek through into lab one. Class is already starting, but it's not anatomy. And Mr. Handerson is teaching. He's an older guy and I swear a little creepy. Maybe Mara's skirt can help me here. I open the door and step in, putting in my most abashed, embarrassed and not looking. "Uh, hi," she says. "Miss Lugeons needs the skeleton," I say. I scoot quickly to the back of the room, head down, and grab the skeleton, rolling it quickly towards the door. Now I just need to hope Summer's texted me back by now.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

My phone dings while I'm halfway down the hall. Got the combination. That's good. Just hope it'll work. I scoot down the hall back towards locker 47. I look up and down the hall. Yup, it's clear.

Okay, three turns right ten. Two left 20. Right to 30.

Nope.

Calm down, Amy.

Three turns right to ten. Two left to twenty. Right to 30. Ah! Click! I stuff the skeleton in and shut the door carefully, letting it click shut and then mosey down the hall.

To Connor posted:

Locker 47. :-)

Oh. Huh.

Summer posted:

Okay.

Not that I know when 'later' is going to be, between the pep rally and Mara. Blowing off Summer would probably be a good way to reg her to narc on me, so skipping that.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

With my dirty work done, I head off towards the gym to get ready for the pep rally. I get a nice seat up in back, better view and less rowdy to boot, which means less chance of busting out my gaze without meaning to. drat, wish I still had my hoodie. Wish I still had pants. I guess it keeps people from looking at my face. My phone dings and I take it out.

@Connor posted:

@Amy Yer a wizard amy :{

Haha. If only hew knew. A quick message back as I climb the bleachers.

@Amy posted:

@Connor S'true, I'm magical. :-)

So now it's just hanging out and watching cheerleaders. Could be worse. Except...oh. I feel my face going hot, just seeing Mara come in. Am I...poo poo, am I crushing? But my phone's in my hand as I text...

@Amy posted:

@Mara See you! :-)

And then Grace lands next to me. I flip my phone over right quick and smile at her, looking mostly at her knees. "Hey," I say. "Party?" Grace asks, sliding her phone over for me to see. It's a text from...somebody I don't recognize, talking about a party this evening. Football party. Bring beer. I....My eyes dart. "You going?" I say, trying to pass it off casually. Grace hummms. "If I can get a good date."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Ding.

@Mara posted:

Come join us? They won't bite.

My eyes dart from my phone to Mara, down at the base of the bleachers. She's trying? Maybe. I get up and say to Grace, "Back in a few," and start my way down.

"You don't know that," I tell Mara enigmatically, and then mutter a greeting to the others. I try to put my hands in my pockets, when I realize I don't have them anymore. Crap.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Hugs! Ack! I'm...totally surprised. I side-eye Mara and try desperately not to give off too much of a 'vibe'. I can't handle that kind of attention now. "Uh, hi," I say, once I've separated from Mara, glancing over the association only to return to some serious shoe contemplating at the end.

"A....celebration of what?" I ask, shifting awkwardly, playing with my hair. "Until doomsday?" I suggest to Mara, putting on a small smile. They can take a joke, right?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"He's not that bad," I say. And he's not...is he? I've never had any major run ins, although I'm not a trouble-maker either. Quiet girls tend not to get attention from anybody.

Mara puts me on the spot and...maybe she's grasping for help. Joe seems....kind of like a dick. They all seem kind of like dicks, really, and makes me want to ask Mara what she's doing with them. But I know - the masks, boos. "I don't think they hire those models until they're older" I say, trying to pivot. "But you could pull it off, Mara."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"Yeah, but Mara's /so/ not the flaming sword mass murder type," I reply, before I realize that might be just a touch too aggressive for this group.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"It would," I say in agreement. "Avenging, righting wrongs, it's really you, Mara. Slaying monsters," I add, and my voice slide sto a mutter. Slaying monsters. Um....well I hope not that, but have I said too much. "I dunno," I say, shrugging, and looking vaguely towards Joe. "Do angels /need/ the wings or are they just for show? And would you have, like, seven heads? You wouldn't be able to find shirts."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"Or like, halters," I add. It's sort of a random thought and I adds, "Then they'd just be like superheroes, though. Be confusing." Did I miss something. "Beast from the sea?" I ask, confused. I look at Mara for a minute, then look away before she can really make eye contact.

"Unless you just stone them to death," I say. I...probably should not have said that.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Mara's sort of been yammering and I'm not quite sure I got it all. Too much Jesus, I missed something, in there, I think. Did I? Mara's up to something, amping her usual drama to 11. She used to be so neat about separating her worlds and now she's...what, blowing it all up? God, I've got to get that girl alone sometime.

My phone dings. Grace. Huh. I look up at her and raise a finger. It's weird. I like Grace a bunch. We go way back, and...she's into me, or at least the freaky monster poo poo I can do. Can't say the same of Mara. Shouldn't I want to be with Grace? She knows my secret...or suspects. Knows more than Mara, at least. Yet I can't deny Mara's more compelling. I only got it on with Grace because she was....hell, she was there. Which I know is a horribly lovely way to treat a friend, and I guess makes me horrible and lovely. Can I just have them both? Maybe Mara and Grace would like each other!

That's...probably not going to happen. Ever. Especially not with Grace's take on them. Or them on her, I'd guess.

Here goes my attempt at threading the needle. As Mara and the group starts to move to seats, I say, "Hey, Grace should come join us."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 5 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker, Scary!

"Yeah," I say. I did ask if it was okay, why wouldn't it? I quickly text back to Grace.

From Amy posted:

They're not so bad. Would you rather be alone? Come join us!

As soon as I see Grace has the text, I look up towards the bleachers and wave an arm.

Manipulate Grace: 2d6-1 7
Qualified success, what's it take, Mistaya?
Marking XP

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 15, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 5 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker, Scary!

I've just gotten a seat next to Mara and then Grace comes down and lands next to me, leaving me sandwiched. "There was a food fight and milk and..." then Mara interrupts me.

"Uh, you've met Mara?" I ask Grace, trying to be friendly. "Mara, this is Grace." I don't think they've ever hung out, outright, but it's likely Grace knows who Mara is. Who doesn't, the little moral drama queen. My hands tug and adjust at the hem of my all-too-short skirt. "Grace and I've been friends since we were little," I tell Mara. Grace is a bit too busy rubbing her eyes. "Nice of you," she tells Mara, with that carefully measured tone of disbelief she does too well.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders
Harm 0/4 | XP 6 | Conditions: Guilty, Heartbreaker, Scary!, Terrified

*Kersplash* "What the..."Grace!" I call, as she storms off, and away from me. Grace, my best friend. My secret crush. My secret second-place crush. And possible future sculpture project. My stomach feels knotted in all the wrong ways. I want to run after her, but I don't. Let her go. Let her come back to me....hell, let her tell, will anybody even believe her?

The match hits the gas and things go up in a FWOOSH! I jump back, towards Mara, without even realizing it. The costume's on fire and people are starting to freak out. Teachers are yelling and then the fire alarm goes off. I reach out and grab Mara's hand, where nobody can see, and I look at her, right in the eyes, for a few seconds, long enough to let her know I know. "We should go with the crow," I whisper, moving in the same direction as the evacuation. Can't rush, can't linger, just find the right pace.

Hold Steady (fire!): 2d6+2 9
Marking +1 XP, taking 'Terrified' and taking 1 forward.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

"You planned this all from the start," I hiss at Mara. I'm looking away now, more down at her feet. "Now you need new clothes. We could run to my house?" I offer.

Arguably Amy should get an XP for accidentally using petrify on Mara...although so far it's just been in the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Amy Saunders

Everything else seems to have simmered down, so I grab Mara's hand. "Let's go," I tell her, and tug her away from the crowd, heading towards the parking lot. My beatup little hatchback is there, and it won't take more than five minutes to get home at this time of day.

• Locked thread