Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Not that I recall, but I'd think such a scene would be incompatible with the altered origins of the homunculi.

Been years since I watched the original series though, so maybe.

Considering they only weaken when exposed to their original bones I'm almost certain Ed dug up his own mother's grave so he could kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering they only weaken when exposed to their original bones I'm almost certain Ed dug up his own mother's grave so he could kill her.
Ah, I remember now.

Still not quite one-for-one though since the emotional context is different. In the first adaption he's digging up his mother's grave in an effort to finally put her to rest, so to speak, whereas in the manga (and Brotherhood) it's about confronting whether or not he resurrected his mother only for her to die again, and if not then what debt he owes to his stillborn creation.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember first watching Full Metal Alchemists and it was full of serious gutpunches that hooked me, kept me interested and made me nearly jump in my seat with reverence.

I later bought and read the manga and while it was a fair bit better with pacing and some story-telling, it was missing these gut punches.

I have yet to watch Brotherhood, is there a point if I've done the above?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, brotherhood's pretty much just the manga.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
There are a lot of little things in the manga the anime couldn't fit in. A ton of the ishbal war flashback was cut too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

.Clash posted:

There are a lot of little things in the manga the anime couldn't fit in. A ton of the ishbal war flashback was cut too.
They made OVAs that covered some of that stuff.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

They made OVAs that covered some of that stuff.

I know of people you confused the Brotherhood anime with the OVA's, considering they started out with the OVA's first.

As for anime versions. I prefer the Brotherhood to the 03 version as a whole, Though the first few episodes, where they cover in 4, compared to the 03 version of 24, hinted to me that they where simply building off the preexisting anime/manage material either by choice or they simply could not get another season just to cover it to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Original sloth is way better than momsloth

Well, yeah. The latter pretty much transparently exists solely as another way to poo poo on Ed and Al, something the first anime is more or less obsessed with.

Finding out that the dude handling the original FMA anime went on to work on E7:AO explained so drat much about why the latter ended up being a piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread