Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The manga is definitely the best iteration of the lot. There was a brief time early on in its life, when a lot of the foreshadowing and foundations for later awesome events had yet to transpire, that I think it could be argued that the first anime was better because it was a bit bolder/riskier/darker and since it was mostly able to tell a complete story a hell of a lot sooner (since it finished first). I think all told Bones did an admirable job of what they were given as a starting point. But it became a moot once the manga starting to pick up; basically no aspect of the story in the manga is not satisfactory at its worst or fan-loving-tastic at its best.

Brotherhood is an interesting curiosity but I don't think it's actually better than the manga in any particular way. I mean it's not that well animated and there's still a decent amount of cut content that disrupts the pacing. In fact the first 20 or so episodes are almost unacceptable and require either watching the first series or reading the bloody manga anyway to get any real sense of what "actually happened". Really the best thing I can say about Brotherhood is that some of the openings are catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I've shown just Brotherhood to people and they've gotten everything fine.
It's not a super complicated story, it's not like they went so far with cutting stuff that it got incomprehensible because it would be hard to actually do that so it's not surprising that people were not like lost or something. It still comes off as a cliffnotes version that rushed to get through a bunch of plot beats at the expense at any real sense of drama or character development. Ed/Al's actual childhood flashback which is like the basis for the whole story is pathetically portrayed as I recall, just blink and it's over. I dunno I guess I just can't be unbiased about it because I went into Brotherhood having read the manga and couldn't unsee all the seams where the cuts were, the base story is so good that it's not surprising people liked it as-is just fine if they had no previous knowledge about it.

• Locked thread