Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thegasman2000 posted:

Back here again. My last niche failed hard and I wondered of sharing my experience would help. Also I need to find a new one!

So I did some research (never enough is it) and stumbled upon Ukuleles... The little guitar type things. See I found a couple of suppliers who would drop ship them and the keywords were medium traffic and low competition. I made a shopify site and it looked great. I ran the test and didn't get a sale. I burned the $100 google credit and nothing. So I stopped advertising and worked on blog content, and trying to rank organically. When it eventually ranked organically my traffic was ok but still no one bought them. Turns out people want to strum a uke before they buy and this I hadn't considered... What if it was low competition because people don't buy these types of products online. Everything was golden except the bloody product I chose.

So from here I am apprehensive about burning time and effort again for no return. I am looking at perhaps referrals, probably amazon but also interested in other referral systems people are using.

Oh and if someone could share their settings from the top of Market Samurai that would be awesome. That software is still confusing as poo poo to me!

Would you take this on?

http://imgur.com/ZcIvKoi

The top one is a the manufacturers website (they don't sell direct), the second is amazon but a more expensive version to the one i would link to, third and forth are resellers and the rest is shite like youtube and facebook...

I would probably try it out. Keep in mind some manufacturers do CO-OP advertising, so if you find a niche that has OEMs that offer it then totally take advantage of it. Some OEMs offer up to 50% of the total cost of advertising!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm going to take a staycation next month and it will be a perfect time to sit down and put up a store. Last time I used that samurai tool to do keyword research, is there anything better now? What is considered a good volume result these days?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Mantle posted:

I'm going to take a staycation next month and it will be a perfect time to sit down and put up a store. Last time I used that samurai tool to do keyword research, is there anything better now? What is considered a good volume result these days?

I am using Market Samurai and after a million updates it works well!

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Is a SEOT score of > 1000 actually a thing that happens for keywords that aren't just a single word that could mean several things that don't necessarily signal buying intent? I've only done about an hour of keyword research but I haven't found one. On the other hand, that's probably expected if such keywords are so good, no? I imagine months of keyword research would be worth it when you finally find the right product and keywords.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fruit loop posted:

Is a SEOT score of > 1000 actually a thing that happens for keywords that aren't just a single word that could mean several things that don't necessarily signal buying intent? I've only done about an hour of keyword research but I haven't found one. On the other hand, that's probably expected if such keywords are so good, no? I imagine months of keyword research would be worth it when you finally find the right product and keywords.

It does happen but not too often.

lx2036
Dec 28, 2012

Quit job, traveling the world.
Ohhhh. Look what we have here...

Turns out, I've got a lot more to say about business. Mostly about motivation/goal setting/internal improvement stuff. I'll try to type it all out coherently and get back here within the next few days.

Hope all is going well and looking forward to another round of successful goon startups. (anyone remember the guy with the drone camera business, is he a millionaire now?)

Cheers,

Jason

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lx2036 posted:

Ohhhh. Look what we have here...

Turns out, I've got a lot more to say about business. Mostly about motivation/goal setting/internal improvement stuff. I'll try to type it all out coherently and get back here within the next few days.

Hope all is going well and looking forward to another round of successful goon startups. (anyone remember the guy with the drone camera business, is he a millionaire now?)

Cheers,

Jason

I do, i think the guy gave up on that site.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The original guy gave up and I took over. I couldn't get decent enough margin without buying at least $30,000 in inventory so I let it die. Now the market is saturated to hell.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
So how come the OP doesn't mention SEOV? Seems like SEOV is one way to show potential of keywords that have a low SEOT - just as 0.01 * SEOT * price * margin is a way to guess the potential of keywords that have a high SEOT but low SEOV.

Is SEOV useless or something? It's SEOT times the average adwords CPC for a keyword. Seems like a decent way to get an idea of how profitable a keyword could be, if you could somehow rank for it, given that other people have already noticed first and are spending tons of money on it. Or is that why we don't use it? So our ideal keyword would be mostly undiscovered, with a high SEOT and a relatively low SEOV?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I found a niche! I have a test site up and am running bing ads as they are cheap as gently caress. 100 impressions and no clicks though :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thegasman2000 posted:

I found a niche! I have a test site up and am running bing ads as they are cheap as gently caress. 100 impressions and no clicks though :(

Not too much to worry about. My campaigns could probably be more efficient but fwiw in the last 7 days I've had 88k impressions and about 1200 clicks on one of them.

iirc the average CTR is about 1-2% so yeah I'd expect maybe a click or two from 100 impressions assuming the ads are fine but it varies wildly based on all kinds of things. Bing in particular I think isn't going to be as good about that as Google's adwords depending on your market.

At least you're not paying for tons of clicks with no conversions; that's what really sucks.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 29, 2015

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Changed the ad up a bit and testing again. I am learning the whole Adwords thing on the fly and made a few mistakes... Such as I only advertiser in the uk and Ireland where I wanted to worldwide!

I need a resource to read on making ppc ads people want to click if anyone has any recommendations?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Anyone know how wrong the Market Samurai SEOT numbers are? Seems like the highest sub-1000 SEOT score I've seen is 835, and the lowest super-1000 SEOT score I've seen is 1022. The thing is, I've seen a ton of keywords with SEOTs of 835, and I'm wondering just how many of those might actually be keywords with > 1000 SEOT that MS is simply innaccurate for.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

fruit loop posted:

Anyone know how wrong the Market Samurai SEOT numbers are? Seems like the highest sub-1000 SEOT score I've seen is 835, and the lowest super-1000 SEOT score I've seen is 1022. The thing is, I've seen a ton of keywords with SEOTs of 835, and I'm wondering just how many of those might actually be keywords with > 1000 SEOT that MS is simply innaccurate for.

I think SEOT is searches * 0.42...

Weirdly i saw an SEOT of 1022 today!

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Yes, that's how SEOT is defined. That doesn't mean it's accurate. It could be that there are only a handful of numbers used to estimate search volume, even though the real numbers might be much different.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Just remembered I posted that question. ^

Yeah, so looks like Google's keyword tool itself does not give exact numbers. There are just a handful of numbers that a keyword may have for monthly traffic.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Complete novice here, freaking out slightly.

Our website has just been redesigned and the URLs have all changes.

Through almost an accident, the term is on the first page and it's the first result after Wikipedia.

I'm slightly freaking out as it brings in a tonne of leads and Analytics shows that it's easily the hardest working of our marketing channels.

How can I try and save that?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Convexed posted:

Complete novice here, freaking out slightly.

Our website has just been redesigned and the URLs have all changes.

Through almost an accident, the term is on the first page and it's the first result after Wikipedia.

I'm slightly freaking out as it brings in a tonne of leads and Analytics shows that it's easily the hardest working of our marketing channels.

How can I try and save that?

You redesigned your website and all the links that are supposed to be pointing to stuff for people to buy are invalid now and going nowhere? Is that the case? If so, then just need to up go into the code and update the links to the correct ones.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. So the company rebranded and changed its website. It seems like SEO wasn't taken into account though.

Actually, the site doesn't do very well on search. So they probably didn't think it was worth taking into account.

However there's this one term, and for some reason we're right there on Google - first page. It also happens to be the source of 50% our inbound leads.

That page will now appear on the new website, but with a different URL. Is there any way to save that SERP placement from the old page?

Sorry - I'm sure you can tell I'm a super noob here. SEO and technical marketing isn't my day jerb. :)

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Convexed posted:

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. So the company rebranded and changed its website. It seems like SEO wasn't taken into account though.

Actually, the site doesn't do very well on search. So they probably didn't think it was worth taking into account.

However there's this one term, and for some reason we're right there on Google - first page. It also happens to be the source of 50% our inbound leads.

That page will now appear on the new website, but with a different URL. Is there any way to save that SERP placement from the old page?

Sorry - I'm sure you can tell I'm a super noob here. SEO and technical marketing isn't my day jerb. :)

Set up a 301 redirect from the old page to the new and do it quick in case the page gets delisted. Plenty of resources out there to show you how :)

E: And do this for other old pages if you can, so incoming links aren't broken as that'll help as well.

Molotov Cock Tale fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 6, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Set up a 301 redirect from the old page to the new and do it quick in case the page gets delisted. Plenty of resources out there to show you how :)

E: And do this for other old pages if you can, so incoming links aren't broken as that'll help as well.

This. Who ever did the site really dropped the ball, and it happens all. the. time.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

To be honest, there's never been any real SEO work done so it wasn't really thought about. It's just by luck that one of our products hits the jackpot on a short tail keyword. I don't think anybody else has noticed this though.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6276125?hl=en

This was released about a month or so ago, but it can be huge for some of you.

The basic jist is if you have a list of emails, you can upload them into Adwords to run remarketing ads on search, gmail, display, and youtube. The great part is this, these people don't even need to have visited your site to remarket to them. Something to consider for you more established sites/companies to try out.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My cousin has a factory that manufactures a specific type of condom, but they don't do a good job marketing it. I think I've identified a keyword niche that I can win, but the overall market seems to be dominated by Trojan to the point where if I search for "condom" Google automatically includes the search term "Trojan". Is there an opportunity here? My other concerns are margin since the retail price for a box of 12 is only about USD $18.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 16, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mantle posted:

My cousin has a factory that manufactures a specific type of condom, but they don't do a good job marketing it. I think I've identified a keyword niche that I can win, but the overall market seems to be dominated by Trojan to the point where if I search for "condom" Google automatically includes the search term "Trojan". Is there an opportunity here? My other concerns are margin since the retail price for a box of 12 is only about USD $18.

A couple thoughts; seems like they are better off seeking larger suppliers to sell to but can't hurt to set up a quick website and take orders if their shipping department can do it easily. It's hard to compete with such established companies like Trojan - is there a particular thing that sets your product apart? Try long tail keywords and ads focused around that aspect. Trying to outcompete Trojan's per-click price on words like 'condom' seems like a quick way to blow your budget for no gain. Personally, I'm less likely to buy a brand of condoms I haven't heard of before. I might be adventurous but not when it comes to my condom busting - so if it's a question of 'we make the same thing as Trojan but slightly cheaper' I'm not sure that would generate the online revenue you need to cover costs.

If you think you have a niche and it won't cost you a ton to set up a website you can always put a small daily budget on AdWords to see what kinds of returns you can get.

As far as profit goes it just depends on shipping and operating costs. Without any volume discounts from carriers it's probably going to be at least $6-7 per package. Then you have to make sure you're actually making enough of a profit to cover the advertising + website costs. Depending on what it costs them to make 1 box they could turn an okay profit but I can easily see shipping costs destroying any profit margin after 'residential fee, fuel surcharge, out of area fee' all get tacked on. Depends on your RoI on ads, too. If 100 people click your ad and you're paying $0.50 a click but only 1 person buys a box of condoms you're making like $3-5 on then you're losing a lot of money.

Snatch Duster would know more probably but he's in kitty jail.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 16, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

A couple thoughts; seems like they are better off seeking larger suppliers to sell to but can't hurt to set up a quick website and take orders if their shipping department can do it easily. It's hard to compete with such established companies like Trojan - is there a particular thing that sets your product apart? Try long tail keywords and ads focused around that aspect. Trying to outcompete Trojan's per-click price on words like 'condom' seems like a quick way to blow your budget for no gain. Personally, I'm less likely to buy a brand of condoms I haven't heard of before. I might be adventurous but not when it comes to my condom busting - so if it's a question of 'we make the same thing as Trojan but slightly cheaper' I'm not sure that would generate the online revenue you need to cover costs.

The thing that would set the product apart is that it is the world's thinnest condom as verified by Guiness. The market samurai results above were for a term specific to that niche-- I wouldn't plan on competing in paid search for broad terms like "condom". There is also a very good .com domain available for that niche search term so I think my chances of ranking #1 for that term are decent.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Mantle posted:

The thing that would set the product apart is that it is the world's thinnest condom as verified by Guiness.

Well at least you've got your ad copy down

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mantle posted:

The thing that would set the product apart is that it is the world's thinnest condom as verified by Guiness. The market samurai results above were for a term specific to that niche-- I wouldn't plan on competing in paid search for broad terms like "condom". There is also a very good .com domain available for that niche search term so I think my chances of ranking #1 for that term are decent.

Sounds good to me. I'd buy some.

Just a question of how much you make per box sold and shipping + ad costs associated, then. Also the ability of the shipping department at the factory to handle orders for just a couple boxes that come in (I'm assuming right now they ship in bulk to retailers?). It's fine with small volume but after a bit it can bog shipping down if there isn't a good plan. You'll also need to pay for customer service at some point, for the inevitable angry unreasonable calls you'll get from individual customers.

You might already have all that :)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Sounds good to me. I'd buy some.

Just a question of how much you make per box sold and shipping + ad costs associated, then. Also the ability of the shipping department at the factory to handle orders for just a couple boxes that come in (I'm assuming right now they ship in bulk to retailers?). It's fine with small volume but after a bit it can bog shipping down if there isn't a good plan. You'll also need to pay for customer service at some point, for the inevitable angry unreasonable calls you'll get from individual customers.

You might already have all that :)

According to adwords, to compete in paid search for variants of "thin condoms" is going to be about $3.20 CPC, which I am not going to pay. What's another way I can get enough traffic to test my conversion rate before going further down this niche?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mantle posted:

According to adwords, to compete in paid search for variants of "thin condoms" is going to be about $3.20 CPC, which I am not going to pay. What's another way I can get enough traffic to test my conversion rate before going further down this niche?

I apologize for being in cat jail (trolling in games) and taking a while to get back to your questions.

The problem search terms like "thin condoms" is too top of funnel, in the marketing sense. What I mean by this is that searches like "thin condoms" or "thinnest condoms in the world" doesn't necessary indicate buying intent. What you'll find is a lot of people searching for varying reasons like winning an argument, curiosity, homework, etc. However your hope is that they are searching so they will then buy, and a few will. What you need to find is middle or bottom of funnel searches that have higher buying intent that still have decent amount of searches or at the very least, hundreds of low searched terms with high buying intent. Most campaigns are a mixed bag of both type of keywords.

However, you'll still find that search ads will probably cost around $1 - $2 per click. My suggestion is to run Google Shopping campaign which have the highest conversion rates and one of the lowest cpcs. Unlike with Amazon, Google doesn't charge a listing fee or take a percentage of the sale. So if Joe Smith in Texas clicks your ad at $0.19 and buys a pack for $18, you made a 94.7x return. The highest CPC for G Shopping I've seen were for Honda Generators, which is extremely competitive, at $0.21. The down side of G Shopping is zero ad copy and it is extremely hard to target specific search terms. But if you know your way around Merchant Center and how Google's shopping algorithm works, your products will dominate those searches.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Saw this and wondered if it would be of any use to goons!
http://www.spyfu.com/

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

However, you'll still find that search ads will probably cost around $1 - $2 per click. My suggestion is to run Google Shopping campaign which have the highest conversion rates and one of the lowest cpcs. Unlike with Amazon, Google doesn't charge a listing fee or take a percentage of the sale. So if Joe Smith in Texas clicks your ad at $0.19 and buys a pack for $18, you made a 94.7x return. The highest CPC for G Shopping I've seen were for Honda Generators, which is extremely competitive, at $0.21. The down side of G Shopping is zero ad copy and it is extremely hard to target specific search terms. But if you know your way around Merchant Center and how Google's shopping algorithm works, your products will dominate those searches.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm not very familiar with Google Shopping so I'll check it out.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thegasman2000 posted:

Saw this and wondered if it would be of any use to goons!
http://www.spyfu.com/

Spyfu is pretty good and gives some decent insights into searches, however I prefer SEMrush because it is slightly more fleshed out. However, the presentation is way better on Spyfu.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Mantle posted:

Thanks for the pointers. I'm not very familiar with Google Shopping so I'll check it out.

Thought about having him sell directly on Amazon with them doing your shipping?

Easier to break in and take over a niche market like that especially since you can get reviews quickly on it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Thought about having him sell directly on Amazon with them doing your shipping?

Easier to break in and take over a niche market like that especially since you can get reviews quickly on it.

They are already selling direct on Amazon and using Amazon fulfillment. Unfortunately it looks like they are trying to do direct retail business at the same time as selling through distributors. In effect, their strategy is to compete with their distributors. I don't think this is going to work long term but they're offering to drop ship so it's very low risk for me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mantle posted:

They are already selling direct on Amazon and using Amazon fulfillment. Unfortunately it looks like they are trying to do direct retail business at the same time as selling through distributors. In effect, their strategy is to compete with their distributors. I don't think this is going to work long term but they're offering to drop ship so it's very low risk for me.

fwiw there's a lot of big companies that do this (and yeah it is infuriating as hell and I don't really get what the point of competing with your distribution is).

I have a vendor who runs a website registered in his wife's name selling everything his distributors sell but even cheaper since of course he can give himself better pricing than he offers to others. I still make sales with his products but not as much as I used to obviously. What's kind of really annoying about it though is that he then goes 'ah, you're selling less stuff, that means you're getting bumped to a higher cost column!' and now my prices are even less competitive (unless I want to make my tiny margins on his stuff even more razor thin but at that point I'm not even making money).

It's been working for a couple years now, though, but of course I can't tell you what sales figures look like on their end so who knows if it is really worth it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 19, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I had a chat with a friend of mine that has a brick and mortar store and he said in those situations where the manufacturer completes directly in retail he just doesn't do business with them. Maybe I'll just try it out for a bit or suggest we go to an affiliate model instead.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have another niche that might be more promising than condoms:

I suppose someone could deduce the keyword I used to generate these results but I'll rely on the goodwill of goons to not snipe my idea.

There seems to be a lot of traffic for this keyword, and the competition looks to be mostly big box stores like Home Depot, Bed Bath and Lowes. Does this look more promising? Products are selling around $80-$120 per sale which seems to be a better price point than a box of condoms.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 20, 2015

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

Mantle posted:

I'll rely on the goodwill of goons to not snipe my idea.

Don't do this. Even if goons weren't going to (there's very likely someone who will), you should know that sometimes non-goons can read, too.

Back when erotica thread was thing, there were people who were getting negative reviews and ripoffs of the successful stories mentioned in the thread. And there are certainly other - more tightly-knit - forums where jumping in on niches other people posted in confidence is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

fruit loop posted:

Don't do this. Even if goons weren't going to (there's very likely someone who will), you should know that sometimes non-goons can read, too.

Back when erotica thread was thing, there were people who were getting negative reviews and ripoffs of the successful stories mentioned in the thread. And there are certainly other - more tightly-knit - forums where jumping in on niches other people posted in confidence is a thing.

Do spoiler tags work against non-goon infiltration?

• Locked thread