Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How long has your average MP game gone on for vaguely? I'm used to 4x MP games taking forever to play a single game of, but being Real Time I would think might help the length of it potentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine it would depend entirely on what map type you play on and how big you make it. You can certainly go for the knife fight in a cupboard if you want to.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Next episode of Grey Hunter's LP is now available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYIO2z0910

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Firgof posted:

Next episode of Grey Hunter's LP is now available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYIO2z0910

You are forever beating me...;..

Next time, I try again, this time, I try to not get my rear end handed to me by the AI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

You are forever beating me...;..

Next time, I try again, this time, I try to not get my rear end handed to me by the AI.

My general advice if you're playing any of the conventional species is to go out of your way to get name planet, enhance, and cultivation cards.

If you build hydrogenators, and terraform planets to T1, you can put two cultivation cards and an enhanced 3* name card on a planet, and it will use its own level 1 resource to upgrade into a level 2 world with about 13 population. This is super handy for giving you a self-sufficient core of money generating worlds. You can then put refineries on them to get more of their resource type too, if you want to. You can do this on any world which is the other useful thing, it can turn otherwise useless worlds into useful ones.

Bypassing the linking mechanic is really helpful for building more concentrated empires which are easier to defend and less prone to falling apart if you lose a key world. You still need links for high level worlds, and to make use of the really good scaling resources, but just building up a bunch of these money worlds in your core systems is really useful.

Even if you don't use that exact method, naming worlds with level 3 cards is basically free income, because they get a big boost to population from it, and cultivation cards make it much easier to level up any planet. Winning wars is largely an economic thing in SR2 so being able to out-produce your enemy is very helpful.

Also, build up a couple of worlds with some factories and/or production resources, and build warehouses on them. That will let you stockpile a bunch of labor and let you churn out ships very fast when you need them. Even low-production worlds can be helpful here because you will find you end up with a stockpile of labor on them every now and then because you haven't used them in a while. Warehouses make managing your production capability much easier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 8, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well, played through the tutorial, went to start up a new game. Got through all the selections, crashed when I tried to start. If it helps you at all, this is what the windows error report thing spat out at me. I was able to restart, do the exact same setup, and it started fine. So no idea.

code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	Star Ruler 2.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	5525f489
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_1b42
  Fault Module Version:	6.3.9600.17668
  Fault Module Timestamp:	54c850f5
  Exception Code:	c0000374
  Exception Offset:	PCH_72_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009133A
  OS Version:	6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	1b42
  Additional Information 2:	1b42568be8362b48dbc5c12cf6d52750
  Additional Information 3:	e552
  Additional Information 4:	e552fe2dcff6ab3195cac447b1eba027
Edit: Do special funds stick around until you spend them, or do they just last through the budget cycle?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Special funds stick around until you spend them. Think of them like money set aside for special government projects that isn't affected by the budget because it has already been set aside.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Quill18 has his ways with the game in his Let's Try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49-b3DEKDE

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Firgof posted:

Quill18 has his ways with the game in his Let's Try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49-b3DEKDE

I saw that, and I'm sold. Only other game that really does different transport types right is Sword of the Stars, but it looks like you guys do it much better. Also the UI is wonderful and the import/export system is great. Next month's paycheck cannot come sooner.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Scratch that potential polygon interview/look/piece. They've decided they don't have time to report on it.

Help us, The Escapist and SomethingAwful, you're our only hope (for coverage by any popular media source)!

(If you want the game to get coverage on your favorite news-source you're gonna have to petition them to do a piece on the game. I've probably already sent a key to whoever you're thinking about if they're an entity like IGN. Over 50 keys have already been sent out to a whole mess of sites weeks-to-months ago but nobody's talking back. Pretty much everybody's jumping on Pillars and Bloodborne (because they're great and big deals), Starships for the controversy and SD2 for uh... also the controversy. That doesn't leave much room for us without demand from their readerships.)

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 10, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You must be doing something right because your game keeps popping up on my Steam all the time in the "you just closed a game" advertisement.

Or maybe Steam just knows I like space ships.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This game rules. I attack other empires by literally launching massive armed space stations into them with Mass Effect relays, then follow up by launching a supply depot next to it so it can act as a beach head.

Im not sure if I can even get enough FTL capacity to launch a planet, but by space-god Im going to try.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 10, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

This game rules. I attack other empires by literally launching massive armed space stations into them with Mass Effect relays, then follow up by launching a supply depot next to it so it can act as a beach head.

Im not sure if I can even get enough FTL capacity to launch a planet, but by space-god Im going to try.

Wait, you can do that with fling beacons? Launch stations? Jesus christ, I never even thought of that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Conot posted:

Wait, you can do that with fling beacons? Launch stations? Jesus christ, I never even thought of that.

Yeah, i was demoslishing a no longer needed supply depot, then saw that FLING button, paused for a few seconds while it registered then just laughed manically.

You can fling whole planets too, but im not even sure how to get the capacity that high using practical methods.

You cant fling other beacons though, so you still need to stash away orbital frames for that.

edit: Everyone needs to try this atlease once, nothing says "no, gently caress YOU" like dropping a size 300 battle station that's covered in neutronium armor behind their already engaged fleet.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 10, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What happened with Tom Chick? Did he ever do a review? Outofeight.info just posted his the other day. Have you tried Total Biscuit?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I actually sent an e-mail to rock paper shotgun, but got no response. I really feel bad for you guys; this is one of the best 4x games (though sadly "best 4x game" isn't a title with as much glory as it once had) I've seen in years, and almost every response I see is outstandingly positive (also, 79% positive steam reviews), but it's not getting much press anywhere, and there's only so much word of mouth and Firgof's tireless efforts can do.

I was a bit cautious about suggesting Totalbiscuit because of his involvement in other controversial stuff, but he might be a good choice. He's done good coverage of strategy games before.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Conot posted:

You can also move planets through gates, and they'll move everything in orbit around them with them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bremen posted:

I actually sent an e-mail to rock paper shotgun, but got no response. I really feel bad for you guys; this is one of the best 4x games (though sadly "best 4x game" isn't a title with as much glory as it once had) I've seen in years, and almost every response I see is outstandingly positive (also, 79% positive steam reviews), but it's not getting much press anywhere, and there's only so much word of mouth and Firgof's tireless efforts can do.

I was a bit cautious about suggesting Totalbiscuit because of his involvement in other controversial stuff, but he might be a good choice. He's done good coverage of strategy games before.

He has over a million followers, controversy or not :) which is why I suggested him. He did Last Federation which is about as obscure as it gets.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

What happened with Tom Chick? Did he ever do a review? Outofeight.info just posted his the other day. Have you tried Total Biscuit?

Tried, yes. Got his PR person and they said they'd check it out but I haven't heard anything since.

Nothing yet from Mr. Chick.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I'm on the rocks about this one, I did try out the first one, but I never got too far/did anything of meaning as it just did not click for me, was hoping to see more reviews/look ats from people, but it really seems you guys really are just getting the ugly stick

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I'm on the rocks about this one, I did try out the first one, but I never got too far/did anything of meaning as it just did not click for me, was hoping to see more reviews/look ats from people, but it really seems you guys really are just getting the ugly stick

It's certainly worthy of review. I like it, not everyone will but it's not like some kind of half baked quick money grab, there's been a lot of care put into this game. It's too bad they can't get more coverage.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
I think some of the wiki being so outdated might be hurting getting some buzz as well as creates a bit more confusion with folks than there needs to be.

Also, how hard is it getting Steam to do a free weekend or something to build some interest?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Firgof posted:

Scratch that potential polygon interview/look/piece. They've decided they don't have time to report on it.

Help us, The Escapist and SomethingAwful, you're our only hope (for coverage by any popular media source)!

Have you contacted Jade Star? If he's being rude that is probably a good sign.

Might be irrelevant, but the OP mentions the steam store page yet doesn't include a link to it?

Are museums on 3x3 ice supposed to cost only labor? Mono players rejoice.

Star Children... okay so 'protect system' means an enemy fleet can't destroy all my habitats, right? Nope! Skipdrive-selfdestruct is extremely inefficient but hilarious and unstoppable.

...how long has it been possible to drag/drop planets in basically any screen, to set/change exports?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

silentsnack posted:

Have you contacted Jade Star? If he's being rude that is probably a good sign.
...how long has it been possible to drag/drop planets in basically any screen, to set/change exports?

Haven't, no.

quote:

Might be irrelevant, but the OP mentions the steam store page yet doesn't include a link to it?
Oops. I'll get that fixed.

quote:

Star Children... okay so 'protect system' means an enemy fleet can't destroy all my habitats, right? Nope! Skipdrive-selfdestruct is extremely inefficient but hilarious and unstoppable.
Yeah it doesn't protect systems whose colonies are exposed to military fire. Protects the planets from being sieged, not the orbitals from being destroyed.

quote:

Several months now.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finally got a chance to sit down for an hour to play this, checked out the tutorial and interface in general so far. Feels very slick! Interested to get into the meat of the gameplay, but I like where things are going. The last Space 4x I put any significant time into was Distant Worlds, and god do I not miss the interface from that.

Couple of notes for you Firgof:

- While in the Research Screen, you pan around with LMB but can't pan around with MMB. Which is the opposite of the galaxy map. Why not at least be able to pan around with MMB on the research screen as well?

- When in the planet view, it's cool that you can see all planets that are being imported into the currently selected one, but why can't you see where your planet is exporting to? The main reason this bothers me is if you are at one planet, click to switch to one of it's "children", you can't easily click back to the parent. Or I might be totally missing something, in which case please tell me! I mean, I wouldn't mind being able to just see the whole planet tree right there like you can in the Planets tab anyway personally, though I get there's probably not room for that.

- If you remap the "Go" search function to another key, like say 'F', it will bring up the Go search and then immediately type that key into the search bar when you press it. So every time I try to bring up the search I have an 'f' in there by default.

- Is it possible to see the current game speed on tabs other than the Galaxy map? I feel nervous not being able to see it (and the paused/unpaused state as well). I feel like it should be a permanent fixture on the screen regardless of what you're looking at, much like it is in Paradox games.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why does my capital have 0 labor? It had labor at one point...

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Someone send help, I'm gone full :awesomelon:. I just love it that I can terraform all the food and water planets into something productive. The Unobtainum in your homeworld is really cool too, as soon as you find a lvl 3 resource you can just beeline there with 1 pop planets, xerox that sucker and just move the population back. The most ridiculous homeworld I've had yet had its Unobtainum tranformed into that +50% labor one and then I imported the resource that doubles your base pressure capacity. Then came all the titanium. Over 250+ labor on that planet :toot:.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What controversy is there surrounding SD2 other than Zero had a huge bitchfit on Something Awful because he didn't like people critiquing his darling StarDrive?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What controversy is there surrounding SD2 other than Zero had a huge bitchfit on Something Awful because he didn't like people critiquing his darling StarDrive?

Basically he promised a bunch of poo poo for SD1 that he never delivered on. Also he's just somewhat of an rear end....you know those people who are always yakking even though they shouldn't? That's him. Reminds me of the lead guy for Sword of the Stars, says way more than he ever needs to.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh yeah I forgot all about him promising poo poo for SD1. I tested that game too.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Anyone got some tips for ship building? The sheer amount of stuff scares me.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 11, 2015

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Sedisp posted:

Anyone got some tips for ship building? The sheer amount of stuff scares me.

As long as you're not playing the Oko (or more accurately, the 'Verdant' race), just load up the ship design screen, choose 'support' or 'flagship' and a size you want, and hit 'generate random design' (icon looks kind of like a color wheel) until you find one that you like.

The limited internal space means pretty much any ship you make is going to be a tradeoff of:
speed
tankiness
damage
amount of supply
amount of support ships

Alternately, while in game, go to the 'Community' tab and look at some of the player made designs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
This game is great. Probably the best space 4X I've played in ages(I gotta give best 4X to Endless Legend, sorry Firgof). The flow of the game, the ship designer and the base mechanics are all great. The tech tree is a bit of a mess and the controls/UI could be a bit more streamlined, but other than those niggling issues I'm super happy with the game. It helps that everything works. It doesn't feel like a beta at all, which is super surprising, compared to all the other space 4X's to come out recently.

Shame that nobody wants to give you any publicity, figured this game would be right up RPS' alley.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Promised a challanging AI and multiplayer, two things that you'd expect in a 4x to actually play a game that's fun. He didn't ever finish either of these things to the point that it's basically possible to win by building nothing but default scouts all game and calling it a day. Dude's an asshat.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Firgof posted:

Yep. That's because the AI doesn't get any advantages or special considerations on not-Savage difficulty. It has to scout, think about its resources, order exports/imports, build buildings, et cetera. We wanted it to be for all intents and purposes playing the exact same game the player was.

Holy poo poo, requoting this so any other fence sitters like me can see it.

Game sounds aces, one question to the vets: how different are the races from each other? That's a huge selling point for me in these games.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Helion posted:

Game sounds aces, one question to the vets: how different are the races from each other? That's a huge selling point for me in these games.

It depends on which race you're comparing to. Two of the races are widely different, the rest are sort of similar with their own special thing. The effects are generally only a line of text or so, but they greatly change how you approach the game. The Mono play out so weirdly if you've gotten used to the regular resource shuffle and ship design as a Verdant gives much the same feeling.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In Quill18's Lets Try he says the game gets a little bit samey fairly quickly. Is that correct?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Reason posted:

In Quill18's Lets Try he says the game gets a little bit samey fairly quickly. Is that correct?

I haven't found that at all really. But I'm playing on multi-galaxy maps against 10 to 12 races with a crapton of stars. The political intrigue alone keeps me on my toes for a long time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Helion posted:

There's the basic race, and a few races which have playstyle differences compared to the basic race; one race has to build mainframe stations, for instance, and their ships fight better the closer they are to a mainframe station. Another has to build altars on planets to sacrifice resources to get bonuses. I haven't actually played with either, to be fair, but they sound like they play mostly the same but have different styles.

Then there are three races with fairly notable changes. Verdant type races have a completely different way of designing ships, building organic vessels with the unique "Sinew" system as a key element. The Mono don't need food or water (basically turning the normal colonization system on its head) and can teleport population from planet to planet, but have to build pop instead of it growing on its own. The Nylli use giant motherships with population and construction capability, and can never build structures on a planet, sidestepping the normal resource method of pressure, but still need food and water. You basically end up with a bunch of huge ships flying around your empire creating habitats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Reason posted:

Once you get a grasp on the game you really need to play on multiple galaxy maps to get the most out of it. It feels like you're just one part of a huge cosmos with all that poo poo going on.

• Locked thread