Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

i just had a player miss 10 days because of a snake bite he received "in practice"

if this is real, it will be what finally pushes me to buy the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Aye Doc posted:

if this is real, it will be what finally pushes me to buy the game

my first game i angrily waived dorsett and sbisa, fired willie desjardins and all the scouting staff, traded all my picks for nothing and retired the next day

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ThinkTank posted:

Are you sure it wasn't a skate bite?

However, I think releasing cobras onto the ice surface would be a good motivating tactic for some more undisciplined players. Kessel, I'm looking at you.

almost positive it was snake bite because i have seen the skate bite message a ton of times between 2005/2007/EA before too and i actually noticed this one being different

but maybe it was just wishful thinking? wish i had taken a screen shot now

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
We've released the 15.2.0b update for EHM: Early Access on Steam.

Please use the Wishlist thread for any new feature ideas you have for EHM.

If you have any bugs with 15.2.0b, please post them on the bugs forum.

This update is compatible with existing save games. However, some fixes and changes will require you to start a new game

See below changelist for more details:

Changelist for 15.2.0b
======================

New features:
-------------
- Swiss Leagues 1 and 2 made playable
- German League made playable
- Finnish League 3 made playable
- Added option to use a borderless 1024x768 window in game preferences

Database Import changes for 2014 rules:
[apply to new games started with newly imported databases only]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Adjusted national tv deals in various nations
- World championships format updated
- Fixed Russian league playoff brackets
- Updated shootout rules in various leagues
- Fixed Swedish league playoff home/away games order

Database Import changes for 2006 rules:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gameplay changes:
-----------------
- Improved AI trade evaluations, fixed harsh roster related trade evaluations
- Improved financial assessments of trades
- Improved player/agent wage demands in relation to team budgets and status offered
- Improved player contract evaluations to put more weight on wages on offer
- Improved reputation settings for human managers based on past experience selected
- When human manager moves teams, old team league is removed from boxscores to show list
- Adjusted club expected rankings and ranking updates during the season
- Fixed high board expectation levels for teams expected to be at the bottom of the league
- Fixed board wage allowance for entry-level contracts to allow teams to sign prospects better
- Adjusted general club finances with regards to sponsorship levels (other income) and merchandising
- Fixed season ticket sales processing
- Some award scoring adjustments
- Fixed teams losing rights to qualified restricted free agents after contract expiry
- Improved AI when trimming roster for salary cap purposes
- Fixed the latest draft lottery model and added recap of the first round picks in the news item
- Fixed creation of junior/college preference for new players at the start of a new game (applies to new games only)
- Fixed initial bonus points doubling up in one Swedish league stage
- Improved league news items for promotion/relegation/qualification to next round
- Small improvements for various news item texts
- Improved chances for owners to inject money into their clubs when in financial trouble

UI changes:
-----------
- Player comparison screen lists attributes the same way as in player profile
- Added tooltips to the trade interest stars in trade screens
- If a player is willing to waive his no-trade clause, this is indicated in the trade interest label and tooltip
- Re-arranged select leagues screen to accommodate more leagues

Other changes:
--------------
- Fixed rare crash when trying to continue after re-loading a saved game on season update day
- Fixed rare crash with All-Star game when a participating player had suddenly retired
- Fixed crash when clicking on an empty "Compare Players" menu
- Fixed error on comparing all-star team player and team stats
- Fixed error with setting up player data for games with databases that had invalid player position settings

In-Game Engine v68
==================
- Fixes to overtime penalty processing
- Adjustments to penalty reasons
- Adjustments to calling penalties
- Small adjustments to player decision making

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
that is a good patch

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

that is a good patch

Too bad it broke the game

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
what a deal!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

according to someone: "Reset your preferences, it will work"

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ThinkTank posted:

Too bad it broke the game

Just a display error luckily. There is a way to fix it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

something is very wrong with the way this game calculates ratings after all the good players leave the league

yes this is an all-star defenceman with 2 points in 303 games

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah the game seriously overrates shutdown defencemen. Jared Tinordi consistently puts up a 7.7+ rating per season and has about 4 points. I had a guy put up a 9.95 rating over an entire year in the AHL and I think he put up 15 points. Every year 2 or 3 defencemen will have a 10.0 rating for an entire season in the CHL. It's stupid.

Also the existing players have way too high a reputation. I'm in 2024 and not one player created by the game appears in the annual 'top players by position list.' Everyone on it is 33+ plus aside from McDavid and a couple players draft eligible in 2016. Prospects develop way too erratically.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah some people were simming until all real players were dead and found that game-genned players basically never spawn with good mental stats (i guess they're completely random) so they're never competitive

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

signing players to contracts later on gets super loving tedious. no player ever wants more than two years, they always want a raise no matter what their situation is, and they never want to negotiate until free agency, so every year on july 1 half of the superstars hit free agency and the other half are going the the next year

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
are you the Devils?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

no, canucks

i think its more like, players refuse to ask for what they're worth so invariably they "arent interested in negotiating" and then they hit free agency and ask for 12m or whatever but nobody's board will let them spend that much money so they just languish, dropping their demands by 500k every month until they're signed next february. carey price was un-signed for three years in the middle of his prime in my game because of this

also i finally got around to playing the tactical game and uh.... why is it so easy? is it a little more enjoyable if your team isn't full of quality players or something? max domi has 78 points in 24 games right now

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Eastside Hockey Manager version 15.3.0b is now available to download on Steam.

To download the update, simply save your current game, quit EHM, then quit and restart Steam. Then launch the game as normal and this should start your update automatically.

If you have any technical issues or bugs following the update, raise them here (EHM:EA Bugs Forum[community.sigames.com]).

This is an exciting update, as it includes an expanded World Championship competition. This new feature means you can now win promotion/get relegated across 6 divisions, meaning you now have the opportunity of taking a minnow to glory!

The tournaments now included are:

- World Championships
- Division 1A
- Division 1B
- Division 2A
- Division 2B
- Division 3

The update includes fixes for the following issues:

Changelist for 15.3.0b
======================

New features:
-------------
- Expanded modelling of the world championships with a total of 6 different tournaments
- New European challenge tournament with 6 sub-tournaments of 4 senior national teams
- Added 3 other smaller annual international tournaments for senior national teams
- Added streaks into team stats

Database Import changes for 2014 rules:
- Updated/new international tournament structures (see above)
- Fixed German league roster limit to 32

Database Import changes for 2006 rules:

Gameplay changes:
-----------------
- Adjustments to the quick sim engine statistics
- Fixed standings tie-breakers for regulation and overtime wins sort rule
- Fixed most team points record processing to include all initial divisions/conferences
- Adjusted effect of recent form on manager confidence checks
- Fixed exhibition games not being setup after initial seasons
- Adjustments to low level semi-pro player wage demands
- Adjustments to player attribute progression
- Adjustments to new-gen attribute creation, especially mental attributes
- Fixed imminent future transfers being cancelled when player's contract runs out just before the agreed transfer
- Fixed initial referee distribution to leagues within a nation (applies to new games only)
- Fixed human club head coach getting fired under certain circumstances without manager initiating the firing
- Adjusted trade AI when evaluating untouchable players/prospects
- Adjusted trade AI when evaluating players recently drafted
- Adjusted trade AI overall evaluations

UI changes:
-----------
- Fixed coloring of "More Actions" button on tactics screen during games
- Fixed national team displayed in player stats for international tournaments when player has dual nationalities
- Added support for team logos/flags in standings, team stats and player stats sections in the league screens
- Adjusted contract demand strings for multi-year part-time contracts in contract offer screen
- Added links to team reports for both teams on the trade screen
- Added overall turn information on draft picks in trade screen

Other changes:
--------------
- When exiting the game without having saved recently, saving the game is now optional
- Fixed currency setting not defaulting to correct value when loading up last saved game after update
- Fixed invalid club pointer error message when clicking on menu headers in 2D options menu
- Fixed changing display option from preferences to borderless window not working after going full screen
- Fixed rare crash on home screen when unemployed and viewing available jobs panel
- Fixed female name flags on new databases
- Fixed crash on referee stats page with certain leagues

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I want to play NCAA god dammit, that's all I pray for, so I can nurture my little buddies into NHL stars as they play for a lovely MIAC team a STRONG MIAC TEAM

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ncaa probably has a weird ruleset they dont want to implement

like free agency for NCAA is probably impossible right now

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Verviticus posted:

ncaa probably has a weird ruleset they dont want to implement

like free agency for NCAA is probably impossible right now

I'm aware, it's just that I've been craving an NCAA hockey thing all my life, and well, :quig:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

tell them to not have such absurd recruiting bullshit

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

tell them to not have such absurd recruiting bullshit

We can do it together

Seriously though, I'm slowly dismantling my NHL team to be all NCAA players from MIAC and WIAC schools

Okay Ben Johnson, forward for St. Scholastica, make your parents proud!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

with the right tactics you could probably make them a playoff team

coaches in this game are insanely stupid and do the worst things

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

with the right tactics you could probably make them a playoff team

coaches in this game are insanely stupid and do the worst things

Update, my captain is from Edina HS in Minnesota, and is 18 years old

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Update, my captain is from Edina HS in Minnesota, and is 18 years old

is it garret wait or keifer bellows? -12 Potential will be between 40-100

somewhere between a 12 year old and an ahl 4th liner

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think the trade ai is a bit off in this

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 17, 2015

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Two mediocre players and a 2nd for a first isn't all that crazy

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

especially since the ducks tend to be a good team early on and the penguins average

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

There was a Penguins-Ducks trade in real life this season that was worse than that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What I didn't post is I made that trade at the 2015 draft. I was the Presidents trophy winner and that Duck's pick was the 13th overall.

But yeah it's not the worst trade ever I guess especially considering the Scuderi in that game is probably much better than the actual Scuderi.

e: :lol: I won the President's Trophy in my first season as the Pens and then lost some guys to FA and tried to go with a bit of a youth movement. It backfired horrendously and I was in last halfway through the season and got fired by Lemieux.

It's me. I'm the GM worse than Rutherford.

Of course, I let the coach do the lines and he does them moronically. Sid/Malkin are always playing together.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 21, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, let's say I want to do my BAP with this in the future. I downloaded their utility. How do I create and edit players?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Just picked this up for sale on steam for :10bux:. Is there a decent guide anywhere to walk you through like the first year? Like I had a bunch of random dudes invited to my tryout and apparently I should have called up all my prospects. Things like where to send my scouts aren't very clear.

Also, is there anywhere to see like an overall rating? Or what should I be looking for other than, "hrmm, lotta green, seems good."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

gman14msu posted:

Just picked this up for sale on steam for :10bux:. Is there a decent guide anywhere to walk you through like the first year? Like I had a bunch of random dudes invited to my tryout and apparently I should have called up all my prospects. Things like where to send my scouts aren't very clear.

Also, is there anywhere to see like an overall rating? Or what should I be looking for other than, "hrmm, lotta green, seems good."

Playing around is your best bet for learning the game, you'll get a hang of it eventually. You should invite your prospects to training camp, they can be found under 'unsigned players' on the team page (I think... I kinda know where to click instinctively at this point). Unfortunately you have to remember to turn off open camp because no NHL team on earth will have that, yet it's the default for some reason.

Players have a 'reputation' (OK, average, good, v. good, etc.) that can be found in their details section. It's also on your team page. Lots of green stats is a good way to go though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

My first foray was like "poo poo I'm in too deep" but if you know a thing or two about hockey it becomes a bit more intuitive with time. The harder thing is trying to figure out what the AI is going to do.

I can't wait to do some multiplayer sims though. However I wouldn't wanna do a full 82 game season unless everyone committed to doing 2-3 games a week. That said can you adjust season lengths and such?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Do you guys actually coach the games? I used to in the old one but I don't have the patience any more, plus I think it's more challenging to let the AI coach for me since the other AI also has to deal with that penalty.

The annoying thing about that though is the AI always plays Malkin on wing which is retarded.

Also goalies are way too overpowered in this game - as they have been in every version of EHM ever. A superstar goalie in this is absurdly valuable. Like in this game having Lundqvist or Quick is undoubtedly more useful than having Crosby, and I don't think that would ever be true in real hockey.

They need to fix the prospects too. Mcdavid doesn't even put up a PPG in his first season in junior with that roster that was released, and it's next to impossible for any first year drafted prospect to be good enough to be a good NHLer, which is unrealistic since in real hockey there's always a few high picks per draft that go right into the NHL and immediately do well. You'd never see that in EHM though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
So this game is a flash sale on Steam currently. Reading your guy's posts the game doesn't seem very good.

However, I enjoy Be a GM mode in the console NHL titles with all it's janky-ness and the stupid AI except for the really long load times and slow menus. Considering my already really low standards is it worth the $12?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Zettace posted:

So this game is a flash sale on Steam currently. Reading your guy's posts the game doesn't seem very good.

However, I enjoy Be a GM mode in the console NHL titles with all it's janky-ness and the stupid AI except for the really long load times and slow menus. Considering my already really low standards is it worth the $12?

I was playing the 2007 version up until a week ago and bought this when it went on sale and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think it's definitely worth $12. For me, the fact that windowed mode works properly is worth the $12 alone. Really though, from my time with the new version it's basically just a slightly more polished EHM 2007 (which isn't a bad thing because 2007 was a great game).

I had initially decided to wait until they released a full version because SI usually puts out some buggy games before a couple of patches and I thought it would be even worse during early access, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the lack of bugs I've encountered so far.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zettace posted:

We're moaning because we love it so and the upgrade from 2007 to now isn't substantial (or really anything at all). If you've never played the series before, it's a steal for $12.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i want my spreadsheet hockey manager to be like my spreadsheet football manager

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

i want my spreadsheet hockey manager to be like my spreadsheet football manager

That's largely my issue. FM has come so far in recent years that EHM:EA feels dated at this point. The visual style, the menus and the overall feel of the game feel very last decade and that was a disappointment. I've admittedly not played it a great deal lately because life has gotten in the way (although I'm sure I'll pick it up again soon), but it felt like the magic was gone in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

So about the 'supposed' surprising lack of bugs I was talking about :

• Locked thread