Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think it was less to protect Bell in particular and more to stop a whole bunch of people from killing each other for absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Divine Power rule is kind of hazy.

Freya can use her "innate ability" of Charm to dazzle any living creature, but this isn't considered part of the Divine Power. Similarly, what Hestia did wasn't to use her Divine Power, but rather just unleash her Divine Aura, or whatever you want to call it, which pretty much drops humans to their knees in a god's presence. Both Hermes and Hestia had turned it off when they entered the Dungeon, because they wanted to hide from it. When she enabled it again (to stop the fight), the Dungeon discovered her, and poo poo Happens.

The rule against gods entering the Dungeon is more to stop the Dungeon from going berserk than anything else, and doesn't seemingly connect to whatever godly pact makes them beam back to Heaven. Unless they die, anyway, because that automatically triggers Divine Power and they go back up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

Freya can use her "innate ability" of Charm to dazzle any living creature, but this isn't considered part of the Divine Power. Similarly, what Hestia did wasn't to use her Divine Power, but rather just unleash her Divine Aura, or whatever you want to call it, which pretty much drops humans to their knees in a god's presence. Both Hermes and Hestia had turned it off when they entered the Dungeon, because they wanted to hide from it. When she enabled it again (to stop the fight), the Dungeon discovered her, and poo poo Happens.

The rule against gods entering the Dungeon is more to stop the Dungeon from going berserk than anything else, and doesn't seemingly connect to whatever godly pact makes them beam back to Heaven. Unless they die, anyway, because that automatically triggers Divine Power and they go back up.

What? That's even worse than simply risking being banished back to heaven. Hestia unthinkingly brought disaster down on everyone, for no good reason.

As for innate abilities, is Hestia particularly skilled with keeping fires lit or something?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

What? That's even worse than simply risking being banished back to heaven. Hestia unthinkingly brought disaster down on everyone, for no good reason.

As for innate abilities, is Hestia particularly skilled with keeping fires lit or something?

Dunno. I don't think it's been revealed. Hephy is really good at smithing, Soma makes amazing booze, etc, no powers involved.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

darkgray posted:

So basically what I read from this is that the Dungeon all of a sudden went "Oh hey there's a level 80 character down here I didn't notice before let's drop an appropriate mob boss for them" and now all the adventurers probably have to fight something way above their pay grade.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Was I supposed to laugh at the end of the episode? The internet has ruined skeletons for me.

Hopefully Bell will fire another Death-Star-Laser at this thing destroying it instantly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If the dungeon freaking out is Hestia's fault it's absolutely hilarious because she didn't really have to intervene in that way at all.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

It's almost like she was reacting angrily to someone she cares about being threatened, beep boop what is hu-mon emotion.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mythological gods, especially those from the Greek pantheon, are also well known for their reasonable and rational reactions to things.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

While her reaction is understandable, one wonders why she didn't do it when she was kidnapped and put in mortal danger to forestall the entire problem in the first place.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Kanos posted:

While her reaction is understandable, one wonders why she didn't do it when she was kidnapped and put in mortal danger to forestall the entire problem in the first place.

She is a god and with that comes the assumption that she should be able to get herself out of the situation before it gets that dire. But this entire plotline is based around how overprotective of Bell she is so it isnt exactly surprising that she would jump to that response, especially after working her way down to level 18 just to find him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The fact that, knowing the dungeon itself would get mad, she didn't power-up when they kidnapped her for the express purpose of loving Bell up, and but then didn't take 10 seconds to evaluate the situation and determine if Bell was beating the poo poo out of his opponent was kind of....yeah.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't know why it's so weird that Hestia did something stupid and impulsive due to her feelings for Bell, that's basically her character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

darkgray posted:

Dunno. I don't think it's been revealed. Hephy is really good at smithing, Soma makes amazing booze, etc, no powers involved.

I think Gods just naturally have extremely awesome Skill stats. Let's put it this way, as an analogy, as written, if you took any of the Gods from the 3.5e Epic Level Handbook (Or the relevant Divine stat book) and took away all of their Spell Like Abilities, Supernatural Abilities, Divine abilities, and Spell lists; they would still have their stats, CR appropriate skill point allotment, and the Divine Rank bonus to those skills; What do you get? Tiamat, a Chaotic Evil God able to simply straight up bluff alignment detection spells to make her come across as Lawful Good.

So you easily can have someone like Hephastus who can still craft epic level items without magic/divine assistance because their passives are so drat high.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They're also immortal so you would think they would have tons of practice in their craft.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
You make good points Kanos, but the heart wants what it wants. And this heart wants Bell to basically be Batman.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

NowonSA posted:

You make good points Kanos, but the heart wants what it wants. And this heart wants Bell to basically be Batman.

Well, I guess she does recognize that he wants to be a storybook hero.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think Gods just naturally have extremely awesome Skill stats. Let's put it this way, as an analogy, as written, if you took any of the Gods from the 3.5e Epic Level Handbook (Or the relevant Divine stat book) and took away all of their Spell Like Abilities, Supernatural Abilities, Divine abilities, and Spell lists; they would still have their stats, CR appropriate skill point allotment, and the Divine Rank bonus to those skills; What do you get? Tiamat, a Chaotic Evil God able to simply straight up bluff alignment detection spells to make her come across as Lawful Good.

Lol

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Raenir Salazar posted:

So you easily can have someone like Hephastus who can still craft epic level items without magic/divine assistance because their passives are so drat high.

Please continue, we need to go deeper into this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

dogsicle posted:

I don't know why it's so weird that Hestia did something stupid and impulsive due to her feelings for Bell, that's basically her character.

You're just saying that because at pretty much any time she could have told Bell that she's DTF, which would solved a very large number of her problems. Particularly if she had done this well before Episode 1 when he found some other girl. Its not like this was ambiguous even in flashbacks to stuff well before Episode 1, she's just a big fucken wuss for no real reason despite being a literal deity.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

You're just saying that because at pretty much any time she could have told Bell that she's DTF, which would solved a very large number of her problems. Particularly if she had done this well before Episode 1 when he found some other girl. Its not like this was ambiguous even in flashbacks to stuff well before Episode 1, she's just a big fucken wuss for no real reason despite being a literal deity.

Bell is obviously an even bigger wuss.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The fans' pure waifu ain't supposed to be that forward, see. She is literally being as assertive in her need for MC schlong as the genre allows her to be.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think the answer to all your posts are "the characters are all retards that are entirely incapable of acting in a rational manner".

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

I think the answer to all your posts are "the characters are all retards that are entirely incapable of acting in a rational manner".

Whats the reason for anime/manga doing this anyways? Does the fanbase enjoy retarded characters or is it the writer that lacks story-writing skills beyond sixth grade?

Edit: I'm sorry, DSM-V calls these people as having a "Intellectual Disability" now. The disability of being retarded.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 24, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think the characters are funny and cute, and the dumb poo poo they do makes me roll my eyes at worst. I also didn't hate the characters in Parasyte, so obviously I have a problem.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

dogsicle posted:

I think the characters are funny and cute, and the dumb poo poo they do makes me roll my eyes at worst. I also didn't hate the characters in Parasyte, so obviously I have a problem.

Agreed. :v:

Also I love how people demand that all characters act like logical robots, in reality people are pretty damned irrational and do dumb stuff all the time including the people blathering on about how dumb the characters are. :lol:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The fans' pure waifu ain't supposed to be that forward, see. She is literally being as assertive in her need for MC schlong as the genre allows her to be.

Her tits are hanging out

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Her tits are hanging out

:eyepop:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

You're talking about the same person who didn't trust Bell not to run face first into The Dungeon if she told him about his Gain passive (not that he didn't do that anyway). Her being courageous is well out of the question.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Her tits are hanging out

This is anime. That has no bearing on anything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

You're talking about the same person who didn't trust Bell not to run face first into The Dungeon if she told him about his Gain passive (not that he didn't do that anyway). Her being courageous is well out of the question.

I think she was also worried that if he knew what was causing his super stat growth(his desire to get stronger to catch up with Aiz) then that might ironically weaken or disable the skill altogether because he might stop trying so hard and might start trying to use the skill as a crutch. She's said the power of the skill is directly tied to the strength of his feelings in that regard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kanos posted:

I think she was also worried that if he knew what was causing his super stat growth(his desire to get stronger to catch up with Aiz) then that might ironically weaken or disable the skill altogether because he might stop trying so hard and might start trying to use the skill as a crutch. She's said the power of the skill is directly tied to the strength of his feelings in that regard.

I think this actually makes *sense* but there has been nothing to suggest Hestia is smart enough to understand any of this. It took her an entire episode to give Bell a loving knife she specially obtained for him to defend himself in a situation where he needed to defend himself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I pretty much see Hestia as a smothering maternal figure whose sense is about equivalent to how many cents she has.

Like, she bought perfume in a dungeon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

You're asking a lot from a girl who's literally hundreds of millions of years old and just recently established her first "relationship" with a mortal human (aged 14, none the less). Her sense of timing might be off.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Whats the reason for anime/manga doing this anyways? Does the fanbase enjoy retarded characters or is it the writer that lacks story-writing skills beyond sixth grade?

Edit: I'm sorry, DSM-V calls these people as having a "Intellectual Disability" now. The disability of being retarded.

watch good anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you shouldn't complain about bad writing as you deliberately watch up to episode 12 in a show called "Is it Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon?"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

darkgray posted:

You're asking a lot from a girl who's literally hundreds of millions of years old and just recently established her first "relationship" with a mortal human (aged 14, none the less). Her sense of timing might be off.

lmao

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

darkgray posted:

I don't think Gods understand the concept that sleeping with a 14-year old boy might be gross or wrong in the same way they don't in literally every single Pantheon ever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I think this actually makes *sense* but there has been nothing to suggest Hestia is smart enough to understand any of this. It took her an entire episode to give Bell a loving knife she specially obtained for him to defend himself in a situation where he needed to defend himself.

At least they sort of justified that in the end - it needed a complex, time-consuming programming session to work properly and actually be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hestia needs to get some tips from Zeus and turn into a duck or whatever like he always does.

• Locked thread