Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Until Jarde can set to Randgriz, we're the only ones here who can stop it.

I just learned at this moment that Jarde is pronounced "Yar-day." Whoops.

We can do this!
And we will.

*At a distance*

So, the cadets have come. Dirk!
Take the Valkyrur squad and mow them down!
...Understood.

*Back to Class G*

Avon, look! The manmade Valkyrur... They're on the move!

That's Leon!

Are you okay, Avon? Can you do this?
I'm all right, Aliasse. Thanks.
Let's get started, Avan. It'll be tough, but we can't afford to lose here. For Gallia's sake, and for your brother's.
Right. Everybody, move out!

*Aliasse thinks to herself*

Be careful...He's dangerous. I can feel it. But I'll keep you safe. Avan, Cosette, everyone...

This is apparently supposed to be a very long and complicated map, because normally you get killed very fast if Dirk sets his eyes on you.

The 2nd starting position is a long process of taking these two bases....

Capturing the back of these two bases and access that D door switch, which opens up the D door that houses the Supply Vehicle powering Dirk.

I have no idea what this map is supposed to do.

Or...you can just skip most of that and aim-stop your way to the D switch.

Rgh! Is he immortal?!
Stop this, Leon! There's no reason for you to keep fighting for them!
Rnngh...

How many of them are there?! We'll never get through this many!
Don't you recognize me? Leon, it's me! It's Avon!
Initiating attack. *Fires lance*
Waaaaaugh!
Avan, he can't hear you! That isn't your brother!
Leon, I won't let you...
Exterminate them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLWrWhpRnSk

Oh right, that invincible Valkyur that kicked their asses like 9 months ago. If they were going to pull out this crutch, they should've done it earlier.

I see she still utterly and effortlessly destroys them no problem. Making the last month or so completely useless for no reason.

Oh hey, Leon

A...van...
Leon?!

All that... I've done...Even without being... in control, I... I was still conscious. I saw...
Why'd you do it, Leon? How did it come to this?
I wanted to... keep Gallia safe. For Mom... For you. I thought who... Who'd do it, if not... me...?
Leon... You idiot...Protecting something with your life and sacrificing it are... different.
Avan...Heh... You're taller... Than I remember...You don't... need... This power... Graugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0LUkGeL-ew

basic summary:
Avan, forget me.
No.
Oh, okay. *dies*

An all-stat raiser. What is with these super late Potentials?

So yeah, Leon's dead as per usual of how this game treats death. Thrilling.

Dirk art pages

Leon art pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I just noticed that Leon has a crotch spike. Lovely.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

All of it paint by the numbers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I didn't even bother blowing up the supply vehicle, I just had two fencers play ping-pong with him. :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Using Valkyrian power is wrong! Unless you're the destined natural Valkyrian and really in trouble, then it's okay and will work out perfectly with no consequences!"

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I don't understand what happened here. I have only played the first game, but wanted to play this one, however somehow never got around to it--but kept hearing everywhere that it is awful. Somehow, after the first game, I just could not believe it. But now I've seen it and I guess they were all correct, so thank you for playing this, so quite literally I don't have to!

I think the low point is definitely the game design anecdotes which more often than not seem to focus on the chest size of various female characters.

However, the good news is that the third game, at least based on the first couple of missions from the LP, does seem to be noticeably better--so may go and play that one myself actually.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I wonder if there's gonna be any fallout from the fact that Aliasse straight up killed Avan's brother, knowing who he was, or if they're just gonna sail right past that point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

King of Bleh posted:

I wonder if there's gonna be any fallout from the fact that Aliasse straight up killed Avan's brother, knowing who he was, or if they're just gonna sail right past that point.

It had nothing to do with that tournament cup. No-one will care.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

You'll be surprised!

Glazius posted:

I have given up trying to understand the progression of the war or Lanseal's relation to any of it.

All I can say is, if Baron Crazypants gets his hands on artificial Valkyrur technology for the final battle, I'm going to need a new keyboard.

You will not be surprised....

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Then Dirk failed even as a shield. That pathetic imitation!

Wow, great boss huh. Dirk is possibly the 2nd strongest person in this war and he don't give a gently caress.

Engage the intruders! I want that squad dead!
Sir! *leaves*
Perhaps it will see use before the day is out. Not the grandest of stages for its first unveiling... But no matter.

Not exactly a secret, he's been bragging about becoming a true Valkyur powers since like forever. Let's hope his death isn't as dumb as Maximillian's.

*Meanwhile*

We're all on board!
Things are going well. Now all that's left is--

*The ground rocks*

Wh-What was that?

*Ship continues to rumble*

The ship... It's moving!
drat it, were we too late?
If it enters Federation waters, it's all over.
Then we won't let that happen! Jarde's probably on his way back with Cordelia and the Navy now. We'll take out Baldren and hold the bridge until they get here.

Is Jarde traveling at the speed of light or something? Gallia is a small country, but it ain't that small, and mobilizing a navy fleet probably takes 3 times as long.

This game does not remotely have a sense of time passing.

We should also take that rail cannon offline.

What kind of lovely navy does Gallia have to not handle a single ship.

Okay, got it. That's the plan, guys. Let's go!

*Class G yells in agreement*

What's wrong? You look sad.
I'm sorry. I... He was your brother, and I... I wanted to use my powers to protect people, but... But all I can ever do is destroy!

Now's not exactly the time, Aliasse...actually, can you destroy that giant rail cannon for us? And kill Baldren?

No? Oh, okay.

I even got to talk to him. I got to say good-bye. You protected all of us, and defended my brother's humanity.
I did?
You did. Now come on. Let's put an end to this.
Okay!

Great, she gets a power boost against enemies when an ally is near...which is useless as a Scout.

So this mission is opening a bunch of doors so we can blow up blue radiators on the ship. Three, to be exact.

Basically every turn, one map will be fired upon outside buildings and instant-kill any unit caught in the crossfire.

The radiators themselves are basically as strong as APC butts, which is to say paper towel-like.

Marion's target was a freebie, but accessing the other two requires opening these doors that Franca is heading towards.

Even after opening the doors, you still have to go pretty far while dodging a million units and avoiding the instant-kill.

But having a bunch of tier 3 units go a long way.

red Squad Two, fall in! Stop the intruders at any cost!
Squad Three, circle round behind them!
Looks like they don't want to let us inside, Avon.
We're totally surrounded.

*Explosions hit the ship*

red Ngah?! What happened?!
Hey, that's--

All riiight! You're the freaking MAN, Jarde!
*Happily tweets*
I received your message, Avan. You have done Gallia a service. Now, for the sake of its future...

Remaining Aliasse art pages

Raise your hand if you're remotely surprised they wanted a big breasted Valkyur that just did what she was told

Cordelia art pages

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jesus the guys in charge of character design were massive creeplords.

It really can't be said enough.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

An SM duo? What? Having a red vs blue theme wasn't good enough?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So to answer the long-awaited question, the reason why Aliasse has a whip as her weapon style is because she was originally a bondage queen pair, but they ran out of time.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Tae posted:

So to answer the long-awaited question, the reason why Aliasse has a whip as her weapon style is because she was originally a bondage queen pair, but they ran out of time.

:psyduck:

WHAT

WHY

Why would you make a thirteen year old girl part of a S & M pair?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was she suppose to be 13 in the first place?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was she suppose to be 13 in the first place?

I don't remember if I did this, but here's the rest of Juli's art pages. If you don't like breastquisitions, don't read some of these:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Jesus the guys in charge of character design were massive creeplords.

It really can't be said enough.

I was going to say they did a good job on Cordelia, though, but then I read the artist notes and apparently the good design came out when the artist was trying to
come up with something bad to sell his preferred idea in comparison...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OddObserver posted:

I was going to say they did a good job on Cordelia, though, but then I read the artist notes and apparently the good design came out when the artist was trying to
come up with something bad to sell his preferred idea in comparison...

Oh it still gets plenty creepy in the description too;

Honjou posted:

The innocence you can still see in [Cordelia's] eyes is just gorgeous.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tae posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha. I tried avoiding commenting on the character designs because it doesn't contribute much but. Ahaha.

On a different note Juliana's Valkyria design is bad in a different way from the rest of the game. It just looked like she was covered in a massive puffy jacket in the cutscene.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Interview with the producers of VC2:

Some choice quotes:

quote:

When I first read the part at the script that mentions Avon shooting himself for Cosette's event , I was like, "Are you serious? What part of his body does he shoot?" I received the short answer, "stomach". Needless to say, I was speechless. A person could die from doing something like that! I put my concerns on the table, saying, ''Isn't this a bit forced? Is it really necessary?" But the entire staff banded together, insisting, "He totally has to! That's the kind at guy Avan is!" (laughs) What could I say to that? Besides, I told myself, Avan's so dumb that he probably couldn't cause a mortal wound it he tried.

quote:

Even alter a lot of tweaking, some of the classes simply weren't keeping up with the others. One such example is the Engineer. They were initially pretty useless, so I had to convince everybody that no player in their right mind would bother with this class unless we made it more useful. So we made the Engineer's pistol more powerful and extended Ragnaid's range... but they're still not particularly essential once you get relatively good at the game.

quote:

The Scouts were iust way too overpowered in "VC1". Since most of the missions in "VC1" involved capturing enemy base camps, the Scouts‘ usefulness was overwhelming, and they had quite a bit of firepower to boot. In fact, many players have mentioned clearing entire missions using only "The Almighty Alicia"! (laughs)

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

quote:

Despite the fact that you guys clearly put a lot of care and detail into creating the game, you certainly don't hit the player over the head with how awesome you are during the course of gameplay. The in-game events proceed at a good pace, without wasting any time drawing the player's attention to all of the little things, which makes the game very enjoyable.

Do we have the same game? :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Permadeath would be "a bit too depressing". In the game with implied daily warcrimes against Darcsens, not to mention full-blown racial purges of entire towns.

Anyone know where I can find that gif of the psyduck exploding into tentacles with psyduck faces all along them?

Thank you to the goon who PM'ed me with it

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

"not to sound like a total creep"

"not to sound like a total creep"

ahahahahaha

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

:psyduck:

WHAT

WHY

Why would you make a thirteen year old girl part of a S & M pair?

Welcome to :japan:; you appear to be new here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dragonatrix posted:

Welcome to :japan:; you appear to be new here.

I'm gonna twist the knife on this one; Look at Aliasse's outfit in the original design beside the unused twin. Someone got that and actively decided "nope, remove everything below the waist except the belt and shoes".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tae posted:

Some choice quotes:

Well at least one guy knew it was stupid for Avan to shoot himself.

And someone knew the engineer is useless, but couldn't balance it (:effort:)

And hey look they acknowledged scouts were overpowered in the last game. Which they were, seriously Alica and the DLC rifle was just a one man army.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
"No he'd totally shoot himself, because that's just the kind of guy Avan is!"

What, suicidal and retarded?

And eurgh... you really did save the worst for last on those art pages, didn't you?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So what I get from this, without actually reading the whole thing or checking who said what, is that there was one guy on the staff who knew how stupid everything was, but kept getting outvoted when he told them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apparently so. Though you can kinda see how the whole ":byodood:TARGET DEMOGRAPHICS:byodood:" caused them to turn the game into the mess it is. And whoever decided that Monster Hunter-style missions were a great idea should be shot. Monster Hunter-style missions were the worst parts of Monster Hunter. They are especially bad in something like Crisis Core (HOPE YOU LIKE 400 MISSIONS IN ~15 AREAS!) and in this.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Finding out that Cordelia's design was unintended is kind-of sad (and some of the designer comments make it worse): it's a character design that I feel is actually good.

Tae posted:

Interview with the producers of VC2:

Some choice quotes:

quote:

When I first read the part at the script that mentions Avon shooting himself for Cosette's event , I was like, "Are you serious? What part of his body does he shoot?" I received the short answer, "stomach". Needless to say, I was speechless. A person could die from doing something like that! I put my concerns on the table, saying, ''Isn't this a bit forced? Is it really necessary?" But the entire staff banded together, insisting, "He totally has to! That's the kind at guy Avan is!" (laughs) What could I say to that? Besides, I told myself, Avan's so dumb that he probably couldn't cause a mortal wound it he tried.
At least this quote restored a little amount of faith in humanity: there was someone on the design team that actually questioned, well, anything! Granted, they still went through with the stupid scene, but I do like his rationalization of "oh well: Avan is so dumb he wouldn't be able to kill himself even if he tried". :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry for having just summaries, but I said before I'm not doing any post-game stuff. This is the only new story elements to it, otherwise it's just more and harder missions.

Lavinia Quest summary

Lavinia was a member of Leon's squad before Avan entered the academy, and they were the only survivors of a Valkyrian-enhanced tank called the Ghost Tank. They find it, destroy it, and Lavinia cries in relief that she avenged her comrades. Also heavily hinted that Lavinia loved Leon romantically.

Her Wounded Heart Potential is replaced by Tank Mastery, which increases her accuracy.

quote:

One of the costume ideas we had for Lavinia was a tank top, and some of the staff members were very disappointed when we decided not to go with it. (laughs) But since Leon was the one for her, we wanted to avoid any situations where Avan might see her as anything but a big sister, so we put her in a coverall.

Jugin Quest summary

So Jugin is supposed to be a new game+ guy, basically sleeping in the entire 1st run of the game. He's a former comrade of Leon, considered the 2nd best Lancer in all of Lanseal. But he shut himself in his room once Leon became Dirk and blamed himself. Avan told him "Nah bro, ain't yo fault" and everything's fine again.

If you really, really like VC2's post-game, he's a good Lancer to have since he has double-attack after his classmate mission is completed.

Tae fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 19, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ha ha ha they knew scouts were overpowered and engineers were useless but they didn't do anything about it

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Except making a passive-aggressive 'no engineers are totally useful you jerks!' story-arc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hey, character development relevant to Leon. Not like that would've helped to flesh out what is essentially nothing between the prologue and the big reveal or anything.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ha ha ha they knew scouts were overpowered and engineers were useless but they didn't do anything about it

You've seen how good they are with character design. What made you think they'd be any better with gameplay?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Except making a passive-aggressive 'no engineers are totally useful you jerks!' story-arc.

At least two of the Engineer classmates involved "Hey, maybe you should switch to a different class" in Vicky and Raymond. None of the other classes had a "Maybe you should change class", let alone switch to Engineer.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

At least two of the Engineer classmates involved "Hey, maybe you should switch to a different class" in Vicky and Raymond. None of the other classes had a "Maybe you should change class", let alone switch to Engineer.

Yes, but in both those story arcs they find that being engineers is just the perfectest thing ever. I can't believe you're actually using Vicky's dumb quest as evidence against what I said, considering up until she learns the virtue of being an engineer she's pretty much the epitome of Dumb And So Goddamn Crazy.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, there's just no way we can fix these obvious gameplay balance issues! What are we gonna do?

gentlemen...I have an idea involving belts and whips

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Yes, but in both those story arcs they find that being engineers is just the perfectest thing ever. I can't believe you're actually using Vicky's dumb quest as evidence against what I said, considering up until she learns the virtue of being an engineer she's pretty much the epitome of Dumb And So Goddamn Crazy.

No, I mean the only time classes even come up are whenever Engineers are involved. None of the Scouts/Lancers/Shocktroopers/Armor Techs at any point talk about the class aptitude thing at the beginning of the game. They're the only ones that make a point that their class is flawed at all.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

No, I mean the only time classes even come up are whenever Engineers are involved. None of the Scouts/Lancers/Shocktroopers/Armor Techs at any point talk about the class aptitude thing at the beginning of the game. They're the only ones that make a point that their class is flawed at all.

I don't agree. Raymond doesn't say anything about engineers being flawed, they're saying that Raymond isn't fit to be an engineer. And Vicky as I said is just being the dumbest person ever as a passive-aggressive way to show engineer-critics as dumb crazies who don't care about the soldiers' health and just want to kill kill kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can almost guarantee you two are putting more thought into it than the developers did.

This is a profoundly stupid game.

• Locked thread