Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I was flipflopping on whether Mr. New Game Plus would be Leon or not. Mostly on whether the game would ignore the paradox of fighting Dirk. I guess this is close enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
loving love the ghost tank poo poo.

Spooky rear end tank.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
gently caress, I knew I forgot something.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The Alanis Morrissette kinda-anagram was pretty cute, all things considered.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mycot posted:

I was flipflopping on whether Mr. New Game Plus would be Leon or not. Mostly on whether the game would ignore the paradox of fighting Dirk. I guess this is close enough?

From peeking you can get Juliana if you grind far.more than reasonable. No idea how that interacts with her dying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OddObserver posted:

From peeking you can get Juliana if you grind far.more than reasonable. No idea how that interacts with her dying.

It's not like any of the characters ever remembered her death much, so I doubt they'd notice her surviving.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

With this, the war can finally come to an end.
I'm not popping any corks until we've found Baldren.

That voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fsQ0KlGjRo

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

No, seriously stop, I'm dying

Yes! I have become a true, complete Valkyria!
No!
For what end?
We Gallians are chosen. Our race IS strong, noble. Superior. But it must be purified of all Darcsen taint. Through me, the people of Gallia will see their nation reborn! As a stronger nation... One watched over by a pure bloodline. If you feel any loyalty to Gallia, join me now. Let us build it anew together!

I guess no one told him his current suit was going to be worn by a Darcsen. Oops on the purity thing.

Actually, that would be hilarious and probably kill Baldren on the spot out of a heart attack.

That's not a typo on my part. That's the game.

Avon, what are you...?
I know all sorts of Gallians, you know. Cosette loves to sew. Zeri loves... I dunno. Thinking about stuff!

Greatest leader ever.

Aliasse loves flowers, and my brother loved his family.
We're all different. You talk about purity, but no two of us are the same! And we acknowledge that, not hide from it. We cooperate. That's strength.

So be it. If you would cling to illusions, I will break them from under you!
This is it, everybody! We'll take back Gallia with real strength...each other!

So...this mission is really annoying and tricky if you don't know what you're looking for. Remember that Baldren still has his gimmick of reviving soldiers from the dead if you don't touch their corpses.

It's the same map as last time, but now we have to kill Baldren once and for all. He added angel wings to his attire for some reason.

He fires like he's surfing, and he hits softer than Dirk. Fencers are basically immune to his hits, which is sad when even V2's do a little bit of damage.

So this is the real reason why this mission is hard: You have to hit his backside, which is difficult because he auto-turns towards you at a certain distance. You have basically to set-up a situation where he's not near the spawn point, and hit his backside with an Elite Sniper or something.

Once his shield is down, he's as vulnerable as anyone else and goes down for the count.

The final battle, the final results.

Oh wait no, he's still alive.

Then you deny this power to the end... So be it. But do not forget that... this was your choice. To live in... fear of both Federation and Empire... As a tiny nation stripped of the fangs to defend herself... You chose...
We'll remember.
Then try to defend this country... my home... with just those frail arms...Try to... defend...

No, gently caress off. You don't get to pull that poo poo when you're the reason half the country's dead at this point.

Good loving riddance.

Of course his death makes the ship sink. rear end in a top hat to the end.

Here, everyone! Quickly!

Go, Cosette! I'll be right there as soon as we're all off this thing!
Okay... Hurry.
That's the last of us. Avon! Come on!
On my way! Be there in a--

*Ship explodes again, Avan falls*

Stranded on an exploding giant carrier. This doesn't look familiar at all.

No dice. I can't reach the ledge. *More explosions* Ngah?! drat it, what am I supposed to do from here?

Because you're a fool who only knows how to do things the hard way. Who knows what kind of mess you'd get into if someone weren't around?
But...
Eh, I've made peace with it. It's my fault for being friends with you. Plus, hey...You're like a never-ending supply of opportunities for heroism.
I told you. I'm becoming a hero. I need to keep you alive to see that.
Heh, I wouldn't miss it.
Wrap this around your arm, and... Okay. Let's get out of here.
Right behind you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY8MwND2iwI

I'm pretty sure they're two guys aren't that heavy. And what is Cordelia doing there? Don't you have help?

Oh, wait. They were pulling them from the other other side of the ship.

Then how did Zeri....?

That's not gonna work, that's not how physics work

Okay, they're safe. No thanks to Raymond who's just pretending to help.

Uh...the animation budget's been falling off lately.

Upon the death of Baldren Gassenarl, the Archduchess Cordelia called for the unilateral surrender of all remaining rebel forces. Their shattered army was defeated, and the civil war that had spanned the last year drew to a close.

Its campus destroyed by the rebel invasion and its name tarnished by news of human experimentation, the venerable academy closed its doors. Yet its grounds still served one final purpose as the cadets of Class G gathered to hold a graduation ceremony of their own, in the shadow of its bell.

We can't even officially graduate! That sounds very Class G like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLv_0HK7EUk

We're here today to celebrate your graduation. Thinking back over the year we've spent together, my head spins at all that's happened.

And though that's as it should be, I can't help but feel our parting is bittersweet. I'm going to miss you. As you begin the next chapter of your lives, we could not have asked for a finer day to make our farewells.

Yo, teach! Hey, that's enough with the sappy speeches already! Don't tell me you're goin' soft on us.
Yeah, seriously! A little more fire and brimstone please!
Yeah, give it to us good!
Right down to the end...

*Class G claps for Hubert*

Class G may be graduating from Lanseal today, but don't think that means we're gonna fade away! Our whole future's out there waiting for us. And I'll see you there!

THIS PICTURE IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE

RIGHT TO THE VERY END

I'm not doing new game+ stuff, so here's a list of stuff that happens:
-Jugin joins
-You get a third CP leader
-More missions that are end-game difficulty open up throughout the game
-Lavinia's classmate mission can now be accessed
-Hubert joins as a Scout
-Units from the first game join (Alicia, Karl, Aisha)

There's other stuff like Leon and Juliana joining once you get 27 and 20 medals respectively, but that's not happening here. Maybe someday some other poor soul will LP this game to very end, but not me. I'm out!

Baldren art pages

Avan art pages

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Oh my god I forgot how stupid Baldren looked. I swear I completely, 100% forgot how stupid he looked until I read that update. It's like I completely blocked that out of my memory. It's so stupid it's beautiful :allears: Thanks for LPing this, I know it can't have been easy.

quote:

When I first read the part at the script that mentions Avon shooting himself for Cosette's event , I was like, "Are you serious? What part of his body does he shoot?" I received the short answer, "stomach". Needless to say, I was speechless. A person could die from doing something like that! I put my concerns on the table, saying, ''Isn't this a bit forced? Is it really necessary?" But the entire staff banded together, insisting, "He totally has to! That's the kind at guy Avan is!" (laughs) What could I say to that? Besides, I told myself, Avan's so dumb that he probably couldn't cause a mortal wound it he tried.

I'll admit I laughed at this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Baldren is the villain this game deserves.

It's also funny that Brixson's whole schtick is 'We don't need superpowers, just the undying nationalistic spirit of the youth and their vigorous desire to shed blood for the mother country!'

Like, that's not actually that much better.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Did he really have to go shirtless to wear the outfit? I mean I know they wanted him to turn into a JRPG final boss and all, but it just looks like a silly helmet with some wings in the back.

Then again, this is the same guy who put on a pair of golden eyebrows without a trace of irony, so maybe his hatred of all things Darcsen overrides his fashion sense.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

quote:

Baldren's really not a bad guy, per se, it was just unfortunate how things turned out

WHAT. Did they get him mixed up with another jrpg villain?

Congrats for finishing this LP! You were really consistent on the updates, and you really showed off this game. For what it's worth.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Haha yeah I also did a big double take at the "not a bad guy per se" being used to describe mecha-hitler.

Also yeah, really enjoyed this LP, I liked the first game but would probably never have had the patience to grind my way through this one.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I know this is the wrong thing to notice with an ending that bad, but why is Alixis in the wrong uniform in that group shot?

Anyway thanks for suffering through this for us, I don't think I'll ever finish it myself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Blastinus posted:

Did he really have to go shirtless to wear the outfit? I mean I know they wanted him to turn into a JRPG final boss and all, but it just looks like a silly helmet with some wings in the back.

Then again, this is the same guy who put on a pair of golden eyebrows without a trace of irony, so maybe his hatred of all things Darcsen overrides his fashion sense.
It's pretty clear that valkyrians have no fashion sense in this game so it's only natural he noticed that and followed suit. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Of all the silly things for me to get hung up on in that update, it's that Hel isn't a typo. It's both a location and goddess who rules there in Norse mythology. Considering the games premise (and even its name) is blatantly based on Valkyries, admittedly this one far less so than the first, that they attempt however lazily to invoke other elements should surprise approximately no one.

also something something baldren looked dumb and that was a super generic ending

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Baldren is the villain this game deserves.

It's also funny that Brixson's whole schtick is 'We don't need superpowers, just the undying nationalistic spirit of the youth and their vigorous desire to shed blood for the mother country!'

Like, that's not actually that much better.

As in standing united regardless if you were from the Empire, Gallia, Atlantic Fed, Darscen and Valkyria.

Ah well good to know the lp is done at last.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So, yeah. VC2.

In fairness, looking back, this game is pretty goddamn lacking in redeeming value and I'm not sure how I made it through back then. Argh.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man, that was a lazy ending. Fitting for this lazy, dumb game.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man, that was a lazy ending. Fitting for this lazy, dumb game.

My opinion is that the principal error was trying to fit the whole "academy" situation in the principal storyline. The "Rebellion" profile would have worked much better in a game like the first (and the third), than keeping the academy as a gaiden game, using the tourneament and the brother disappearance as the principal storylines.
Seriously, this game was a total mess.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Whelp, Now is A good time as any to start the Neo-Rebel movement.

Baldren did nothing wrong!

cept of course all that stuff he did to sabotage himself.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Thank you for covering this game, despite all the baffling design and story decisions it makes that would turn away most gamers and fans of the original.
I can't blame you for skipping the New Game + content. :v:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Wow, that was... something.

Tae posted:

gently caress, I knew I forgot something.

My god, It's a KV-2. :ussr:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ghost tank is pretty cool.

That ending? Uhhhhhhhhh.
I suppose that's a suitable summary for VC2. Uhhhhhh.

But it's over now! And I actually like Lavina's quest. It feels like it fits.

Jugin's kind of a let down when you could put in codes and get Sylvaria and Isara on your team. Granted they don't have quests but hey, promo code stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The whole game in one image really.

Thank you, Tae, for doing an old-school LP, you play the game so we won't have to.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I remember being upset this game was PSP only, because I didn't want to buy one.

Thank you Tae for showing me that I had nothing to worry about.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So they basically merged two separate cutscenes for the ending there, both from different sides of the ship. The first one has them with ropes around their waist, which just vanish, then suddenly they're on the other side of the ship making a mad dash for safety on their own feet.

Given that last image, I can't help but think one of those endings is supposed to have Juliana alive and well in it but no-one told the writers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose his delusional nutbar nature is what led Baldren to mount a giant ragnite reactor on his own back.

It's like, what the gently caress are you even talking about, you rear end in a top hat? We ARE protecting Gallia. This is protecting Gallia, right now. From synthetic Valks nonetheless! That's good protecting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I binge read basically everything after Julianna's death today. Taking in that much concentrated stupidity is pretty mentally exhausting. I think the whole "cure your color blindness by believing really hard in yourself!" part of the game was the worst honestly. It makes absolutely no sense and ruins Cosette's entire character arc.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I binge read basically everything after Julianna's death today. Taking in that much concentrated stupidity is pretty mentally exhausting. I think the whole "cure your color blindness by believing really hard in yourself!" part of the game was the worst honestly. It makes absolutely no sense and ruins Cosette's entire character arc.

Whoa, whoa whoa. This game has character arcs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elric posted:

Whoa, whoa whoa. This game has character arcs?

They arc-welded sterotypes together for each character :downsrim:.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
haha, that was terrible

thanks for doing this Tae.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Great LP, Tae. Any plans to LP Valkyria Chronicles 1 or 3?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well Tae, thanks for finishing this game so I didn't have to!

This thread reminds me of that fateful Dragon Age 2 LP, you know? Dislike and disappointment presented in an entertaining way, but also informative enough to show why it is not worth experiencing, even ironically. This LP had much better production values, though.

I'm looking forward to your LP of #3!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Great LP, Tae. Any plans to LP Valkyria Chronicles 1 or 3?

Yeah, the entire point of doing this was to lead up to vc3. People that only played the first or none of the games need to see why and how the third game is better, at the very least mechanically.

That thread will probably go up sometime today.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't there a LP of VC 3 going on already?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

Isn't there a LP of VC 3 going on already?

So?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
For some reason I thought Tae was a part of it, but I guess not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

VC3 thread's up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721364

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why did Leon become "Dirk Gassenaharl"? Was that ever explained?

Anyway, great job on the LP, Tae. This was a thing alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Why did Leon become "Dirk Gassenaharl"? Was that ever explained?

Anyway, great job on the LP, Tae. This was a thing alright.

I don't think in-game, but in the artbook, Headmaster and Father Gassenharl were part of a council that oversaw Valkyur projects. Headmaster gave Leon as a subject, Father then kicked the headmaster out and took all the research himself and then started the civil war.

• Locked thread