Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Next mission onwards pretty much for that.

I also didn't mind the crazy animeness as much as the dang grind. The anime can be tolerated, the grind makes itself insufferable :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Woah an update.

Edit: I like the animated still image cutscenes the game has since they're pretty good at using motion to imitate body language. Adds a bit more character and effectively replaces the in-engine animated cutscenes from Valkyria 1.

Lanseal being a prestigious military academy is pretty neat. It being the only one is kind of :crossarms: though since in the first game it's mentioned that Gallia has mandatory militia service in it. But I suppose the promising militiamen have to go somewhere to get into the proper army.

Oh boy school drama. With the character that stole Colette's boobs from her apparently. (It is good the design changed but it's still in the game dangit devs.)

Glazius posted:

Really, I understand what's going on in Gallia. How many people actually going to buy those revelations about the Darcsen and the Valkyrur? It really seems to convenient to be true.
Yeah it's kind of mentioned somewhat glibly here but prejudice, especially when it's lasted generations, isn't going away without a lot of time being spent doing so. Some traditions and values have an annoyingly high sociological inertia to them.

I mean it's been almost 50 years since Martin Luther King Jr. died and over 100 years for the Women's Suffrage movement but issues relating to the color of one's skin and gender still keep popping up. Two years is practically nothing for stuff like this.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 1, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't quite right. They don't have mandatory service, military training is just part of normal schoolwork in high school and University. It's why Welkin in VC1 went straight to a squad-leading Lieutenant in the Militia - he was a University graduate and had military training as part of that. It also kinda makes a dedicated military academy completely goddamn pointless.
Ah yes that's right. Pretty sure it's required curriculum too, not just a normal part of schoolwork (dedicated credits and all that required for graduation.)

Speaking of Squad names I suggest Cliche Squad because that is the essence, nay the very soul of our class!
Just in this intro alone we have the hot-blooded protagonist, the ditzy love interest and the overachieving loner. We will not settle for just those three! There are entirely too many groanworthy personalities that we can and will employ to crushbefriend our enemies with maximum forceschool spirit! We will bring juvenile humiliation to our nemeses and see that they have decent conversations with us! And at the end of the term when we stand as the pinnacle of this academy we shall walk into the sunset as well-adjusted (if still anime) adults!
:patriot:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nick Buntline posted:

So the prestigious and highly selective military academy, whose application exams are so strict that multiple people have expressed amazement our main character successfully got in, has an entire class of people it considers utterly incompetent and worthless and whose teacher openly declares them to have no actual motivation to be here. And at least three of the people in the class were sent there directly from their exam.

Why...why didn't they just not accept them? Is there some quota of anime cliches they had to meet or something?
Anime school cliche: there will always be a class where all the rejects end up because while they may be considered incompetent and bad at life, truth is they just lack motivation and the school cannot deny their talent. The arrival of the main characters sets off the impetus of the class to gain or direct what motivation they have and it turns out the misfit class is in fact the best class in the school because their flaws were exaggerated.

Avon and Colette likely tested directly into Class G, though Zeri being there is probably because he's abrasive as all getout and the test instructors noticed this and stuck him in there too. (I still really like Crispin Freeman's work on him though.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

That is stupid! Not even MMOs do this! Why would anyone think this was a good idea!?
It's a school, you gotta earn those merits yourself! :shepicide:
The only other explanation is to balance the advanced classes a bit more, which it doesn't do too well because the grind sucks so much.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lunethex posted:

So why can't Engineers do engineer things in VC2 versus VC1?

Do they not trust military recruits with the magic wire cutters that restore sandbags, disable mines, and repair tanks?
The Armored Techs stole them and Engineers have dinky little pistols. They stand no chance vs. the shields and warhammer/picks of Armored Techs, so they haven't managed to get their pliers back.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fight! Tank best tank.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The problem is that it's way more annoying when it's run into the ground.
Which I don't think it actually is since everyone else's shtick trods all over his in the skits. Also he's rather inconsistent: see the skit immediately afterwards where he's he isn't complaining about being lucky to clean the Headmaster's Room.

As far as I remember aside from this skit the most annoying thing about him is that ridiculous beanie. I used him once but my main Armored Techs were Alexis and DLC/Code characters.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

One of the good things about VC1 was the skits and character interaction in them (even the beach episode had some of it aside from standard :japan:-ness) and one of the complaints was that aside from Squad 7's Core there wasn't any about the rest of the squad (aside from DLC.)
VC2 fixed that. In spades since they couldn't/decided not to do it in-engine. It's nice that all of Class G gets their chance in the spotlight. It's a pity that they are what they are though. :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

He was Regal, yeah. Really, if you've seen anything anime-related at all from the past ~20 years, he was probably in it at some point. Dude has had a lot of roles.
I will forever know him as Zelgadis from Slayers! :colbert: (Although holy crap now that I think about it I DO hear him in Sundowner's voice. Never noticed that before :stare: I love when VA's are put in non typecast roles for them.)

The voice work in this game is pretty good aside from the reusing of clips. Some of those get annoying but that's sort of par for the course for the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Is Reiner the only guy with that Anti-Tank ability? Also, he's another guy who feels like he fits at a military academy. Dude who lost a friend and who is a real go-getter who wants to be all he can be? What's he doing with these losers?

As seen in the 'Winter is the least of our problems' skit he's too into his training and pushing himself too hard which is ironically holding him back. He's definitely the 'least misfit' of the class along with Helmut though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

David Corbett posted:

Hmm. You'd think that if you could fire ragnite death beams and use invincible bullshit ragnite shields, you'd just skip the intermediary and put them on the same tank as the power source.

No one's thought of that yet/the person is a necessary component for the Ragnite Shields to work. Those are kind of necessary when you're slinging death beams around since then your tank will get stolen and now you've got death-tanks on both sides that can blow each other up. Plus now the other side is closer to the Death-Beam Invincible Tank than they were and they might get it first.

I just wish the power APC's didn't have so much armor. I remember getting through this mission but dang if I remember how.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fully-developed prototypes in weapon development usually are superior to their mass-produced version because they have all sorts of bells, whistles and extra care put into them in order to prove their concept. Dirk being better than the other soldiers is likely because all of his equipment is customized for his use and he knows how to use them well from being part of the testing process.

Granted anime tends to conflate the 'prototype' and 'batch production' stages a lot.

Also them using their new toys against Cordelia was pretty intentional. If it worked, they'd have massive propaganda advantage (The power of the Valkyria stuck down the traitorous Queen as it rightfully should!) if it didn't they'd have some actual combat data to learn and improve upon. While scientist chick's claim to do so was more of an excuse for Aliasse to cut loose, it's obvious that Red Eyeliner Mc. Angry Eyes actually took notes/made a report on his end.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 17, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm not american, so we have plenty of names that just means simple stuff like"Wolf", "Wood", "River" and stuff like that. Ain't nothing weird with them, it's the kind of dramatic anime nickenames such as "the red-golden wolf of disaster" or some crap like that when my eyes roll over in my head.
Pretty much. Scarlet Lion works because it paints a decent picture in your head of what he might be like to earn that. Same as 'Lone Wolf,' 'Maverick,' or any other callsign/nickname you may have seen/heard. Long nicknames tend to be transliteration gaffs because American's nickname stuff so it'd be shorter, not longer than a person's name.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Agean90 posted:

It kinda feels like there was like one or two dudes on the writing staff who wanted to do interesting things with it, then got overridden by their higher ups.

"I got this idea for a guy whos being held as a political hostage"
"Sweet, im writing up a character whos part of an oppressed culture, theyll work well of each other"
":downs: HEY GUYS, PERSONA SOLD LIKE HOTCAKES, THIS SHITS GOIN TO HIGH SCHOOL :downs:"
It kinda does. The game does some good things when it forgets it's a highschool drama, but then it remembers it's VC2 and then :downs:
I don't mind Avan since it's not his fault that his character development is delayed behind everyone else due to the way the game's structured. His time will come, eventually when he should have had some growth leading up to it.

I'm pretty sure it's this mission or the next where I quit because the grind plus the enemy commander BS got to me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I like to think that VC's devs knew that both Anime Highschool and a Civil War would be hard to get tonally consistent and tried to balance it out.

Unfortunately they did so the worst way by alternating them. Then again I doubt they'd have been able to do 'Highschool Anime with rumblings of rebellion that turns into a full on rebellion' while satisfying their audience's conflict interests.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

thetruegentleman posted:

The idea of the rebels continually killing the Darcsens by gunning them all down for no practical reason (like looting) is absurd; the idea that people both inside AND outside of Gallia wouldn't be horrified as soon as they saw the pictures even more so.
What the Rebels say they're doing and what they're actually doing are two different things and the game even addresses this with Sigrid. I'm pretty sure those who actually hate the Darcsens enough to actually shoot them en masse are the Gassenarls and they're just taking advantage of the poor state Gallia is in to incite the rebellion in the first place.

As for the actual soldiers and such they fall under 'they were ordered to.' Plus they haven't been given time to adjust to Darcsens not being second-class citizens in order to respect them as people. For those outside of Gallia it's not happening to them (and in some cases other worse things are) so they don't feel any need to get involved. See America before it got involved in WWII.

The only reason the Game makes it seem so absurd is that it's being juxtaposed with Anime School Tournament.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

On one hand Zeri's right in that Avan's acting really dumb and hotblooded about the situation and that he should cool down a bit.

On the other hand he's phrasing it in one of the most asinine ways possible. 'I won't let you jeopardize my becoming a hero to show that Darcsens are Just Fine by dragging me on idiotic suicide missions where you'll get us killed!'
My immediate reaction was 'Wow Zeri, that is so heroic.'

It could have been handled better yes, but that's pretty much Valkyria Chronicles 2.txt.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

Mmm....Zeri's been pretty consistent in being annoyed at Darcens being super passive.
Zeri has a valid point and it always annoys me when Ghandi style passive resistance or 'no retaliation' is coupled next to things like genocide. It smacks of 'assisted suicide' and I find such things intolerably stupid.
On the other hand it's kind of messed up for Darcsen to be brought up and taught to be passive but that goes to show how ingrained the problem is on both sides.

I find Mischlitt tolerable since her book/brain smarts and lack of people skills are just the sort of thing that would realistically land her in Class G and that a person like Avan would actually fix with his 'stupid yet earnest' methods.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

I think the reason Aliasse was shown off when you first fought V2s was that you were supposed to realize that

1) That blue fire that the V2s were shooting at you was related to Valkyrian fire, and
2) That even though they were scary when you fought them, actual Valkyria are even more scary.

Seeing that, you could realize that although you would be fighting more of the V2s in the future, it wouldn't be like fighting a bunch of Selvarias all the time, so you could survive them.

That's what I got out of the scene, and Juliana being one here compounds the Aliasse & Avan scene earlier (where he finds the SECRET PROJECT brief taking Aliasse back to Castle Lansealstein) in that 'the army is still working on getting Magical Anime Girl power' working since they're still dumb and haven't learned the lessons of the first game.

Juliana and Leon's reveal is fine in this regard since it helps answer some questions ('where did the rebels get V2's' and 'why doesn't Lanseal have them') along with moving further along the Leon Hardins bit.
The romance angle was kind of wasted as Neddy Seagoon pointed out. Alas, VC2 threw pacing out the window with it's schizophrenic take on separating Highschool Hijinks and Gritty Civil War.

This scene probably would have done better if it was a clear delimiter between the two, with all of the school stuff (and some rebel stuff IE the introduction of the V2's and Aliasse) and where Lanseal really kicks off getting the Civil War over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ghost tank is pretty cool.

That ending? Uhhhhhhhhh.
I suppose that's a suitable summary for VC2. Uhhhhhh.

But it's over now! And I actually like Lavina's quest. It feels like it fits.

Jugin's kind of a let down when you could put in codes and get Sylvaria and Isara on your team. Granted they don't have quests but hey, promo code stuff.

• Locked thread