Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Having about 15 people over for Easter dinner on Saturday, that way people are free on Sunday to go to church or egg hunts or whatever people do.

Trying to think of some stuff to serve other than the same generic holiday feast I always do.

Ham
Green Bean Casserole
Mashed potatoes
Asparagus (2)
Pearl onions
Brussels
Deviled Eggs
Rolls
Carrots + parsnips
Green beans + bacon

Pretty basic mid-western Betty Crocker poo poo. Which is good because that's what people would want and might be scared of say, seafood dishes or something. No dietary restrictions.

What about some cold stuff I can make the day before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You can't go wrong with a cottage or shepherd's pie. Assemble the day before, pop in the oven to cook before dinner. Remember to let it cool a bit though! If you want to get a little more technical, home made lasagna is another good make before bake later sort of dish. And who doesn't like lasagna? And instead of mash 'tatos, maybe try mashed or cheesy cauliflower! It's in season, and delicious. Other seasonal veg is spinach, collards, cukes, beets, green beans, cherries and strawberries!

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
Thinking lowcountry boil, since my in-laws have never tried it. But I'm being egged into doing a rabbit stew. It's very tempting as a joke option.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
My 80 year old grand parents are taking us out to the suburbs to eat at a lunch buffet in a hotel restaurant....

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Scrooge:
Ho-ho-ho! A cooked goose for everyone! Ha-ha-ha!

Barry:
It's Ebenezer Scrooge!

Scrooge:
Yes! A cooked goose! Ha-ha-haaaaa!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Corned beef and colcannon. I didn't get my fill this month.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Going for dim sum :v:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I am making:

-a Greek style leg of lamb
-mint sauce
-mint apple jelly
-peas
-a spinach salad with strawberries
-Greek Potatoes with Lemon Vinaigrette
-rolls
-and for dessert, I have been requested to make a cobbler. Probably peach/strawberry.

EDIT: changed to make greek potatoes instead of the potato cakes per request

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 31, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Make a nice caesar salad with homemade dressing and croutons. It's easy, way delicious, and you can make it all a day ahead and toss at dinner. I like this recipe, the dressing is pretty drat delicious http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/ask-the-food-lab-caesar-salad-recipe.html

Also how about some fruit salad or something? Everything you're making seems pretty heavy. A citrus salad can be a little fancier and is really pretty, just peel and slice some oranges, pink grapefruit, and blood oranges, then top with a honey and cinnamon syrup and pomegranate seeds. Really pretty and easy, can make it a day ahead as well.

As for us, we don't really do anything for Easter. So it'll probably be a pitcher of bloodies, some smoked salmon, bagels and fixings, maybe a ham or some kind of breakfasty thing, and some polish sausage because my grandma always used to make polish sausage on Easter and it's just a thing I need now.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
I think I'm going to make a beef brisket.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What about some cold stuff I can make the day before?

Make a big thing of liver pate and deviled eggs up

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Easter is al about the (late) breakfast for me,
will probably make a croissant breakfast ring, as that's quick, easy and delicious

example
http://www.jocooks.com/breakfast-2/crescent-bacon-breakfast-ring/

also, extra eggs, toast, coffee, orange juice and/or something sparkly

swansong
May 7, 2005

Goonfleet said I have to post on SA more
I'm making people comfortable for easter.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Smoking bishop and getting wrecked.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

swansong posted:

I'm making people for easter.

Same.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
An entire ham
Potatoes au gratin
Asparagus
Roasted carrots
Buttermilk rolls
Deviled eggs
A veggie tray
Wine, iced tea, etc.

Other folks are bringing pies and what not.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Prime rib because around Easter and Thanksgiving it's priced at $6.99/lb and gently caress paying $11.99/lb which is the usual prices around here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Poulet à l'estragon, king oyster mushroom risotto, glazed carrots, shaved broccoli and green bean salad, maybe some pearl onions?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol people make things for easter?

I like making things for occasions, but even when I was a kid and my family did the whole church thing, I don't think anyone ever made special food. I can't decide if I'm upset for missing out, or thankful for not having another date to have some random traditional family obligation on.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 3, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The only Easter food to have are those little egg-shaped reese's peanut butter cups.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

The only Easter food to have are those little egg-shaped reese's peanut butter cups.

On sale the day after easter. I get a few bags and they last for MONTHS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mindphlux posted:

lol people make things for easter?

You guys don't have a dinner on Easter on par with Thanksgiving/Christmas?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bob Morales posted:

You guys don't have a dinner on Easter on par with Thanksgiving/Christmas?

apparently my parents completely ruined this potentially great eating occasion for me.

we'd go to out to brunch on easter - usually at some hotel and there would be a giant buffet with steaks and lobster and mussels and stuff - but never really a dinner with traditional dishes like ham or roast turkey or anything.

now I'm grown and a heathen and I honestly didn't even realize easter was happening until seeing this thread. my life...

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

mindphlux posted:

apparently my parents completely ruined this potentially great eating occasion for me.

we'd go to out to brunch on easter - usually at some hotel and there would be a giant buffet with steaks and lobster and mussels and stuff - but never really a dinner with traditional dishes like ham or roast turkey or anything.

now I'm grown and a heathen and I honestly didn't even realize easter was happening until seeing this thread. my life...

My family was the same way, Easter wasn't really a food thing. We'd go to my grandparent's place, but they were terrible cooks so we'd have cold ham and green cake made with pistachio pudding mix. When I was older we'd go out to a brunch buffet somewhere. That's about it. You're not the only one.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

An entire ham
Potatoes au gratin
Asparagus
Roasted carrots
Buttermilk rolls
Deviled eggs
A veggie tray
Wine, iced tea, etc.

Other folks are bringing pies and what not.

Do you mind sharing your buttermilk roll recipe? We're going to my in-laws, and they requested that we bring bread and rolls. I'm making challah (also possibly rye challah, because rye challah is great), but I have yet to find a roll recipe that I really like.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

justasmile posted:

Do you mind sharing your buttermilk roll recipe? We're going to my in-laws, and they requested that we bring bread and rolls. I'm making challah (also possibly rye challah, because rye challah is great), but I have yet to find a roll recipe that I really like.

Uh, flour, yeast, bit of sugar, 2/3 buttermilk to 1/3 water, some salt, a bit of oil. Rise once, punch down, form into balls, place in well greased muffin tins and let rise until they're trying to escape. Bake at 400 until browned.

Sorry it's not more exact - I just do this by feel.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
1. Caesar salad
2. Lamb chops with rosemary and garlic
3. Horseradish mashed potatoes

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Apart from the breakfast part of Easter I grew up with, the bf apparently grew up with lamb, the edible kind,
so now its a nice breakfast, with some sparkles, because...that will be our common tradition.
and for dinner, lamb chops and couscous and lamb tenderloin.. ...dunno what he's going to do with the latter,
I'll probably be happy, the lambs less so

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

paraquat posted:

Apart from the breakfast part of Easter I grew up with, the bf apparently grew up with lamb, the edible kind,
so now its a nice breakfast, with some sparkles, because...that will be our common tradition.
and for dinner, lamb chops and couscous and lamb tenderloin.. ...dunno what he's going to do with the latter,
I'll probably be happy, the lambs less so

"with sparkles"?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Easter dinner: Poulet à l'estragon, , glazed purple carrots and pearl onions, shaved broccoli/green bean/sweet pea salad, hasselback potato gratin

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Drifter posted:

"with sparkles"?

I'd guess bubbly, aka Champagne/Prosecco?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Growing up in a Polish-American household I always assumed everyone went batshit over Easter.

We always started the day with black coffee (with brandy) and fresh babka, then a huge brunch with kielbasa, eggs, potatoes and more babka.

The entire morning my grandmother and mother would be cooking a whole ham and some kielbasa (these have to be from that local guy that does things "the right way"), kapusta (saurkraut), several mushroom dishes (with dried mushrooms my grandmother would smuggle into the country), and all sorts of other sides.

This is one of the few holidays I only have to show up and eat instead of cooking. Even after 30 years of watching I can only barely imitate the recipes they have been making by feel for 60+ years. Even entering the kitchen is forbidden unless you want to be chased out by a little old Polish lady wielding a rolling pin.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ham, potatoes mashed and baked, cherry stout sauce, veggie to be determined, either rolls or buttermilk biscuits. And a small Glasgow punch because fuckyeah.

E: My priorities are straight and Itym #1 after ham hit the oven was to crank out the punch and get it in the fridge. Ice blocl in a large custard cup to freeze. Potatoes were cooked last night, sauce is done, and now just to make the veggie. My wife has offered to do up the batch of biscuits when the ham comes out to rest.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Also I'm doing a new glaze for the ham this year: brown sugar (lots of), mustard powder, clove powder, lemon juice, and gin. It sure smells good, and tastes pretty good too.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Went out for a traditional Easter meal this year.

VarDovoli
Oct 25, 2014
Was in a fleet till down time so gonna do it simple this year.

barbequed baby back ribs
grilled corn on the cob
potato salad
garlic bread

Leucosia
Sep 29, 2014

The widow of Mausolus
Some friends and i get together for holidays and we sometimes do a potluck. This year i'm keeping it simple and since we're doing it at my place i'm going to roast some lamb racks with rosemary, thyme, garlic. nothing too fancy.
While the lamb is in the oven i'm thinking of doing either a carbonara or cacio e pepe in a Parmesan crisp bowl.

Not entirely sure on the pasta, any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Leucosia posted:

Some friends and i get together for holidays and we sometimes do a potluck. This year i'm keeping it simple and since we're doing it at my place i'm going to roast some lamb racks with rosemary, thyme, garlic. nothing too fancy.
While the lamb is in the oven i'm thinking of doing either a carbonara or cacio e pepe in a Parmesan crisp bowl.

Not entirely sure on the pasta, any suggestions?

IDK what the other dishes are gonna be, but I prob wouldn't serve something as heavy as carbonara. If you're set on a pasta, cacio e pepe wouldn't be bad.

I would probably do a pasta tossed in a bit of pasta water and pesto with peas and asparagus tips or broad beans and radiccio. Something lighter on the palate than a super dense, eggy dish.

Leucosia
Sep 29, 2014

The widow of Mausolus

Casu Marzu posted:

IDK what the other dishes are gonna be, but I prob wouldn't serve something as heavy as carbonara. If you're set on a pasta, cacio e pepe wouldn't be bad.

I would probably do a pasta tossed in a bit of pasta water and pesto with peas and asparagus tips or broad beans and radiccio. Something lighter on the palate than a super dense, eggy dish.

good point, it's probably cause i just really like carbonara that i wanted to make it. usually my friends bring pretty standard fair. One of them eats weird stuff most the time so i imagine he's going to show up with a bag of dry oats while munching on a carrot (i'm serious). I can never tell with that one. But i'll probably play it safe and do the cacio e pepe. I'm just in a pasta mood for some reason today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I was forced into going to a restaurant with gf and her extended family for Easter lunch. I'd never heard of the place, despite it being less than a five minute drive from home. Found a menu and decor that had been time-warped from the mid-80's (one of their specialties was BBQ Spaghetti & Meatballs, which was literally spaghetti and meatballs with BBQ sauce instead of red sauce). Had a chicken ceasar salad, since it looked like the least offensive thing on the menu. Bottled dressing, unseasoned chicken, iceberg lettuce. Girlfriend got a steak, which was also unseasoned, come out mid-well isntead of mid-rare, and was served with soggy steamed zucchini that was likewise not seasoned.

We politely said our goodbyes, went home, and split a 12 pack of Short's Brewing's Prolonged Enjoyment while watching The Big Lebowski and eating Starburst jellybeans and cadbury cream eggs. I think next year we may have some unfortunate circumstances that render us "unable" to attend lunch and able to skip directly the beer and candy.

• Locked thread