Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bobbie Wickham posted:

For how long, and how consistently? It literally requires several months to treat nail fungus, like three months for just antibiotics. Topical treatments can take twice as long, but they don't gently caress up your system the way three months of antibiotics do.

Don't you take anti fungals for fungus, not antibiotics? :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
The package was sent! It only cost me $60, which is little for a 20lb package! :)

The post office where I went is located in the brutalist commieblock that was recently patched up a bit where the concrete was flaking, but the resulting repair looks like an Atari game!

Right next to the Atari tower lies this quaint but very run down street with the classic Soviet 'Kruschovkas' from the early 60s which are in many ways cheesier than the McMansion, and a whole lot more depressing. These poverty rabbit pens were built in massive numbers all the way from Prague to Pyongyang and all of them are badly decayed these days because they were temporary, extremely cheap housing solutions that were considered 'disposable'.

Well, they stayed here to this day because we ran out of money in the 1980s. The apartments in these things came factory-equipped with many unpopular features because corners had to be cut on literally everything, and then some. For example, the ceiling lamp fixtures are not on the ceiling as you'd expect, they are mounted sideways on the wall close to the ceiling: this saved a few feet of electrical cable. Inside walls between the rooms are plywood and asbestos, offering no sound protection: a friend says she can hear neighbor's dogs scampering around the linoleum floors every single day at 5:30AM and that it wakes her up. There is very little privacy here. As far as the electricals are concerned, there are no grounding lines in the electrical system, and the fuse fixtures are scary black bakelite boxes with screw-in ceramic fuses, most of which were rigged to never blow years ago, turning the buildings into huge fire hazards. Not to mention that the insulation on the entire electrical wiring in the building is done with cotton, the old and then-cheaper style.
Outside walls are pressed asbestos sheets, because concrete and bricks cost money.

Soviet architects went even further: the washbasin was located right next to the tub in the bathroom cubicle, but there was only one faucet mounted on the wall right in the middle between the two. It had a long hose though, so if you wanted to wash your hands, you'd the turn the hose to one side, and if you wanted to fill the tub, you'd turn the hose the other way. This saved on one faucet, but it was unpopular as there was usually water everywhere from this contraption.

In a particular fit of irony, these walled-in mansions for the political elite went up only around a decade later. There was no speak of any sort of equality in Yugoslavia.

The garages are stacked two stories up, but most now lie abandoned and full of junk. The reason was when these garage went up, everybody drove tiny little rear-engined Fiats and these garages were made to accomodate only the tiniest cars, which was cool because that's what everybody was driving anyway. The standard back then was 12 square meters floor surface for all industry standard garages. The cars have grown dramatically in size over the years, and you just can't fit your average modern car into these tiny garage cubicles anymore.

All kinds of wild animals such as ferrets and all kinds of birds now live in these abandoned garages, which there are many of. I hear we even have a bum living in one of the garages, but he causes no trouble for anyone, and apparently doesn't stick much out of the usual crowd. Bobbie would've murdered him! :)

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

The graffiti on that garage is really neat looking.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That bathroom faucet configuration is very common in more bare-bones Japanese bathrooms; you see it in business hotels and basic apartments a lot. It's efficient!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Hi everyone!

I have some thoughts and feelings about this thread, and I would like to give you all the opportunity to suggest New Rules for this thread that don't support someone's descent into madness and death via overdose.

You have 48 hours, after which I will implement the new rules (if they address the above issue) or I will lock and gas this thread.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mocking Bird posted:

Hi everyone!

I have some thoughts and feelings about this thread, and I would like to give you all the opportunity to suggest New Rules for this thread that don't support someone's descent into madness and death via overdose.

You have 48 hours, after which I will implement the new rules (if they address the above issue) or I will lock and gas this thread.

This is the only good thread in E/N and dude has been through more than most people could ever handle. Make a rule yourself if you hate it so much.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I can see some of the value in this thread and as such would like to see it survive without feeling like our forum is contributing to someone's inevitable demise. My default is to lock and gas, so I want to see if it's possible to crowdsource a way to save it!

Bourgeoisie
Nov 19, 2007

One ticket, please.
I find it annoying he's just using this to promote his patreon now.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is the only good thread in E/N

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is the only good thread in E/N and dude has been through more than most people could ever handle. Make a rule yourself if you hate it so much.

agreed

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I haven't checked with mods/admins about this idea but this thread could be moved to TCC/GWS (probably without the Patreon links), or the OP could start a new version of his thread there. I know I would be happy to have A SWEATY FATBEARD there. :)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

also agreed

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

I haven't checked with mods/admins about this idea but this thread could be moved to TCC/GWS (probably without the Patreon links), or the OP could start a new version of his thread there. I know I would be happy to have A SWEATY FATBEARD there. :)

Noted, I like this suggestion. I am still all ears for more thoughts on the subject.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Totally agree TCC is the place for this, and no more fundraising. He had threads in TCC for years before this one in e/n.

Also, if it does stay here, I suggest goon-normal consequences next time racism appears. I feel like "there's no way our precious baby could know that was a horrific racist slur" has been exhausted by now.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

This is a good thread, ignore your instinct to gently caress it up

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Space Camp fuckup posted:

This is a good thread, just move it to a better home [tcc]

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

According to ASF's patreon, he's making 9$ a month, so judging what I learned about exchange rates from the documentary Eurotrip, he's probably the wealthiest person in Eastern Europe by now.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Anne Whateley posted:

Totally agree TCC is the place for this, and no more fundraising. He had threads in TCC for years before this one in e/n.

Also, if it does stay here, I suggest goon-normal consequences next time racism appears. I feel like "there's no way our precious baby could know that was a horrific racist slur" has been exhausted by now.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Nice to see MB's calm and not unjustified request has been met in an equally thoughtful and respectful manner.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Oh you guys :allears:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I suppose the OP could be asked to make a list of anything they want help on, mental health or life wise, and we could help him work on that? To be on theme for this sub forum. Otherwise, please move this thread to the goldmine or something. It has some cool and good posts, and it's a shame to lose all that. There is a reason why this is a fairly popular thread, for an e/n forum.

But it feels like it has run its course in the last few months. I'm always glad to hear OP's adventures in Super Croatio Land, but if we're going to be nitpicky then such a thread should be made [or move this one] to, I don't know, Tourism and Travel?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Mocking Bird posted:

Hi everyone!

Do you always poo poo where you eat? This is a non-problem that you created. Move it to another forum if it offends you, OP didn't request a Patreon until others insisted he create one and this is a decade after his initial poo poo. He has older mineral growths on his toenails than you.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm assuming MB's redtext is self-inflicted humor (since they're a mod) and not someone's serious opinion on modding a comedy forum, but it's still pretty off-putting to Kramer into the thread and give a deadline like they're some movie villian about to unleash the World Weather Destroyer.

Lock I could see if you don't like the topic, but why gas? There's a lot of interesting stuff in the thread.

And the "support someone's descent into madness and death via overdose" seems pretty hyperbolic, at least the past few pages have been very clear that we all encourage him to stay clean and continue to improve his mental and physical health, and also not just post about drugs. If someone before that said they want him to continue to abuse drugs or hurt himself, then probate or ban that poster. But why remove the entire thread because of those few posters?

If "support someone's descent into madness and death via overdose" is about him asking for money without mod permission, then edit the posts to remove the info and tell him not to do that anymore. Probate him for breaking the rules if you want. Locking and gassing the whole thread seems to me to be too much of a punishment for a single broken rule.

I really don't know what "rules" for the thread would satisfy you here. If you don't want the thread here, just say that. I personally think the thread should be locked, and maybe goldmined, and he can start another one here (or in TCC or TAT like suggested if you insist on removing SFB from E/N) - but that's just because I think long megathreads discourage new posters from joining in due to feeling like they need to read the whole thing first, not because the whole thread is somehow tainted.

I guess I'm asking what you want threads here in E/N to be? A thread about a goon's struggle with surviving cancer, addiction, poverty, family drama, interspersed with interesting photos, effort posts about a country and place most of us know little about, comedic idiocy, and all the while slowly starting to climb out of the well (we hope) - seems to me like that's a thread for E/N.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Thank you for the thoughtful post

The red text was a gift from a poster who apparently does not agree with my approach, and I'm going to enjoy the novelty while it lasts!

New E/N rules updates are in revisions with our new team and will be posted in a sticky soon. They are not a substantial change, but more to add transparency and clarity. This thread falls into the "above our pay grade" category - we are not a crisis clinic or therapy practice, and this OP is in need of real help.

The things you've said are good about the thread are absolutely true, which is why I am curious what we can do to support those elements of the thread without contributing to or enabling someone's decline. The consensus in the mod/admin forum was to gas immediately, but I thought there was something here worth opening the discussion.

I will add "goldmine and encourage OP to create a new thread in a different forum" to the list of suggestions to consider

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Mocking Bird posted:

I am curious what we can do to support those elements of the thread without contributing to or enabling someone's decline.

idk if you know tcc particularly well or not but this is actually what it does now. the days of goons encouraging other goons to buy russian benzodiazepines to ruin their lives for a funny anecdote are long past. they are literally almost 10 years ago. hondarider was a poo poo mod with poo poo advice and he got shitcanned. most posts in the opioid thread are lamenting the current state of affairs or are discussions on the difficulty that ppl with legit pain problems have with the system, not "how to tie off 101." the vibe has vastly swayed to a much more cautious and skeptical view, especially in light of the new dangers that research chemicals and bullshit like counterfeit vape carts giving ppl lung fibrosis.

tcc, right now, is a forum with ppl trying to help each other stay as safe as they can in spite of black market / illegalization obstacles.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

idk if editing is turned back on in e/n now so i'll just post again

as an example of what i stated above, i posted a bunch of info about counterfeit CBD vendors in the CBD thread. CBD is blowing up right now because it's very useful for a bunch of health issues and relatively harmless, so of course some dumb horrible people are going to try to cash in on it by making vape carts with dangerous synthetic cannabinoids in it instead. i posted about this trend in the CBD thread and pointed out some relevant vendors to avoid, and encouraged ppl buying to do so from trusted sources.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thread is fine and please don't mess with it.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

a final thought:

if your concern about the thread is less about the patreon poo poo and more about how ASF has a medical issue, the goon doctor forum could be another place for it.

either way, gassing this thread seems like an overreaction provoked by the recent other e/n tire fire and the suggestion to do so is probably why ppl have responded to you with some vitriol. im just providing alternatives that seem way less drastic and like they may actually lead to further communication / discourse with ASF while also getting the thread out of e/n.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
There is no need to gas the thread and I find it slightly silly that this is even being considered. Say "no more fundraising" and move it to TCC, sure, but this isn't a child abuse situation and cutting off ASB from an emotional and social support system seems unnecessarily harsh.

If you go around deleting all the threads that are about brokebrains trying to discuss their situation, it's going to be a very empty forum.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Red Rover, Red Rover, send ASF over

(To tcc)

This no editing rear end sub-forum is no place for our boy

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
ASF usually writes about getting high in the very same post he claims to cut his bad drug habits. This thread doesn't seem to enable him, money is. So far ASF has wasted every single spare dime on drugs he's managed to get his hands on. More cash = more drugs.

All in all, there is no need to close and / or gas this thread, although it has seen better days. Getting rid of the funding thing is important though. It shits up the thread and enables ASF.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I get that mods are spooked that E/N threads are places where crimes are being condoned, but this is really not in the same league as domestic abuse

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
So you want to move the thread of a known drug abuser to the drug sub?

I've read ASFs posts for a long time and the thread went south with the patreon. He's clearly got a drug problem but people have given him sound advice and encouragement to seek help and improve his situation.

I don't like his struggles with addiction but I thoroughly enjoy the visibility into his culture and life. The descriptions, photos and videos of his apartments and travels are very interesting and valuable.

Whether you gas or not will not affect his drug abuse, that is up to him. Why not provide him with guidelines for the thread and allow him to share his stories, pictures and anecdotes. People can continue to encourage his sobriety, while providing him an outlet to share his experiences.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Booger Presley posted:

So you want to move the thread of a known drug abuser to the drug sub?

for the reasons i stated above, this is not nearly as bad an idea as yr making it sound (nor an uncommon occurrence at all)

if it stays here that's whatever, i'm just more interested in not deleting it / gassing it and making sure ASF can still post somewhere if he cant post here, because i enjoy his posts and i want to see more of them, whereever they have to be posted.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Gassing this long running thread that gives a look into someone's life in a country most of us never will visit is an overreaction. Goldmine or leave it alone, please and thank you.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Fat Albert in a can posted:

Gassing this long running thread that gives a look into someone's life in a country most of us never will visit is an overreaction. Goldmine or leave it alone and then tell ASF to post part 2 in tcc so he keeps posting, please and thank you.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Whitlam posted:

Nice to see MB's calm and not unjustified request has been met in an equally thoughtful and respectful manner.

it is an unjustified and a frankly histrionic request, yes, and it has been met in a relatively civil manner by the ppl posting here. noone's threatening to mail acid bombs here or something

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

sea of losers posted:

it is an unjustified and a frankly histrionic request, yes, and it has been met in a relatively civil manner by the ppl posting here. noone's threatening to mail acid bombs here or something
this was in reference to the big red title complete with swastika that someone had bought MB at the time

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Gervasius posted:

Thread is fine and please don't mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ASF checks in once every few days so I was wondering, what if they're not able to offer their perspective before the deadline?

I'd like his input on what would help him feel safe. :)