Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disco Infiva posted:

So let's see if I got this right: Sweaty is feeling sorry for foreign tourists that he sees in Zagreb so he's now importing even more goon tourists to crash at his place(s), for which they may or may not pay him in 2L beer bottles?

Also, my buddy used to work in a hostel, so I chatted with a bunch of tourists there and most common opinion was that Zagreb was good for several days before you take for the coast. There were, of course, some awesome crazy ones that fell in love with the city and stayed for several months, even finding some kind of minor jobs to sustain themselves for a time.

Sweaty, Zagreb is much better than it used to be before. It's not quite there yet but it is getting noticeably better every year.

I like to take visitors on a bike tour of the solar system. There are fun things to do in Zagreb if you are a tourist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Millow posted:

You sure about this? Croatian psych ward doesn't really conjure up a good image, even the psych ward's in North America is pretty loving dismal.

They are pretty okay, despite being chronically underfunded.

Good luck ASF, also send me a PM if you're going to Rebro, I have a friend that works at the psych ward there.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Millow posted:

How about an update? What does a destitute Croatian Xmas look like?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Croatia had conscription until a few years ago, so everyone was in the army for a few months.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Can someone cast some light on the origin of this strange mural? Mormons? :iiam:

"Arrival of black people in Dugave", street artist Stipan Tadić, 2011. Probably a reference to a shelter for asylum seekers there.

https://vizkultura.hr/od-psihodelije-do-betonizacije/ (in croatian)

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TearsOfPirates posted:

Just a question for ASF: Are there some good (and somewhat cheap) restaurants in Zagreb? I'm thinking to visit it this March (I'll be meeting up with someone as well) for 2-3 days.

I'm not ASF, but I live there and used to eat out frequently.

Probably my favourite place to eat in Zagreb is Mundoaka but it's not really cheap, and it can be really crowded inside. However, if you can find a spot outside on the terrace, food is amazing.
Vještica is good, and very affordable. Great location in upper town.
Bracera, near the cathedral, has excellent food for decent prices during early afternoon.
Rougemarin also ain't cheap and a bit outside of the town center, but food is really good.

We are in the middle of gastronomic renaissance so you can really find good food pretty much everywhere. If you want something more specific, just ask here or PM me.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SaltyJesus posted:

Another ex-Yu goon here. I don't think Doctor Malaver is saying there are no weapons around (he did say people get them to shoot in the air at weddings), just that there aren't really neighborhoods where you'd need them when just walking around which is more or less correct.

Yeah, I grew up in Zagreb in the nineties and there was no need ever to carry a gun for self defence. Not then, not now.

There is greater risk in some taxi driver hitting you while crossing the road than getting robbed or murdered.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

What’s up with the Soviet army guy over your shoulder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_Broz_Tito

Also, I respect having portrait of that guy on the wall in TYOOL 2018.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do they need English teachers? I like cheap, low quality booze and poverty.

We are exporting well trained English teachers to Ireland. So, no.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Extremely tasty and quite unhealthy food, pretty landscapes and nice ladies and gents that are slowly drinking themselves to death because of poverty and unemployment.

quote:

I also speak Chinese!

I suspect this will really be needed soon.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there any black folk in Croatia?

Imagine being the only black guy for hundreds or thousands of miles

There's a half-decent african restaurant in zagreb. But other than than and some notable football players, Croatia is David Duke's wet dream, almost exclusively white.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Things change fast. I don’t think it was more than two years ago that A Sweaty Fatbeard was talking about Croatians not getting paid for work because businesses were basically immune to consequences. No one could afford to fight, and the courts were backed up for years. I think that was the story.

Yeah, that was the thing until we joined EU and everyone and their brother hosed off to Germany or Ireland. And suddenly, look, businesses somehow found a way to pay workers more than minimum wage and work them less than 60 hour weekly. How strange.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Here, have an another cute video of me petting Bobbie with camera up close, while Mr. Weed is strumming. The video is shot in HD I think and is even more relaxing than the video I upload before. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbFaBxjbX0

Cheers guys, I need to hit the sack. :)

I love empty Lowenbrau bottle stack. Feels like home.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

So many questions.

Does it ever go away? :ohdear:

It should eventually, but Zagreb's waste management and collection agency is incredibly underfunded and inefficient soooo...

It's a pretty recent phenomenon, until some time ago city was relatively clean but then funds got diverted from waste collection to building grandiose water fountains and monuments to war criminals.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm sending a package to America, to my buddy Caleb in Indiana. I put lots of various balkan things inside, I wonder how the guy will react to cemetery vodka and Pelinkovac. :D

I had a group of Australians swear that Pelinkovac Antique is the greatest thing they have ever tasted and even tried to import the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thread is fine and please don't mess with it.