Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

1: Fools' March

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk

ock? sure, little buddy. ock.

April fools:
sebmojo, 5k
yep
Sittinghere, 5k
yep
Capntastic, 5k
yep
Systran, 10k yep
Crabrock, 10k
yep
grizpat's mum, 5k
yep
entenzahn, 5k why yuhuh
ravenkult, 5k but of course
redtonic, 5k that's a rog'
ironic twist, 6k
yep
chthonic bell, 10k
:siren:FAIL:siren:
hammer bro, 7.5k da
screaming idiot, 5k no problemo
bompacho 4k si
Martello 5k oui
docbeard 5k yeps
Docklock 5k why yes indeedy
Morning bell, 5k yes
Killfast37, 20k yuhuh
Fumblemouse, 4k you betcha
muffin 5k reademanweep

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here's a :toxx: for 5k of delicious wordsnot by 30 April, 2359 PST.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

same :black101:

I'd also love to trade crits. I'm thinking of working on a novel I'd started last year, so I understand if that's daunting to jump in on. But the most successful writing group I've been a part of hinged a lot on IRC discussion and critique, so I'm hoping we can get some of that going.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

sebmojo posted:

Indubitably.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah all right. Need some practice writing longer stuff.

:toxx: for 4k by midnight EST, April 30th.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

^^^ Haha, look at this "I'll do the bare minimum" guy up there ^^^

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capntastic posted:

^^^ Haha, look at this "I'll do the bare minimum" guy up there ^^^

He's very old don't taunt the aged :coolfish:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Lets make it a cool 5k then you bastards.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
:toxx: for 10k words. I will be writing a sell-out work of cardboard-depth erotica to try to make money off of.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

:toxx: for 10k words this month.

I'm writing a self-help book for people with splinters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

:toxx: for 10k words this month.

I'm writing a self-help book for people with splinters.

If it's PULL IT OUT IDIOT repeated 2500 times you might have problems finding a publisher? Idk

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

If it's PULL IT OUT IDIOT repeated 2500 times you might have problems finding a publisher? Idk

No, you're thinking of Crabrock's erotic memoir silly

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
In with the :toxx: for 4k. Starting small so I can pace myself (and use any overflow for next month :effortless:)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

sebmojo posted:

He's very old don't taunt the aged :coolfish:

Says the fogey that forgot to add me to the signup list.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Says the fogey that forgot to add me to the signup list.

your mum is a signup list

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

sebmojo posted:

your mum is a signup list

Make sure you ask one of the nursing home attendants to set an alarm clock so you can wake up on April 29th and write five thousand words.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've spoken to Mojo a little for my writing plans this year, and I may as well make this clear for everybody.

Rather than a single novel, I'm planning to write a fuckton of shorts and submit them to magazines. Partly because I already wrote a goon-group novel in 2013 (I'm the only one who didn't blow their WAD) and partly because I'm a poor student again and could use the beer money. Same wordcounts apply to me. Mojo agrees that this is acceptable.

I might actually start as of April. I had 2k written up by the 12th but then my laptop decided it hated my guts and wanted me dead, so now I have an openoffice document that took 20 minutes to open and when I did, all the text was replaced with #########################################################################. I guess I'm starting in April too.

5K. I'll be trying to submit at the end of each month. If anybody knows places that are paying for shorts, throw them at me. C'mon bitches, let's rumble.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Make sure you ask one of the nursing home attendants to set an alarm clock so you can wake up on April 2930th and write five thousand words.

k

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I've spoken to Mojo a little for my writing plans this year, and I may as well make this clear for everybody.

Rather than a single novel, I'm planning to write a fuckton of shorts and submit them to magazines. Partly because I already wrote a goon-group novel in 2013 (I'm the only one who didn't blow their WAD) and partly because I'm a poor student again and could use the beer money. Same wordcounts apply to me. Mojo agrees that this is acceptable.

I might actually start as of April. I had 2k written up by the 12th but then my laptop decided it hated my guts and wanted me dead, so now I have an openoffice document that took 20 minutes to open and when I did, all the text was replaced with #########################################################################. I guess I'm starting in April too.

5K. I'll be trying to submit at the end of each month. If anybody knows places that are paying for shorts, throw them at me. C'mon bitches, let's rumble.

dude gdocs

gggggggggggggggooooooogledoooooooooooooooooooocs

unrelatedly, i'm not the boss of this place; the only rules are that you need to toxx to post a pledge and it needs to be at least 4k new words for the month.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 1, 2015

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
:toxx: 5k words :toxx:

I will write short stories and then I will top up the limit with low-effort haiku, which is the only kind of haiku.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

5k yo
:toxx:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is 5k the new 4k? 5k it is. :toxx: I got an old project to dust off.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
:toxx: for 6,000 words by May. Looking to get some more shorts published.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
In and :toxx:ed with 10k words by the end of April. Going to start working on a novel, finally.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 31, 2015

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:toxx: 7,500 words. It's just barely enough to qualify as a Novelette, and more than enough to make me uncomfortable.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Silly, stupid question from a sillh, stupid man: Can entries written for the Thunderdome count? I'm thinking of entering, but I need to know so I can adjust my word pledge accordingly. If they do count, then I need to raise it significantly.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Silly, stupid question from a sillh, stupid man: Can entries written for the Thunderdome count? I'm thinking of entering, but I need to know so I can adjust my word pledge accordingly. If they do count, then I need to raise it significantly.

Think of Thunderdome as your weekly sketchbook. This is the thread for getting around to that masterpiece (or masterpieces) you've been putting off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Screaming Idiot posted:

New words, is the idea. I think we probably need to rule out chucking in old tdome pieces to make up the numbers otherwise everyone will do it. OTOH if you want to expand a 1k dome story into 5k that's fine.

Don't try and rules lawyer this imo, just write, or don't.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 31, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Not trying to lawyer up, I'm just trying to cut out the temptation to boost my wordcount by adding Thunderdome pieces.

Anyhow, IN LIKE FLYNN, MOTHERFUCKER. :toxx: ME FOR 5K+ BRAND SPANKIN' NEW WORDS. LET BLOOD INK PIXELS ON A SCREEN FLOW! :black101:

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
I've got a pretty free and open Easter. I'm IN :toxx: 4k

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 31, 2015

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
i feel like i've entered an alternate dimension in which 5k words is considered significant for a whole month

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Some people need baby steps to write. A lot of wannabe authors freeze at the idea of actually writing their thoughts because of the potential of failure. 5k is a paltry sum, but it's significant enough to get newbies to give it a go.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
:toxx: gonna bring my novel from 40k to 45k, seb and sitting here can confirm cos I shared the doc with them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sebmojo posted:

OTOH if you want to expand a 1k dome story into 5k that's fine.

I was actually going to ask about this too, since that's kind of the writing project that's been itching at the back of my head. (Well, that and another one that I think would make a decent seed for a novel.) And I'm not too proud to admit I need a little leg up from time to time nudging me from "you know, I should really write a thing" to actually writing a thing.

So hell yeah, I'm in. :toxx: minimum 5,000 words of something mostly new and reasonably shiny by April's end.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

i feel like i've entered an alternate dimension in which 5k words is considered significant for a whole month
So have you actually managed to finish anything yet or are you still getting sad halfway through, trashing the whole thing and sulkily starting an entirely new project or what

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
yessss lets get spicy ITT

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So have you actually managed to finish anything yet or are you still getting sad halfway through, trashing the whole thing and sulkily starting an entirely new project or what

Please stop being overly aggressive and going for somebody's throat every time you feel like they need to be taken down a peg or two. It's really ugly and totally unnecessary, and it's not doing you any favors.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

dayum

e: I just did my first 2100 words just now yo.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys. We're all here. We've all pledged to write words. lets do sick burns but not disses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What do you expect me to deal with my fragile self-esteem productively?

You're probably right I'm sorry Systran please continue kayfabe as normal.

• Locked thread