Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Goddammit throw away the useless pistol, you could have had almost 2 plates if you'd have kept cans there instead! AGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Oh ye of little faith.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Time for big wiggly - we'll see all the non-boss enemies there are (though not all possible weapons on enemies!)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Oh my god that is just depressing. 150 health, 100 armor, and all of that gone due to a misclick when you weren't even playing.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It... I've... had finer moments.

Keep in mind that this is supposed to be a rest and refuel level, for the insane boss in the next level.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You know how irritating was watching you play like half the episode with no teleport and complaining that you have no items for it when you clearly did at the end of the last video? :argh:

VVV: gently caress YOUUUUUUU :ssj:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 6, 2015

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
After watching you scroll between your weapons during fights, I think I'll give you a tip: you can switch between the five topmost items in your inventory with the 1-5 keys.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Are you doing post-commentary, or live?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

On the one hand, that does sound useful, on the OTHER hand, I'm not used to switching between wasd and the number keys. And I'm so terrified of deleting my (again, best run ever) save file that I don't know if I want to risk a crash in arena mode.

One big disadvantage of the cloud-only saves is that the cloud is REAL anxious to just up and delete it. If you hit the end of the level and it crashes? TOO BAD.

edit: live

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How many runs end in success, roughly? One in ten? Or is it much worse than that?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You can tell he's doing the commentary live because when he starts talking the rate of mistakes skyrockets :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

How many runs end in success, roughly? One in ten? Or is it much worse than that?

That very much depends on your skill. And whether you accidentally push the "shove live explosive up own rear end" button. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crazy Achmed posted:

My own experience is 0 in 10. :shrug:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Pierzak posted:

That very much depends on your skill. And whether you accidentally push the "shove live explosive up own rear end" button. :v:

So far it's about one in fourty for me. That's the level at which I felt comfortable enough to LP the game :v:

On the other hand, as I've said, I've never made it this far starting from level 1, so that's probably 0 in another 30 or so.

That said, the level of "screw you RNG" is actually pretty low. If you became a for-real expert at the game, I'd guess you could pull off some pretty impressive wins/runs.

Really, the only real middle finger the RNG can give you (that I know of) is sometimes the laser gun is totally inaccessible before the Destroyer, because it'll spawn in the second half of the level. And even then, the destroyer isn't IMPOSSIBLE without it, it's just... it's a lot harder without that armor piercing.

I think I said this, but almost the biggest challenge for me facing the destroyer was psychological. It's got probably 10x the health of a War Walker, and those were the beefiest enemies besides this to date. I remember the first couple times I fought it, I was sure there was some trick to doing damage, like it was invulnerable from the front but would take damage from the back, so I used all my RDXs trying to splash damage the back of it then basically gave up - I just didn't think anything would have as much health as it did.

Different playstyles will have different challenges though, there was one guide I was reading that thought the Destroyer was just peas easy, and didn't understand why anybody would have trouble with him. They ALSO thought the second boss was the hardest of the bunch, and I've got a (marginally) better success rate with it.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 7, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, my droogs, all we know so far is I've beaten the game once (and a few other peoples' highest levels, that I'll find and post here) - who else has beaten it? How far did you get if you've not gone all the way through level 10?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Bacter posted:

Incidentally, my droogs, all we know so far is I've beaten the game once (and a few other peoples' highest levels, that I'll find and post here) - who else has beaten it? How far did you get if you've not gone all the way through level 10?

I've beaten the game multiple times. I'm considering recording my own runthrough of the game, but other than showing off the alternate levels that Bacter didn't reach, and talking a little bit about particular weapon tactics or specific enemies, I'm not really sure how to make a second playthrough just as interesting as the first.

To maybe help answer that, I did just get done with a (winning) run of the game where I deliberately didn't upgrade the rifle-hv to the mg-hv and just left it as-is. That gives it greater accuracy (less spread) at a cost of reducing the magazine size to 10 and reducing the firing rate very slightly. It still fires pretty fast, so it was better for individual enemies and the group of 3 welders, but it got a little rough trying to use it on larger enemy groups and I quickly decided to use things like the lasgun and explosives for anything more dangerous than 2 scientists. Maybe I could do another run like that on camera.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well let's open dialogues, because that sounds awesome. I can't PM you, if you wanna shoot me an email I'm at bacterx@gmail.com

Bacter fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 7, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My best runs made it to level 3 before I shelved the game :(

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So I've been lax about updating the enemy list - here's, well, everybody else. Except the bosses.

One neat thing about the robot enemies is that their glowing red eyes fade as they take damage - this is especially noticeable on the welders.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 8, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

In which I am gently reminded that the single largest threat isn't the single only threat. Oops.

Also: WOOOOO PART 2! IS BRUCE UNSTOPPABLE? PROVABLY NOT! BUT THIS RUN MIGHT BE!!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 8, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Whoa, dude! If you make it to the end on a single life like this, that's freaking incredible.

(P.S. I am about 99% sure that if you do die, it will be because of that friggin' Fat John. It's a good weapon, but holy poo poo you gotta reload that gently caress. I think I counted six times in the last level alone that you'd fire two shots, sprint, then try to fire again and realize you have to reload. Pick something with a bigger clip or get in the habit of reloading, man, I don't want this run to end for something like that!)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah if anything this is convincing me to ditch the Fat John once you reach like level 6. That tight spread really doesn't look good enough when it can't put things down in two shots.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Shotguns in general are just bad at taking down armored enemies like the Scientists or Swarmbots (let alone anything with heavier armor like a welder). This is because they have the lowest armor-pierce in the game, lower than even the mg3200 or the pistol, which aren't great themselves. They're better at killing enemies that don't have any armor, but have a lot of health, which in the late game essentially means hordes of the small zombies, the larger zombies, and maybe the odd unarmored guard you might see now and then.

I actually prefer using the SMG on swarmbots and the high-velocity rifles on Scientists, rather than the other way around which Bacter is using. The SMG has enough armor-pierce to kill swarmbot swarms fairly efficiently, and Scientists are dead in just four high-velocity rounds.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 8, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bah, the random starting weapons option only exists in preorder versions. And I wanted to see what the other unique guns looked like too...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Not technically true! You can ALSO get them with the "guns and tunes" DLC, which is how I did!

(Also, I'll show them off in a video after I win or die)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I finished this game multiple times in a previous version, and this LP made me pick it up again. Unfortunately I only watched the first 2 episodes. I died in level 3 because I hadn't expected the War Walkers to be so strong. I used to just circle-strafe them.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, I've read that DME is a pretty sizable jump in difficulty - in particular, the War Walkers are tougher, and line of sight for all enemies is greatly expanded - no more taking out one enemy at a time with sniping.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For the record, god drat, the same applies to the guards. The pistol guards hurt you significantly less pre-DME. I can't imagine how much shotgun guards hurt now.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

This is getting out of control - I've actively been nervous for the past three levels, and that has NOT changed.

(For the record, when I say "we navigated seven and eight last time", "last time" means "since the last checkpoint")

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 8, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is that Skinny Puppy I hear behind video 7?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It's possible, if they're on Free Music Archive! I think 7 might be "the womb" instead? But that could be wrong.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I need to check that out, the music so far has been very much my jam.
In game-related chat, I never got past lvl 2. I am really bad at this game.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Well folks, I am happy to report that I have finished recording a run of the game, and have almost 3 hours of footage and commentary for your maybe-enjoyment. I'll be editing it into one-level chunks, adding some alright industrial-ish background music, and probably publishing two or three level chunks per day, to catch up to Bacter's progress a little faster.

I'm fairly happy with how the run turned out, and think I demonstrated what I wanted to demonstrate without wasting too much time. There's still plenty of time to be thorough with later runs (possibly by extra runners beyond myself and the OP) and later trips to the Arena.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Well played Bacter, but please for the love of god be more careful with that fatjohn!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Bravo posted:

you'd fire two shots, sprint, then try to fire again and realize you have to reload.

Bacter posted:

"I don't know why I thought I had any ammo left in that thing"

:rant:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

I choose to believe that that comment was just for you.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, I couldn't wait. I've been keeping to one update-a-day, but I had to try level 10. It's... you'll want to see it. Uploading now.

I'm also renaming the Fat John "Bravo's Bane", because while I'm in a zen-like state when I'm recording and I'm not thinking long-term, there's a faint glow knowing that Bravo's blood pressure is gonna rise a bit on seeing the recording :downsgun:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bacter posted:

I'm also renaming the Fat John "Bravo's Bane", because while I'm in a zen-like state when I'm recording and I'm not thinking long-term, there's a faint glow knowing that Bravo's blood pressure is gonna rise a bit on seeing the recording :downsgun:

:vince:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Bacter posted:

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Bacter posted:

Well, I couldn't wait. I've been keeping to one update-a-day, but I had to try level 10. It's... you'll want to see it. Uploading now.

yessssss

Honestly, great job with the LP regardless of how your one-life ambitions turned out. Something about this game that is mesmerizing (for me) to watch, especially w/ your live commentary.

• Locked thread