Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Well, this seems... frankly, pretty typical for xenoargh, given what I know of the modder in question. A dubious aesthetic sense, questionable design decisions, and bullet sponges seems to be his signature; in this case, at least, it might actually be working out. Guess the format of Teleglitch managed to work out decently with his typical means. Except for that terrible blur effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

MShadowy posted:

Well, this seems... frankly, pretty typical for xenoargh, ...

You forgot the hadoken zombie.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Teledahn posted:

I found the auto-shotgun to be more necessary than the shotgun-revolver. Soft hordes are dangerous, and huge. Like, four times the size of a zombie pipe in vanilla.

THAT is what the auto nailgun is for! :eng101:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bacter posted:

THAT is what the auto nailgun is for! :eng101:

I haven't done extensive tests but the initial experiments made the cannon at least look kinda promising in that role too since it leaves a huge burning hole in the floor that eats soft hordes really nicely as long as they can't avoid walking through it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Slaughterhouse War Journal

Standing over Destroyer's body

1) I'm... 90% sure that level 6 is bugged. The first time I played it, I was well-armed and armored. I was instantly torn apart by an insane wave of enemies. The second time I played it, I was well-armed and armored, and expecting a huge wave of enemies. I was torn apart, but only after a bitter struggle, and far away from home base. I teleported to base on death, made a new teleporter, and set off. I was torn apart a second time, this time close to base. My third life was spent frantically making a new teleporter and basically kamikaze-ing the welders. Life four, the last life, was spent unloading my M-14 on everybody that was left.

It was an enormous firefight, I got truly insane amounts of ammo from it, burned through three teleporters, and... there were no more enemies left in the level besides the boss. I think the detection radius on this boss level is set to infinite or something, what happened was that literally every enemy in the level bum-rushed me all at once.

2) Panzerfaust-AP more like Panzerfaust-OP. I crafted it to thin out the herd in the level 3 secret boss fight, whereupon it promptly one-shotted all three war walkers in one go. Awesome! It did the same for the two war walker fight on level 5 of course. Then level 6.... it, uh, one-shotted the Destroyer. It's officially too much power for an RDX_500 and some cans.

Mid-level 7

3) Right now I just beat level 7. Enemy detection rate is back to normal, but good NIGHT are there a lot of enemies. I'm glad I kept the Griffon, basically a huge magnum. It takes down welders in three shots, and EVERY SINGLE WELDER gives out a battery. I've got frankly irresponsible amounts of battery ammo at this point.

4) The ninja enemies are very cool and threatening. The weapons were meant to add a huge variety to the game, but unfortunately xenoargh short-circuited the scarcity mindset of the game, so instead of a bunch of divergent paths leading to different weapon types, you can just have it all. Inventory juggling is a huge problem, but I'm ALSO armed for bear. I've got clownshoes amounts of ammo.

I won't lie though, this is still a super fun mod. The Panzerfaust-AP is kind of a pandora's box, a forbidden pleasure. It's too good. If it one-shots the blue walker I might consider banning it from future gaming.

Don't get me wrong, this is NOT as good as the main game, but in my mind, it's exactly what a mod should be. A bunch of cool ideas and neat things that sooooort of work together, and give the game a whole new feel. I guess I would prefer it if it was still balanced, but eh, whatcha gonna do. I look forward to seeing which other levels are completely broken as far as enemy detection radii.

The state of the union after level 7

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Incidentally, this mod doesn't work on OSX. I had some hope when I saw it mostly consisted of Lua changes (since Lua is an interpreted language and the interpreter is presumably built into the Teleglitch binary), but for whatever reason the game fails to start when the mod is installed.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I have never not killed myself with the dynamite.

Further experimentation is needed.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Wow, that slaughterhouse mod looks painful to play based on visuals alone. It feels like all they did was add some sort of blur filter to the visuals for the game and called it a day. That said, from what I could see it looked kinda neat though bullet spongey. Also this is pretty late probably, but grats on the one life run.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Thanks! So I didn't DIE in the level 8 rush, because I had a teleporter left, but there were just too many enemies in the main room and the game froze ;v:. So, I died, basically.

About Slaughterhouse: I really don't much like the visuals. I really have no idea what the blur effect was about. And, as mentioned, some of the crafting is maybe a little wonky?

The game isn't PAINFUL to play, and parts of it are even quite fun. I was enjoying when the ninjas came after me amidst a swarm of robots, I like basically all the new visuals sans blur (you know, come to think of it, the blur might be to make the new visuals look better, like we don't notice small details or something?).

Honestly, my single largest complaint is how on every boss level so far every enemy in the game has bum-rushed me. If it wasn't for that, I'd give it a solid recommendation.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Fun fact from experimenting in the arenas: You can, in fact, stab welders with your knife. You'd have to be suicidally desperate to do so, but you can do it and it does do a bit of damage. Welders don't turn super-fast and they do have to be facing you head-on to zap you, but it's still a terrible idea.

You can't stab the Squid, Destroyer Snake or Blue Walker, though. Straight up doesn't work; it doesn't even make a "tink" sound to indicate it fails. So if you're out of ammo and explosives, there is no way to hurt those guys.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Bacter posted:

... And, as mentioned, some of the crafting is maybe a little wonky?

You can craft M-Chips.

The crafting is INSANE compared to vanilla.

E: Power-Legs on level one. Seriously.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 2, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Speaking as a computer scientist, most computer chips ARE just two high explosives welded together.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You think he's joking? :v:

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
News, everyone!

I've just finished recording another addendum run of the game, where I sort of mix-and-match a few challenges together.

The main idea is that the taser is the only energy weapon I'll use during the run, but I'm also crafting stuff like the autopistol and heavy revolver, and showing off how to use the normal shotgun and mg-3200 (no drum upgrade), which is similar to the stuff you'd have to do in a no-crafting run.

Bacter also mentioned to me in an e-mail that he's probably going to do a little bit more with the Slaughterhouse mod before he calls the thread finished and ready for archiving.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Another challenge occurred to me: the sticky gun challenge. Basically, you aren't allowed to switch to a different weapon until your current weapon is out of ammo. Explosives are okay, the knife/shockblade are okay, switching away to use medkits, craft stuff, etc. is fine, but once you fire a given gun, you aren't allowed to use a different gun until the first one runs dry.

I'm probably not going to try to tackle this myself, but it seems a bit more viable than the Nails & Rails challenge or the "no crafting" challenge.

There's also the germophobe challenge, where you aren't allowed to pick up anything that touches the floor, so the only items you can use are ones you start with and ones that come from storage cabinets. Among other things that means no armor, no secrets, and no shotgun, since for some reason all shotgun shells come from the floor.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh, hey, somebody posted in the Teleglitch thread! That's good timing, because for a short time You can get Teleglitch for like, six bucks.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
The Militech Strategic Predictor launches another simulation, this time seeing how a scientist in another sector would complete the game while making different crafting choices. It's time for Theodore Graham to escape the facility.

Leylite Addendum Module 1: Just Another Day At Work
Leylite Addendum Module 2: Ant Farm

Although I did upload an arena test using OBS to record, which resulted in some better quality videos (no cutoff of the top and bottom text lines, higher resolution video without any performance problems), I'm still in the middle of learning how to use Avidemux to edit .flv videos (so I could balance audio levels, synchronize the commentary to the game sounds and add in the background music). So in the meantime I just recorded this addendum with the tried-and-true recording setup.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Today we enter the interesting and dangerous parts of the game, show off our new crafting strategies, and start using some explosives for good value. We're still very much in the "preparatory" stages of the run, but the gameplay will start looking different pretty soon. It's time to visit the Madhouse again.

Leylite Addendum Module 3: Gun Show
Leylite Addendum Module 4: The Doctor Is In

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
The run enters the mid-game, a dangerous place where the enemies shoot a lot more, and cover becomes increasingly important. We take out the autopistol, the heavy revolver, and more explosives, and still only just about keep pace.

As for the bosses? Well, I'll say it's definitely worthwhile to watch those fights, and I've had a plan the whole time in case I die on an odd-numbered module, and leave it at that.

I also can't find the first track I used in module 5 anywhere on the Internet anymore, so I guess that's cool too?

Leylite Addendum Module 5: Flesh And Steel
Leylite Addendum Module 6: 99% Lethal

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
At this point, the levels are more dangerous than the bosses - the bosses always behave the same and as long as you have enough ammo, the tactics mostly play out the same way each time. The levels can give you all kinds of crazy mixes and hordes, though. I also make some more "inefficient" decisions for the sake of LP entertainment rather than prudence.

Leylite Addendum Module 7: Curious Factory
Leylite Addendum Module 8: Strong Nuclear Force

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
The End.

Leylite Addendum Module 9: Frying Pan
Leylite Addendum Module 10: Confrontation

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This new run was pretty instructive, man. Thanks for continuing to post them!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Would it be possible to see a stimulant based run (ideally including powerlegs)?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CrazySalamander posted:

Would it be possible to see a stimulant based run (ideally including powerlegs)?

I got the related achievement (for spending more than half of a run under the influence), but didn't manage a win; turning all of your medkit25s into stimulants has ramifications for your health, not to mention the fact that you're constantly running around twitching and probably not taking the time needed to really think about what you're doing.

Maybe I'll find time to record a session, but I wouldn't count on it. If anyone else wants to take a shot, they're welcome to do so.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many achievements are there for this game?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many achievements are there for this game?

There aren't any in-game achievements, but there are 39 Steam achievements.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leylite posted:

There aren't any in-game achievements, but there are 39 Steam achievements.

Which mostly consist of making progress in the game (reaching levels / killing bosses), beating the arena levels, and killing lots of zombies. There's only a few "gimmick" achievements, and they can all be gamed to some extent. E.g. the "Craft a Railgun" achievement can be gotten by starting from the level-9 checkpoint, which starts you with everything you need, and the "complete a level without getting hurt" achievement is easy on level 1 as long as you're willing to waste all your pistol ammo. I think the stimulants one can also be gamed by starting from a checkpoint, making some stims with your starting supplies, using them, then running into the closest enemies. It's significantly harder to play the entire game while prioritizing stims.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Battle Report: WOOOOO

So I finally beat the Slaughterhouse Mod. I gave it a few weeks rest, then it took me probably a dozen or so tries to get it. I've cataloged my pre-level-8 experience before: here's what happens at and past level 8. Hint: it's bonkers.

Just like in the other boss rush levels, every enemy within a huge radius charges at you from the word go. My survival was 100% due to the geography:

I survived because most of the crush of enemies got stuck in that narrow corridor, keeping themselves occupied until I'd got the lay of the land and was prepared to shoot.

There were just a ton of squids, and guards with high-powered weapons. These weren't the ninjas, they're strong gray guards with red hats. They've got more health and armor, but are much slower. There were also swarmbots and a ton of welders. Having the server room full of sight-breaking columns was pretty excellent, but it did lead to a "clever girl" moment when a couple of welders flanked me at once.

As you can see, the main hallway below the choke point got fairly littered

Of special interest was the obscene (for the time) level of War Walkers. Each one of these is a motor dropped by one. Keep in mind these are bosses.

You can basically trace my path in high-end corpses.

Of course, the upside to that rush is that the rest of the level was fairly uneventful

This is the Blue Walker. He now has twin auto-shotguns, is a lot faster, and still goes down in one shot to the Panzerfaust-AP.

Do you see that little bit of void near the wall there? On the right? I didn't, and got insta-killed.

Wasted a teleporter, and felt pretty silly doing it.

I fought the Blue Walker pretty early on, and there were... a Few More war walkers in the level!

But they didn't all bum-rush me, so I could follow what became a standard tactic for the next three levels: open a door and/or walk ten feet in an unexplored direction, then run backwards weeping and firing weapons.

The basic rule at this point is: silver spoon, griffon, or shotgun revolver for anything organic, laser SMG for anything inorganic, Panzerfaust-AP for any bosses. Modifications are: Dual-SMG for ninjas, GL-1 for walls (I really need to dump this thing), nailgun-1 for pipezombies. Laser cannon is saved for the last two levels.

LEVEL 9

No rest here, nor was any really expected. It's just lots and lots of gray guards and ninjas.

Though blue walkers and the snake bots also charge you periodically. Those need panzerfaust APs, but I'm running low.

This huge, open-air courtyard saw lots of fighting. You want to be as far away from high-level guards as possible, because their aiming distance is huge. At least they're slower than the ninjas! Also notice the stylish red hats.

There are new armies with every step. If every guard didn't have a guaranteed weapons drop, I'd be out of ammo in five minutes.

I was dipping perilously low on canned meat, and was almost pathetically grateful for this late-game storeroom of it.

I can't believe I failed to screenshot this, but this room saved my bacon. Later on, I was being charged by two blue walkers, and managed to get them both stuck in here, where I could cherry pick them with my laser SMG. I'm 100% out of panzerfaust-APs at this point.

Also of note: the mag-shield has saved me probably 100 times over. GET IT.

At this point, you're either equipped to win or not. Go slowly, attracting as few enemies as possible. When a huge horde comes after you, make sure you pull up the map, so as to not run into a corner. You want to create a big corridor for retreats. The more doors and corners, the better.

The gun show. I've taken the ammo from all these. Don't worry, my stuff's nearby!

First time beating level 9 wooo!

LEVEL 10

So at this point, I'm feeling pretty good. As you can tell from the teleporter situation, Level 9 was pretty good to me. I didn't run into too many problems, only died once, far from the teleporter...

Ouch.

Yeah. That wasn't happening. The initial rush from this level was just an insane, endless stream of destroyers, blue walkers, guards, war walkers, and of course the swarmbot/welder duo we all konw and love. I wasted a few thousand battery rounds, most of my teleporters, and we've only just started. Hooray. On the plus side, I DID get a Panzerfaust-AP!

Whiiich I use basically one room over. That's hitting a blue walker just off-screen, and downing him.

As I said before, the advantage to the boss rush stages is that once you survive the initial rush, it's just stragglers. This was a really small level, too!

In fact, all that was really notable, beyond finding a 100 and 50 health kit, was...

The final boss!

Unchanged, except that you're absurdly better-kitted. Went down in like a minute. No teleporters.

They drop two blue walkers on you after he's done, but honestly, they drop probably six of them on you in the level, so if you can't handle blue walkers I don't know what to say to you.

And that.

Was.

That.

All in all, a pretty fun mod! There's a kind of difficulty lag, where you'll feel invincible up until about level 6. 6-7 are of moderate difficulty, and 8-10 are just insanity in a bottle. Go slow, get stocked correctly. I'd recommend exactly my loadout. It's really rewarding to finish!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 8, 2015

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That was amazing! How long did it take hours-wise?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Probably 1.5-2 all told. I went MUCH slower in the later levels. The guy said he wanted the mod to be run-n-gun, but man, you'll get yourself murdered in a hurry if you try any of that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ridiculously belated thanks for showing off this game. It's neat what people are doing with the roguelike sort of rapid game iteration concept. I've enjoyed the strategy discussions thoroughly.

• Locked thread