Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I haven't had the energy for drawing since the baby was born, but here's some doodles I did tonight to try and get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Lovin' the artworks this month... Shame I haven't been able to get more than a day or two's practice in this month, but I have started practicing with improving my colours. As in this morning.

The first is a basic head. I think I overdid it on the highlights.

The other... Well, I'm probably not going to go back to it for a while. To be honest, it kinda creeps me out...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trying to finish up a sketch comic on an absurd schedule :qq:

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, artsy *scroll* artsy *scroll* and then:

dong.

Elves have, like, 20 six-packs, right?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

BIG STRONG ORC

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm working on a written tutorial about digital coloring and I wanted to get some folks who wouldn't mind submitting pieces for critique as part of the explanation. It could be old stuff that you hate or things you want help with or whatever.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
What sort of thing are you after? I've put a few images here, a variety of stuff, and a crit of any of them would be appreciated.

A friend of mine is moving to Cottbus, Germany, so I made her a card:

:downsrim:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 24, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Those are great for what I'm trying to do, petrol blue -- thanks!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

neonnoodle posted:

I'm working on a written tutorial about digital coloring and I wanted to get some folks who wouldn't mind submitting pieces for critique as part of the explanation. It could be old stuff that you hate or things you want help with or whatever.

Even though they're beginner stuff, and WIPs to boot, I'd quite happily submit the pieces I put just a few posts ago as part of it, and you're also quite welcome to take any of my coloured dA pics as examples (Just, y'know, lemme know if any of them are useful for what you're going for, even as examples of what not to do.)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Great! Thanks.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules

I'm fed up with this.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Sounds fun, here's some old stuff.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

petrol blue posted:

A friend of mine is moving to Cottbus, Germany, so I made her a card:

I got everyone to write in the card, and she nearly cried when she saw it. :3:

I love being able to do stuff like that, makes the dull 'earlobe study #247' moments totally worth it. :)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Sad space guy.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 25, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Humboldt Squid posted:

I haven't had the energy for drawing since the baby was born, but here's some doodles I did tonight to try and get back into it.

Operation Juicebox posted:

I'm fed up with this.

Ah, yes. Bird mom is best mom. Here's one I did a week or so ago:

Not 100% satisfied with it but it was fun to try out Sai's wacky brushes

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Any time limit on this? I want in, but I don't have much shaded/colored stuff to submit - yet.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

noggut posted:

Any time limit on this? I want in, but I don't have much shaded/colored stuff to submit - yet.

I've been working on this project for a while because it's going to be kind of complicated, so you still have some time if you want to submit something. Be warned that for the purposes of the tutorial, your work may fall under either Goofus or Gallant.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

You can use this crudball picture I made a few years ago. Should be pretty easy to dissect the intentions with the colour.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

warmups from croquis cafe and a speedpainting from this photo.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

neonnoodle posted:

You're gonna have too many Gallants from this lot; check out this one for a nice Goofus:

It's 13 years old, and showcases all the pitfalls of a first-time digital painter very well. After pretty much only watercolours it was freaking great to have all those bright sweet colours and I want them ALL HERE. There were no line-width controlling features back then, or I couldn't get them to work. Pressure sensitivity only "told" the program how dark it should make the colour, so I didn't get the variance and freedom in the linework I wanted. I didn't know how to work layers very well, so it's obvious backgrounds make a small "stop" near the character. Shading with pretty much only black. Only using the digital paintbrush for that extra blobby soft colouring that leaves everything shapeless! Leaving the background with "holes" in when I didn't give them a background colour, showing white through. Not knowing a goddamn thing about colour theory, I tried to capture the feel I wanted with the colour scheme alone, didn't even think I might want to consider stuff like lighting or colour perspective or anything. A good bad example.

I still struggle with colours 'cause they're all so pretty.

Also, Humboldt Squid? I love your paprika-baby aaaah it makes me feel fuzzy inside. :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

neonnoodle posted:

Here is the very first thing I ever coloured in PhotoShop:

I didn't even have a tablet at that point, I was using a mouse and the "Gaussian Blur" tool. Also, I thought I could cheat my way through details by just slapping textures on top of everything, as you can see.

EDIT: And here's something I'm working on right now:

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 28, 2015

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

Here's a somewhat finished thing with lots of perspective and lighting issues from earlier this year... :D

Apso
May 30, 2008

Today's little piece. Been doing a lot of cats, dogs and rabbits lately.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Thank you for the submissions! Please don't hesitate to send something if you haven't already, but it may or may not be used in the final writeup.

Also, here is an art:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

:allears: yes!

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Thank you for the submissions! Please don't hesitate to send something if you haven't already, but it may or may not be used in the final writeup.
Here's some glowy hands you can use if you want. I made it on sunday for a music track called "Maybe there'll be sun"

This Columbo (or, How Not To Draw Hair) is about a month old. It's drawn after a photo though, so i don't know if it'll be useful? Anyway, i deliberately tried to mix it up a little so it's not too realistic, kind of a half-successful experiment. It's got all kinds of issues, but at least it's more interesting than my other from-photo stuff.

mjau fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 28, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Aaaaaa I love this! "Son we're old money and you're gonna grow up to be a lawyer like your dad!" "No dad pls I'm tired of this poo poo" :yayclod:

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
Apso: You're the best dude.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

peanut butter + toast

Apso
May 30, 2008

You're the best Cart. That's a weirdly intimate look at pizza but for the record I'm into it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ideas for next month?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Humboldt Squid posted:

Ideas for next month?

I wanna draw some food

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bitmap posted:

I wanna draw some food

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, I was gonna say food, too!!!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Haha goons

But yes, food please

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Food is good stuff, I eat food sometimes. New thread will be up later tonight\early tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

New thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717267

• Locked thread