Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Was she recently fixed? Takes time for hormones to die down.

My newest cat was a bit of a terror for the first few weeks. He was not well socialized before that, but what really happened was he had to be in a single room for 3 weeks due to illness and had to be in isolation from the other cat. He had WAY too much energy from being cooped up. The introduction went rough but then we had a break through and it was 90% better over night. I realized it was just the energy, not that he was truly aggressive. As soon as I got him out of that room for 24 continuous hours and he had regular stimulation he calmed down.

I find the Go Cat Mouse Catcher toy is truly great for burning off energy. You can get them to jump up and down on various things and run in circles. have a variety of self play toys too - I have one that loves crinkle balls where the other one loves pipe cleaners. Some cat nip can help actually calm some cats after they have a good kick session with the cat nip toy (others get a bit more crazy). I find the feliway diffusers do help, there's also some calming treats and sprays that can't hurt to try.

Do you free feed or do set meals? If set meals, do at least 2, if not 3. Often it's a hard transition for cats going from free feeding to meals and even vice versa. More frequent small meals which you condense over time might help.

3 am or 4 am demands for attention are a normal problem. Do a long play session right before you go to bed, every day.

Oh and he was terrible about being handled. I couldn't pick him up, so I didn't. To get him in the carrier I would just lure him close to it and walk him in. But over the past year I've worked with him and now I CAN pick him up and carry him. I still can't clip his nails myself, so I take him to a groomer or vet every month to clip his nails for me. Costs like $10-15. I highly recommend trying this first over the nail caps, as nail caps really only last 1-2 months before needing to be replaced.

Each cat is different, and handle stress and transitions differently. Kitty needs routine, security, and patience. Sounds like kitty needs outlets for the energy that she knows are safe. Sounds like she might be food insecure, perhaps from the change of feeding routine. Just design a good routine to address her needs she's expressing and keep to it. If you can't pet her the way you want to right now, try finding what her limits are. Can you do one ear scratch as you pass by? what about just putting your hand out for a smell and letting her choose to scent mark you? Eventually you'll understand her limits and you'll make progress as the trust between you guys build.

pandaid fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
It's going to work out, I can tell from the blissed out sleep picture. Just try to stop comparing to your childhood pets. The joy of this pet is building that relatioship, discovering her likes and dislikes, figuring out what makes her tick. If she gets bitey when being pet she's probably over stimulated. Just take her cues and stop the petting for a bit until her body language tells you she's relaxed again. Use toys where she can't accidentally tag you, and see how she likes to play and enjoy giving her the attention. Work on that routine to tire her out before bed, figure out the best feeding routine, etc. When's she more tired, she'll seek out cuddle time, just you see.

• Locked thread