Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So, I've been writing an OP. Well I say I've been writing it, actually I've just been uh, staring at this white box for literally like, 12 years. What can you say? What can you say. Some of you may have heard about last season. It made a lot of people uncomfortable, and it was just weird, and some people are all like "that's the worst thing he's done yet" and then some people were all "that's the best thing he's done yet". Let's see, he broke a model's eye, and then it turns out the whole season might have been a dream of real events or something pretentious like that.

I don't know what season 5 will be about, if it will keep being super weird or go back to the almost normal style of seasons 1-2 or the detached melodrama of season 3 or what. Or it will be something totally new and amazing, or it will suck. Whatever, just do it. A TV show is like a TV show OP. Just fuckin'... just do it, man! Nobody reads OPs anyway. So here you go. Talk about the show Louie and especially season 5 which premieres on April 9th on FX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Can someone explain to me the clunky pseudo-rape/actual rape storyline that went down last season? I saw some media response to it, but I really don't want to invest in watching that season if that's how it actually goes down.

It's actually a very small part of the season, most of the season is a French arthouse movie (Elevator parts 1-7).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the Woods parts 1 and 2 are the only episodes I didn't like much. The kid they got to play young Louie wasn't great and it was really lengthy for a fairly simple premise about how stealing is bad and drugs may or may not be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dangerous Person posted:

I loved Into the Woods. It was an hour of Louie coming to terms with the fact that his kids are growing up and worrying about them making the same adult mistakes he did at a young age.

I liked that aspect of it, I just didn't like the kid they got to play Young Louie and I thought it was overlong. Without commercials, In the Woods 1 & 2 clock in at about exactly one hour. When I did my rewatch and watched them back to back I really felt that length, which is weird because Elevator 1-7 is over twice as long but felt really short in comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still can't find a trailer that shows any actual scenes from the premiere or season, but I did just now find out the season is only 7 episodes long and that was apparently FX's decision, not his. :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

FX probably only keeps the show around for awards/critical buzz purposes. Sticking it behind this Billy Crystal/Josh Gad probable abortion makes that all the more clear.

Oh absolutely, and because they barely spend any money on it so the returns they get from Netflix and Blu-Ray sales undoubtedly cover it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

The scene was bad enough. What was worse was all the Reddit neckbeards justifying it.

What was even worse was all the people here saying the episode shouldn't be judged until the end of the season, because we haven't seen the full resolution yet, we don't know yet what he's trying to say, etc. Then when the season ends with them in a bathtub together, basically he wasn't saying anything, or at least not anything good, and suddenly those people go silent or come up with new justifications.

The whole thing was repugnant.

Mhm.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Are there really still people who don't understand that scene? Good god y'all.

The subtlety of putting a 10 minute standup routine about how horrible it is that men forcing themselves on women is so socially accepted there's a shirt named after it was lost on a surprisingly large number of people.

e: I know I can't make rules, but I can ask nicely that we table discussion of that scene/episode because I doubt it would go anywhere

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

Whelp, we didn't even make it to another page before two of the exact people I described rushed in to do exactly what I said they did. :suicide:

So what did you think of the premiere of Season 5, which is the topic of this thread? Or are you just here to start a fight?

e: I thought the intro bit about life on other planets was hilarious, don't know if that was a new routine or not, I haven't watched all his stand-up specials. Overall it was a good episode, and I actually preferred it to the premiere of season 4. That final shot of the banjo busker looking sad was great and tied the whole thing together with the opening about getting older and how that can be depressing and weird

precision fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 10, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I actually didn't come" is probably the hardest I've laughed at this show since season 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

And saying what he was doing was stupid isn't the same as saying it was wrong.

Seriously, can one of you explain why its so important to you to justify that scene? I'm dying to understand the thought process behind that. I just don't get it.

What he did in that scene was both stupid and wrong.

Filming that scene and including it in his television show was not stupid and wrong.

That's all.

e: Of note is that Pamela co-wrote that episode and is a producer of the show.

e2: It's almost like "Louie" and "Louis C.K." are not the same person

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Great episode, the Pamela scenes fit in nicely with last season. Despite being literally twice Pamela's size, Louie is still "dominated" by Pamela. The movie theater scene was hilarious. She challenges him to act like the big dumb man he tried to be last season and it just makes him feel humiliated and mocked.

The kid before/after changing his voice was an excellently concise summary of how comedy works (or doesn't work). Laughed out loud at the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The opening was a little heavy-handed but otherwise I liked the episode. Then again, I don't mind Rappaport.

"Ah, he don't care, he's Chinese" made me laugh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That ep was a slow roll but once I started laughing I didn't stop until it was over. Seriously as soon as he tells his daughters about getting beaten up by a girl through the Pamela scene and capped off by his brother laughing at him, perfect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fetus Tree posted:

Of all the things shes voiced how do you not mention she is Bobby Hill

Holy poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that episode made me really excited about Louis getting into making movies. His direction is great. I'm pretty sure what Jane said at the doctor is something I've said while on LSD. And now I'm :ohdear: that I'm gonna dream about that weird faced old man, God that was terrifying and hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I might be broken because everyone I know who saw this episode thought the tiny-eyed naked man was creepy and scary as hell, but I couldn't stop laughing every time he was on screen. When he suddenly jumped out of the darkness outside Louie's door I was laughing so hard I had to pause it. I'm still laughing just thinking about that scene.

I laughed out loud and also screamed inside when it showed up the first time. It was very confusing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I find it hard if not impossible to believe that Louis CK is some kind of ultra-influential monster to the point that other comedians would be afraid to tell the world he whips his dick out at people.

I mean if Bill Cosby can't keep a lid on it forever, I would think Louis would be destroyed about a week after it (allegedly) happened, you know?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So about the episode which I finally saw, I loved that opening. Even though I'm much closer to Louie's age than his daughter's age, I totally Google things while I'm watching them :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

olin posted:

Who gives a poo poo if Louie whipped out his dick in his own hotel room? Women should know that men are gonna get a sex vibe if they go back to their hotel rooms with them.

I'm just imagining that if these things actually did happen, every woman has just laughed at him and didn't feel remotely threatened.

It's even possible that he's shown the character Louie do exactly the sort of things he's been accused of because he knows he's done some really stupid poo poo.

Levels within levels

e: and like, it's well known that Fred Armisen is a massive rear end in a top hat to women, mentally abusing them for months/years at a time (including his ex-wife Elizabeth Moss), which he has ADMITTED, and which is probably way worse than "whipped dick out in a hotel room", but because it's seen as more "normal" to have messy relationships there isn't some big movement to get Portlandia thrown off the air or anything. Makes u think

precision fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I wanna cum on your retarded tits" might be the funniest thing I've heard all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess this was really just "half a season" and measured as such, it's fine. There's a good case to be made for every season from 1-4 being "the best one", I doubt anyone would try to argue that 5 is, even Louis. I look forward to what's next though, because this season did have some poo poo that felt like he was finally growing and confronting some of his biggest flaws.

• Locked thread