Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I finished the event and got Sephiroth today. Now to hope I can find him a decent weapon because upgrading and combining the katanas to a lovely 4* is still only +33 attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Turpitude posted:

I want to mention that the first difficult boss fight that will KO you is probably the Baron Castle one. The guy with the snake arms does massive damage if you kill him while his arms are still alive, which can result in KOs. And the boss on the next floor needs to be hit with lightning periodically to stop him from blasting your whole party with a tidal wave. He is also weak against ice.

Has anyone figured out if casting Cure on undead enemies damages them? I used it on the Siren after she went undead but it healed her... not sure if she swaps back and forth from living/dead though.

It does. I used Cure on undead in the ship graveyard and works like a charm just like in the original. I damaged Siren with Cure. Sure she was actually undead when you hit her with the spell?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

baram. posted:

I finished the event and got Sephiroth today. Now to hope I can find him a decent weapon because upgrading and combining the katanas to a lovely 4* is still only +33 attack.

What did your team look like?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

MarcusSA posted:

What did your team look like?

For the 60/65 floor bosses I gave Tyro a 4* Staff with Cura and Thunder, Cloud with a 3* weapon, Kain with a 4* axe + jump, Rydia with Thundara and Thunder, and Wakka with Boost and Salve.

for the last boss I used my normal Cloud + Kain + Tidus + Rydia + Tyro. I gave Tyro protect for that though in place of Blizzara.

Cloud/Rydia/Tyro/Kain were 29ish, Tidus was 20ish.

I think now I'm gonna level Sephiroth and run Cloud + Sephiroth + Kain + Tyro + Rydia since my Tidus is stuck with a crap weapon and I have a 15/15 4* Battle Axe I can give Tyro or just load him with a staff and make him a magic user.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Quick note for people focusing on the Shinra event: Remember it runs for 2 weeks so you can always stop to farm daily dungeons.

Yeah I ground out Tifa and now I'm working on levelling my party/grinding orbs for spells/honing before I go back in a week or so. I figure I can get everyone up to 30+ and have all my spells sorted/partially honed by then.

One tip you might want to mention is how easily farmable the 3* Black Cowl is from FFV Ship Graveyard normal. Drops semi-rarely off the end boss.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

Free Drinks posted:

Note to anyone that is about to do the third to last stage on the shinra building.

The boss of that one is the hundred gunner and his gimmick is you have to use ranged attacks to kill it. Meaning nothing melee will hit him. He sucks and it is dumb considering it takes 50 stam just to get to him. So build up some ranged waepons/magic users before you get there or you are in for a disappointing waste of time. (much like this game and all games like it :goonsay:)

How hard is this exactly? Is it enough to bring along rydia and the black Mage with thunder spells, wakka, and then cloud/Tidus to clear out the rest? 50 stamina is a lot to get to the end and find out you can't kill him.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Erdos posted:

How hard is this exactly? Is it enough to bring along rydia and the black Mage with thunder spells, wakka, and then cloud/Tidus to clear out the rest? 50 stamina is a lot to get to the end and find out you can't kill him.

I just posted above what I did for that. There's 2 Flying bosses but both are weak to thunder, luckily. I made it through fine with Rydia using a maxed 3* Whip and 3* Sage's Miter with just a Rank 2 Thunder and Rank 1 Thundara.

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 1, 2015

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Turpitude posted:

I want to mention that the first difficult boss fight that will KO you is probably the Baron Castle one. The guy with the snake arms does massive damage if you kill him while his arms are still alive, which can result in KOs. And the boss on the next floor needs to be hit with lightning periodically to stop him from blasting your whole party with a tidal wave. He is also weak against ice.

The boss fight in FFIV is horrible too. Goddamnit, Game. :saddowns:

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug
The level 60 boss can be targeted by jump attacks and Kain's double jump. Sadly this wasn't enough for my unit, just created and honed Thundara to try again in a bit. My team is all in the high 20s with garbage equipment and other than this boss I haven't had any trouble in the Shinra event so far. I don't think anyone needs to really worry about the difficulty of the event, just keep grinding out stages until you can't anymore. Stamina refreshes so fast I'm not even bummed out at having to spend another 50 to tackle this dungeon. In my old PAD days that'd be 6 hours of waiting to try again, now I'm good to at least start the first level after 30 minutes.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Level 24 party no thundara but 4 star chakram on Tyro give me your ganbares I'm going into the 60 boss fight!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I just skimmed the wiki but aren't there two ranged-only bosses? If you burn all your spells on the first it won't help progress any.

Thank god it's a nice long event so I have a ton of time.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So two things I found useful:

1. You only need to max level the piece of equipment that is being upgraded, not the equipment that being used as a material. Also, the material equipment doesn't need to be upgraded as well if you are going for your second additional star.

2. Though Elite Dungeons are generally for advanced teams, I found that if you have a glut of weapons for the particular area, doing the non-boss battles is fairly easy since your damage awesome, and you can get some great drops and experience. Just retreat when you're done since you won't be doing the boss.

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
Can I do anything against the range bosses with a Cloud and his buster sword? He went from doing 500 to 5000 damage and his killing everything in everything dungeon. Should I switch the sword to Kain and make him do jump? My party is around 20-29 range and I'm about to hit the first range guy.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Also the Jump skill is stronger for Kain than his Double Jump overdrive :(

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

baram. posted:

Also the Jump skill is stronger for Kain than his Double Jump overdrive :(

Yeah overdrives in general feel really weak. I'd rather Thunder Strike with Cloud than use his.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
E: ^^^^ Weapon overdrives seem to be a lot better. Braver hits for 9999 on a FF7 level.

Mog posted:

The level 60 boss can be targeted by jump attacks and Kain's double jump. Sadly this wasn't enough for my unit, just created and honed Thundara to try again in a bit. My team is all in the high 20s with garbage equipment and other than this boss I haven't had any trouble in the Shinra event so far. I don't think anyone needs to really worry about the difficulty of the event, just keep grinding out stages until you can't anymore. Stamina refreshes so fast I'm not even bummed out at having to spend another 50 to tackle this dungeon. In my old PAD days that'd be 6 hours of waiting to try again, now I'm good to at least start the first level after 30 minutes.

Can Cloud use Jump? I don't want to blow my thunder mats on it if I can't put it on him. He hits for around 8k with the buster sword and boost on so I'm hoping between that and a honed thundara I should be able to cheese it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jibo posted:

Can Cloud use Jump? I don't want to blow my thunder mats on it if I can't put it on him. He hits for around 8k with the buster sword and boost on so I'm hoping between that and a honed thundara I should be able to cheese it.

Jump is a Dragoon skill, so at present only Tyro and Kain can use it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

baram. posted:

Hoard your mithril and hope that on the 4th we get a rate up and Masamune (or whatever Katana) for Sephiroth in the machine then pull and pray. I'm sitting on my mithril for now hoping for that.

Solkanar512 posted:

2. Though Elite Dungeons are generally for advanced teams, I found that if you have a glut of weapons for the particular area, doing the non-boss battles is fairly easy since your damage awesome, and you can get some great drops and experience. Just retreat when you're done since you won't be doing the boss.

You can do this for daily dungeons as well. It's a lot more tedious than just autobattling one level lower, but being able to farm drops from hard dungeons means possibly getting some 3 star skills and spells together. I might try Mana Stronghold - Hard just to see if it rarely drops 4 star orbs since normal is dropping 3 stars occasionally*.

*The fight I just did gave me 2 minor power orbs, 1 lesser power orbs, and 2 black orbs. :yayclod:

e:

Jibo posted:

E: ^^^^ Weapon overdrives seem to be a lot better. Braver hits for 9999 on a FF7 level.

It can vary. On the Japan version the 5 star Katana I have on Cloud has an elemental strike and does less damage than his default unless it's hitting an elemental weakness.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 1, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Question for anyone playing the JP version, do capped characters still consume their share of the XP? Any numbers on how that shakes out?

Trying to decide whether to let Cloud solo for a while to power level others or just keep grinding with my usual full party.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BGrifter posted:

Question for anyone playing the JP version, do capped characters still consume their share of the XP? Any numbers on how that shakes out?

Trying to decide whether to let Cloud solo for a while to power level others or just keep grinding with my usual full party.

Just take your party in to the level 3 (or 4 if you can manage it) XP dungeon with the low level character and he'll be up to par in no time. Also don't forget the current event there has that weird tomestone/tablet thing you use to get extra rewards, and the first/last day of the event is Growth Eggs. If you can clear the 4th difficulty on the last day and get the 5 star eggs that's about half a million XP right there, and a bunch of other 3-4 star eggs will easily take a character up around 50. You could probably even just growth egg them to the low-mid 40s and they'd be fine unless you're taking them in to some EX dungeons and really need the character as close to 65 as possible.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So this is actually a good game? I saw an ad for this and was like "a freemium Final Fantasy game? No loving way. Skip."

Like is there actual stuff to do or is it simply a "check on while I'm pooping game"?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hoard your mithril and hope that on the 4th we get a rate up and Masamune (or whatever Katana) for Sephiroth in the machine then pull and pray. I'm sitting on my mithril for now hoping for that.

That's what I was hoping once I saw the Tifa one ends the 4th.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So this is actually a good game? I saw an ad for this and was like "a freemium Final Fantasy game? No loving way. Skip."

Like is there actual stuff to do or is it simply a "check on while I'm pooping game"?

It's basically a Final Fantasy Greatest Hits Battle Simulator.

No story worth paying attention to, no world map. Just grinding battles, fighting bosses, recruiting people from all the games.

I like it because it respects the history just enough to make it interesting. Like the FF6 snail boss pops up, and if you attack his shell he bolts your rear end

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just take your party in to the level 3 (or 4 if you can manage it) XP dungeon with the low level character and he'll be up to par in no time. Also don't forget the current event there has that weird tomestone/tablet thing you use to get extra rewards

I'm not sure what you mean by the tomestone/tablet thing?

The rest sounds great. My party is currently in the low to mid 20s and I hope to have them approaching 30 by the time Sunday and the XP dungeon arrives. Assuming mostly 3-4 star weapons and a few key abilities like Thunder Strike/Thundara/Cura/Boost/Jump would the level 4 one be worth considering trying?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

James Totes posted:

Level 24 party no thundara but 4 star chakram on Tyro give me your ganbares I'm going into the 60 boss fight!

RIP

Rydia dies instantly, no one can cure besides the two who are doing damage, everyone else is dead weight. Thunder strike from Cloud does nothing. Bought Thundara but it seems to be a level issue.

Doesn't help that after a few attacks he falls back on using only the main cannon, which does 200-300 to everyone. And I can't DPS race without healers, even with the 4 star chakram boosted.

So it's either grind, or grind up Wakka, or pray Rydia's Thundara's do enough before she bites it immediately.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Fortunately we have a little more than ten days to grind. It shouldn't be a problem to pack on a bunch of levels and have a bunch of abilities honed once before the event ends.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BGrifter posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by the tomestone/tablet thing?

The rest sounds great. My party is currently in the low to mid 20s and I hope to have them approaching 30 by the time Sunday and the XP dungeon arrives. Assuming mostly 3-4 star weapons and a few key abilities like Thunder Strike/Thundara/Cura/Boost/Jump would the level 4 one be worth considering trying?

It's the non-Golbez/Tellah event in the Japanese version currently. You use some tomestone as part of the event to unlock additional rewards for clearing a level.

As for the level 4 daily dungeons, they will destroy a level 30ish party with 3-4 star gear. The normal enemies tend to have a few thousand HP minimum and can do over 1k to a level 50+ character with 5 star armor pretty often. I pretty much go through it using nothing but 3 star skills for all my attacks which in some cases still doesn't one shot an enemy. I'm pretty sure the level 4 dailies were made with level 50+ parties in mind as they were added a few months after launch and usually drop 3-4 star orbs. If I were to autobattle a level 4 daily I'd probably get wiped out before finishing the first 3 waves, while my same party can autobattle level 3s and are at zero risk of dying to damage unless I go AFK for 5-10 minutes and forget to turn on auto battle first.

(If you aren't playing on the japanese version and I misunderstood you disregard all this)

e: vvvvv Wakka can use the Chakram you get from normal dungeons, the Bard can use the harp. There's also a 4 star bow but I think that's the Master reward for the Baron Castle fight and Baigan is going to be hell on earth in that fight. IIRC he's something like 25-30k HP, maybe more, and last time I cleared it a single 9999 ice strike from Cloud didn't kill an arm at the start of the fight and the other arm exploded for over 7k damage to Cloud when Baigan died. :gonk:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 1, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So other than jump and spells, are there any skills that hit these ranged bosses?

And who can use ranged weapons? So far I've only seen Tyro using them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Gave it a shot. Seems simple enough. Not a big cell phone game player so we'll see how long this'll stay on my phone.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So is the advice to go ahead and blow mythril trying to get some 3+ star items, or save up about 50 mythril so you can get the extra draw? I'm closing in on finishing the FFVI stuff, and my best weapon is still the 3-star weapon I got when I started the game. Everybody else is using whatever 2-star weapons the levels have parcelled out, and I'm still wearing some 1-star armor.

I feel like I'm gimping my ability to farm for better drops, abilities, and EXP, but knowing my luck I'd only get a bunch of 3-star gear (oh god don't give me a 3-star musical instrument).

Edit:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So other than jump and spells, are there any skills that hit these ranged bosses?

Wakka and the Ranger can use some ranged weapons, at the very least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wakka and the Ranger, that's about it.

I don't know if instruments count as ranged weapons but if they do then I guess the Bard as well (don't use the Bard).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

(If you aren't playing on the japanese version and I misunderstood you disregard all this)

I'm not, thus my confusion. :D I was just asking about the JP version cause I'm pretty sure no one in the NA version has any level 50s yet to know how XP distribution with a capped character plus a low level partner works.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Burned all my Mythril and only got 3-star stuff. That's gonna be tough going on. Plus one's a staff (fairly useless) and I've got three 3-star daggers now. Well at least Kain got a spear and Rydia a rod (not sure how useful the rod is though).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Wakka and the Ranger can use some ranged weapons, at the very least.

Then I'm guessing the best strategy for these 60/65 Shinra bosses is to level Wakka (ranged weapon/support), Rydia (black magic/summon), Tyro (ranged weapon/black magic), Kain (jump/?), and ... white mage (healing)? Also, farm the mana stone daily (normal) to hone Thundara/Jump?

I've built my team around melee attacks with good enough success to this point, but this ranged boss may turn out to be complicated. Good thing there's a while to get past it.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Argh, can't do FFX hard mode either quite yet. First boss w/ the sinspawns is unmanagable with my armor. Maybe I'll level that next...

So I guess I'm back to grinding the orb dungeon for orbs for jump. Maybe try hard. Then I'll jump in for another go at 60+ shinra.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a word of warning if it hasn't been brought up, but on like floor 60 there's a boss who is just flat out immune to all physical attacks. This includes spellblade attacks. I swapped out my cures for magic because it doesn't hit hard and am about to give it a second try.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Okay so today's Mana Stronghold daily is the real deal. I got plenty of Lesser Power, White, and Black orbs just as promised (unlike yesterday's which never gave me any Lessers despite those being the featured item). I think it's probably worth pausing in the event dungeon to take advantage of this.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm going to try 60 here once I get my energy built up.

I've got everyone at 29. My plan for the bosses is Tyro with a 4 star staff and a 6 use Thunder and Rydia with a 3 star rod and two base level Thundaras. She has a 5 star robe but because this game is really stupid some times, it only boosts defense and resistance (by a lot though). I'll give that a shot and then bring in Kain with Jump if it doesn't work.

It looks like Tyro can use the buster sword and jump so maybe I'll give that a shot too.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Burned all my Mythril and only got 3-star stuff. That's gonna be tough going on. Plus one's a staff (fairly useless) and I've got three 3-star daggers now. Well at least Kain got a spear and Rydia a rod (not sure how useful the rod is though).

I'm in the same boat as you. But don't worry, having a lot of 3* gear will still pay off because you can eventually capitalize on their synergy bonuses.

Edit: Drew yet another 3* immediately after replying to you. :v:

Nuebot posted:

So a word of warning if it hasn't been brought up, but on like floor 60 there's a boss who is just flat out immune to all physical attacks. This includes spellblade attacks. I swapped out my cures for magic because it doesn't hit hard and am about to give it a second try.

To clarify, he's immune to close range physical attacks. Harps, bows, Jump, and thrown weapons work I believe. Whips might work too, but I haven't confirmed that.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finally decided to take on Elite dungeons now that I'm in my low 20s and I'm kinda steamrolling through non-boss fights at least. Plus I'm getting level 2- and 3- star orbs, which is good.

Guard Scorpion just loves to raise his tail right after I input commands for four guys. :v:

• Locked thread