Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nickoten posted:

Okay so today's Mana Stronghold daily is the real deal. I got plenty of Lesser Power, White, and Black orbs just as promised (unlike yesterday's which never gave me any Lessers despite those being the featured item). I think it's probably worth pausing in the event dungeon to take advantage of this.

Yeah it's awesome. I'm up to about a dozen 3* orbs from doing Normal today, plus a ton of Lessers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Gonna grind ship graveyard for black robe for rydia then get jump and will try again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finally decided to take on Elite dungeons now that I'm in my low 20s and I'm kinda steamrolling through non-boss fights at least. Plus I'm getting level 2- and 3- star orbs, which is good.

Guard Scorpion just loves to raise his tail right after I input commands for four guys. :v:

He does it after his third attack. I usually have everyone guard after his second.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah it's awesome. I'm up to about a dozen 3* orbs from doing Normal today, plus a ton of Lessers.

Am I doing it wrong then, because I seem to be getting mostly 1* orbs and only a small number of 2* and rarely a 3* orb.

Nuebot posted:

He does it after his third attack. I usually have everyone guard after his second.

That's good to know, I'll probably go back once I bulk up on Stamina again. There are some really good mastery rewards for some of these.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Rolled a 5* Judgement Staff with Mithril, unfortunately Rydia can't use staves for some reason. Should I give it to Tyro to boost his magic or keep him on the harp so he can damage effectively from the back row?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Still couldn't beat him. Turns out he not only has a lot of HP, but sometimes he just decides to sit back and spam his AOE non-stop. My earlier attempt against him had him using only his useless single-target attack. It'd be kind of nice if there way some way to tell what actually was classified as "ranged" or not.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mischalaniouse posted:

Rolled a 5* Judgement Staff with Mithril, unfortunately Rydia can't use staves for some reason. Should I give it to Tyro to boost his magic or keep him on the harp so he can damage effectively from the back row?

The harp doesn't really kick out that much damage. You're better off letting your three melee dudes do the leg work and saving him to blast the bosses with magic in my opinion.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Am I doing it wrong then, because I seem to be getting mostly 1* orbs and only a small number of 2* and rarely a 3* orb.

Probably not, I've been off all day and out shopping so I've been able to burn my stamina before it caps since 7am when I woke up. Wouldn't get anywhere near this many runs on a normal work day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gave Cloud a Defender(FF4 3 star sword) and the Light Staff to Tyro with Cure and Fire and then Thunder/Thundara to Rydia and just got a Master clear on Waterway expert, since Cloud did over 5k per hit with thunder strike and boost then 2k with ice strike after that. Rydia's now got a 4* rod, but it's only 5/15 because I burned most of my weapon xp fodder on the staff. It's still a 27 Mag boost over a Rod++ though. Time for floor 60. :science:

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug
In case anyone was wondering, the Aim ability won't let you bypass the no melee weapons restriction.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Got bored grinding for black robe, now doing daily. Where can I get a two star wind orb for jump?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Welp, I decided to pull for a relic for the hell of it and I got... Tifa's 5* glove. Guess I'm using her! :buddy:

She's pulling 9999s with Somersault, as expected, whereas everyone but Cloud is struggling to break four digits. The very concept of the Hundred Gunner makes me mildly ill, since I haven't been leveling any of my mages (Current party is Kain/Tidus/Wakka/Cloud/Tifa, with Wakka and his crappy Chakram being the weak link that gets stuck with buffing) and my party is averaging about 20 right now... :ohdear: Where's a Long Range Materia when you need one?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah my team could not drop the gunner with 4 Thunders and 4 Thundaras. At least I have 10 days to farm up some better magic gear and raise up Black Mage I guess.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Even doing 2k with Rydia's Thundara thanks to a 4 star staff, that ended horribly. How many HP does this fucker have?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm in the same boat, no mages. But I've got jump on Kain (although I haven't honed it and dont expect to be able to any time soon. Need wind and power orbs) thunder and thundara on Tyro, Wakka has an Elven bow and Tyro has a dark bow.

I'm gonna hone thundara after the Thursday daily dungeon and then go for it. Hope the others can be damage sponges I guess.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Why even bother trying right now? If you do pretty much anything for the next week you're going to gain levels, and the dungeon is here for ten more days. Save your stamina, go do something productive like farm orbs or XP.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Jibo posted:

Yeah my team could not drop the gunner with 4 Thunders and 4 Thundaras. At least I have 10 days to farm up some better magic gear and raise up Black Mage I guess.

May I ask what your caster's magic stat was? I'm trying to figure out whether I should attempt it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Why even bother trying right now? If you do pretty much anything for the next week you're going to gain levels, and the dungeon is here for ten more days. Save your stamina, go do something productive like farm orbs or XP.

Figured I could see what kind of numbers I was doing and then take it from there. I wont be trying again for a few days but now I know that my Rydia was doing well and my Tyro, not so much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I beat it using a strategy someone in the old topic posted about. I gave Weedgoku the buster sword and Jump. Killed the drat thing in one hit. Turns out it only has like 8k health or something.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
E: ^^^^ WELP should have tried that in the first place I guess.

Nickoten posted:

May I ask what your caster's magic stat was? I'm trying to figure out whether I should attempt it.

Rydia is at 96 and was doing the Thundara's and Tyro is at a measly 64 and was doing the Thunders. Thundara was hitting for about 1600-1800 and Thunder for 300-400. The previous boss had somewhere north of 10k health so I'm guessing this one is somewhere around there unless they reduced its health to make up for the ranged attacks only thing.

I'm pretty sure I could pull it off if I brought in the Black Mage and put Jump and the buster sword on Tyro but I'm not entirely sure I'd make it to the boss with that set up.

It's also worth mentioning that with Rydia in the back row and 78 defense, 126 evade she barely survived long enough to get her Thundaras off but I think I may have had bad luck with the attacks the boss was throwing out.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think I'll be fine with stacking Thundara and Thunder on Rydia and having someone else Boost Wakka. The party's approaching level 30 so that's pretty good right?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In the off chance anyone tries to fight the boss using thunder strike on Tyro with a ranged weapon let me know if it works. I'll add it to the list for tips to toss in the OP if so.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

In the off chance anyone tries to fight the boss using thunder strike on Tyro with a ranged weapon let me know if it works. I'll add it to the list for tips to toss in the OP if so.

It does work. I used an elven bow+ with thunderstrike.

Edit: Sephiroth is pretty drat powerful. Leveled him up to 20 with eggs and he's already got as much attack as a level 30 Tidus using similar weapons.

jerkstores fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 2, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just got this installed tonight and seem to be rolling pretty good. What's the difficulty like on the Tifa boss?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Should I go with a Bomb or Chocobo for my summoning ability?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Toshimo posted:

Just got this installed tonight and seem to be rolling pretty good. What's the difficulty like on the Tifa boss?

Level 15-20 party should be able to get there without trouble.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Out of 5 rare draws I've gotten 3 Genji Helms :psyduck:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Killing Vector posted:

Out of 5 rare draws I've gotten 3 Genji Helms :psyduck:

I wish. I've gotten a 3-star sword and a 3-star hammer. Who even uses hammers except Tyro? Useless.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've gotten some 4* axes, which has gone nicely. Experimenting with a bow on Tyro over one, seems... okay? I'm running him as my healer/debuffer currently.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good thing I have a chakram with half decent stats lying around for that ranged only boss

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
This game is pretty easy even without spending any Mythril. I'm holding out for 50 so I can get the 11 rolls, but I'm already ridiculous enough to make it through most of Shinra Tower. (Got stuck at the Hundred Gunner, so farming up Dark Attack, some lightning spells, and a decent rod for Rydia before I swing back through there.) I can't wait to see how bonkers it is once you get a couple of 5 star items.

If you can handle it, Shinra Floor 40 is the best xp/stam in the game outside of the EXP dungeons, and 39 is right behind it. You need to run 35-39 before you get one shot at 40, I haven't done the math on whether it's more efficient to hit 40 right away or hang out on 39 forever yet, but I think it favors doing full runs.

This game is amazing and I'm ecstatic that DeNA appears to have basically nailed this license. Why yes, I do want an FF game which is entirely about munchkining out all of my characters. That's all I ever did in FF anyway.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tifa owns.

Also, my Cloud doesn't have the buster sword, what should I do?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I made one of the katanas that the Shinra event gives into a 3 star and threw it on him, saving the last one for Sephiroth.

It's alright.

Edit: For grinding, I've been doing the Underground Waterway South/North. They give 2.5k Normal exp and are easy to mastery for 5k EXP per 13 stamina. Pretty efficient.

James Totes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 2, 2015

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Where can I get wind orbs other than a daily dungeon? I just need a couple more but I don't wanna wait around until next week.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BrainDance posted:

Where can I get wind orbs other than a daily dungeon? I just need a couple more but I don't wanna wait around until next week.

Out of the FF6 dungeons, Narshe and Imperial Camp give 2* Wind Orbs sometimes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

James Totes posted:

Edit: For grinding, I've been doing the Underground Waterway South/North. They give 2.5k Normal exp and are easy to mastery for 5k EXP per 13 stamina. Pretty efficient.

The Normal Wednesday dungeons mastered give 2500ish XP each for 5 stamina per run, plus orbs.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Any tips for Vargas on Mt Kolts? He destroys me with Gale Cut and I can't seem to output enough damage. I assume I should just level more but does anyone have a recommended ability/composition and level for him?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

MotU posted:

Any tips for Vargas on Mt Kolts? He destroys me with Gale Cut and I can't seem to output enough damage. I assume I should just level more but does anyone have a recommended ability/composition and level for him?

The bears are vulnerable to fire, it helps clear them ASAP. After that it's just a matter of rushing Vargas down in a DPS race. If you're taking too much damage, level up a bit or get better gear!

Beat Underground Waterway, but didn't master it. I just didn't have enough DPS to avoid taking the scores of time/damage taken, unfortunately. Even with perfect mastery of the other zones. Damnit!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I like this game, but as someone with very limited time at the moment the stamina system is rough. Higher level stuff just takes so much stamina for each stage and I can't play in small chunks throughout the day to make the most of the regeneration. Needing to be online to play doesn't help either since I could probably steal a few minutes to burn through my stamina at work but there's absolutely no reception in the bathroom there.

Considering how little content there is at the moment that's probably for the best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah the stamina cost for the higher levels is really burning my rear end, especially since there's no way to fill stamina other than the first time/mastery mana stones and premium currency.

Spend a few minutes doing 3 levels then wait 2 hours to do it again.

• Locked thread