Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Klungar posted:

Should I take the time to grind some Protect Vest/Black Robes for my team before continuing on with the story after unlocking those zones or should I keep doing story stuff to build up my Stamina/get more XP?

e: Alternatively, should I grind Figaro to get my Lesser Lightnings so I can get some of these Thundara/Thunder Strikes people are talking about?

I found that the Shinra HQ dungeon gives both Lesser Lightnings at a decent rate at the higher levels, and you get two to three Protect Vests on the way as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Klungar posted:

e: Alternatively, should I grind Figaro to get my Lesser Lightnings so I can get some of these Thundara/Thunder Strikes people are talking about?

By all means you want the Elemental Strikes, especially if you've got a decent weapon on Cloud. It basically makes him outdamage Rydia nine times out of ten and makes it so you don't have to keep her fragility in the party if you don't want. That may change later on in the game, but for now, physical attack is king.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Probably a really obvious thing but don't forget you can stick Boost in the second slot on Cloud then have him Boosting Kain on the ranged bosses. Better than him just sitting there doing nothing.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Of what I can spend my minor summoning orbs on... is there anything worth getting?

I am forseeing picking up Dagger or Yuna when they come out so I'm planning around that a bit. (Hopefully with a better limit break than Rydia)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ApplesandOranges posted:

I found that the Shinra HQ dungeon gives both Lesser Lightnings at a decent rate at the higher levels, and you get two to three Protect Vests on the way as well.

If I'm in the 16-17 level range, how far could I realistically get in the Shinra dungeon?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BGrifter posted:

Probably a really obvious thing but don't forget you can stick Boost in the second slot on Cloud Tidus then have him Boosting Kain on the ranged bosses. Better than him just sitting there doing nothing.

Fixed that. Cloud can't equip Support skills like Boost and Salve. Neither can Kain or Tifa. Both Tidus and Wakka can, though Wakka is generally going to want to be attacking during that fight, for what little it can do.

wall monitor posted:

Of what I can spend my minor summoning orbs on... is there anything worth getting?

I am forseeing picking up Dagger or Yuna when they come out so I'm planning around that a bit. (Hopefully with a better limit break than Rydia)

Bomb is better than Goblin, and both are better per-use than the lowest level Black Magic, but both fall short of the -ara spells from what little I've seen. Plus there's that whole "one use per level" thing as opposed to Black Magic's two.

Klungar posted:

If I'm in the 16-17 level range, how far could I realistically get in the Shinra dungeon?

As long as you have an okay weapon on Cloud, you could probably get Tifa with no issues.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 2, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Klungar posted:

You can get up to Tifa at the very least I believe. Beyond that I'm not too sure, since I was around 20 when I started it. Gut instinct says you should be able to push to floor 45/50 at the very least.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I'm around this level, and beat the first ranged boss just barely (it took out both Tyro and Wakka, though I think I still had a Thundara and four Thunders left). Could you post some information about your team? Like, say, what Rydia's magic and defense was at, and what Tyro's attack was at?

Yeah. The battles were short enough that I could count the HP, too.

Hundred Gunner had 8-9k~ HP. Tyro had a 4 star Charkram, some minor + attack boosting 3 star, a power wrist, was boosted by Tius, and each of his Thunder Strikes did 1.5k-2k~ each.

Rydia has a 1 star rod and some awful armor. Her Thundaras did 1.1k~ each. Her Magic damage wasn't that high.

Kain had a 3 star javelin and power wrist with a protect verst on. Jumps did 1k~.

Two rounds dropped him.

For the second boss, who seemed to have 13-15k~, it got harder because I don't have level 2 gems so Tyro quickly had to go into regular attacks for a (boosted) 700 each while Kain got just enough limit to do two double jumps as Rydia tossed out 500~ dmg thunders.

Hundred Gunner isn't bad since he'll do one big attack, but once his turn comes up again he'll be so low he'll only use the AoE attack, so just hope Rydia doesn't instantly die from the get-go.

Heli-Gunner, on the other hand, can be a pain but luckily he spread his 400~dmg autoattacks out so nobody died.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Are Harps long range? I seem to remember them being so in IV. Just wondering if I can slap that on Tyro along with Lightning Strike or whatever or if I need to grind up a bow or boomerang or something.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Harps are long range, but the Silver Harp's damage is pretty rear end even for being a 3*.

Jump is also long-range, so if you happened to have gotten either of the rate-up relics (the Buster Sword or the Grand Glove) then just slap one of those + Jump on Tyro and have him ride the synergy bonus into obscene damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think the problem with the long-range bosses is that the game doesn't seem to give you any guaranteed long-range weapons worth a drat. A 2* chakram probably won't cut it.

Blew all my mythril on draws last night, and got all terrible 3* weapons, most of which can't be used by anyone worth having. *sigh* I need some 4* weapons, or at least some 3* armor.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gegil posted:

40th Floor Boss is Resistant to Lightning. It has two parts (like Baigan, but only one arm). The arm(?) resurrects if killed and seems to be the primary attacker. It is vulnerable to ALL status effects, however. Sleep, again, may be a good idea.

Re: Shinra 40F

It's actually a boss and 3 adds and the adds auto-res. It's also an extreme step up from the previous floors/bosses. Sleeping the boss doesn't get you much since it wakes up as soon as you hit it.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Beat Shinra Tower. Had to use a Mythril to redo the Rufus fight because Rydia got one shot by a trash mob and it made me lose. Didn't get mastery bonus but I did get a 3 star summoning orb, which was nice.

Sephiroth unlocked, at least. Can redo it later for a mastery.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
:siren: Tip/info stuff added for the OP. Feel free to mention things I forgot or overlooked.

Nephzinho posted:

So even if there are better Stamina::XP places, is there any reason not to grind the difficulty appropriate Daily dungeon for orbs/eggs/etc so that you're getting more than just an xp return on your stamina?

If you can grind the normal daily dungeon, or better yet 1-2 levels of hard, do that instead IMO. Even if the XP is a bit slower it doesn't matter because you're getting lots of orbs for 2-3 star skills and if you get a team setup with a bunch of 2-3 star skills that have 4-6 uses each you're going to have the firepower to murder lots of stuff.

Nickoten posted:

I'm around this level, and beat the first ranged boss just barely (it took out both Tyro and Wakka, though I think I still had a Thundara and four Thunders left). Could you post some information about your team? Like, say, what Rydia's magic and defense was at, and what Tyro's attack was at?

My setup was on a level 30-32 team of Cloud/Tidus/Kain/Tyro/Rydia.

Tidus on Boost duty for Kain and Tyro (:laugh:)
Tyro had the harp and Thunder Strike
Kain had a 3 star dagger and Jump (2 uses)
Rydia has the Light Rod from clearing waterway expert/master. It's only 6/15 but it has 49 MAG. Its Soul Break (boost user's Magic) is Black Mage only and probably just makes him on par with Rydia's superior Magic stat.

Tidus boosted Tyro the round before the floor 60 boss, then Kain once the boss fight started. Thundara was doing nearly 3k and Thunder Strike was around 1k. I think the fight took 2 rounds, maybe 3?

Rydia still can't compete with Cloud though. Unboosted, he can thunder strike something for 1800-1900 that she thundara's for about 1400-1600. Boosted, Cloud does around 2.8k to the same enemy (the golems in today's daily dungeon hard levels).

KataraniSword posted:

Harps are long range, but the Silver Harp's damage is pretty rear end even for being a 3*.

Jump is also long-range, so if you happened to have gotten either of the rate-up relics (the Buster Sword or the Grand Glove) then just slap one of those + Jump on Tyro and have him ride the synergy bonus into obscene damage.

Harps, like Tyro, suffer from being spread evenly across multiple things. I have the harp on him but after I clear the event dungeon I'll probably give him the Light Staff and let him club stuff with it while tossing out Cure/Boost as needed.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Recently picked the game up off the App Store, it's definitely a lot better than some of the other freemium offerings that Squeenix has shat out in the past. Also realized that the MC (you) is more a punchy guy than a magic user. Can maybe do a QUARTER to a half of Black Mage's Magical damage. Too bad I haven't grinded enough to get physical abilities for my party yet! Also Tidus wrecks poo poo hard.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Got a Judgement Staff 5* Relic. I don't really use any Staff users though. Should I just stick it on Tyro and turn him into a Healer?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

MotU posted:

Got a Judgement Staff 5* Relic. I don't really use any Staff users though. Should I just stick it on Tyro and turn him into a Healer?

That's what I would do for harder content since White Mage is kinda bad. I switch him around between a 4* Axe and 4* Staff depending on how basic the stuff i'm trying to clear is.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Time to debate who I find less useful, Rydia or Kain.

On one hand, Rydia can cast magic which is sometimes useful.

On the other had, magic seems super trashy and she dies in one hit to almost quite literally everything.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

James Totes posted:

Time to debate who I find less useful, Rydia or Kain.

On one hand, Rydia can cast magic which is sometimes useful.

On the other had, magic seems super trashy and she dies in one hit to almost quite literally everything.

Why not both? I dropped Tidus for Sephiroth and use Tyro as support if needed. Cloud/Sephiroth/Kain/Rydia/Tyro.

Once/If you get Kain a decent weapon and the Jump ability he's really strong. I got a 4* Axe from a Mythril Pull and he can routinely hit for 2000+ on non-flan mobs in Hard Daily.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Klungar posted:

I just got Tifa with a lvl 15 party and 1-3 stars equipment, so at least that far.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Pretty sure it has yet to be posted but http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/ is a pretty good resource for the game, seems like it's taking information from japanese sites.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I decided to drop 30 bucks on the game because I usually do as a kind of "thank you" to good freemium games that don't require you to spend money to advance. Did an 11 pull and got 10 3* items and 1 4*. Thanks for nothing, game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

James Totes posted:

Pretty sure it has yet to be posted but http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/ is a pretty good resource for the game, seems like it's taking information from japanese sites.

Looks like it's using English news but all the Japanese info, like the full character list from there:
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/?page_id=44
(I wish I had a better fist weapon for Sabin)

Adding it to the OP's links. I have no idea what Kongbakpao is. Apparently it's a gaming app?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This unit seems pretty hot:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Quick tip for those who don't know: You can skip all the stuipid animations for poo poo like Relic Draw, Combine Gear, Upgrade Gear, etc. by tapping on the screen once it starts.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looks like it's using English news but all the Japanese info, like the full character list from there:
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/?page_id=44
(I wish I had a better fist weapon for Sabin)

Adding it to the OP's links. I have no idea what Kongbakpao is. Apparently it's a gaming app?

There's also this here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uSobPRL4bAHlvGi6gB7DoKJCGodDPgTU0JTbploNcu0/htmlview?sle=true

A list of Orb Drop locations.

Yes, I'm unabashedly stealing from BlueGartr. No, I don't care.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Toshimo posted:

This unit seems pretty hot:

I think we need to see what he can equip before we know what kind of flavor he adds to a party. :v:

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Given the way he works in the game he comes from, sword user with heavy armor.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kimahri also turned into whatever a Kimarimasu is.

I'd have a hard time picking a party of five from that. Probably Steiner, Sabin, Snow/Red XIII, Dagger/Selphie because healer, and Golbez/Vivi. If mages weren't lackluster I'd probably drop Red.

I'm perturbed Golbez has such low Strength (although decent enough for a mage). He's a big muscular warlock!

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Anyone got tips for mastering floor 70? The floor 70 boss keeps chewing through my team so I kept getting Novice, which only gives me a silver.

I've mastered every other set of floors. I tried Dark Strike on Tidus, but I didn't get a Blind on the main boss at all.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 3, 2015

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Uuugh I cannot beat Zanarkand Elite for the life of me. It has soooooo much HP and having to keep a singlesinspawn up with 400-500 dmg Spines each round is killing me, on top of the gravity that constantly saps HP.

I tried just AoEing them down but they keeeep cooooming.

mikon
Apr 5, 2009
How do I get a 4* Kazekiri ? I've done 2* Kazekiri + 2* Kazekiri = 3* Kazekiri
But going further 3* Kazekiri + 2* Kazekiri still equals 3* Kazekiri ( but level 15)

Do I have to make two 3* Kazekiris and combine them? Somehow I've got a 4* sonic knuckle but I'm fairly sure I only combined 3 items to get it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mikon posted:

But going further 3* Kazekiri + 2* Kazekiri still equals 3* Kazekiri ( but level 15)

Do I have to make two 3* Kazekiris and combine them? Somehow I've got a 4* sonic knuckle but I'm fairly sure I only combined 3 items to get it.

Does it actually work like that with higher * items? I combined a 2x 1*s and got a 2* then combined that with another 1* to get a 3*.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samba De Amigo posted:

Anyone got tips for mastering floor 70? The floor 70 boss keeps chewing through my team so I kept getting Novice, which only gives me a silver.

I've mastered every other set of floors. I tried Dark Attack on Tidus, but I didn't get a Blind on the main boss at all.

I haven't mastered it yet but I hear if you blind Rufus he rarely hits. I'm pretty sure you can only do that with dark strike though.

I punked him but he killed Tyro and that was enough to gently caress up my mastery.

Mog
Nov 23, 2006

Pillbug

mikon posted:

The level/*s of the 2nd item doesn't matter when you combine items. 3* items only go up to level 10, so if your item is not at 4* you may have accidentally upgraded instead of combining, or possibly combined them in the wrong order (using the 3* to upgrade the 2*). If you have a 3* item that goes up to level 15 then you might have a glitch, I'm looking at a 4* 15/15 Kazekiri on my phone right now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Snagged a Black Cowl! I feel like there have to be good equipment drops from most of the bosses, but I guess Siren's is the only one that was super noteworthy?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Something to keep in mind:

Blind works on a lot of bosses. So does Poison. Make Dark Attack and Poison. Seriously.

Sometimes, though, it whiffs, or the boss picks the wrong target, or Rydia insults its mom and it just goes ham on her, or whatever.

When that happens, force quit the game. You'll restart at the beginning of the last round you fought (so, the beginning of the boss fight, for example). It feels a little like cheating but gently caress it I'm not waiting to regain 50 stam so I can have another try at Mastering Octomammoth. (That's how I got my Light Rod.)

Currently finishing up Shinra Tower, two rounds from Sephiroth.

Other tips: for the two no-melee bosses, put Silver Harp on Tyro and give him Lightning Strike. Give Rydia Thundara and Thunder. Consider putting Protect on Tyro for Rydia (you'll have to drop Lit Strike, under no circumstances should Tyro not be packing Cura). Rydia is the key to those fights and you need her alive.

ed: Rydia is seriously bonkers with a Light Rod. Go get one from Underground Waterway Elite. You've got over a week to finish this event, don't rush it.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 3, 2015

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Toshimo posted:

Re: Shinra 40F

It's actually a boss and 3 adds and the adds auto-res. It's also an extreme step up from the previous floors/bosses. Sleeping the boss doesn't get you much since it wakes up as soon as you hit it.

Thanks for the update. I'll go back and fix my post

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Got a 4* Axe for Kain. Kain. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

force quit the game. You'll restart at the beginning of the last round you fought (so, the beginning of the boss fight, for example). It feels a little like cheating but gently caress it I'm not waiting to regain 50 stam so I can have another try at Mastering Octomammoth. (That's how I got my Light Rod.)

I haven't put this in the OP because I don't know if DeNA would ever actually try to act against it, but if your phone crashes a few... dozen times in a fight well, what can you do? :shrug:

I've had my phone crash 3x in a row on a boss's death animation before though and that truly sucks.

• Locked thread