Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Here's an interview with Jonny Tudor.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/tenpole-tudor

quote:

And don’t worry about post-debate polls – instead, BuzzFeed News caught up with The Tude afterwards to get the real verdict.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Tudor wants to be a politician when he’s older.

He’s planning to study politics and history at the University of Oxford – “definitely not Cambridge” – and has already worked in parliament on work experience for Tory MP Rebecca Harris.

His verdict on each of the leaders was:

David Cameron: “David Cameron is a strong, well-intentioned leader and he did very well tonight. He seemed like a prime minister.”

Ed Miliband: “I’ve not always been a fan of Ed Miliband but, to be fair, he was fairly impressive tonight. He sounded like he knew his stuff. Well done.”

Nicola Sturgeon: “I didn’t know much about her before the debate, but I was impressed. She reacted very well to the other leaders, and she made the SNP seem like a real UK-wide force rather than just a Scottish one.”

Leanne Wood: “She just spoke about Wales.”

Nick Clegg: “He did well – he put forward a strong, sensible middle way.”

Natalie Bennett: “She has good intentions.”

Nigel Farage: “Controversial.”

But if he was old enough to vote? “Conservative, definitely.”
As for the rest of us, we’re all firmly on Team Tudor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I agree that many Better Together people should be arrested for their lies during the independence debate.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd like to see that yank poster call Sturgeon a liberal Thatcher to her face.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Acaila posted:

Say what you like about them, but the non-zoomer Nats are very funny on Twitter.

What's a zoomer nat?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Acaila posted:

Zoomers = nutcases.
Zoomer nats are usually the 45% cybernat full of conspiracy theories and attacking anyone who bothers to raise anything as troubling as facts

Oh. Never heard that one before.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cocaine.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wasn't there some study that showed health tourists are a net positive for the economy? That they spend a lot more than they cost the NHS?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh, Regarde Aduck's fortnightly meltdown about the evil jocks has happened again I see. Guess he's going for a wider audience this time doing it in the UK thread rather than the Scotland thread.

Cerv posted:

you say that like it's not happened before.

And it will happen again, and again. Coohoolin's existence enrages a certain type of poster.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kapparomeo posted:

Coohoolin isn't an immigrant. He was born in England. He grew up in Oxford. He could legitimately adopt a British identity, but seeing how he so graciously condescends to consider himself in the same category of people who've struggled across continents holding on to trains and crammed in stinking leaking boats to make a new life here is outright insulting.

lol why do you get so hot and bothered about him? Please, I want to understand.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

When Coohoolin posts about playing political songs on his guitar it makes me cringe a bit tbh but his heart is in the right place and I find it extremely funny when people get all angry about him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I do Ewan Maccoll, Modena City Ramblers and whatever Dick Gaughan I can work out the tuning for, my house parties are the best.

Has this ever happened to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpNQ9AJYgU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

For me it's almost entirely the accent thing.

I can sort of understand that, but aren't you bored of it by now? It's been so long.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

No.

Though in my defence, I never bring it up.

lol

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

If you're from Inverness, you're Invernesian; if you're from Glasgow, Glaswegian; if you're from Aberdeen you're Aberdonian and from Dundee, Dundonian. But if you're from Edinburgh you're just a oval office fae Embra.

Rude.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The empty barn notwithstanding, whats the reason Cornwall bucks the trend of the celtic fringe and is full of tories? It's a bit odd.

Is that a trend? There are loads of tories in Wales and Ireland is very conservative.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

As an Edinburgh type who lived in Glasgow for years I had to endure endless "capital in name only" and "Edinburgh people aren't friendly, and are posh" chat from all my west coast friends. Tedious.

Having said that I love both cities, they are the two best cities in the UK.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bristol better than Edinburgh or Glasgow? A joke surely?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've actually never been to Bristol. Years of reading Fluo post about it leads me to believe it is mostly pubs.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For politics without the boring bits, visit http://sunnation.co.uk.

*shows David Cameron preparing breakfast*

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I had no idea Ed was so virile.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cerv posted:

It really does show the total bankruptcy of any claim the Toriea have to principles. HA homes don't belong to the state. They're not the governments to sell. But they'll expropriate them just because they don't like you or what you represent. Buy-to-let landlords won't have their properties taken because they're the right kind of people.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Do they have no respect for private property? If it was some rich gently caress getting his poo poo taken away they would be crying about how it is communism.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Look man that baby needs an incubator, not a new voting system.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Remember the people who voted no to AV because they thought there might be another referendum for proper PR later? :lol:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

:psyduck: how did they not learn from last time

I think they did learn from the last time, when they say and do racist things they get more popular.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

London is too hot in the summer.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am glad that people are still melting down over Coohoolin being an immigrant, it makes me laugh.

Is there a reason the Welsh get so annoyed by him? Regarde Aduck (the one that called him a villain) was Welsh as well, I think.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fans posted:

I'm Welsh and I don't, but maybe I'm not Welsh enough.

No true Welshman.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't think it's anything in particular with being welsh, I just have an issue with someone being a nationalist for a nation they're not a part of. It's inherently absurd.

I mean I think I'd raise some eyebrows if, as a welshman in england, I suddenly joined an english nationalist group.

Turning up to an identity conflict that has been raging for a thousand years and picking a side suggests either a level of dis-ingenuity or ignorance, or both.

e: also the khmer rouge bloke was funny and mentile af.

He lives here though. And there were plenty of non-Scottish born people supporting the Yes campaign, it's not unusual or absurd at all.

And yes I hope Regarde Aduck comes back, I never thanked him for forgiving me in his meltdown.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Everyone loves Charles Kennedy. But really if he wanted to avoid getting run out he should have resigned from the Lib Dems and ran as an independent.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If the SNP are a single issue party, why did so many people vote SNP and then vote no in the referendum?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Is there evidence that more people are set to vote SNP than voted Yes in the referendum?

Lots of areas that return SNP MPs and MSPs voted no.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Based on the differences in turnout and the Holyrood voting system I'm not sure you can draw any meaningful comparison from this whatsoever.

The point is that there are lots of people who vote SNP for reasons other than independence, they aren't a single issue party.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Can they though? With a manifesto that largely mirrors Labour's, and already having blown their strongest bargaining chip by declaring they absolutely won't deal with the one other possible partner in government, and a single 'red line' issue that the Tory's won't vote with them on, what terms could they dictate?

There will be lots of other legislation that Labour will want to get passed, that the Tories won't vote with them on, that they will need SNP support on.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

So the big mansion tax vote comes around and what are the SNP going to do? Vote with the Tories against it? Abstain?

Voting for the mansion tax is in the SNP manifesto, which is why I said other legislation.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dispatch_async posted:

Also I find it bizarre that people think that every single policy that a Labour government might want to bring forwards over the next 5 years is already set out in their manifesto. Much of the awful poo poo the last Labour government did wasn't in any manifesto (as was some of the positive stuff - circumstances change over the course of a parliament).

Yeah pretty much. If Labour had a history of sticking to their manifestos we would have an elected house of lords by now.

Pissflaps posted:

Well that's hard to find fault with.

The ideal solution to all this of course is for the SNP to drop their commitment to independence and for Labour to pull out of Scotland entirely, then in about 20 years the parties can merge.

:lol:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CoolCab posted:

Aligning with the Tories already killed half their base, aligning with Labour and the SNP would kill the other half. The Lib Dems are waffling this election because pandering to their now radically reduced base means pandering to people who enjoyed the coalition.

Ah, I was wondering who their current "truth is in the middle" message appealed to..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Why are people tories?

EvilGenius posted:

UKMT May: Baby, I'm hung like parliament.

Yes this one.

• Locked thread