Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

To you Americans reading this thread, gently caress your country for electing Jimmy Carter. You lot enabled the three worst Presidents since the Second World War by electing someone so loving neoliberal that he didn't care to solve the rise in unemployment and just acted passively to every challenge in his Presidency. Didn't help that Reagan was an ideal bedfellow for Thatcher, and likewise with GWB for Blair.

Gerald Ford's second term would have been much better, not least because he would've reflected badly on Reagan at the end of his term. There could've also been the possibility that Callaghan would've seen sense and called an election in 1978 when Thatcher's Tories were weaker and the Winter of Discontent hadn't happened yet. We would've had concentrated neoliberalism at some point, but I'll be damned if it had come as soon without the likes of Thatcher and Reagan in power at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Franco Potente posted:

I'm guessing that Reagan and GWB are two of the three, but who's the third?

Clinton, mainly for NAFTA (which hosed over the American working class) and the repeal of Glass-Steagall (which deregulated the banks and wholeheartedly led to the events of 2008). Bush Sr. was also pretty bad, but at least under his reign the Democrats had control of both houses of Congress and managed to pass broadly progressive legislation, unlike in 1994 when the GOP took control and gutted the welfare state.

Kaislioc posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have the link to the threads about Thatcher's death? (I can only remember a dedicated one in GBS.) I've had trouble finding them. I really enjoyed seeing all the people getting shocked at how much people hate her and I want to relive it as the anniversary of her death approaches in a few days.

This is the UKMT from that time, and this is the one from GBS.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The thread title made me remember that UB40's first album, Signing Off. was legitimately a great reggae album. It came out in August 1980, over a year into Thatcher's government, and the album's lyrics were quite socially and politically scathing in that context. Take their song 'Little By Little':

quote:

Poor man's anger rising
The ostrich hides his head
Soon the red blood will be boiling
And blue blood will be dead

While we say
Little by little by little
And stone by stone
Rich man's mountain
Comes crumbling down

Poor boy sleeps on straw
The rich boy sleeps in bed
That fat boy fills his belly
My poor boy's a dead

They're highlighting the rising inequality that arose from Thatcherism and advocating revolution against the rich. It's the kind of rhetoric that you'd hear in this thread, and it doesn't come from the same band who shat out that cover of Red Red Wine years later.

Also of note with tomorrow coming up is 'Madam Medusa', which damns Thatcher a bit more directly:

quote:

Comes a dreadful sight
Lady with the marble smile
Spirit of the night
See the scourge of innocence
Swinging in her hand
Hear the silent suffering
That echoes through the land

From the tombs of ignorance
Of hate and greed and lies
Through the smoke of sacrifice
Watch her figure rise
The sick the poor the old
Basking in her radiance
Men of blood and gold

In her bloody footsteps
Speculators prance
Men of dreams are praying
For that second chance
Round her vacant features
Gilded serpents dance
Her tree of evil knowledge
Sprouts a special branch

It's a very good album. I'd strongly advise you to give it a listen when you can.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Yessss that's it, thanks. That should be reposted in every OP.

Also this, because I haven't seen it in a while and it still rings true:

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Nick Clegg and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Transgendered people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not ok;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
13. ACAB.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Five years ago they were campaigning on how a solo Lib Dem government would be fairer and all that. How far they have fallen.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I read that as sarcastic, but then again it is Ed Miliband so

e: 1924: After holding unsuccessfully holding office for ten months, the Labour minority government of Ramsay MacDonald calls an election and loses in a landslide to Stanley Baldwin's Tories. The 1920s remain poo poo afterwards, especially when poo poo goes down in 1929.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

As an addendum, this is still an incredibly relevant watch. A lecture from the Dundonian Ivy League political science professor Mark Blyth about the history of austerity and why it is so loving dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

• Locked thread