Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Can someone photoshop Nicola's head on Brock Lesner and Alex Salmond on Paul Heyman?

Thanks.

e: 1837 Lea & Perrins begin making Worcestershire sauce

winegums fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Rakosi posted:

How has it had no effect on the opinion polls?

It had a big effect, i think his personal rating was 15-20% lower than Cameron's. However, in the space of two debates that vanished to nothing. All those months of character assassination being undone must really hurt. And all because the best man they had to lead their party is a charmless robot.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Reveilled posted:

I don't think it's as simple as that, I'd say the SNP's success has come from two areas, disillusioned liberals and disengaged Labour voters.

Few pages back, but I'd say that the SNP also does a good job of pulling in a fair few right-wing racist votes too. There's a fair swipe of mistrust and dislike of foreigners in some parts of the country which includes the English. There are some pretty mean and selfish people here who, on balance, hate forrins just a bit more than the poor.
If the SNP dissolved tomorrow the Labour vote would go up, but a few seats would probably go Tory.

On that note it looks like the Dumfriesshire Clydesdale and Tweeddale seat, the only Conservative seat in Scotland, might stay Tory. :smith:

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Pasco posted:

In non-non-dom news, the Greens have revealed their all-singing, all-dancing party political broadcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgS7p40ERg

:dogbutton:

(God loving help me I think I'm actually starting to like it on a second viewing)

Honest to god I'm getting sick of this "vote for me because I'm different from the other party" poo poo

Lib Dems: We won't do the bad thing that Labour does, or the opposite bad thing the Tories do.
UKIP: Lib-Lab-Con is all the same, vote for us
Green: All the parties run by boys are the same, vote for us

The anti-establishment vote is being spread pretty thin, especially between UKIP and Greens, both of whom seem to really want to be the third party as the Lib Dems vanish over the horizon. I'd rather see a party present a credible platform for election than pick them because they're not the same as anyone else.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Regarding the paid volunteering, I think Pickles explained it perfectly well in that inteview:

quote:

"It would be worked out so as not cause inconvenience to hospitals."

quote:

When asked if there would be provision in the legislation about a situation where a company felt it was too burdensome to allow an extra three days off work volunteering and decided not to engage in the programme, Pickles said:

We expect a bit of give and take on this, in the same way that we expect people to have a bit of give and take with regard to annual leave.

It's opt in, with no obligation to provide the leave if you do opt in. It's an utterly half-arsed wooly policy.

One election in and the Tories are already running on vapours. Did all the young competent politicians of the Thatcher era die off or are they all in prison for noncing?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I think a second chamber is a Good Thing if it's filled with a decent non-elected cross-section of society, a few representatives from charity, law, healthcare, policing etc. It'd mean populist legislation gets knocked down by a group not concerned with pissing off the electorate.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jose posted:

Whats wrong with the cancer drugs fund?

It's populist and feeds into the idea that cancer is the Most Important Disease. Also means we pay over the odds for drugs that give a minimal improvement in morbidity/mortality over the next best (cheaper) treatment.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jose posted:

How rare is it for a party leader to not win their constituency?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election_records#Party_Leaders_or_Deputy_Leaders_losing_their_seats

Short answer: Virtually unheard of in modern times for any of the big parties. It'd be utterly embarrassing, so they tend to put the leaders in the safest of safe seats. Are you thinking of Clegg's upcoming Portillo moment?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

This childcare thing is going to be workfare, isn't it...."If you're not going to work you will look after the children of people who do. What do you mean you don't have time to look for a job whilst looking after a child all day?".

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

twoot posted:

I'm going to eat your loving soul

I know it's cheap to take a stab at a politician's appearance, especially given how often it happens to Ed Miliband and how generally lame it seems...but Gideon really does look loving gormless in almost every picture I see of him. Even in EvilLaughingTories.jpg his eyes have a look of "I don't get the joke, but I better laugh along with the bigger boys".

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Addz posted:

Cameron and Clegg saying they weren't invited, a lot of bias chit-chat surrounding the BBC right now. Either that or the BBC are trying to create dramatic rosters for some kind of T.V entertainment.

Cameron said something about too many of these during the election season. Clegg got told he wasn't allowed because he's government and this debate became de facto 'non-government'.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think that the Tories seriously hosed up by not doing the debate. It was basically an hour and a half of politicians treating Ed Miliband like he was the de facto prime minister.

This is pretty true. When nicola sturgeon was talking to milliband about "if you're the next prime minister" I'm sure she almost said "when". There was definitely an air of "it's going to happen".

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Unfortunately Clegg needed to be somewhere else, i.e. exactly halfway between Miliband in the studio and wherever Cameron was hiding

I've seen enough election stuff recently to really see the lib dem machine in full run, and boy is it underwhelming. I can't think of anyone who won't vote tory or labour but instead wants some castrated middle-of-the-road option. If Labour wanted to buy every unemployed person in the UK a car and the Tories wanted to kill them all, the Lib Dems would want to maim them then give them a bike. It's such an uninspiring weaseley position that lets you take credit for the good stuff government puts forward whilst distancing yourself from the bad stuff.

I'm staying up on election night just to watch them implode.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Did someone say they wanted a crappy excel diagram of the studio makeup? No? Well I made one anyway

So as more succinct people said, it does utterly depend on whether or not you consider LD a left or right wing party (or maybe they truly are the middle ground of politics).

I think the BBC had good grounds to have no tory or lib dem supporters in the audience given neither party was represented in the debates.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I kind of love Ed Miliband.

I'll take sincerely geeky over disingenuous hoody hugging any day of the week.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Surely Labour don't actually need a majority do they? Would the Tories and Lib Dems form a minority government knowing Lab-SNP would poo poo on everything they do for 5 years?

A minority Labour government with SNP votes would get a fair bit done, and since they're separate parties neither would vote for the other's awful legislation.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Carswell actually comes across as reasonable and moderate in interviews, if I was a kipper and wanted a new party leader I'd select him. Of course the reality is that kippers will inevitably elect some alcoholic holocaust denier.

He has the unique advantage of being the only other kipper anyone has heard of who hasn't been kicked out of the party in disgrace for being a nazi/BNP/arsehole

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

BottledBacon posted:

I made an animation all about the elections and the 5 Westminster parties, it will either be incredibly adored since it insults everyone, or utterly abhorred... Since it insults everyone. Not sure which.

http://youtu.be/qgyNFRw5gAE

This was good and cool, although saying the tories "act competent" was a bit of a stretch. Will share.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Phoon posted:

I love that Michael Green is so bad at the internet

I may actually hate him more than any other living politician. He's worthless. His whole professional life was spent running pyramid schemes or creating software that aggregates other people's original work. He has produced nothing of value and I fully believe if you looked into his earlier life at university you'd probably see examples of the same.

He's a bullshitter; the sort of slimey weasel gently caress born to do marketing, to be the sort of person who slurps and sucks his way up the corporate ladder by being attached to the right projects and quietly removing himself from the wrong ones, but ultimately contributing nothing to either.

IDS and Gove are thick. They don't realise how incompetent they are, but I think Green does. He knows he's a fraud, you can see it in his poo poo-eating smirk, but he keeps going regardless.

I literally can't fathom why people would vote for him. People can convince themselves that killing the poor is good because bootstraps, but this guy is so utterly insincere and dodgy that I get a bit of a visceral response when I see him.

Sidenote: Is someone going to set up an IRC for election night? Is there an SA IRC? That would be fun.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

They're coming to a marginal near my ends and I cannot see a load of glass-eyed besuited yanks reading from a script and saying 'NHS' in a wrong accent helping the Tories in the slightest.

Yeah, surely people aren't going to be receptive to Americans in our political campaigns?

Also so happy to see the Tories are struggling this much to put feet on ground. [Maybe they should use workfare

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

There's one black student's officer, and one international student's officer. And no religions officer?

I don't see why there are even 2 LGBT officers. If women only events don't get NUS representation at them I don't think that's such a loss.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

This was such a laboured way of making the point it's unreal. Also Ed's too busy flicking through his Tindr matches to be texting Eck.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

The SNP are likely to vote with Labour on that anyway, since the alternatives are either the Tory Queen's Speech getting through (which looks bad for them "you could've prevented this"), or neither Labour nor Tories can form a government, so we have another election. This would end up hurting the smaller parties more.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Ed will make mincemeat out of Boris at Prime Ministers questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob2fZIa-ngg

He's like a smilier, more buffoney version of Ben Swain. Without the charm.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Brand's fanbase are basically people who reject the modern concept of respectability as simply another part of the establishment, which is perfectly legitimate in my view. Brand pretty much clearly takes the piss out of this with his weird clothes and his extremely individual affectations. It's disturbing, but it's easy to see where he's coming from, and hard to simply dismiss it.

No matter how anti-establishment you are, you can never be anti-establishment enough for some people :tinfoil:

Also what does "The Trews" mean. If it's a portmanteau of "true news" I'm going to go to walk to Camden and personally kill and eat Russell Brand. It's possible to be anti-establishment and not a preening cock.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Counterpoint!

quote:

Up to two thirds of the audience in Thursday’s Question Time Leaders’ debates will be left wing, The Telegraph can disclose.
The numbers of Labour and Liberal Democrat voters in the audience for the programme will reignite the row over audience bias which dogged the last election debate.
Looks like both sides pre-emptively claiming that the audience is biased against their guy!

Found their mistake. Do you think they'll print a correction?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Dimbleby is on form tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Apparently Russell Brand has endorsed Caroline Lucas. Don't vote, unless you live in Brighton Pavilion, in which case vote Green? Thanks, Russell.

That's the sort of wacky anti-establishment thinking I've come to suspect from Russell "I'm going to come down there, kill and eat you, no seriously" Brand.

Tonight's debates really loving made me weep. The audience were equal parts mouthy and wrong. Ed got a bit of a kicking, and it's so hard to even begin to unpack this poo poo. "Labour want to create a culture of benefits" is an idea that'd take the full debate time to unpack (unless you went for a wall-and-bullet based explanation). I can only hope that Labour get enough votes to get into power and do something to castrate the most obscene aspects of the media, which ultimately might lead to more honest discourse and a more informed public.

• Locked thread