Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just bought a Zone 1 apartment to live in while I'm in school and as a rental after I'm done.
I've noticed that the vast majority of my neighbors are foreigners which really underscores the foreign nature of the property bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

To sort house prices out in London? A good old fashioned pandemic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H7N9

Isn't a significant cause of the bubble in London specifically to do with empty homes owned by foreigners?
Think you just need a squatter's movement.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wtf is up with his face?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

And you guys voted them in? Wtf...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As a furriner, why do all my londoner friends tell me there's no way labour will win when they seem to be polling neck and neck with the tories?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i dont get the UK at all.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Option 1: they're not looking at the polls
Option 2: they believe the polls to be understating the Tory vote due to the "shy Tory effect" where people will vote Tory but would be too ashamed to say so to a pollster (hard to reconcile this one with the fact that Tories do better in phone polls than online ones....)
Option 3: they're phrasing things strangely and simply mean that labour are very unlikely to win an outright majority, which is true; the most likely outcome going by the polls is a labour minority government of some sort, or possibly a lib-lab coalition
Option 4: they are simply deluding themselves

i can't say i get uk politics at all. just feels like a cheap low-rent version of american politics.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i just found out that EU and qualified commonwealth citizens resident in the UK can vote in the elections.
Is it too late for me to sign up for the GE?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wow, that was surprisingly fuss-free.
Going to put my vote in for Cameron.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Commonwealth mate.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What ethnicity is Miliband?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

His parents were Polish Jews. Slightly odd question tbh.

Yeah that came off wrong. He just looks odd all the time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The great weather this week in London has really turned around my opinion of the UK.
It's my first spring/summer here and I was wondering how people can live with the gloom all the time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sunlight or lack thereof has a huge impact on mental health especially during the winter months.
Wouldn't be surprised to see seasonal trends in suicides etc.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Prince John posted:

Completely random, but if you're not staying permanently in the UK then do make the time to explore other better more scenic parts of the country. It's only gloomy because you're surrounded by big grey buildings. ;)

I knew a Japanese colleague who managed to spend an entire year in the UK on secondment but never set foot outside the capital before returning home. He was a bit woebegone when someone got him a book of ultra-scenic landscapes and landmark photographs from around Britain as a leaving present and he realised what he missed out on seeing.

Already done some travel and actually headed to 7 sisters later in the month.
Would love to hear recommendations if you had any.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just had a drink with a friend and the conversation drifted to politics.
She started off saying she's a tory cuz they're better for business.
After half an hour of breaking down her political views, it became clear to me that her views lines up pretty much with Labour (at the very least).
And it was pretty clear that she had no idea what the various parties stand for...

Don't get people like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What are the odds of Clegg losing his seat and what impact does that have on the LDs?

• Locked thread