Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I thought f8 was better than 7 at least, maybe 6 too, because it fully embraced "big budget soap opera, with car fights". Also drat that zombie car bit was really inventive.

But if they want to make a Rock/statham transporter-esque movie I am totally down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I love the cast but lol if you think a Roman/Tej spinoff has the same appeal as a Rock/Statham one. False equivalence there Tyrese

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What's the SitC drama?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

whydirt posted:

What's the SitC drama?

There's some whole thing with Kim Cattrall supposedly tanking a SitC3 by demanding the studio produce some unrelated project of hers and the studio not wanting to do it. Also apparently her and Sarah Jessica Parker would only interact when the cameras were rolling on the second movie.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

2F2F was basically a Paul Walker spinoff

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

There's some whole thing with Kim Cattrall supposedly tanking a SitC3 by demanding the studio produce some unrelated project of hers and the studio not wanting to do it. Also apparently her and Sarah Jessica Parker would only interact when the cameras were rolling on the second movie.

Kim Catrall is the only one who ever had a real career so i'd give her the benefit of the doubt

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“WhyteRyce”" post="“477168610”"]
I love the cast but lol if you think a Roman/Tej spinoff has the same appeal as a Rock/Statham one. False equivalence there Tyrese
[/quote]

Both would bomb and be totally forgettable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What if Tej took the next step in his Hacker Evolution and entered The Grid?

Fast and Furious with lightcycles

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Or, one of these times they cant stop the bad guy in the nick of time, the dirty bomb goes off and mutates people into orcs and elves, etc.

Shadowrun Furious

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I forgot that Fast and Furious is a Universal property, so Tron is probably a no-go.

Tej and Roman Meet the Wolf Man, on the other hand

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's maybe not the worst thing ever that it's getting delayed after the haphazard mess that was 8. I really enjoyed it the first time, but its place in the pantheon slips just about each time I revisit it (only been like twice which also speaks to it's status).

I have no strong opinions one way or the other about a Hobbs/Shaw spin off. I hope that it is at least entertaining but their scenes in 8 had some real split personalities about them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Vin is gonna be PISSED. Definitely some crushed d20s at the Diesel household tonight.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Diesel already released an Instagram post defusing the entire thing, the dude's a class act

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Hmmm I always thought the rock was pretty cool. Guess not so much!

A guy coming from two super competitive cultures (college football and pro-wrestling) is super competitive and will leverage a personal advantage.

poo poo, who could have seen that coming?

got any sevens posted:

I thought f8 was better than 7 at least, maybe 6 too, because it fully embraced "big budget soap opera, with car fights". Also drat that zombie car bit was really inventive.

But if they want to make a Rock/statham transporter-esque movie I am totally down.

What? Better than 6? You so crazy.

6 is the high point of the series and it's really unlikely to be topped at this point. It was the last time the enormous cast felt semi-organic and has the two best action scenes and the best fight scene in the series.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I still say all of Fast n Furious is obviously Vin Diesel's homebrew D20 Modern tabletop RPG. It's a silly explanation that fits too well when you drill into it.

As for the Rock/Family beef, eh. If Rock had faked being a really cool, chill, fan friendly guy all these years he'd be a better actor on screen. It seems like the tertiary members of the family are upset because they've got diminished time in the light, not through anything overtly Rock's fault but rather their roles in the family were made for what is admittedly a different franchise.

It's Car Superheroes now.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

WhyteRyce posted:

2F2F was basically a Paul Walker spinoff

And it sucked and felt like a USA original TV show.

However, the series just doesn't work as well without Paul Walker (and Jordana Brewster). You need a few boring, kinda dorky characters to go "whoa!" when the crazy stuff happens. Tej and Roman could sort of work here, but they don't have the screen presence or charisma of Paul Walker so they shrink into the background when The Rock, Statham, or Diesel are on screen.

So now instead of the "regular guy" being mixed up in this wacky world, you just have Vin Diesel and The Rock doing (and saying) insane stuff like it's just another Tuesday and it's diminished somehow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You could tell in F8 that they were trying to position Mr. Nobody's underling as a Brian replacement and that bombed terribly, hate that guy please never bring him back

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You could tell in F8 that they were trying to position Mr. Nobody's underling as a Brian replacement and that bombed terribly, hate that guy please never bring him back

He seems to be more of a comic relief, really.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You gotta admit the soccer scene was cool + funny

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well obviously. He was a high level Tuner Bard but since he was created whole cloth at level 30 he doesn't have the rich backstory and journey of the hero that Paul Walker's original Tuner Bard had.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Scott Eastwood has like, negative charisma. Dude is a black hole of anti-screen presence. Which is a shame because he's crazy handsome but good lord I've seen soap actors who can read a line better

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My lecturer still went to see Fast 8 purely because Eastwood was in it.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/RobbieBarstool/status/918172725151240192

Am I a mark? Am I being worked?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Yeah that's work. He's not even happy to be doing it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That video is 2 years old

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

That video is 2 years old

The plot thickens

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

PJOmega posted:

Yeah that's work. He's not even happy to be doing it.

Pretty sure you can even see him start to smile when he starts walking away.

A Statham/Johnson spin off sounds remarkably unnecessary and I will still see it opening night anyway.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Diesel vs The Rock (not the Kevin Nash Diesel) didn't happen at WrestleMania, so they've moved onto the Tyrese vs The Rock at Survivor Series feud.

By the way I recommend the movie Young and Dangerous (1996), from HK, which had a bunch of sequels too. Good fun crime action/soap opera/family. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116456/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess who's back for 9 and 10!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Part of me was really hoping he was going to reveal that Paul Walker is alive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Part of me was really hoping he was going to reveal that Paul Walker is alive.

Paul is dead.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Lobok posted:

Paul is dead.

RIP

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

Paul is dead.

Cranberry Sauce.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Thank God Lin is coming back.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

gently caress yes Justin Lin

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Are they already filming? 9 is not coming out till 2019 isn't it a bit early to be filming?

e: 2020 it comes out so yeah obviously they are not filming it yet

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 27, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wandle Cax posted:

Are they already filming? 9 is not coming out till 2019 isn't it a bit early to be filming?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

e: 2020 it comes out so yeah obviously they are not filming it yet

I can never quite get my head around how long production/post production takes for movies in general. If you read the Disaster Artist (which is a really good read) he mentions working on Patch Adams in a small role, and then, ages later, the movie actually comes out. And it's not like Patch Adams would have a shitload of special effects and such forth.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
According to one of VD's facebook posts, they never stop working on FF movies. He's posted twice this October about it. Once, he was filming in NYC in his Toretto uniform, and once they were having the weekly Saturday night brainstorming meeting with the cast. All those car chases are half CGI, these days, so they have to film way ahead of time.

I follow a couple movie stars to keep up on release dates and stuff. It gives me a break from the glurge my friends post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We might have a director for Shaw and Hobbes Excellent Adventure.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/david-leitch-early-talks-direct-dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-fast-furious-spinoff-1081009

• Locked thread