Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
I need your help, goons! I've come up with what I feel is a great idea for a new podcast, but I really think I should get a little outside input before I pull the trigger on this Amazon shopping cart full of professional podcast recording gear and charge in. Please be gentle, this podcast idea is my baby! :ohdear:

So what's the podcast all about?

The other day, I was tending my metropolis in Cities: Skylines while listening to the latest ep of Welcome to Night Vale - excellent podcast, by the way. Um, the comedic styling of John Hodgman meets the cosmic horror of H.P. Lovecraft? Yes, please! AN-Y-WAY... as great as it was, I suddenly realized, what I really wanted to be hearing about during my gaming session...

...was video games.

:wth: I know what you're thinking: "But Chilled Cactus, there are already so many different mediums where you can turn to get gaming information and discussion, from web sites like IGN and 1-Up, to print publications like PC Gamer, even television programs like X-Play and Attack of the Show. Do we really need a gaming podcast?" Well, allow me to explain. Those other mediums are primarily visual. An aural medium like podcasting synergizes with the act of gaming perfectly because you aren't being overloaded with visual inputs. In layman's terms: you can listen to the podcast while you game. (Remember how I was listening to Night Vale while playing Cities: Skylines?)

I really think that gaming and podcasting will go together like chocolate and peanut butter (sorry, I'm currently chowing down on some Gertrude Hawk Valentine's Day Peanut Butter Smidgens I bought after Valentine's Day, on sale). Imagine if you could listen to a group of cool, funny, nerdy guys just chatting it up about the latest gaming news, while you game. That's the kind of service I want to provide.

Is there really potential in a podcast about gaming?

:eng101: Video games are one of the fastest growing industries out there. In fact, gaming is actually even bigger than podcasting. If you would kindly draw your eye to the following chart:

You ask if there is potential in a podcast about gaming, and I ask you: if there isn't potential here, where is there? I think this podcast could really fill a niche. There are probably gamers all over the place who would love to be able to hear some friendly, nerdy, cool guys breakdown the latest gaming news for them, while they game. This could be huge!

What will you call it?

I was thinking we could call it 128-bit. Remember how they always used to rate consoles on how many bits they were? They never really did that after the Nintendo 64 (which was a 64-bit machine, duh). So I was thinking, why was there never a 128-bit console? Well, now I'll call my podcast that: 128-Bit! Just a bit of gaming humor, maybe it's lame, but that's my sense of humor. :blush: I'm open to other suggestions!

But how will you monetize it?

Well, I won't charge people subscription fees or archives access fees or anything like some people would (:jewish:). I was thinking that I could get the podcast off the ground by working for free - I recently got laid off from my job at Domino's (they did me a favor, as far as I'm concerned), so I've got the time to spare - but maybe eventually, once it gets big, gaming companies will pay us for advertising blurbs and maybe even sponsor on-air events! We could also sell merch to our fans, like maybe some sick gaming tees that reference the clever in-jokes we'll develop in our podcast.

So what do you guys think???

So what do you guys think?? Do you have any ideas you'd like to add? Maybe you'd even like to join the cast (I haven't started looking yet)! I've never been more excited about a project than I am about this one. I feel like this could really be something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
I get it. I get the joke.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I think a good idea would be to record the podcast as a 128kbps quality mp3 file, not only would this reduce the file size (more room for games, lol) but it would also match the title of the podcast.

• Locked thread