Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

GodFish posted:

Alicia Elston - The Wyrm
Outfits are one thing, but why help out the less talented students? And while you certainly have a knack for fashion design, some of your outfits, the Black Cat-alogue ones particularly, seem, well I wouldn't call them amusing, but someone people do. Who was the last person who mocked one of your designs to your face, and what did you do to them?

Why not help them out? A designer needs models to experiment with, and even if you push away fashion as something vain and boorish there's no denying that you just feel better when you know you look good. Embarrassed people make astounding models though, because you have to make sure they still look excellent while they attempt to fold into themselves when they go out in public.

If you meant academically, I'd like to tell you it's just out of the kindness of my heart, but let's be real here. Having someone who actually bothers to read a book and take notes in class is a rarity around here, especially outside Ravenclaw. There's favors to be had, secrets to be found out, and a dad who's been refusing to allot me extra money for the last two years because he thinks my 'hobby' is 'absolute nonsense' and equivalent to 'setting fire to muggle dollars for pleasure'. More importantly, it rounds out my pool of targets. Boys certainly care about how they look deep down inside but they're not about to let me start dressing them up, and I can't have such a large chunk of the student population go untouched just because of that.

And my critics, of course. Everyone's going to call anything strange that's more daring than black on black on black, or whatever color the big clothing stores pick in their not-black seasons to keep you buying the same drab clothes non-stop. But there's always something to be taken from critics. Wouldn't do to just have everyone mindlessly tell me I'm as fabulous as I think. There's always some flaw you overlook.

So maybe sometimes you take a little something you didn't quite notice out of their criticisms and make something splendid even better, and maybe sometimes you steal Lucy's boyfriend of five years away from her and drag him all around her until the both of them are going mad, make them hate each other's guts, dump his disgusting handsy rear end, and leave them both miserable and constantly fighting with one another because maybe Lucy thought calling your extremely expensive and precisely customized leather thighboots 'hooker boots' was a good idea. Maybe.

The idea behind the collection's name was my little sister's, besides. It was just too adorable not to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

GodFish posted:

Questions, Round 1
Georgina McPhail - The Ghoul
Everyone knows that Ravenclaw's consider knowledge more important than politeness, but everyone draws a line somewhere. What's the most dangerous or powerful thing you've learned since your accident, and what did you do to acquire it that alienated some of your old friends? Who still has your back, even with all the changes you've gone through?

The most powerful thing I've learned. Well it's not some great spell long forgotten in some dusty tome. Or some fantastically ancient artefact buried hundreds of years ago. It was about myself. See any Ravenclaw can tell you the tired old mantra about knowledge equalling power. But they forget that the most important part of knowledge it doesn't have to always come from outside. It can come from within. See after my accident I shouldn't have survived. If I hadn't have drunk that unicorn blood I'd be dead now or at least looking forward to spending what was left of my life laid up in St Mungo's. But I didn't I was saved by magic that was not only illegal but certainly unethical. And you know what after that I started wondering how many other life changing, life saving bits of magical knowledge we keep ignoring because of the stupid self-imposed limitations we put on ourselves. After all illegal and unethical are just labels we attach to things that make us uncomfortable. I mean don't get me wrong given the side-effects I'm certainly not encouraging everyone to be drinking pints of unicorn blood or creating horocruxes for fun. Still once you look past those labels there's still a lot of untapped magical research out there for those enterprising and talented enough to look beyond what we all took for granted and reach for true knowledge, true power.

I tried explaining this once to some of my so-called friends. Most of them were disinterested and content to stay within the petty confines of conventional research. Cassandra Clearwater was the worst though. She actually had the gall can you believe it to say my ideas sounded just like Voldermorts I'm nothing like Voldermort. Purity of blood is a ridiculous notion. I've met Muggleborns who are almost as good at magic as some of us old established families and part of what I've come to realise is that talent is talent no matter where it comes from. Take Christopher Black (no relation) His family are muggles going back generations. Despite the handicap of his upbringing poor guy he's turned himself into a surprisingly capable wizard and he was able to grasp my point immediately. But for that unfortunate accident of his birth with the kind of talent he has he could go far one of these days. Out of all my so-called friends he's been the only one to truly stick by me even though my views have made me unpopular in the Ravenclaw common room. Don't tell anyone I said this but he's kind of cute as well...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

GodFish posted:

Deirdre Monaghan - The Veelampire
How much of what you learned in Defense Against the Dark Arts about Vampires are you finding to be true, and how much isn't? This charming boy now, do you know who they are? Did you see him before, or have you seen him since, and if you do happen to say, run across him in a dark, deserted hallway late one night, what do you have in mind for him?

A lot of the more crackpot theories about vampirism are inspired by Muggle stories, did you know? There's a lot of cross-pollution of myths, which makes sorting out what's what more painstaking than it ought to be. The garlic thing, for example? Toted by witches and wizards on holiday to Romania and beyond to 'ward off the restless dead'? Total bollocks. The only thing garlic does is smell weird and make your breath horrid. Flowing water doesn't impede me, and as far as I know only animagi turn into bats. (That'd be a good trick to learn, though, wouldn't it?) Silver does sear me, which is a great shame. I've had to part with some of my favorite accent jewelry, 'cause nothing's less sexy than blistered skin. I haven't dared test the riskier myths -- like holy water and getting staked in the heart -- because I don't have a death wish.

Undeath wish? I don't ... really think about it. I don't feel dead...

Oh, and the sun? I was never fond of it anyway. Hell on the complexion, you know, and the Muggle scientists say it gives you cancer. I can go out on overcast days, or with a parasol, for a bit. Direct exposure, however, is ... bad. No, I don't turn to ash at dawn's first light or anything nearly as ridiculous. But it starts to sap my energy right quick. One time I stayed out for an hour on a mildly clear day and got what both looked and felt like the worst sunburn of my life -- I'm a bit scared to stay out longer than that, because I just don't know. Clothing coverage makes a bit of a difference -- I wear long sleeves and leggings to Herbology, for example -- but there's no way to make the experience pleasant.

The boy told me he was called Artemis Nix and he was -- is? -- a year above me. He was almost as gorgeous as I am, in his way: tall, raven-haired and striking, with a smile that invites you close, and emerald eyes that mock you but at the same time give the most comforting, long-lashed gazes you've ever -- er. Sorry. Suffice it to say I fell for him the first time I laid eyes on him. Which really should have been a warning sign, in itself. I don't do that! I make people fall for me! It's not supposed to happen the other way round, and if it does, there has to be some potion nonsense or Dark magic involved, because I'm not so stupid as to lose all my senses over some... some boy!

... Were you aware pure-blooded veela can throw great orbs of fire from their hands when they're enraged? Isn't that fascinating?

Ahem.

So he'd be in his seventh year, but since the incident I haven't even glimpsed him -- not once. Which leaves me wondering: is he even a Hogwarts student at all? Maybe he was one, in the past, and fell for the same trap that I did. I don't know if vampires age or not, it's not like I've been one long enough to know. Maybe he's simply incredibly reclusive. Maybe I've been distracted by having to learn to view my peers as snacks instead of frie-... distractions. Or, luck willing, maybe he got eaten by a giant spider or a herd of centaurs or whatever godawful things live out in the Forbidden Forest. I'm not happy with him. He turned me and left me, and I've been having to figure out how everything works all by myself. I can't even tell my mum.

But at the same time, this all has its upsides. Instead of promising things in exchange for favours, I can just look people in the eye and tell them to do it. Far more convenient, wouldn't you say? And I suppose if I do stop aging, I'll be young and beautiful forever; I can certainly envision worse fates...

So I -- I don't know. It would really depend on what he's like, wouldn't it? It would be nice to have someone to talk about this with who was on my level. Not that I get lonely. Where is there room for loneliness when you can enjoy the company of nearly any boy or girl you wish at the cost of a glance? I have questions, though, and nowhere else to turn for answers.

On the other hand, I could also shove a stake in him and solve another of my existential mysteries. Decisions, decisions~!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'll answer my question tonight 'cause I have to go, but I just wanted to take back my earlier title and suggest "Harry Potter and the Gaze into the Abyss" instead.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Troy Buckworth - The Anansi
You've got plans you said. Well, you've been here for a few years now, you must have put a few of them into action by now. Tell me about one of your plans that worked, and one that.... well, to say went badly would be an understatement, wouldn't it?

Oh god. Uh, let's go with the good one first.

Most of my plans aren't really long-term - at least, not at the moment. They kinda get devised on the fly. Like the time about a month ago, when I was in potions and overheard Lucy Gonn talking poo poo about me. What was it? "Nice rear end, pity about his face," I think it was, or maybe "Hot for a Hufflepuff mudblood" as well. Jumped-up little Slitheryn bitch. So I figured I'd get back at her. One of her hangers-on, Emily Woodshearth, had fallen out of the clique and wanted to get back at her so-called friend. Turned on the charms a bit, acted sympathetic, and I learnt that she was getting all her best marks from looting other student's stuff. Well, the teachers were most grateful when I came up to them and said who was behind all the thefts recently. I'm sure Lucy will have time to appreciate my appearance in detention with a 50 point loss for her house. And Emily is very, very grateful. Heh heh.

But that was one that went well. The one that went terribly, uh... Well, there's been rumors of an Acromantula population in the Forbidden Forest. That's why I haven't walked out of here, mostly. I went looking for them in Second Year. Maybe they could tell me who my real parents where? Long shot, but it'd be nice to be amongst my own kind for a bit. So got up in the middle of the night, spent about three hours walking around not finding a single web, and then the moment I head back to the castle I am buried under a mountain of prefects because some asshat snitched on me. I was in the shitlist for a while, especially when they found out what I was trying to do. I mean, they don't know what I am, but I think one or two of the teachers might be suspicious... Anyway, detention for a week polishing Quidditch gear, and some ghost - don't remember their name - watched me for that whole week making sure I didn't try it again. I loving hate Quidditch, so much.

At least I know to put more thought into my plans before I act on them. Make sure to bribe people, get on their good side, so they don't... betray me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

quote:

Question 1: Jessica Gail - The Cuckoo
The freedom from being someone else is nice, but don't you still have to worry about keeping your grades up for your real self? But lets talk about more interesting things. Have you tried turning into anyone besides Donald? How often do you slip into a skin other than yours, and what have you done as someone else that you regret?

Oh, well, I still have to do a lot of work to keep up. But, there's nothing keeping me from working while I'm someone else, right? Just being someone else is so relaxing, though. And, lucky for me, it turns out that the house elf that collects and distributes the Hufflepuff laundry is starting to lose her eyesight. So, I've ended up with some other people's clothes without having to do any work! And, well, it's not like I'm hurting anyone, just taking some time to unwind as someone else. It's so much fun that I usually do it every other day, at least.

I... guess that's probably why my grades have slipped a little, but it's not so bad. I can always catch up.

Although... my grades might be worse if I hadn't stolen one of the potion professor's coats. I was just so far behind, and I was desperate. But, I was able to go into his private things and check what potions we needed for the next test. I may not be the best at potions, but even I can memorize a few ingredient lists. I did so well that he even said something during our next class about my stellar work. I got a few jealous looks from the other houses, especially the Ravenclaws, but the Hufflepuffs were beaming. They treated me to some drinks the next time we went to Hogsmeade. I felt so awful that I threw the coat out right after I got back.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

Why don't you get along with your fellow Gryffindors?
How do I put this? See, even I've heard of this Potter dude, but -they- all seem to think that they're the coolest dudes on earth because they got put in the same house as him. They're like fratboys with wands. But - to indulge the stereotype - there's nothing to be all brave and legendary about anymore, is there? And I think that deep down, they know that as well.

quote:

And for all your complaining, isn't doing magic what everyone wants growing up?
Well, to split hairs, I was more of a superhero kid, but yeah, I suppose. And that's what makes it so much worse. The rules. No turning troublesome schoolmates into animals, no "presto!" and your homework's done. And certainly no magic outside of school, where certain neighborhood bullies wouldn't expect it. We can teleport, but you need a license to do it! Leave it to society to take the magic out of magic, man.

quote:

Even without wireless internet, what was the best moment you've had in the magical world?
Well, I didn't go out for the team or anything, but I was hanging out with a friend who had one of those flying brooms. Let me tell you something - I'm pretty sure I still have some bruises from that day, but there's not a whole lot that beats flying. I mean, cars suck but everyone in the muggle world still spends half their lives in them. I don't know why anyone on this side ever keeps their feet on the ground.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

GodFish posted:

Questions, Round 1

Diana Clementia Selwyn - The Gentry
Did you ever hope to escape out from the constant scrutiny of your parents when you left for Hogwarts? Sorry, stupid question, someone as perfect as you wouldn't want that. But anyway, it would have been hopeless. How have they managed to keep watch over and on you while you've been here for the last six years?

You think someone like me could go anywhere without their parents knowing everything about what happens? Trust me, they may not be here, but they have enough influence to know everything about my performance and life at the castle. Being who they are, they're friends - well, I say friends, but more like acquaintances - with powerful people.lLke the Board of Governors. Who have their own agents in the school like Professor Vega - the Astronomy teacher. I do something wrong, the grapevine grows, and two days later there's a letter addressed to me practically reeking of disappointment. At least I don't get howlers. Mother wouldn't dare to make a scene about my failures, because my perfect image must be maintained. As it should be.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

GodFish posted:

Julius Sinactio - The Queen
Moving past labels like Pureblood and Mudblood is good, very admirable and all, but, well... You are a pureblood, aren't you? And the members of your ga-club, what about them? Well, I believe you when you say you want to move past those labels, but some people are so untrusting aren't they. Who was the last person to accuse you of less than pure motives, and what happened with that?

Well, yes, I am, personally speaking. None of us can control who we're born to. That's the message I'm hoping to spread! There are a lot of pure-bloods in the club as well, but that's mostly because it started as my minions friends and like many pureblood families, mine kept me on a short leash as a child! Nowadays, we're much more equalized. Hell, Thomas doesn't have any magical ancestry as far as anyone can tell and he's one of my most reliable friends!

That being said, speaking of Thomas, he has a much more... Hufflepuffy friend named Norton. Very Hufflepuff kinda name, isn't it? Anyway, Norton has been raising Cain about my "ill intentions" and "nasty cultism" for months. Thomas has been ignoring him, but you know how that sort of person gets- all froth and tizzy. He's just looking out for a friend in the end, so I just had a couple of people take him through a day with us, show him what we get up to and how completely harmless it is! Introduced him to all the right folks, dazzled him a bit- no big deal. A little bit of friendliness potion in the drinks helped. Just helped, mind. No point in growing too reliant.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

GodFish posted:

Natalie Saul - The Chosen
I. Well. That's uh. Ambitious! You definitely belong in Slytherin, no question there. And I see you bought one of those Firebolts too. You might be a little obsessedDestined for greatness! Anyway, it might not be Voldemort, or a Basilisk, or the Tri-Wizard Tournament, or a horde of Death Eaters, or a Horcrux, or Voldemort, but with all the work you've spent searching for something important enough to stop that it'd make you famous, you've run into a few smaller problems that you've solved. No recognition, yet, but at least it's practice. What are some of the things you've managed to stop so far?

I'm glad you asked! Alright, here's the big ones. One per year, usually in the Spring. Weird how that works.

In my first year, after a couple students went missing, I managed to figure out that they were all avid Wizard Card collectors. Asked around, and it turns out there's some dumb superstition that you throw a "bad" card down this one hole in the third floor wall, and it'll give you luck with your next pack. Students have been doing it for over a century. Apparently, those cards all sitting there was a recipe for something bad to happen, and it finally did. Cards animated themselves into an army of more or less human approximations and started kidnapping the kids who'd cast them aside. Luckily they weren't that tough - Freezing charm worked absolute wonders. Unfortunately, beating up an Army of Trading Card Golems doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment. There were a lot of them, doesn't that count at all?

My second year involved a Harry-inspired incident. He got into a lot of trouble in the Forbidden Forest with an Acromantula, so I figured I'd do the same thing. Worth mentioning - I hate Hagrid. Those spiders are terrifying, and if you go deep enough in the Forest, they've totally taken over. What's worse, there's several different families of Acromantulas now, and they seemed to be at war with each other. There's carcasses and chitinous remains everywhere... it's legitimately the scariest place I've ever been. When I was smart enough to turn back before meeting one... I met one. Dropped down in front of me - only because I jumped back in time, though. First stupify bounced off, and it got me on the arm. I'm really glad it wasn't full sized - and that it bit me. Got a cool scar, and more importantly, it let me jam my wand into one of its eyes as hard as I could. Ran like hell after that, passed out at some point, woke up in the Infirmary. Not my finest performance. Lost Slytherin thirty points too...

Third year was kinda boring aside from me learning the Patronus Charm. Which did come in handy, because someone slipped a haunted cauldron into the potion's room that would summon a Lethifold if no one else was there. The professors couldn't figure out why people were passing out when they self-practiced, so I tried it out myself. Had one of my friends waiting outside to be sure no one interrupted, and sure enough it appeared. Actually though it was a Dementor, so it's luckily they're both repelled the same way. Sent my Patronus crashing into it, awesome little silvery mist-fox ripping and tearing at the horrible thing. Never did figure out whose cauldron it was, though.

Fourth year was a bit different. Someone had been leaving cryptic clues for me throughout the year on little scraps of parchment, always in places that I'd go by myself. At first the were all too generic, "something is wrong here" "have you figured it out yet" and the like. It honestly felt like I was being pranked. Later though, they got more specific. Kept implying a dark wizard named Roderick Brown was active in Hogsmeade for mysterious purposes. Which was strange, since he supposedly died twenty years ago, but I couldn't resist looking into it. Didn't find a dark wizard; did stumble into a nest of Red Caps. If my friends hadn't been keeping tabs on me, I hadn't been quick with my Shield charms, if they'd thought to lock the door... well I'd have been in big trouble. Instead it ended up being three on ten, but it was the three of us, so we obviously won.

Which brings us up to last year, when I almost died. Really - whoever was behind the Imperius Outbreak isn't my biggest fan. And at the end of the year, they let me know. It was a Saturday, late at night, and I was going to practice for Quidditch by myself instead of studying. Was almost to the field when I saw something blur out of the hedge in my peripheral vision. I spun and tried to hex it, but I just got punched in the stomach incredibly hard for my troubles. Sent me flying. Couldn't even breathe for a second, and by the time I'd stumbled to my feet I could tell that it was human sized, dressed in black cloth wraps like a mummy, and inhumanely strong. Also, magically enchanted; my first instinct after getting back to my feet was to stun it, and the spell just bounced off it. The only reason I'm even alive is because I had my broom with me - managed to get into the air, and started pelting it with hexes from there. Was kinda surprised when it leapt up high enough to grab me, but I swerved and avoided it. Then it started chucking bits of the stands at me. This went on for a while, because drat if an Enchanted Inferius - which is what I think it was - isn't tough to bring down. It even had the audacity to sprint off Hogwarts grounds to grab a portkey right before I won!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 10, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GodFish posted:

Maxine Collingwood-Vocaine - The Hollow
Stuck in Slytherin, you have my sympathy. What house do you feel like you would belong in, if you could pick for yourself? Being stuck fresh this late into a class would be bad enough, but not having any memories to help you along must make it even worse. What's the first hard social lesson you learned since you arrived at school, and who tried to warn you?

I'd like to think that I would have been sorted into Ravenclaw, if I had the chance. It would give me the chance to be an intellectual among intellectuals for once. Besides, I'm not social enough for Hufflepuff, I'm not brave enough for Gryffindor, and if I was ambitious enough for Slytherin these last few months would have been far more tolerable.

As for your second question, well, I suppose the time I tried to invite Gregory Twems to Hogsmeade. He's a Hufflepuff that used to be my lab partner in Potions. He has a cute smile and he tells good jokes and we had an open weekend to go to Hogsmeade coming up so I just decided to, well, ask him out on a date. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary, really. He turned me down, and I didn't mean to pry but I wanted to know why and the whole conversation got more than a bit heated and, well, it turns out Gregory has been dating Ravenclaw's seeker since fourth year. Authur Rich-something, I think. It was one of those things that everyone heard about but nobody knew, but since I haven't been a cog in Hogwarts' gossip machine... Well, suffice to say that we aren't lab partners any more. I should have listened to Jennifer when she told me I wasn't his type.

Oh, I'm referring to Jennifer Hoyle. She's probably the best friend I've made in this interminably annoying school, to be frank. I really only started talking to her because her bed is next to mine, but she's actually quite charming and intelligent once you get to know her. It's honestly somewhat surprising that she doesn't have a boyfriend yet... What? No, it's nothing like that. You can comment on your friends' relationship status without wishing you were in a relationship with them, you know.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GodFish posted:

Catherine Crowther - The Witch
Magic is only ask dark as the one who casts it, right? These spells are just older, subtler. Who was the first person you tried this old magic on, and what did you do to them?
Did you know that the Ministry has a department for dealing with everything from exploding bonbons to loving Quidditch regulations, but they don't have a single clerk working in child services? The closest thing they have is in Improper Use of Magic, and so long as the brats aren't using magic, them and their narcs don't give a poo poo. That is the beginning and the end of where the Ministry was involved in my life. You been using any magic where you shouldn't have been, little witch-let? No? Well, I'm sure you'll be seeing your parents soon, regardless. And then they shunt me back into the Muggle system. Which is utter poo poo.

So I've spent my whole childhood bouncing between foster homes. Usually, they would shuttle me off to a new home once they realized that I wasn't normal. They would try to pull the usual foster home poo poo and all the milk in the house would sour. You know how kids start using magic without being able to control it? That sort of stuff. Or I would get into an argument with one of their real kids and SUDDENLY I'm in a new home. I got used to it, after a while. I knew I wasn't wanted. I was the "problem child" that they shuffled between homes because that was all they could do. Nothing I did was illegal, as far as they could figure, so they just kept moving me along. Until I ended up in the Graves house.

Julian Graves was, and for all I know still is, a vicious drunk who somehow managed to acquire a horde of foster children to fill his old townhouse with. All the checks from the local council went to his habit, while we mostly had to fend for ourselves. For a moment, I thought it couldn't be possible. I knew things were bad, but how could they let things get this bad? This was around my second year, so I already had gotten ahold of some of my parents' notes, thanks to Mr. Perkins. He's the family lawyer; nice enough, given the kind of clients he's had over the years, but too busy to help me most of the time. So in the middle of summer break, without an owl of my own , I'm hosed.

See, Graves would get drunk. And when he got drunk, we would hide, fast. Because if you weren't quick, all the good spots were taken, you would have to just be quiet and stay out of his line of sight and pray that something you were wearing or you did in the past week or whatever he was thinking of at that moment set him off. I decided it had to stop. There was a lot of...unpleasant things in the Crowther family notes. Could have made his dick fall off. Could have done something as simple as make it so that he couldn't hurt anyone anymore. And then there was the one that would give him crabs. Like, actual crabs. Attacking his junk, forever. I shelved that one, you know, for later. The withering spell was...I'm not proud of it, but I liked the idea of parts of him falling off, and I still do, but it wasn't enough. It wouldn't get me what I wanted. Making it so he couldn't hurt anyone was just a patch, it wouldn't solve the problem. So I stole some of his hair when he was asleep.

He got drunk again, as usual, but this time, he didn't find anyone. He only found demons. Just like I wanted. The hex made him, and everyone around him after, think he had gone bonkers. He ran out of the townhouse, screaming about monsters and demons. He didn't come back. Next morning, the police came and we were all shipped off to new homes.

GodFish posted:

Magic is only ask dark as the one who casts it, right? These spells are just older, subtler. Who was the latest person you used it on, and what did they do you earn your ire?
He didn't get me angry I just needed to teach him a lesson. Maybe you'll understand if I explain.

This was in the fourth year, summer, actually, so I was heading into the fifth year. I managed to get into the Summer Programme. It was set up for "certain students in need of extended academic study". Usually it's dummies, but they make an exception for muggle-borns and orphans, which I effectively am. I knocked off most of my summer work in the first week, so I spent the rest of my summer in Hogsmeade, where I met Whitley Huston. He's the kind of kid that is Hufflepuff to his core. Meaning: He's not particularly brave, ambitious, or studious, but he's got heart. Really, he's kind of a dope, but I don't mind him. Anyway, there's a Head Shop down in Hogsmeade, and no, it's not a cute pun like every other goddamn shop in that loving town. No, it's where everyone buys their Nargle Nugs from old man Lovegood. I heard he used to own a newspaper, but he retired to Hogsmeade and now he's selling self-cleaning "decorative glassware".

Anyway, Whitley was a big-time stoner, which didn't bother me. In the summer, the school was basically empty, so there was plenty of room for him to find a place for get high and for me to study on my own. We'd talk every so often, around meals, around the gardens where he'd smoke and I'd watch the birds. Does that make us friends? I dunno. Anyway, we stopped running into each other as much. It wasn't that unusual. He had his friends. Sometimes they would disappear for a while doing, I dunno, stoner things. Like lighting their farts with their wands? I don't loving know, they just disappeared. It turned out that this time, he hadn't gone anywhere. He was just in the dorm. He'd gotten into something...weird. Looked like meth, but it glowed. I figure as bad as meth is, glowing meth is probably worse. This poo poo just plain hosed Whitley up and...I didn't like seeing him that way. I admit, I'll bum some Nargle Nugs off him every so often, but this was too much. So I decided to teach him a lesson. Like what I did to Graves, but tamer. Just enough to scare him off the harder stuff. It worked...kind of.

Whatever he saw, it made him take a tumble down the common room stairs. Busted up his leg pretty bad. I felt guilty, but we spent the rest of the summer together and he didn't touch the crystal anymore so it wasn't all bad.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just did the math and the 2014-15 schoolyear would have been the right year for a Triwizard Tournament. Assuming that they didn't re-retire it. Or brought it back again but decided to start in an odd year.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

I just did the math and the 2014-15 schoolyear would have been the right year for a Triwizard Tournament. Assuming that they didn't re-retire it. Or brought it back again but decided to start in an odd year.

2014-15 is also pretty much the year that the kids born in the post Wizard World War baby boom would be entering Year 6. Ugh, so many loving classmates named "Harry".

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TychoBrahesNose posted:

2014-15 is also pretty much the year that the kids born in the post Wizard World War baby boom would be entering Year 6. Ugh, so many loving classmates named "Harry".

And the one kid named "Ron" who always says it's for his grandfather but no one cares and no one asked.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Sorry, but this just isn't coming together. I'm going to put this away and make your job easier, Godfish.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 8, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Alright, this got apps even faster than I'd expected, and everyone one of them is so good that I could just pick 4 at random and have an amazing game, so I'm going to move the deadline for apps up to wednesday evening, so roughly 3 days from now. Hopefully that still leaves enough time for everyone who wants to app to get one in.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Alright. Yeah. I can do this. It's just another year, right? Nothing to worry about. Except people finding out that I'm an unregistered werewolf, and being scared of me and teasing me and calling their parents to get me expelled. Or wolfing out and hurting someone. Or eating someone's familiar. Or howling at the moon in front of someone. God, why did I have to be born into such a stupid bloody family? Ma is always so bloody proud about it, keeps going on about the 'ancient and sacred cultural traditions' that I was get to live up to. Like what, Ma? Being an outcast and living in a tiny cottage in the Hebrides like Da? Spending every day doped up to the eyeballs on Wolfsbane Potion and Valium, smiling at your 'coworkers' while they call you a beast behind your back, like you? There are still teachers at this school who had friends killed or changed by Greyback. I just...I just wanted a chance to grow up normal, but I guess growing hairy and insane with rage meant more to you than my happiness. I swear when I get out of school I'm moving to...Australia or something, so I never have to see you again.

quote:

Name: Fergie Lowell

Look: unkempt, wolf eyes

Origin: Born a wolf (sort of)

Stats: Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0

House: Gryffindor. Mostly just to spite Ma and Da. Hat didn't seem to mind.

Wand: Hornbeam and dragon heartstring, ten inches long, rigid. Inherited.

Familiar: Weasel, called Fenny to annoy Ma and Da by belittling their hero.

Werewolf Moves

Howl at the Moon
When basked in moonlight, add 2 to your Dark score.

Spirit Armour
When basked in moonlight, any harm that you suffer is
reduced by 1, and you add 2 to hold steady rolls.

Your Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.
You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance.
Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you
now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Advancement
Take another Werewolf move.
Take another Werewolf move.
Take a move from another Skin.
Take a move from another Skin.
You belong to a Wolf Pack.
Add 1 to Hot (max 3).
Add 1 to Cold (max 3).
Add 1 to Volatile (max 3).
Add 1 to Dark (max 3).

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit
connection with them. Until either of you breaks that
spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1
to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that
connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave
power and dominance, and those are earned through
bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they
must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape
your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really
care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

One secret they have discovered during their time at Hogwarts
I'm not the only werewolf here. I don't know if the other one (ones?) are teachers, students, or what, but I can smell them. Not just out in the woods, but around the Great Hall, in classrooms, all over the place. It's kind of eerie, especially seeing as this place isn't exactly ideal for keeping yourself a secret. I only manage with a little help from an old friend of the family, so who is protecting the others?

Information on one teacher or student, including what everyone "knows" about them

Professor Susan Armstrong is a friend, or was a friend (they don't exactly seem close these days), of Ma's when they were in school. She knows about my little 'moon problem' and coincidentally makes sure I have detention whenever the moon is full, supplies me with wolfsbane potion, that sort of thing. I'm not actually sure what she teaches? Rumor suggests she's some kind of security, maybe even an Auror, placed on campus to keep a lid on student shenanigans. If that was true she should have reported me to the Ministry by now, though. She's pretty cool either way, sucks that she only thinks of me as a problem dumped on her.

One suggestion for a game thread title
Harry Potter and the Terrible Decision-Making Skills.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 8, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Harry Everard Vane

"Don't call me 'Harry', god drat it! The name's Everard! Yeah, I was officially named after the most famous wizard of all time -- I mean, who wasn't that year, after everything that went down? Especially when your mother harbored a secret crush on Mr. Potter the entire time she was in school with him. Of course, she never admitted that to me, but the way she still talks about him, just -- eww! Of course, that was extra misery heaped on me, because seriously, who is going to live up to those expectations? And not having a father around when I was growing up didn't help much either, but don't get me started on that one!

"Of course mom tried really hard, but despite -- no, actually, thanks to her best efforts, I never really did fit in. Even when I was invited along to play Aurors & Death Eaters with the other kids, they always made me be a Death Eater -- and not one of the cool ones either, like You Know Who. I tried hanging out with Muggles every now and then, just to get away from the whole 'wizarding' scene, but it turns out non-magical folks don't like you correcting them about how spells really work when they're trying to play Dungeons and Dragons. So that didn't last too long. Eventually I made it to Hogwarts, but the hits kept coming. Like getting sorted into Ravenclaw: what a monstrous joke, given that I didn't even have the benefit of the big brains that most of the other unpopular kids had.

"Finally, though, I met Professor Delphi, and everything changed. You might think having an adult take an interest in you like that would be creepy as gently caress, and you wouldn't be wrong. Yeah, I had to sign that thing with a drop of my blood, but come on -- it's not like he's a secret Death Eater or anything, and he hasn't asked me to do anything really, you know, wrong. Plus, I'm finally doing well in my classes -- hell, I even got an "O" in both Arithmancy and Ancient Runes (sure, Professor D helped a bit, but I'm sure I'd have come up with that littera interpretari incantation on my own sooner or later anyway). And I even have a couple of classmates who were impressed with the new advanced charms that I picked up from Professor D's spellbook on the sly. Those guys are pretty cool and don't think I'm a total loser, so on balance, I'd call it a win. Even if D has been getting more pushy lately about introducing him to my friends -- seriously, what is with that guy? It's bad enough that my mom sends an owl every week, I gotta have some forty year old dude trying to relive his teenage glory days through me too?

"I still haven't gotten laid, though, but I'd sooner kiss a Dementor than go to my trusted friend with that particular problem. But maybe he's got a potion or something I can lift when his back is turned."

quote:

Harry Everard Vane
Skin: The Infernal
Origin: Bartered Soul
Look: Tense; Calculating Eyes

House: Ravenclaw
Wand: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! <Snicker> Yes, I am a 16 year old boy. Seriously, it's Pine with a Thestral hair core, 9-1/2" long.
Familiar: Poe the Magpie (Yeah, that's what passes for a "creative" name to a brooding teenager who wants to appear deeply thoughtful and literary.)

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: 2

Infernal Moves:
Soul Debt: Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Bargains:
    - The Power Flows Through You: You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).
    - Elsewise Power: You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Dark Recruiter: When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Sex Move: When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self: You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory:
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

One secret they have discovered during their time at Hogwarts: "It turns out the Forbidden Forest isn't nearly as bad as its rep, especially if you're with somebody who knows the paths well and can maintain a Via Absconditus charm to keep the assorted creatures from sniffing you out. Man, there's a sweet stash of herbs out there -- and they aren't the kind that Professor Barrington keeps in the greenhouse, if you know what I mean. D tells me that they are an important part of his Xylomantic Prognostications, but if there's anything I know how to spot, it's a fellow stoner. Hey you want me to try to hook you up?"

Information on one teacher or student, including what everyone "knows" about them: "You mean apart from the 'harmless' Professor Delphi taking an unhealthy interest in one (or possibly more) of his students? Yeah, that's not news to me either. D did hint to me that one time that he has dirt on lots of teachers -- but who cares which old nag is addicted to Polyjuice Potion, right? It's not like that any of that matters. It's the other students who can really do an Avada Kedavra on our social lives (or maybe even our real lives, if the old stories about You Know Who are true). So any ammo we can get on them -- especially the popular ones -- helps, right? Well did you hear about Adrienne, the exchange student from Beauxbatons -- you know, the hot one, right? Well, she got put in Hufflepuff for the year, but some of the Slytherins are calling her the "House Broomstick" behind her back. Because everybody gets a ride, get it?" <Snicker> "I dunno, she seems cool to me though, so maybe it's just the others being jealous. I'll get back to you if I discover that the 'Broomstick' rumors turn out to be true, though." <Snicker>

One suggestion for a game thread title: I floated Harry Potter and the Cruel Intentions in my earlier post, but I'm kind of amused by Harry Potter and the Blue Balls at the moment.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 6, 2015

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Artemis "Artie" Armistead

Skin: Gorgon
House: Slytherin
Look: Awkward, Nervous eyes, Ordinary hair
Origin: Cursed(?)
Stats: Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1

This has been the worst summer ever. My parents divorced, my only friend moved to America, and, oh yeah, I'm a monster.

Sorry Journal, that was kind of dramatic. Especially after not writing in you for so long. I guess I should start with the dream. There were snakes. Lots of snakes. Biting me all over. I never remember my dreams for long after I wake up, but I remember this one. Ugh. Still, I didn't think much of it at the time, just a weird nightmare, right?

But when I said hello to my mom that morning and our eyes met, she paused with her mouth half open and looked at her only daughter with a look of terror like I've never seen before. After a few awkward moments she turned away, and she hasn't looked at me since.

And it hasn't been any better since I got to Hogwarts, either. It was bad enough when everyone just ignored me, but now they seem to actively avoid me. There's this queen bee always hanging out in the Slytherin common room, and the other day she thought it would be fun to get in my way and make fun of the quiet little nerd who shouldn't be in Slytherin. She finally told me to stop staring at the ground and look at her, like she was scolding a child. So I did. Not just an accidental glance, but a full on stare.

She fell like a statue of a dictator getting tipped over in a revolution. Then she went to the nurse, and I went to detention for using the petrification curse on a fellow student. I even heard some of her cronies implying I used the Cruciatus Curse as well, though of course no one would make such a bold accusation like that without proof. Sigh. No one seemed to notice or care that I didn't even have my wand on me.

I know I should just tell a professor, but... it was kind of satisfying. Maybe we'll just keep it our secret for a little longer, okay Journal?

quote:

Moves
Petrification
Whenever you look or gaze into someone’s eyes, roll to Shut Them Down. On a hit give them the condition Petrified - or if they are already Petrified they take 1 Harm as well as other consequences. If harm from this move would kill them they turn to stone. If you can see through it you can Petrify someone through it.
If you start a session (including the first) with no social conditions, gain your choice of:
* The condition Scary
* The condition Freak
* Any social condition you’ve had before
* Any social condition agreed by the table

Oops!
Whenever you accidentally use Petrification on someone you care about, gain an experience point.

Head full of snakes
You can see very blurrily through the snakes on your head without petrifying people. They can pick things up, bite, and give you +1 to Run Away as you can always see what’s behind you.

Sex Move
If you and your partner can see each other when you have sex your partner becomes Petrified and takes 1 harm. The next time you meet, tell them either:
* You think you were a pity-gently caress, dare gently caress, or notch on their bedpost
* You think they were mainly motivated by affection and give them a string
Then they tell you whether you were right as either honesty or the audience demands. If you were you both take 1 forward. If you were wrong and they laughed at you they take 1 forward.

Darkest Self
You’re done hiding your gaze. If people can’t meet it, that’s their issue. You meet the gaze of everyone you encounter unless they are taking explicit precautions. If they try to hold your gaze you aren’t backing down. Escape your darkest self when either you actually turn someone to stone or someone takes 2 harm trying to talk (and stare) you down.

One secret they have discovered during their time at Hogwarts:
There's a class no one seems to know about. I got turned around one day (hasn't everybody?) and walked past a door labelled Conjuration Classroom. It was all dusty like it hadn't been used in ages, but I could faintly hear someone talking. I tried to open it just a peek, but it was locked tight. As soon as I pulled on the handle the talking stopped, and I got spooked so I left. I've never seen anyone with textbooks for it or heard anyone talk about it, but someone was there that night. And it sounded a lot like a lecture.

Information on one teacher or student, including what everyone "knows" about them:
Everyone knows Professor Abbott is weird. People like to joke that the Transfiguration professor is actually a squirrel or something that accidentally got turned into a person. When they're being more serious, they like to talk about how he did some seriously mind altering stuff back in the day and never quite came back from his trip.

Suggestion for a game thread title: I liked Wahad's Harry Potter and the Gaze Into the Abyss.

Ergonomix fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 7, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Second Questions
Alastrina Lunete Medrod - The Ghost
Trina, aside from your old 'friend' Secilia, who else do you haunt? Who was the last person to trigger your ghostly wrath, what did they do and what did you do to them? Have you ever regretted the consequences of one of your hauntings?

Alicia Elston - The Wyrm
Your help usually goes over quite well, tell me about your greatest success, design, romantic help, or academically. Sometimes though, things go wrong. What couldn't you get to work, no matter how you tried, and what has been your most disastrous failure so far?

Potential usefulness of 'forbidden' methods aside, it sounds like your unicorn blood revival hasn't been too pretty. A bit of the color fading from the world aside, how has your new need for power effected you, and what's the worst thing this new, cursed life, has driven to do in pursuit of it?

I suppose you haven't tried bathing in the blood of virgins then, yeah probably don't need to ask that one. (you haven't, right?)

Getting back on track here, how have you taken care of your need to feed? You mentioned luring off boys, but do you stick with a few or spread the love around? How have you been making them forget about it, or have you? Have any of your snacks turned into vampires like you, or if not, do you know what makes the difference between turning and being fed on?

So you're like... half Acromantula or something? Any idea how that works? Anyway, you mentioned earlier some fact about Acromantula mortality, but I'll be honest. Doesn't seem like a very big deal. I mean, what good did they ever do anyone? Just big ugly murder-spiders. What good have you ever done someone? And I don't mean getting someone else in trouble to cover for them, but like, unambiguously good.

Jessica Gail - The Cuckoo
Has anyone ever caught, or almost caught you disguised as someone else? If you could be anyone in the school (well, you can, so... this isn't that rhetorical), for any amount of time, who would you want to be, and why? What's stopped you from being them so far, and do you have a plan to get around that?

Robin Brickman - The Mortal
Ha! Good point. A lot of Gryffindors always did seem to have a bit of a superiority complex. So where would you want to be, if you could pick your own house now, ignoring motivations like a special someone who might be in a specific house?

To look at the other end of things from before, what's your absolute worst experience in the magical world so far? And the best moment in the muggle world?

In your perfection, in what ways have you seen fit to help those less fortunate around you? Of those you've graced, who most satisfactorily returned the favor, and who was the last to fail to respond appropriately? Aside from disappointed letters, what is the latest thing your parents have done to interfere or direct your life, and how did you respond to it?

As the head of the most talented club in the school, you've naturally attracted a lot of envy. As well all know, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies, but aside from lies, what has been the biggest outside threat to your position at the top? And speaking of threats, you mentioned Alora trying to usurp your spot, what was her latest attempt at that, and how did you shut it down?

Wow. I think I might have to revise my assessment of you after hearing all that. So, what do the other students have to say about your Harry Potter mania fangirling ... rivalry?

Now, I know your 'Ron and Hermione' know the truth, but do other people believe you when you tell them the stories about all the great things you've done over the last few years? Saving the kids from Card Golems had witnesses, but the rest almost sound like the boy crying werewolf.

I didn't say a thing! Though you did protest that awfully strongly. Well, I'll take your word for it, but has anyone else caught your eye, or have you been keeping them to yourself since the Gregory incident? On the subject, who has Jennifer been suggesting has a thing for you, and why haven't you responded favorably to them?

What regular part of life at school really makes you feel wrong? Have you told anyone, and if so, have they been able to adequately explain why to you?

Yeah, you definitely sound like a force for good with this. But, even the best of intentions can go wrong, what was the worst thing you've caused as a result of a spell, failed or successful?

The Ministry can't detect this special magic of yours, or at the least you never got a warning letter when you've used it out of school, but what else have you discovered seems unable to effect your curses, and how did you find out?

First Questions
Harry Everard Vane - The Infernal
At least your parents bothered to give you two names, right? Most of the poor suckers with that name didn't even get that. Just Harry H, Harry B, Harry T. But moving on, have you ever introduced Prof. D. to any of your friends? If you did, what happened afterwards? And who out of all of your friends would you want to expose to him the least, and why? What was something you asked Delphi to help you with that he took in a completely different direction from what you'd expected?

Artemis "Artie" Armistead - The Gorgon
Since I'm sure staring at the ground constantly does wonders for an already dying social life, what do you usually spend your time doing? Books and studying can only last so long. Is there any place in the school where you really feel comfortable or accepted?

Have you petrified anyone else yet? Who are you the most afraid of hurting, and who do you want to stare at the most?

Fergie Lowell - The Werewolf
So uh, are there any ancient and sacred cultural traditions?

I know Werewolves HAVE to transform on the full moon, but not much more beyond that. It isn't like anyone ever bothered to do a lot of research about them, just as far as it takes to kill them. Can you transform other times, or at will? Do you always lose control when you go wolf?

Even with getting monthly detentions to cover your trail a bit, has anyone noticed the trend and gotten suspicious? How did you deal with it if they did? Does any of the staff know aside from Professor Armstrong?

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 7, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

So uh, are there any ancient and sacred cultural traditions?

Running around butt naked, howling, never bathing and sometimes eating people. That's basically it. Ma goes on about 'worshiping the moon and the wild and not being afraid of your primal blah blah blah' but that's what it adds up to. Pretty much all of 'werewolf culture' is stupid and gross and a bloody joke. We're not a culture, we have a...curse, or disease, or whatever. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

GodFish posted:

I know Werewolves HAVE to transform on the full moon, but not much more beyond that. It isn't like anyone ever bothered to do a lot of research about them, just as far as it takes to kill them. Can you transform other times, or at will? Do you always lose control when you go wolf?

Yeah, the full moon is the bad one. Without the potion it hurts so bad you just go crazy, and then you wake up under a hedge with no clothes on and your mouth tastes of blood and you hope you bit your cheek but you know deep down that you didn't. Other times...some werewolves can control it a bit. Greyback could change whenever he wanted, but he was a freak. If you get angry enough it can happen even if there's a little bit of moon, during the day even. I've only changed without the full moon a couple of times, and I wasn't...completely out of control, but I wasn't exactly normal, either. No filter between the brain and body, you just...do things. Sometimes really stupid things.

GodFish posted:

Even with getting monthly detentions to cover your trail a bit, has anyone noticed the trend and gotten suspicious? How did you deal with it if they did? Does any of the staff know aside from Professor Armstrong?

If I said it was a Ravenclaw would you be even a little bit surprised? Nah, me neither. Zhong Chou thinks he is so clever, snoops around where he isn't wanted and asks really personal questions. If he pushes too much I might push back, but on the stairs. So far he's just asking questions, though. I don't think he has any real idea. I guess the Headmaster knows? He's have too, right? Even if Armstrong hasn't told the Ministry?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Always watch for the quiet ones...

Himeko Okuda, the Wyrm

I never understood the Sorting Hat's decision, until today.

At the time, I didn't have the context to question it. That I came here at all was my main concern, with a world so full of wonder and light, somewhere that I could finally belong, somewhere I could really feel like I was learning something I couldn't learn from a book Maybe I could learn to be less shy, less small, less sickly...make some friends I could talk to on the same level, escape the watchful indifference of my parents and the cruelty of my fellow students. Compared to magnet schools, it seemed like the rational choice to make - there was never going to be another opportunity like this.

Here I am, years later, seeing the world I thought was so wonderful, that gave me hope for my future, show that its wonders were matched equally by ignorance and helplessness. A world closed off from the outside, the outside that holds all my fascinations - electronics, computing, robotics, animation - demonstrates that I will never truly belong here every hour of every day. The House I joined without knowing what it meant is filled with those who hate, actively or passively, everything I am - race, family, sexuality. A mudblood who doesn't like boys doesn't have a place here, in the house of wizarding purity...and even if that weren't the case, even if everyone left me alone, this place is so backwards and hidebound that, after a while, I started to think I would've been better off at that magnet school.

...I don't think that anymore.

There's a appeal, in magic. An appeal that almost makes me understand why someone would spurn everything else for it. A power the likes of which, in some cases, can surpass the mundane world. A wizard would have no chance to beat someone with a gun, but who says that's where the fight is? The minds, the hopes, the dreams of mundane humanity...drawn into your desires by potions and charms and secrecy...

And I've come a long way. The secret of this house is that it's made up, largely, of those who feel entitled to power...and who will never have anything close to what they convince themselves they do. Bloodlines are meaningless - knowledge alone is what makes a wizard great. And a Muggle's knowledge, too - modern psychology and sociology , and I've spent a very long time trying to figure out how people work. I'd like to think I'm good at it, and the number of closet cases in my dorm alone are so obvious as to be laughable.

There are things I want, and I will have them. And I'll prove to Slytherin's worst that not only do I belong in this house, I belong in it far more than any pureblood ever will.

quote:

Himeko Okuda, the Wyrm
Exp: 0/5
Harm: 0/4

Look/Origin
Quiet, greedy eyes
Heart got so black

Stats
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves
Bargaining Ceremony
Drinking tea, sharing a cigarette, playing chess, or sitting back to back are all ceremonies.
When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain. This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves. When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.

The Bait
You have a collection of beautiful things – maybe zines, jazz records, or old jewelry. When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy. They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours. Also, choose one:
  • they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them,
  • the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Jealous Coils
When anyone gets close to someone you covet and you act territorial, roll with dark. On a 10 up, both: they lose a String on your coveted, and you gain a String on your coveted. On a 7-9, gain a String on your coveted, and your coveted chooses:
  • they give you a Condition,
  • you say something you'll regret.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy:
  • Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection.
  • Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well.
  • Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like.
  • Give me a String on you, and then give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague. You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do. You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Backstory
Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.”
If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String.
If they're merely currency, take a String on them. Read them this: "Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

Pictured here, under great duress as I understand it, to welcome Muggle-born students from within London. Come to think of it, that's where we met...

Brunhilde von Alfons the Fourth, Professor of Sixth-Year Alchemy

Quite simply, my nemesis.

I mean, if I'm frank...she's beautiful, immensely intelligent, impassioned, and deeply invested in her classes. But her opinions on Muggle science are...lacking, at best. I wouldn't characterize her as prejudiced against Muggles or their wizard progeny, and she has in fact defended my sexuality and place in Hogwarts on more than one occasion, but she is quite clear that she sees no reason for the scientific expertise or technology of Muggles...which puts her and/or me in prime position to start arguments with her pretty much constantly.

I'm sure part of it is her title, too. Being one of the largest wizarding families in Germany, and the Durmstrang Institute's finest students, does tend to go to your head. (Plus, the latter's pretty anti-Muggle, even after the war.)

I've had her for a few classes here and there, and each time...it hasn't exactly gone well. (As in, 'lost the House Cup over arguments with her' not well.) I don't expect Alchemy to go any better, nor do I expect bringing the Muggle world's chemistry into things to reflect well on my marks, but...there's just something about her that makes me want to challenge her. As though she's the wizarding world's scientific ignorance given curvaceous, pale-skinned, imperious and endlessly inspiring form.

...okay, there might be other reasons, too...

A light-emitting diode? May as well be magic here - but this is just one of my many experiments.

The Collection

The first year I went to Hogwarts, I brought my laptop, my cell, my Raspberry Pi, my breadboards, wires and batteries and everything...everyone having neglected to tell me, or I forgot, that none of these things would work. This was a cause of much snickering from the purebloods, for a time.

Since then, I've endeavored, as I learn about magic, to learn how and why this happens, rather than follow the path of least resistance and embracing the ways of the wizard. (It's not like stopping would make my bullies go away, after all - being a mudblood is all they need.) The wizarding world has adopted replacements in their own way, and sometimes even made their replacements reflect their Muggle equivalents, but I want to go beyond that.

So my collection grows. Electronics, impromptu batteries, test circuits, simple chips and toys. All to see how to replace electricity with magic, or make it magic-proof. There's a certain measure of curiosity over it, and such has been stolen more than a few times, though nothing vital. I feel like, if I work at it, I can bring all the conveniences of Muggles to this world, in one way or another, and show them the benefits of technological advancement.

Of course, that's not the only thing in my collection. I've brought a lot of reading material - the manga is a particularly hot sell, even among the purebloods - and things like Lego to tinker with on my off time. Most of the friends I've made, I've made over my possessions, and I've made sure to bring as much of them as I could this year.

After all, for so many wizards, this is the only chance they'll get to see these things, right? All the better for them to get closer to me.

It knows.

The Secret of the Sorting Hat

Since I learned of Slytherin's largely distasteful nature, and especially since I admitted to myself that the Hat was right all along, I had wondered about how it functions. The usual understanding is that it learns what a person represents, values, and desires - all quite simple things to ascertain. And there is wiggle room for its judgements, which can sometimes be overridden by the student in question. But I think it's something deeper.

After watching every Sorting, every year, and paying quite close attention, and knowing how students grew and changed over time, I've noticed that it can take months, or even years for a Sorting's logic to become apparent. I have seen meek girls become Quidditch champions under Gryffindor's watch, I've seen bored dullards become rival geniuses in the name of Ravenclaw, and I've seen in myself and others how even the meek and kind can change into something Slytherin values. I can only come to the conclusion that the Hat not only has the ability to know a student's past and present, it also has the ability to determine their future.

The way it makes the decision isn't necessarily in the students' best interests, either. That's not how it works. It seeks the future that others desire and how they can grow into something the leaders of the House would want...but it would never seek to teach someone humility or tact unless they desired it. Its logic escapes me to an extent, but one thing is for sure - the Sorting Hat is never, ever wrong, except where a student intervenes in its decisions. The depth and accuracy of its decision making simply can't be explained by chance, coincidence, or insight...only knowledge of the countless possibilities in a student's future.

I'm convinced no one cares enough to examine it in this way, but it's not a difficult conclusion to come to if you're actually looking for it...just another tradition of the wizarding world, I suppose...

Thread Title
Harry Potter and the Closet of Malfoy

I'll fill in the Backstory later, but do tell me in some manner if you want things. (And before you say anything, there are Japanese disapora in London! I checked and everything, though Himeko's second or third generation.)
Also, TOTALLY UNRELATED:

Subtext? Me? Perish the thought.

Queen Fiona fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 7, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

GodFish posted:

First Questions
At least your parents bothered to give you two names, right? Most of the poor suckers with that name didn't even get that. Just Harry H, Harry B, Harry T. But moving on, have you ever introduced Prof. D. to any of your friends? If you did, what happened afterwards? And who out of all of your friends would you want to expose to him the least, and why? What was something you asked Delphi to help you with that he took in a completely different direction from what you'd expected?

God, now that you put it that way, maybe I'm lucky that my mother didn't give me the middle name Harry too! How screwed up would that be?

And in answer to your question: Nah, D hasn't really met any of my friends -- well, not outside of class, anyway. When he first started tutoring me a while back, he was all "this will just be our little secret", which is why it surprised me when he suddenly changed his tune at the beginning of this year. I joked about him living vicariously through me before, but even a washed-up old has-been wouldn't normally be so pushy about getting in on the students' cliques -- especially not the unpopular students'.

I first noticed the change when I came in on the Hogwarts Express and I was in the courtyard chatting with Gustavus about his summer in Egypt (lucky bastard!), and D came up and wanted to chat, like he cared about our summer break too! What's worse, he even showed up in the Ravenclaw common room twice last week! The others decided just then they had to be someplace that was else, and I was left alone with D yet again. I tried to play it off like he was coming to see me about signing up for Advanced Arithmancy or something, but Catherine, Diana, Alicia, and even Georgina all started giving me poo poo about my "boyfriend" anyway. I don't think D would have liked me showing off what I learned from him, but I had to give them something to shut them up. It turns out they were actually cool and were willing to keep quiet about it -- for now. But it was definitely a good thing Gustavus is in Hufflepuff; if he had been in the common room and seen what I did, he might have gotten a broomstick up his butt about wanting to learn it too! And I'm just not ready for that…don't get me wrong, I'm not, like, in love with Professor D. It's just that, you know, maybe he won't have time to tutor me too, if he starts helping too many other students. And Gustavus isn't even taking Advanced Arithmancy this year, so there's no reason for him to need D's help anyway.

So anyway, Regina has probably even told Julius about D's little visit to see me -- and once the Slytherins know, you can be sure the whole school knows! So I'm expecting to start getting poo poo for being a "Teacher's Familiar" now, and D is almost certainly going to keep at it too, until I give him what he wants.

As for what Professor D and I do with our time…you remember when the Headmaster congratulated me -- in front of everyone in the banquet hall, no less! -- for my scholarly treatise on Ancient Babylonian Astromancy that got accepted to Monthly Notices of the Royal Thaumaturgical Society? Yeah, D helped me with that, even though he didn't want any credit for it. And despite the rumors you're going to start hearing, he does actually tutor me…it's just that a lot of the time when we're doing various Divination exercises, he starts asking personal questions too. That's what's extra weird -- if he were really, like, evil or whatever, you'd think he'd ask me to, like, murder his rivals or his ex-lovers or something. Or he'd just drop an Imperius Curse on me and I'd just do his bidding with no one the wiser. But no, he's been content to just ask questions so far. Which, to be honest, is almost more unnerving, because I really just don't know what he is after...

Oh poo poo, I just realized something! In our last session, I got to the part in Seers and their Subtle Magicks about Legilimency, and D suggested we just skip over it for now. If he doesn't want me to learn about reading people's minds, then maybe he's been using it on me this whole time! So all this stuff I've been keeping in about my family, my past, my friends, my classmates, my teachers, even D himself -- he might know all of it now! Oh, man…what is that spell that we heard about in DADA that keeps people out of your mind? Occycontin? Oculus Rift? I need to go look that up, pronto.

Long answer short: Everard is not quite on board with bringing his friends to D just yet, mostly out of jealousy for his mentor's attention and/or fear of being replaced, but he's also clearly weirded out by his relationship with D, and if he were actually mature about it he'd admit that it probably can't bear any scrutiny from outsiders who aren't blinded by their own ambitions. Then again, if he were a mature, self-possessed individual, he wouldn't have gotten into this situation in the first place. Anyway, if the right person were to come along, one who didn't care about propriety between teachers and students, one who wouldn't tease Everard mercilessly by singing lyrics from an old 1980's song, but would just follow Everard's lead in learning cool new spells from his mentor, then maybe...

As for Delphi (assuming it's the real Professor Delphi, of course), he's obviously playing the long game. He's obtained plenty of information about Everard and those close to him, but what his ultimate intentions are is anybody's guess. Does he want to hook up with Everard's mom (ewww!)? Does he just want to corrupt a young and (relatively) innocent student? Will he ultimately seek to jerk Everard around like a puppet, or to steal his soul and face and replace him entirely? Or is he acting as the father that Everard never had purely out of the goodness of his own heart?

Yeah, if you believe that one, then I've got an Elder Wand to sell you…

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 7, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

GodFish posted:

Second Questions
I suppose you haven't tried bathing in the blood of virgins then, yeah probably don't need to ask that one. (you haven't, right?)

Getting back on track here, how have you taken care of your need to feed? You mentioned luring off boys, but do you stick with a few or spread the love around? How have you been making them forget about it, or have you? Have any of your snacks turned into vampires like you, or if not, do you know what makes the difference between turning and being fed on?

In this day and age, where would I even get that much virgin blood? The Hufflepuff common room?

So -- ick. Yeah. The hunger. Under any other circumstances, I'd never kiss and tell~, but we can just tell people I was spiked with Veritaserum, how about that? I have a reputation to keep up, you know.

Anyway, I've always been a bit -- how do they call it -- serially monogamous, that's it. After the Thing, it's been convenient to keep to my old habits. Something about the bite seems to make you woozy, like a sedative, so it's not too hard to sneak a bite in when I'm alone with someone. I tend to stick with one person until they seem like they're starting to have weird suspicions about me, then I'll do the eye-thing, so they don't think anything weird's been happening, and move on to someone else. I've even started snogging a few of the girls; the dormitory is such a secluded place, so why not make the best of it? It's actually interesting, too, because nearly everyone's blood I've had has tasted different, and not in a subtle way. I'm not sure if it's diet, or lifestyle, or hereditary (I'd love to try identical twins!), but it's something worth noting.

The very first time I... fed on someone... was entirely by accident. I was entertaining this boy, Tracy Abbot, who was sweet on me -- drawing up his star chart for Divination, actually, because he was hopeless -- but, like all boys, that wasn't really what he was after. So we got to snogging a bit, which was actually rather nice. Nicer than it'd been before. Something about the warmth, the blood rushing to his cheeks as he blushed, the feel of his racing pulse under my hand...

Well, my fangs kind of popped out. And I got blood all over his star chart! And my robes! It was a huge mess and I'm not even sure how I didn't kill him, though I think I came really close, because he passed out after and he looked really pale. Lucky for me, his memory of the whole incident was hazy when he woke up, so I told him he'd gotten too handsy and I'd Jinxed him. Then I was worried he'd end up a v-... I mean, the way I am, so I watched him carefully for a good bit. I don't think he did, unless he's insanely good at hiding it. If he had, I'd think he'd talk to me about it, right?..

And see, that's the other thing I'm upset about! I don't know if he hypnotized me or if I'm just stupid or what but I have absolutely no idea how this whole "turning other people into a ... What I Am" stuff even works, because I can't remember! I've read in the library every theory from just needing to be bitten (which I've clearly disproven), to needing to drain someone completely and then give them a bit of your blood (too risky to try at school; I can't just kill people here), to there being some kind of ... vampire-venom that a 'mature' vampire has in their fangs. I wish I knew! I wish someone would just tell me this stuff! I'm scared to ask the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher about it, because what if he catches on to why I need to know? It's just dead-end after dead-end, everywhere I turn.

Oh, well. At least I have a good long time to figure things out for myself, right?...

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Mala Silvers

Well to be honest the specifics of what life was like before the incident is sort of a blur at this point but I’ll try my best. Growing up I was a “go-getter” I suppose I’m told I was quick to take to both the academic and social aspects of Hogwarts life a fact that many of my old friends, teachers and family (well just dad moms no longer with us) attest to With a seemingly endless supply of tales of my past deeds. All in all I suppose I can safely say I grew up living a charmed life at least up until the my health took a turn for the worse that when well pretty much everything changed.

I don’t really have much to say about the actual days of the illness to be honest, I mean there are obviously all sorts of unpleasant feelings that come sickness that severe but for the most part it’s one of those things I can’t really bring myself to remember much less talk about in detail. Regardless it carried on for what felt like an eternity until one day on a particularly bad night I…well dad says it was just a fainting spell but I know the truth I died at least for a little while and he did something to... fix it I mean I wasn’t able to see what happened obviously but I know I’m not “me” anymore and nothing he says can change that.

Have you ever come back to a place after having not been there for years, you know most of the same buildings and people are the same but everything is well…wrong for a lack of better word like you know the feelings you had just don’t feel the same as they used to well that’s what every single aspect of life felt. That boundless energy I used to have just isn’t there anymore, all the fancy extracurricular stuff I used to take part in doesn’t seem nearly as inviting anymore and the friends I used to have just didn’t mesh with me anymore, the energy I used to find charming just sort of feels prying now I guess. The worst part about it though is the hunger I mean like I can still eat and stuff but this is an entirely different kind of hunger the sort that’s sated though less natural means.

quote:

Name: Mala Silvers

House: Hufflepuff

Wand: Cherry, Coral

Look: Stiff, Quiet Eyes

Skin: The Ghoul

Stats:

Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile:1
Dark: -1

Darkest Self:

You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between
you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed
relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone
restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to
regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with
[this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have
this Hunger, mark experience

Moves:

The Hunger

You have a Hunger for: fear
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls.
When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with
cold.

Short Rest for the Wicked

When you die, wait it out. Some hours
later, you wake up fully healed.

Your Backstory:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought
that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them
2 Strings.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to
life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other

One secret they have discovered during their time at Hogwarts:
Behind the suits of armor umm the ones with the hufflepuff emblems to the left of the main hall I can draw a map if you want there are illusionary walls nothings behind them but an empty closet but when I feel the hunger it’s the perfect place to hide and… well there’s a reason I haven’t told anyone else about them.

Information on one teacher or student, including what everyone "knows" about them:
Oh a student I know a lot about that one’s easy Murphy Grey we’ve been friends since our first year at Hogwarts, he looks tough but he’s always been kind and well as anyone can tell you more than a little high strung. He’s always come to me for help with his problems even after...that though lately I can’t help but feel a bit guilty being the shoulder he cries on, he’s been divulging some of his more intimate fears and I’m afraid I’ll start to enjoy it a bit too much you know.

Suggestion for a game thread title:
Harry Potter and the Terrible Decision-Making Skills sounds quite fitting.

Monk E fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

GodFish posted:

Since I'm sure staring at the ground constantly does wonders for an already dying social life, what do you usually spend your time doing? Books and studying can only last so long. Is there any place in the school where you really feel comfortable or accepted?

Have you petrified anyone else yet? Who are you the most afraid of hurting, and who do you want to stare at the most?

Well, actually, I like photography. My dad's a professional, and I picked it up from him as a kid. Ash used to model for me, she was perfect for it. Super pretty, I've got not idea how she didn't have a boyfriend. Since she's moved, it's just nature and architecture shots, now. Well, I say "just" like I'm not at the most picturesque place in all of bloody England. And, well, don't tell anyone, but I take a few candid shots, too. I know, invasion of privacy and all that, but it's not like I'm publishing them anywhere.

The dungeons are a good place for exploring, sometimes I just go down there and get lost for awhile. Good for getting some creepy photos and not running into people. That's also where I first figured out about my hair. When I'm alone it starts moving around on its own, shaping itself into a bunch of snakes. They mostly just wiggle around, but if I tell them to do something, they do it, and I can see faintly through their eyes. It's blurry, but they have much better vision in the darkness of the dungeons than my real eyes. So, you know, perks of turning into a monster. I've tried talking to them, but apparently being the one person who could actually get some use out of being a parseltongue doesn't mean I get to be one.

As for petrification, well, there have been plenty of awkward eye meeting moments. But as long as its only for a second, it's really more of a metaphorical petrification, like an animal that can't decide between fight or flight. The only other big one that happened was one night when I was heading back to the dormitory, I passed this Ravenclaw guy and our eyes met. I meant to look away like usual, but I just... didn't. He had nice eyes, okay? Anyway, at least he didn't fall over like Brittany, I must have caught him in a well balanced position. I just kept walking, he was probably alright, right?

Aside from obvious people like my mom (already messed that one up, huh), there's this one girl in Hufflepuff, Beatrice, who's always been nice to me. We're not exactly friends, but every once in awhile she seems to just pop up in front of me and talk to me for a few minutes before drifting off back to her usual group of friends. I'd hate for her to get scared of me.

As for who to stare at next? Hugh, definitely. You ever meet someone who just has the worst opinion on everything? And on top of that, was very vocal about it? He's pretty, and talks well enough that some people buy his crap, so he manages to keep a flock of admirers to back him up. But everyone would benefit if he would just shut up for a little while.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

GodFish posted:

Second Questions

Potential usefulness of 'forbidden' methods aside, it sounds like your unicorn blood revival hasn't been too pretty. A bit of the color fading from the world aside, how has your new need for power effected you, and what's the worst thing this new, cursed life, has driven to do in pursuit of it?

Well for one thing I've become a lot more ambitious shall we say, after all what is power without someone to lord it over. I mean I've never been one of the prettiest girls around to start with anyway and the unicorn blood didn't exactly do me a lot of favours there either i'm now even more pasty skinned and allergic to the sun.. But' that's by the by. You were asking about power. Yeah at one time I would've been happy just being another anonymous researcher tirelessly working to expand the frontiers of magic. But now, I want more I want power I want respect. If I've got this second chance at life even if I wouldn't have chose to get it this way I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it. I'd tell you to ask Maria-Anna Abbot. about what happens to people who get between me and something I want but then you'd have to send an owl to Durmstrang and who knows how long it'd take to get back from there.

Oh you didn't hear about what happened to her? It was quite a scandal. See the Abbots are quite an old and prestigious family after all one of the Sacred twenty-eight don't you know. Apparently her particular branch of the family tree was proud that unlike some members of the family they'd kept their pure-blood ancestry and were unbearably smug about it. Imagine my surprise when I heard that *cough* someone *cough* accidentally found out that Maria didn't quite share all her family prejudices, yeah I-erm this person caught her snogging some muggleborn boy in one of the more deserted library stacks. Now I have no idea what happened next exactly because I had absolutely nothing to do with it. But based on what I've pieced together it seems that mysterious someone just happened to have an Invisibility Cloak and a Camera and was able to get several good pictures of the two of them together. That same mysterious someone then immediately posted the photos' by Owl to the Abbot estate and addressed them to Maria's parents. The next part I actually saw myself along with half the Ravenclaw common room a Howler landed on her desk. Well there were some words I had to look up the meaning of let me tell you. Not long after she found herself on the first broom bound for Durmstrang.

See the thing most people don't know is that before that little incident Maria was widely tipped to be the next Ravenclaw Prefect. A fun job that gives an enterprising student all sorts of perks and privileges and a surprising amount of power and influence over their fellows. Now with her out of the way the position is truly vacant and well there's only going to be one candidate really. If I ever find out which smart intelligent and ruthless and extraordinary helpful person was responsible I'd give her a pat on the back for clearing the way for me.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

GodFish posted:

As the head of the most talented club in the school, you've naturally attracted a lot of envy. As well all know, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies, but aside from lies, what has been the biggest outside threat to your position at the top? And speaking of threats, you mentioned Alora trying to usurp your spot, what was her latest attempt at that, and how did you shut it down?

Well really, as always for student freedom the biggest threat is the blasted teachers. Prof Shrewsbury is on board, of course, but a lot of the other ones are constantly blathering on about "risky business" and "teaching the wrong things." So far their attempts at getting the headmaster to shut us down have gone unanswered, but I suspect most of them won't stop trying until us "kids" are back firmly under the thumb of their arbitrary points and dull lessons. Particularly the Gryffindor alums- I've heard the occasional whisper of "look at what happened last time we let a Slytherin gather a following."

On the other hand, Alora is more of a casual joke at best, but she did pull a pretty good one last time- Stunned herself in the hallway just ahead of a group of new recruits and blamed it on me! Classic gambit, and it worked too. Got her a solid voting block for the next meeting, started spreading nasty rumors. Could have been really bad, if I hadn't been warned by one of the new recruits with ambitions to move up above her. Fatal mistake that- trusting that your followers won't just betray you in turn. Anyway, I had the lad explain what had happened, everyone had a good laugh at her "little prank" and we all moved on, but now she knows I've always got my eye on her, and that's nothing but a good time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GodFish posted:

Second Questions
Yeah, you definitely sound like a force for good with this. But, even the best of intentions can go wrong, what was the worst thing you've caused as a result of a spell, failed or successful?

The Ministry can't detect this special magic of yours, or at the least you never got a warning letter when you've used it out of school, but what else have you discovered seems unable to effect your curses, and how did you find out?

Okay, worst thing. Worst thing. In my third year, there was this boy I liked, a Slytherin named Kevin Grandin. Like, I really liked him, to an embarrassing degree. His eyes were like, and his hair and his mouth...But he didn't know who I was. I couldn't work up the courage to talk to him either. So I found something in the Crowther Notes that I thought would help. It would, you know, nudge him towards me. And it worked, or so I thought. You know how sometimes you find out something you really wanted isn't what you wanted after all? Kevin wasn't the person for me, after I got to know him and he kept getting more and more obsessed with me. He wouldn't leave me alone. I tried to break up with him and he didn't get it, he just tried harder to get close to me. So I decided to try and break the spell. I made a fetish, like the original one, and tore it apart. And then he killed himself.

I tore the spell's page out of the Notes and burned it.

---

Yeah, as far as I can tell, my Hexes don't exist as far as the Ministry is concerned. It cuts right throw pretty much any form of protection, as far as I can tell. I'm not solid on all the details; I was second-year and the witches doing it were fifth-years--and Ravenclaws--so a lot of it came along the grapevine. See, there was this Ravenclaw girl, Euphemia DeFoix, she started freaking out in the middle of History of Magic. Understandable, because her hair was turning to spiders. A real nasty hex, all around, but within the bounds of what the Ministry's "boys will be boys" attitude towards assault. The school has this whole network of ancient wards, crazy powerful stuff. Seeing who hexed who is pretty easy, most of the time, so the girl who did it, another Ravenclaw, Cassandra Troy, got punished, Euphemia got fixed up at the infirmary, and that should have been it. But Euphemia, she had pride. She couldn't stand being embarrassed like that. So she snuck a certain spell out of a certain section of the Library, or so they say. You know the one. She waited, gathering her materials, feeding her anger, until she found the perfect moment to strike--one of those fancy dances the faculty loves to throw. The plan was to have it kick in right when Cassandra and her boyfriend were on the dancefloor, for full shock value. But that didn't happen. Dance went off without a hitch, beyond the usual witchy hitches, I guess. When Euphemia didn't show up for Potions in the morning, the Ravenclaw prefect went to check her room--and found a pig in her robes.

As it turns out, if you cast certain hexes on school grounds, it bounces right back to you, if you're lucky. Nastier ones can have nastier consequences. Euphemia found herself in St. Mungo's and as far as I know, she's still there. There was a big assembly and then nothing. My hexes? I don't get so much as singed robes.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Second Questions
So you're like... half Acromantula or something? Any idea how that works? Anyway, you mentioned earlier some fact about Acromantula mortality, but I'll be honest. Doesn't seem like a very big deal. I mean, what good did they ever do anyone? Just big ugly murder-spiders. What good have you ever done someone? And I don't mean getting someone else in trouble to cover for them, but like, unambiguously good.

Wow, loving rude! Hey, the orangutan's endangered too, and that's a useless pile of poo poo that doesn't even talk, but we're all for saving that because of its big sad eyes and because some fantasy author wrote about them! Acromantulas are thinking, living beings, provably more so than those apes, and we're only scared of them because they're creepy giant spiders. We've never asked them what they believe, or if they have their own magic, or if they just want to be left alone! Instead, we kill them and rip out their organs for potions! We don't even try! Wizards never try! We just ignore or kill anything we don't understand!

Uh... Sorry. I...

I don't know how it works. But yeah, I'm half Acromantula. I think? Like I said, I don't know my real parents. I mean, my foster parents are lovely, and they know about magic and they're all for me going to Hogwarts, but... they're not my real parents, and I wanna know who they are. I have that right, don't I? And... I just wanted to know. I hope it doesn't involve anything really gross, otherwise I will probably Obliviate myself. But I'd like to know why, for sure. Even if I'm just some weird experiential, I want to know. At least it'd explain where the extra legs come from when I'm mad, and why I can climb up walls. I mean, that poo poo is useful, but after a while you start to wonder what people taste like. That's not a happy impulse.

As for something good? Well... I risked getting expelled for someone. Uh, Corin Baudin - exchange student from Beaubatons, he's in Ravenclaw - he got himself lost on the third floor corridor. Completely out-of-bounds to students - if you listened to they're still got the hosed-up death maze from the rumors about the Stone or something and they haven't had time to clear it out properly. I saw him wandering around, just trying to look for his transfiguration class. I helped him out of there before the caretaker came along. Then I found out he sits behind me in Charms class, and, uh... yeah. The other students think I'm well in there. I, uh, have to think about that. He's, uh... Um, yeah.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

GodFish posted:

Alicia Elston - The Wyrm
Your help usually goes over quite well, tell me about your greatest success, design, romantic help, or academically. Sometimes though, things go wrong. What couldn't you get to work, no matter how you tried, and what has been your most disastrous failure so far?

Why or? Let's make it all three. Julie Moors, my greatest success to date by far. See, some people aren't comfortable with how they are, but it can be excessively difficult to change things up without having a lot of self-esteem issues, and it just makes things worse when the other students decide to berate you for it. It shouldn't matter that she went from pants to skirts, or her old name to this new one. She's shy, but extremely nice when you let her get comfortable. I just couldn't stand seeing people calling her the things they did, which frankly don't even warrant repeating. So I stepped in.

I didn't do anything extreme. I knew she was having enough problems feeling comfortable with her decisions, so it wasn't a good time to make her feel uncomfortable about how she looked. I just gave her a nice little makeover, put her in some cute clothes that hit her good points dead on. I wasn't the one who put the sparkles in her eyes when she saw herself in the mirror. She wasn't walking around hunched over and darting away from people anymore. She was a whole new person, and because she wanted to be. I just helped her look like she wanted to. We're pretty close friends now, even though she's a good three years younger than me. I felt like I really did a good thing there, all for someone else. That's what a designer should do.

Tch, and after that heartwrenching story you want me telling you about my failures. Well, I suppose I should face them just as well in the pursuit of perfection. Back in my fifth year I was part of Ravenclaw's big tutoring program, and the first and only person I got assigned was one Marcus Spliff. "Gryffindor isn't about the grades, it's about proving yourself to be the next big hero!" says the boy who intentionally failed out of Potions class in order to 'stick it to the man,' the man being Morgenstern who practically begged me to try to fix this dope's addled brain in the hopes that I would have the answer. Tuesdays and Thursdays for two painful hours I would have to suffer this moron's sheer incompetence as I foolishly attempted to put my all into making him think about something besides the Quidditch match on Friday. The few times I thought I might be making progress, he'd have everything I taught him forgotten entirely by the next session.

I was removed from the tutoring program after chasing after him with his own beater bat on the eleventh week when he simultaneously called my outfit 'hella gay' for the bright pink in it and attempted to ask me out to the Quidditch game the next night. On the upside, I wasn't punished for clubbing him three times in the head and once in the back with the bat because he refused to admit a girl had beaten him up. I'd say thanks to that it wasn't all bad, but I could have done that on the first week. Did help for my stress relief, though.

And my worst failure? Really? Fine. Let's say that perhaps I had a crush, and that I put the all of my creative energies in attempting to woo this person. I meticulously crafted an outfit that, given all of her interests, should have hit her right in the weak spot. I'd talked with her often, gotten to know her ins and outs, and knew exactly what to say and how to say it. Everything would be perfect, and I would just have to hope she thought the same way. So there I was, all ready and excited to ask her out for the dance on Halloween, putting my excitement in front of my feet, trying to catch up to her on the stairwell. A belt comes loose, a strap catches my foot, and I go just a bit past her and her friends.

Woke up the next morning in the infirmary. It's good that someone had caught me on the way down, but less good that I had practically unraveled from my outfit beforehand. Since then I've been woefully embarrassed to talk to her, three years later. I know it's... Silly, but after seeing someone half-naked and knocked unconscious I suspect it's hard to take them seriously. Reflecting on it, I should honestly know better than to let this get to me as much as it does. I should take a hint from Julie and simply stand up to it, but every time I see her I start fretting about just how ridiculous I must have looked...

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

GodFish posted:

In your perfection, in what ways have you seen fit to help those less fortunate around you? Of those you've graced, who most satisfactorily returned the favor, and who was the last to fail to respond appropriately? Aside from disappointed letters, what is the latest thing your parents have done to interfere or direct your life, and how did you respond to it?

You ask the wrong question. What ways do I help? When people come to me in need - and they do - I figure out what they need, and I provide, no matter what. Magical or mundane, material or matters more ephemeral - whatever it is, I provide. I indebt. And in due time, I collect my price. No matter what.

Of course, some decide to work their way into my good graces to pay off their debt. Some would scoff at this, but a friend is a far more valuable thing than a pawn who owes you a favour. Take Marigold Fairbairn, for example. She came to me seeking help, and I provided clarity for her muddled romantic life. In exchange, she became my fast friend, almost unable to be pried from my side. Which, in turn, has created the mostly favourable effect of giving me a human shield. Because, yes, I do have enemies, and they do try to strike at me if they are forward. Envy, anger at being passed up, revenge for a deal they were too stupid to specify correctly - you know as well as I that teenagers are prone to the stupidity of emotions sooner than the safety of rationality, so they strike out at me for a perceived slight, even if I did exactly as they asked. The unacceptability of this is a lesson Garrett Porcher still needs to learn. The lad heard I could help, so he came to me asking for an A on his Transfiguration OWL, last year. I drilled the knowledge into his head - almost literally - and an A is what he got. However, his newfound knowledge and talents left him...well, shall we say, lacking? in other subjects. A lesser mind can only hold so much, after all. Now he is convinced I have screwed him over, and plots ineffectively to destroy my reputation through bad rumours. It's almost charming in its patheticness. But he refuses to pay, and that is not done. So I will get my pound of flesh, sooner or later.

As for my parents...well, there was a child of one of the Families - I shan't name names, to avoid upsetting her once more, but it starts with L and ends with Ucretia Yaxley - who felt slighted by me. She went to her parents, who went to my parents, and you can guess what happened. I was to treat her with "the respect and dignity one of the Twenty-Eight deserves", and if I weren't, they would take funds from my personal vaults at Gringotts'. Now, this might not seem like such a big deal, but trust me - if my parents take something, they do not give it back, no matter how much I may atone for their perceived faults of mine.

So I acquiesced. I treated the girl with respect and dignity. But I had some others make her life hell in turn. One does not rat me out to my parents without retaliation. I believe she still finds toads in her bed occasionally. But it's hardly my fault. How could I even hex her bed? She's Slytherin, I'm Ravenclaw. I don't get down there. Thus, she doesn't complain to her parents about me, and they don't complain to mine. "Elegance in all things, my dear" is a lesson my mother always taught me - and I've learned it well.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

GodFish posted:

Second Question
Wow. I think I might have to revise my assessment of you after hearing all that. So, what do the other students have to say about your Harry Potter mania fangirling ... rivalry?

Rivalry is a good word for it, let's go with that.

As far as the other students go? From what I can tell most people just think I've got a crush on him. Which is definitely not the truth! Remember what I mentioned about his glasses? Not cute. It was worse when I was younger, by now the jokes have gotten old and people seem to have gotten over it. Plus I'm a lot faster with the Stinging Hexes than I used to be, so the other kids are a little less eager to call me Natalie Potter...

As far as Houses go, it's obviously created a bit of a rift between a few of the other Slytherins and myself. The predictable ones, really, the ones that look at the Second Wizarding War and come to the conclusion that Voldemort was the hero. They're bad Slytherins if I'm being honest - wholeheartedly dedicating themselves to self-defeat should have gotten them sorted into Hufflepuff. The rest don't really care... I'm upperclass and pureblood, so they're generally pretty willing to overlook my rivalry with HP. Ravenclaws tend to find it amusing. Some Gryffindors actually think it's neat, and I get along with them way better than most Slytherins. Doesn't hurt for me to be able to cite Gryffindors in my upcoming books, so I'm happy to play along when they joke that I should've been sorted into their House.

quote:

Now, I know your 'Ron and Hermione' know the truth, but do other people believe you when you tell them the stories about all the great things you've done over the last few years? Saving the kids from Card Golems had witnesses, but the rest almost sound like the boy crying werewolf.

Basically if they like me they either mostly believe me, or at the least pretend to. It does help that I have some evidence, some of the time - we definitely brought a Red Cap back to school in case anyone wanted to question it, which I then learned broke all kinds of laws. Whoops. Still, even if the Headmaster didn't give Slytherin any points for it, which was unfair, the teachers definitely knew what the three of us had accomplished. And when I ended up in the Infirmary after fighting the Acromantula, that alone was pretty good proof - I'd clearly been envenomed (not poisoned, I've learned the difference) by an Acromantula, and also made it away alive. They're not exactly famous for letting prey go... That Professor Angle takes me seriously has helped a lot, since most of the students like him. I told you he was the best teacher here.

On the flip side of that, kids that aren't inclined to be friendly to me also don't take my claims seriously. Which is ridiculous! Did the stands tear themselves apart when that Inferius was throwing chunks of them at me? All they'd need to do is talk to any of the students I saved last year from the Imperius curse... I'm definitely naming the biggest naysayers in my books. Make sure they suffer for having been wankers, the whole envious lot of them.

Erm, sorry. I mean, the public will have a right to know who questioned their champion, in order to make sure those individuals aren't accidentally given important roles in society. Due to their catastrophically terrible ability to judge the worth of others, it just makes sense that they not be trusted with important positions, it's not intended as a punishment for their slights against me. There, that sounds better.

I've got a solution though, to people not believing me - well they'll believe me after I catch whoever Imperio'd Anna, Herbert, and Talia, but I mean between now and then. Going to see if I can't enchant a camera to fly and take pictures on its own! That way, even if the three of us are busy, we'll have something there providing proof! It's genius.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GodFish posted:

I didn't say a thing! Though you did protest that awfully strongly. Well, I'll take your word for it, but has anyone else caught your eye, or have you been keeping them to yourself since the Gregory incident? On the subject, who has Jennifer been suggesting has a thing for you, and why haven't you responded favorably to them?

What regular part of life at school really makes you feel wrong? Have you told anyone, and if so, have they been able to adequately explain why to you?

I've given up on romance for the time being. I've had enough drama at Hogwarts already, I don't need to complicate things further by bringing kissing into it. Jennifer did say that Catulus Caecilious was interested if I ever felt like it, but he isn't exactly up to my standards. He spent most of fifth year out with dragonpox so I suppose we have that mutual outcast thing going, but let me be perfectly honest here. Catulus is the dullest person I have ever met in my life. I've had more interesting conversations with statues. Admittedly the statues I have talked to were rather droll, but that's not the point. The point is that it is going to take more than a sense of obligation to have a romantic partner to make me spend an evening with him.

And for the second question, well, you're certainly not pussyfooting around with these, are you? Well, since you asked, mostly Potions. Not because of the incident with Gregory, mind. That makes me feel shunned, not wrong. It's just that... You know how we occasionally have to taste-test what we make to ensure that it turned out right? Every time I do that it's just... nothing. May as well be drinking water. And it's not that we failed to brew anything worthwhile, because it always works fine when my partner tries it. I've always passed it off as the potion having an odd interaction with my medicine, but let's be honest. If it was that, something would have happened. Potions just don't work that way. Not once a person drinks them.

Yes, yes, I know I should talk to the nurse about it, or a teacher or my mother or anybody. I just... don't want to go to a hospital, alright? They make me uneasy. Afraid, really. Uneasy is a bit light when you hobbled up a flight of stairs to have your mother mend your ankle instead of letting the school nurse look at it just last week. So no, I'm not a particularly rational person when it comes to this. So sue me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
First Questions
Himeko Okuda - The Wyrm
Who have you formed the closest bond with over your collection? Who surprised you the most with their interest in one of your treasures, and what was the object of their fascination? What has been your best success at adapting muggle technology to the magical world, and what was one of the ways that you've leveraged interested in your goods to your own advantage here at school?

Mala Silvers - The Ghoul
Scaring people is easy, but I assume just jumping out from behind a suit of armor yelling 'boo!' isn't enough to satiate your urges, any more than a Cauldron Cake is a satisfying meal. What are some of the things you've taken to doing to beat your hunger, what was the worst thing you've done to someone, and did you feel bad about it afterwards? Do you feel properly alive afterwards?

Second Questions
I can see it now, Harry Harry Vane. That sounds kind of gross actually lets just keep going.

So, when you aren't busy with friends, classwork or your fairy god professor, what do you do with your time? Who would you say your best friend is, what problem were they having a few weeks ago, and how did you help them with it? Did you go to Professor Delphi, or do it on you own?

There was an incident involving petrification here at Hogwarts about 20 years back now. Obviously to anyone whose heard even a little bit about it, it's clearly different from what's happening with you, but when has that ever stopped people. Have you heard any rumors that you could tell were actually about you? Has any cute boy (or girl) caught your... not eyes lets say, but, interest? What do you think they think of you, and do you have any plans for making a move?

Have you many other werewolves back home? Like, family friends or whatever. Have any of them been decent people? Whose scent here at school have you found yourself the most attracted to? What happened the last time you changed without the full moon, who did you hurt, and assuming the issue of being a werewolf doesn't get in the way, which I will accept is a pretty big assumption, what would you like to do with yourself, here at school and later in life?

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

GodFish posted:

Himeko Okuda - The Wyrm
Who have you formed the closest bond with over your collection? Who surprised you the most with their interest in one of your treasures, and what was the object of their fascination? What has been your best success at adapting muggle technology to the magical world, and what was one of the ways that you've leveraged interested in your goods to your own advantage here at school?

Right now? My best friend is Sol Kada - I'm not sure where she's from, but given her accent, it's definitely not Britain - who shares a similar passion for Muggle technology, even though she's got one wizarding parent. She's...not really my type, mind, even if sometimes I think she's stuck in the Chamber of Secrets (or so the vernacular goes - apparently something about the war?), and she's a bit more into mechanical technology than electronic, but suffice it to say she sneaks over from Hufflepuff every so often to take a look at what I'm working on or reading. We've traded books and other niceties over the years, so if I were to have a 'best friend' around here, she'd be it.

If only she were a bit less...erm, lewd, if I'm honest...

The biggest surprise is easy - I never expected Sarah Macmillan, apparently doubling down on her 'heritage' arguments as a member of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, to find much value in someone like me. But apparently, there is an undeniable draw to her of my, um...more embarrassing obsessions. Suffice it to say she owns quite a few Pokemon-related books and magical girl stories under my , and I've even managed to get an original Game Boy working in Hogwarts for her to try the games out. (Well, for a little while...the end results thankfully didn't cost us the House Cup that year.)

She's downright friendly now, and since her family has been trying to shed its old associations for the past little while, doubtlessly she's finding it easier to, at the very least, not call me mudblood to my face. But, let's be honest...who else can give her what she wants? She knows she needs me.

Maybe I'll...make use of that.

As for adaptation...the biggest problem faced is that radio transmission of any kind is straight out. No cellphones, no wifi, nothing. Being capable of receiving such signals ends up breaking pretty much anything, or at best making it nonfunctional. (This has interesting implications for magic and its use, but it's certainly no coincidence that the wizarding world adopted a form of radio themselves.) The more complicated the device, the more likely it is that it won't work, and there's a fairly big practical limit on how much I can bring to Hogwarts to test - I can't exactly haul a load of vacuum tubes up from London, and Amazon doesn't deliver to ambiguous unmappable locations somewhere in what's probably Scotland, maybe, sort of.

So you have to work with simpler means, or otherwise, use magic to accomplish the same ends that you'd normally use technological means for. So a lot of my work has been less trying to get technology to work - it can be done, but only unreliably and, so far, with difficulty - and more trying to reproduce the conveniences exclusive to Muggles in one way or another. Keeping that in mind, I've created a framed slate parchment that, when pressed against a book for some time, is capable of keeping its text in memory. While I have no doubt the wizarding world would have a ridiculous name for it, it's an e-reader in all practical senses...and quite a useful thing to keep my magical books in while using my bags and luggage to store more important things. (Plus, the display resolution can't be beat!)

As it happens, there's a market for these devices. The magic behind them isn't terribly complicated, but it's still beyond the reach of a lot of students, even in my year...so I get favors every now and again. Sometimes I ask for a book, or for sweets, or for pranks. Standard British boarding school stuff, nothing too serious. Plus, the teachers don't consider them dangerous or anything (though von Alfons goes on quite a lot about the romance of a dusty tome when she sees one), so it's all above-board...assuming my patent application to the Ministry of Magic doesn't encounter problems.

And some times? Well, let's just say that when the only price for magical convenience is a kiss, another girl's lips don't seem so bad.

If anyone can provide pictures for our ambiguously south Asian immigrant and our no-doubt blonde-and-blue-eyed pureblood, I'd be rather grateful! Because even if I pride myself on doing it right, there's no loving way I'm going through so many cosplay pictures again, especially not to pick and needle for people who aren't white

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

GodFish posted:

Jessica Gail - The Cuckoo
Has anyone ever caught, or almost caught you disguised as someone else? If you could be anyone in the school (well, you can, so... this isn't that rhetorical), for any amount of time, who would you want to be, and why? What's stopped you from being them so far, and do you have a plan to get around that?

Oh, well, no one thinks I'm a shapeshifter or anything. But, uh, Jenny, one of my friends in Slytherin (Don't look at me like that; she's very nice. She just wants to be the first female Minster of Magic is all.), thinks I'm doing something else. One day, she noticed I wasn't in class, so she went to go look for me, worried that something was wrong. She's a good friend like that. And she found me just after I had changed back into myself. I'd been relaxing on the lawn as some especially small 5th year boy and lost track of time. So, I was half dressed, and um, there was a boy's clothing on the ground. So, she assumed the worst and immediately started pumping me for the lucky guy. I couldn't tell her what was actually going on, so I tried to play coy. I mean, it's not like she'd really force me to tell if I didn't want to, but she seemed a little disappointed. And she kinda stared for a while when she stumbled in on me. Maybe she... Nah, I've just been thinking about it too much. Anyone would have probably gawked. Nevermind.

Still, she's watching me like a hawk to try and figure out who I'm "seeing."

And as far as anyone I'd like to be? Well... one thing that'd be nice is to be someone where I'm not worrying about running into the real copy. It's the only bad thing about the whole shape-changing thing...

But you probably meant a specific person, huh? Well, I guess... ok, you have to promise not to laugh, ok? Ok... I kinda want to be the Headmaster. Look, it make sense. Everyone's just so intimidated by his presense, even though he's by all accounts a really good person. So, he gets to do pretty much whatever he wants, everyone's got to listen to him, and he can do his work on his own time. After all, he doesn't have a boss, right? Man, that would be the best...

Still. Fat chance I'm going to get my hands on his things, right? He almost never leaves his study except for meals and for the rare student he tutors.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Question 2
Himeko Okuda - The Wyrm
Putting Professor von Alfons to the side for a moment, who here at school do you find the most appealing? Is the attraction physical, mental, both, or something else? On the other hand, how did you deal with the pestering overtures of unrequited love you were facing from someone over the last year? Slytherins might look down on anyone muggleborn, and the rest of the wizarding world tends to treat anything muggle with mild, uncomprehending amusement, but how do you get along with students from the other houses who aren't interested in your gadgets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

GodFish posted:

Have you many other werewolves back home? Like, family friends or whatever. Have any of them been decent people? Whose scent here at school have you found yourself the most attracted to? What happened the last time you changed without the full moon, who did you hurt, and assuming the issue of being a werewolf doesn't get in the way, which I will accept is a pretty big assumption, what would you like to do with yourself, here at school and later in life?

Have I what many other werewolves? Met them? Yeah, a few. No-one I'd want to hang out with though, they're all Ma's age or older and it turns out with the Dark Lord dead being an unstable murderer is a less attractive career option, go figure, and so unless you're prepared to be registered and under supervision (they say it's all confidential, but when was the last time the Ministry kept anything secret or safe?) you get to be broke and homeless. I never got close enough to find out if any of them were decent people under the dirt and stench. Too much like looking into my own future, y'know? The last time I had a full moon change I was dosed up on Wolfsbane Potion and I just chilled out in the dungeon room Professor Armstrong set aside for me. There are worse ways to spend a night, at least I don't have to put up with my roomies snoring. I think maybe I ate a rat or something though, because I had the worst morning breath.

Whoa hey who said anything about anyone smelling attractive? I don't go around just sniffing at people like a dog! I mean, yeah, some people smell nicer than others by virtue of working out more, or hanging out with the better kind of animal, or being really good at potions or...Oliver Cauldwell. Hufflepuff, Year 7, Quidditch beater. Don't know what it is but he smells amazing. Not feral and predatory like a werewolf, or like a food animal, just...really strong and earthy, like a horse or clean dog smells, sort of.

The last time I changed and it was bad was...I was home a couple of weeks before Christmas. Couldn't avoid it. Ma spiked my potion, or put it the wrong cup or something - it's a real delicate mix, even a teaspoon of sugar makes it useless. No-one bothers working on an improved potion, because who gives a poo poo about werewolves? Anyway, the potion didn't work, I got out of the house and...it's kind of blurry, but I know I hurt someone, I remember tasting the hot blood, hearing cracking bones and screaming. Some poor Muggle probably out for a lovely moonlit stroll. Ma doesn't have a TV or even get Muggle newspapers so I can't be sure who it was, or even if it was more than one person. Whoever it was, I hope they died. I don't even know if Muggles can catch what I've got or if they just die, but being dead would probably be better.

Sorry, that got kind of dark there. Not saying I'm going to, uh, do anything. I've basically come to terms with it, but going through those first changes without having any kind of help...

Anyway, hope for the future! The issue of being a werewolf is always, always in the way. I've kind of got a rough idea of things I can do with my life that get me away from people, and I study hard to be good at the subjects that lead to those careers - Care of Magical Beasts, Herbology, Potions, that sort of thing. I mostly want to get through school without hurting anyone else, I don't play sport or join clubs that risk me losing control like the Dueling Society or whatever they call themselves. I have a few friends but no-one is going to be devastated if I don't show up to reunions or whatever in 10 years time. It kind of sucks that my career aspirations are 'try not to be a murderer' but that's life I guess.

• Locked thread