Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So our very own Ningyou and KPrime made a Monsterhearts skin! It's called the Gentry and it's pretty great. Would it be okay to app one? It still needs playtesting, and this would be the inaugural game, but it's designed fairly sensibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Even now that the war has passed, and things are much less hateful nowadays, the families known as the Sacred Twenty-Eight still are a force to be reckoned with in the wizarding world of the British Isles. Pure wizarding blood still holds sway in the right circles - and those raised by in such circles have a hard time letting go of tradition. But then, even for some of the 28, things have become a bit more...relaxed. When the only thing you need is to avoid Muggle blood, it becomes easier to see how some wizards are less inclined to interbreed over and over, and thus branch out to other avenues.

Like my mother. Not a wizard, not a muggle, but a Veela. Whether or not my father fell for her like so many hapless men have for Veela before or she was truly fond of him I shall never know. They certainly don't talk about such things with me. It does not concern me - but what does is that I adhere to the Rules. The Rules, do-this-say-that-never-diverge-from the Rules. Static, ageless, unchanging. Just like my mother. Who knew non-wizards could fit in to the old prison of tradition so well?

But you must forgive my transgression. I mustn't speak bad of the family. You won't tell, will you? Good. Listen, do you want to come to Hogsmeade with me? I'll buy you a new robe! You'll look just fabulous. The one you've got right now's a bit frumpy, isn't it? That's okay, though. Nobody's perfect.

Except me.

quote:

Name; Diana Clementia Selwyn
House; Ravenclaw
Wand; Aspen wood, Veela hair core - Powerful, temperamental, unpredictable.
Familiar; White Raven - Megaera
Look; Enthralling, sleepy eyes
Origin; Family Scion
Family Origin; Old money Blood.

Stats
Hot; +1
Cold; +1
Volatile; 0
Dark; -1

Moves

Sex Move
When you and another character have sex, choose if you believe it to be True or False love. If it is True, your parents are now upset at you unless it was the specific partner they had in hand, and everyone else you have Yours Truly on is healed of that condition. If it is False, your partner is healed of Yours Truly and gets +1 forward on their next action against you.

Darkest Self
Your parents were right. This is how they repay your kindness? This is how they repay you for the honor of your presence? The only thing left is to make them pay for every gift they took without deserving it. Systematically, you’re going to go down the list and get back what is yours.

Faerie Boon
You may offer someone else a faery boon, allowing them to:
- Open 1 passage they otherwise would have been barred from
- Take 1 forward on 1 goal for the rest of the scene
- Get an honest answer to 1 question
In exchange, they take the condition Yours Truly [you feel like you should be thankful, but also resent it a little, and it's definitely not completely above board]. If they spurn your kindness, give them a string.

Leanan Sidhe
When you Turn Someone On, on a 10+, you can give them Yours Truly instead of taking a string. If they already have Yours Truly, on a 7-9 you can remove one of the options.

Sans Merci
When you Shut Down someone with the Yours Truly condition, on a 7+ they take 1 harm at your discretion.

Background:
You sort those you are fond of into two piles, Friends and Possessions. They are both valuable, of course, but….different kinds of value.

Friends:

Possessions:

Someone has resisted all your attempts to make a friend of them so far. Give them two strings.

Someone would be happier as your possession than your friend. Take two strings on them.

A secret? Well, I can hardly tell you all my secrets just like that, can I? Tell you what. If you're good enough to avoid curfew detection and meet me in that little cubby in the Rookery, two floors below the Ravenclaw Portrait - I'll show you something I've stashed there. Don't try finding it on your own, by the way. I'll know - and you won't be my friend anymore. Or anyone's, for that matter. Professor Seacrest always did say I had a talent for Charms. I don't think he expected me to successfully layer a Confundus and Banishing Charm to leave you lost in the deepest bowels of Hogwarts with no idea where you are, though... He's clever, but he always seems to be a bit of an idiot when it comes to pretty students. Cassie Mulgrew- you know, that seventh-year Gryffindor girl - didn't get that A in Charms because she was such a hard worker, or because the Professor was such a great teacher.

Game title: Harry Potter and the Confusing Mess That Is Teenagers

Wahad fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 4, 2015

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'll answer my question tonight 'cause I have to go, but I just wanted to take back my earlier title and suggest "Harry Potter and the Gaze into the Abyss" instead.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

GodFish posted:

Questions, Round 1

Diana Clementia Selwyn - The Gentry
Did you ever hope to escape out from the constant scrutiny of your parents when you left for Hogwarts? Sorry, stupid question, someone as perfect as you wouldn't want that. But anyway, it would have been hopeless. How have they managed to keep watch over and on you while you've been here for the last six years?

You think someone like me could go anywhere without their parents knowing everything about what happens? Trust me, they may not be here, but they have enough influence to know everything about my performance and life at the castle. Being who they are, they're friends - well, I say friends, but more like acquaintances - with powerful people.lLke the Board of Governors. Who have their own agents in the school like Professor Vega - the Astronomy teacher. I do something wrong, the grapevine grows, and two days later there's a letter addressed to me practically reeking of disappointment. At least I don't get howlers. Mother wouldn't dare to make a scene about my failures, because my perfect image must be maintained. As it should be.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

GodFish posted:

Diana Clementia Selwyn - The Gentry
In your perfection, in what ways have you seen fit to help those less fortunate around you? Of those you've graced, who most satisfactorily returned the favor, and who was the last to fail to respond appropriately? Aside from disappointed letters, what is the latest thing your parents have done to interfere or direct your life, and how did you respond to it?

You ask the wrong question. What ways do I help? When people come to me in need - and they do - I figure out what they need, and I provide, no matter what. Magical or mundane, material or matters more ephemeral - whatever it is, I provide. I indebt. And in due time, I collect my price. No matter what.

Of course, some decide to work their way into my good graces to pay off their debt. Some would scoff at this, but a friend is a far more valuable thing than a pawn who owes you a favour. Take Marigold Fairbairn, for example. She came to me seeking help, and I provided clarity for her muddled romantic life. In exchange, she became my fast friend, almost unable to be pried from my side. Which, in turn, has created the mostly favourable effect of giving me a human shield. Because, yes, I do have enemies, and they do try to strike at me if they are forward. Envy, anger at being passed up, revenge for a deal they were too stupid to specify correctly - you know as well as I that teenagers are prone to the stupidity of emotions sooner than the safety of rationality, so they strike out at me for a perceived slight, even if I did exactly as they asked. The unacceptability of this is a lesson Garrett Porcher still needs to learn. The lad heard I could help, so he came to me asking for an A on his Transfiguration OWL, last year. I drilled the knowledge into his head - almost literally - and an A is what he got. However, his newfound knowledge and talents left him...well, shall we say, lacking? in other subjects. A lesser mind can only hold so much, after all. Now he is convinced I have screwed him over, and plots ineffectively to destroy my reputation through bad rumours. It's almost charming in its patheticness. But he refuses to pay, and that is not done. So I will get my pound of flesh, sooner or later.

As for my parents...well, there was a child of one of the Families - I shan't name names, to avoid upsetting her once more, but it starts with L and ends with Ucretia Yaxley - who felt slighted by me. She went to her parents, who went to my parents, and you can guess what happened. I was to treat her with "the respect and dignity one of the Twenty-Eight deserves", and if I weren't, they would take funds from my personal vaults at Gringotts'. Now, this might not seem like such a big deal, but trust me - if my parents take something, they do not give it back, no matter how much I may atone for their perceived faults of mine.

So I acquiesced. I treated the girl with respect and dignity. But I had some others make her life hell in turn. One does not rat me out to my parents without retaliation. I believe she still finds toads in her bed occasionally. But it's hardly my fault. How could I even hex her bed? She's Slytherin, I'm Ravenclaw. I don't get down there. Thus, she doesn't complain to her parents about me, and they don't complain to mine. "Elegance in all things, my dear" is a lesson my mother always taught me - and I've learned it well.

• Locked thread