Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Crow Jane posted:

Did they hang out with Joan's bird and Peggy's cat?

Did Peggy ever actually get a cat? I've seen two films in literally the past couple of days where Elisabeth Moss ends up with a cat as a consolation prize for being unloveable (Girl Interrupted and Listen Up Philip, for the record) and it made me feel a little better that Peggy overtly finds love at the end of Mad Men, rather than going with her mother's plan of a single life measured in feline mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crow Jane posted:

Did they hang out with Joan's bird and Peggy's cat?

Yes and they often disagreed if Bert's Ants counted as a pet.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

GimpChimp posted:

Did Peggy ever actually get a cat? I've seen two films in literally the past couple of days where Elisabeth Moss ends up with a cat as a consolation prize for being unloveable (Girl Interrupted and Listen Up Philip, for the record) and it made me feel a little better that Peggy overtly finds love at the end of Mad Men, rather than going with her mother's plan of a single life measured in feline mortality.

It moved in after what's-his-face got bayoneted and moved out.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 9, 2015

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Oh man. I should watch Season 6 again, all I really remember clearly is Ken tapdancing and Pete reacting to his mother getting pushed off a cruise liner.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pentyne posted:

Because he's living a lie, and no matter what he does there is always the specter of Dick Whitman hanging over him. You can see it when he's with Anna, he's like a completely different person. He always has the expectation of one day needing to up and disappear, and even though he doesn't consciously plan for it the second he comes close to getting caught he suddenly realizes he needs to set up a trust for all his money so his kids are taken care of.

Don is someone who cannot be fundamentally honest with anyone in his life, and those people who know about Dick Whitman don't really grasp the implications of what it means, so why would he bother being honest with his wife or hold to a rigid moral code? At his core he has the capacity to be a genuinely good human being and that peaks out from time to time but is brutally suppressed by his need for a distraction. Look at the hosed up things he's done over the course of the series

- Tried to pay off his brother to leave and never come back
- Constant philandering
- Treating Peggy like absolute poo poo sometimes when he needs an outlet (throwing money are her, berating her angrily after Roger pissed him off)
- Treating Sal like a disgusting deviant for not letting Lee Garner Jr. have his way with him

And then he'll turn around and not expose Lane and instead give him a life raft to escape from his serious crime because Don knows that when someone is caught in that kind of lie being able to walk away from it almost consequence free is like a gift from God.

Don Draper is one of the most complex and confusing characters of the last decade, and when the show hit it big there were a lot of magazines talking about how much women loved him even though by any standard he was a reprehensible bastard.

It's not just women...as a hetero male I can say I at times admire Don as a character, for being cool at times, dominating at work, and for those moments his humanity shines through, but also find it frustrating when he treats someone like poo poo, fucks up his life, or backslides.

You're also right about Don always wanting to be able to go at the drop of a hat. Of course we saw that early in the show, with Midge and wanting to go to Paris, and again and again, but consider his final arc. Think for a minute how incredibly difficult it was to do what he did in 1970. He got in his car and just drove west with the clothes on his back, and after a day was halfway across the country. No ATMs, no internet, and few places that take credit cards. You could write checks, but I'm sure by then it was difficult to get out of town checks cashed. Can you imagine how many times he stopped for gas on just that first trip?

Yet somehow flash forward a few months and he's tooling around the country, staying at motels, buying clothes, gas, food, maps. He somehow managed to access his bank account and money, perhaps even took care of finalizing his apartment sale from Bumfuck Iowa by phone. Logistically that's pretty impressive, unless of course Don had it all planned, with his car stuffed with traveler's checks and stacks of cash. The biggest indicator of this is the fact that he had the signed title in the glove box...I can't believe even in 1970 that was considered a good idea. But it would seem Don was ready to leave anytime and leave his life behind. Just like 10 years before when he had his locked drawer of cash.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jake Snake posted:

I know Don does ask her about it, which is when she denies it. I kinda assumed it was her too, but only because it was happening when Don was seeing her. But it could easily have been Henry or Glen.

Doesn't Henry tell Betty it was him in that same episode?

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

PriorMarcus posted:

Doesn't Henry tell Betty it was him in that same episode?

Nah, Henry denied it as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Astroman posted:

It's not just women...as a hetero male I can say I at times admire Don as a character, for being cool at times, dominating at work, and for those moments his humanity shines through, but also find it frustrating when he treats someone like poo poo, fucks up his life, or backslides.

You're also right about Don always wanting to be able to go at the drop of a hat. Of course we saw that early in the show, with Midge and wanting to go to Paris, and again and again, but consider his final arc. Think for a minute how incredibly difficult it was to do what he did in 1970. He got in his car and just drove west with the clothes on his back, and after a day was halfway across the country. No ATMs, no internet, and few places that take credit cards. You could write checks, but I'm sure by then it was difficult to get out of town checks cashed. Can you imagine how many times he stopped for gas on just that first trip?

Yet somehow flash forward a few months and he's tooling around the country, staying at motels, buying clothes, gas, food, maps. He somehow managed to access his bank account and money, perhaps even took care of finalizing his apartment sale from Bumfuck Iowa by phone. Logistically that's pretty impressive, unless of course Don had it all planned, with his car stuffed with traveler's checks and stacks of cash. The biggest indicator of this is the fact that he had the signed title in the glove box...I can't believe even in 1970 that was considered a good idea. But it would seem Don was ready to leave anytime and leave his life behind. Just like 10 years before when he had his locked drawer of cash.

Occam's Razor would suggest all this is just the result of lazy writing by people who can't remember life before POS swipers and for whom saying "the title is in the glove box" is just a convenient way to have him shed trappings of himself without much thought.

Either it speaks to an amazingly intricate series of hinted-at decisions and preparations that Don made and we're supposed to be impressed by, or it was all just a way to show him doing spontaneous self-destructive poo poo in a way that would read as "obvious" to a modern audience.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

GimpChimp posted:

Oh man. I should watch Season 6 again, all I really remember clearly is Ken tapdancing and Pete reacting to his mother getting pushed off a cruise liner.

I love Clara gasping "she fell off a ship!" After Meredith and Ms Blankenship she's my favourite secretary.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Speaking of season 6, I love Pete's reaction when Trudy tells him that the neighbors wanted to go skinny dipping. It's overshadowed by all the times he falls over, gets punched or uses old-timey expressions, but to me it's one of his funniest moments on the show.

E: Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZcb0kW_Fk&t=97s

Sakarja fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 10, 2015

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sakarja posted:

Speaking of season 6, I love Pete's reaction when Trudy tells him that the neighbors wanted to go skinny dipping. It's overshadowed by all the times he falls over, gets punched or uses old-timey expressions, but to me it's one of his funniest moments on the show.

"I'm drinking rum!"

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Sakarja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpUWrl3-mc8

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
This always gets left out, but my all-time favorite Pete scene is when he and Trudy cut a rug at Roger's blackface party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfeEReNKYlY

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Another great Pete Campbell moment. Probably one of my favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHg2ApnkO8

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh come on, his best moment is clearly "I have 10%! :haw: "

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pete has some insanely great moments, but one of the top three has to be his silent reaction to Bob "confessing" his love as his facial expression slowly shifts from baffled to weirded out to "holy gently caress this guy is trying to gently caress me".

I'd say Pete and Cooper easily have almost all best short scenes in the entire series. None of the other cast really get a chance to deliver the insanely hilarious or brilliant stuff they did.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I just realized that over the course of the series I have come to like Pete's character whereas in the beginning I hated his guts. I think you're supposed to hate his guts at the start. However, kudos to the writers for making him sympathetic (sort of) while never betraying his douchey fabric.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

5 minutes of Pete at his Petest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw5pjnfo3Q0

Includes: "Hells Bells," "A thing like that!" and "Donnybrook".

It's S2 so no Chip n' Dip or rifle though...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Overwined posted:

I just realized that over the course of the series I have come to like Pete's character whereas in the beginning I hated his guts. I think you're supposed to hate his guts at the start. However, kudos to the writers for making him sympathetic (sort of) while never betraying his douchey fabric.

He came into the show as a spoiled child of privilege who had the best of everything, prestigious name, insanely rich (or so he thought), ivy league, married into money, and his attempts to mimic the attitudes and behaviors of successful men like Don and Roger were hilarious disasters. When he tried to demand he be given prestige and power he was smacked down and humbled. Even up to season 5 Pete was still behavior like a jackass most of the time, in between sleeping with a neighbors wife (for the second time), having blatant disrespect for Lane, and throwing temper tantrums when Trudy does something he doesn't like.

Season 6 Pete started to shape up and run his life more as a mature professional, and by season 7 his time in CA has changed him and he was no longer desperate to try and be someone else and he's realized that he wasn't happy trying to be the man he thought he should be. There were quite a few articles about him in the run up to the finale about how his character evolved so well that he went from a childish rear end in a top hat to one of the only genuinely good people on the show (again, in the context of the 60s/70s).

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

pentyne posted:

He came into the show as a spoiled child of privilege who had the best of everything, prestigious name, insanely rich (or so he thought), ivy league, married into money, and his attempts to mimic the attitudes and behaviors of successful men like Don and Roger were hilarious disasters. When he tried to demand he be given prestige and power he was smacked down and humbled. Even up to season 5 Pete was still behavior like a jackass most of the time, in between sleeping with a neighbors wife (for the second time), having blatant disrespect for Lane, and throwing temper tantrums when Trudy does something he doesn't like.

Season 6 Pete started to shape up and run his life more as a mature professional, and by season 7 his time in CA has changed him and he was no longer desperate to try and be someone else and he's realized that he wasn't happy trying to be the man he thought he should be. There were quite a few articles about him in the run up to the finale about how his character evolved so well that he went from a childish rear end in a top hat to one of the only genuinely good people on the show (again, in the context of the 60s/70s).

I don't know if I can forgive Pete for being one of the people to push the Joan and Jaguar thing so hard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Beamed posted:

I don't know if I can forgive Pete for being one of the people to push the Joan and Jaguar thing so hard.

Joan seemed to. The had a pretty respectful relationship towards the end. Pete was eager to work with her, and said some great things about her. Even though she was too proud to ask for their help, Pete and Don would have raised hell against Ferg if they'd ever been able to intervene for her before she got into it with Hobart.

I almost wonder, if Joan had told Don what she was going through, if that might have prevented him leaving? He'd probably have went to war to help her out (if only as she was a former partner and long term coworker, not even necessarily because she was a "damsel in distress"). It could have occupied him enough to keep him from going AWOL, and might have saved her job and then her relationship with Captain Pike.

Though of course she'd have had some inevitable disappointment when they got married, she'd not have created her production company, and Don might never have had the inspiration for the Coke ad. He would probably have still wandered off in an existential crisis a year later and Sally would be dropping out of college to raise her brothers or some such nonsense.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Astroman posted:

Joan seemed to. The had a pretty respectful relationship towards the end. Pete was eager to work with her, and said some great things about her. Even though she was too proud to ask for their help, Pete and Don would have raised hell against Ferg if they'd ever been able to intervene for her before she got into it with Hobart.

I almost wonder, if Joan had told Don what she was going through, if that might have prevented him leaving? He'd probably have went to war to help her out (if only as she was a former partner and long term coworker, not even necessarily because she was a "damsel in distress"). It could have occupied him enough to keep him from going AWOL, and might have saved her job and then her relationship with Captain Pike.

Though of course she'd have had some inevitable disappointment when they got married, she'd not have created her production company, and Don might never have had the inspiration for the Coke ad. He would probably have still wandered off in an existential crisis a year later and Sally would be dropping out of college to raise her brothers or some such nonsense.

Pete approached her about as professionally and business like as you could in that situation. Every account person in the show is shown having to put up with rivers of poo poo and disrespect to land and keep accounts, and her sleeping with the Jaguar guy for one night to land SCDP a car would be a huge coup for the company.

Overall, Pete was the one person at the agency who never lied to her or tried to make a move on her and treated her about as respectfully as she could expect in the 60s.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Never lied to her? Didn't he tell her that the partners, including Roger, had agreed to the Herb thing, even though they were all pretty mortified by it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

netally posted:

Never lied to her? Didn't he tell her that the partners, including Roger, had agreed to the Herb thing, even though they were all pretty mortified by it.

He did indeed.

Don had that whole Madonna/whore thing going on and he still was the only one who didn't want Joan to do it.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
This has probably been observed before, but in rewatching, back in Season 6 Duck was trying to get Pete to consider a position in Wichita. Gotta love this show's easter eggs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Finndo posted:

This has probably been observed before, but in rewatching, back in Season 6 Duck was trying to get Pete to consider a position in Wichita. Gotta love this show's easter eggs.

That was like a lighting bolt when you hear it on a re-watch.

I just noticed that Jim Hobart plays a evil sounding US agent in Quantum Leap (Star Light Star Bright) and holy poo poo is his voice insanely perfect for those types of roles. Just something about his tone and inflection nails the pseudo-evil aspect.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Am I nuts? When they were chanting Om, I thought it was really odd that someone in the group was way, way off. I mean, you don't have to chant in perfect harmony but one person (and I thought it was DOn) was on a way different frequency. ANd then they cut to the whole "perfect harmony" thing. I think they did that on purpose.

Nobody else I know even noticed it thought so maybe I'm just hearing things that aren't there, again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHREFdQiTc

Holy poo poo Burt Cooper was a singing god and Cutler was Perseus!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd forgotten that the first scene of season 7 was a tight shot of someone's face and he says "OMM"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Pete's resolution with Don came at the horseflesh line when Pete grew past needing to see Don as worthless.
Why was Duck so fixated on seeing Don (and Creative in general) as contemptibly precious, anyway?

Overwined posted:

My pet theory was always that there was a Pete/Peggy axis where one becomes warmer while the other became colder.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Recently I'm seeing a lot articles about "this is the next Mad Men" for whatever show of the week is hot, but are there any shows in their second/third season that are anywhere close?

Personally for me, Hell on Wheels is easily the best show to compare it to as far as a slice of history/drama angle is involved yet for some reason tv journos are slobbering all over some hot new show as the "successor" to Mad Men probably for clickbait attention.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

pentyne posted:

Recently I'm seeing a lot articles about "this is the next Mad Men" for whatever show of the week is hot, but are there any shows in their second/third season that are anywhere close?

Personally for me, Hell on Wheels is easily the best show to compare it to as far as a slice of history/drama angle is involved yet for some reason tv journos are slobbering all over some hot new show as the "successor" to Mad Men probably for clickbait attention.

Masters of Sex might be the closest, and season 3 starts next month.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Why was Duck so fixated on seeing Don (and Creative in general) as contemptibly precious, anyway?

When Kinsey gives Peggy a tour of the office, way back at the start, he characterizes advertising as mostly being about media sales.In the world of sixties advertising, at least as it's depicted in Mad Men, leading with creative is a weird and novel thing. The execs from Jantzen refer to SCDP as "a creative company", presumably differentiating it from other companies. In the world where Duck Philips was successful, advertising was about media sales and about account execs that could keep the client happy. He's got contempt and a lot of bitterness for creatives like Don because what Don does wasn't important until suddenly it was, and that coincided with Duck's career going on a sudden downward spiral. Remember: he's damaged goods before he even turns up onscreen. That's why Sterling Cooper got him so cheap.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Halloween Jack posted:

My pet theory was always that there was a Pete/Peggy axis where one becomes warmer while the other became colder.

There's certainly a lot to support this. In the beginning, Pete is the avaricious ladder-climber at the outset. Then over the course of the series, Peggy's taste of success drives her to do some really despicable things to keep climbing whereas Pete realizes his folly and he sort of resigns himself to his fate.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Astroman posted:

That's why the McCann people worked so hard about keeping her away from Pete and she didn't tell Don because he would have come back and raised hell and she knew it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Overwined posted:

There's certainly a lot to support this. In the beginning, Pete is the avaricious ladder-climber at the outset. Then over the course of the series, Peggy's taste of success drives her to do some really despicable things to keep climbing whereas Pete realizes his folly and he sort of resigns himself to his fate.

I can't really think of an example of Peggy doing anything despicable to succeed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Actually, I hosed up. I meant Pete/Betty.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Overwined posted:

The harder Pete tries to succeed (at least in the sense of emulating Don) the harder he fails. The more he just stops trying so hard and just competently does his job, the more he falls up into success, capped by his hopping on the jet at the end.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I'm curious, what is the general feeling on season 7 in this thread? And is there a season which is considered "bad"? I enjoyed pretty much the entire show including 7. I'm glad there's a bow on it so it can be drat good tv show forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm curious, what is the general feeling on season 7 in this thread? And is there a season which is considered "bad"? I enjoyed pretty much the entire show including 7. I'm glad there's a bow on it so it can be drat good tv show forever.

I would actually consider the back half of this season to be "bad" though obviously it's still better than most of what's on TV.

The beginning of the back half dragged a bit too much for my taste. I've never felt like that with this show, ever. The first half of the season was great, but the ending just kind of petered out in my opinion.

• Locked thread