Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
how the gently caress did Turn get a second season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Halt And Catch Fire is a show I really want to be good but everything I've heard makes it sound not so good

I guess that's amc.txt outside of like three shows, huh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so, are we starting "Who's going out the window?" chat now? because if so I vote Ken

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

how did we already get another ad

this is one aspect of Mad Men I won't miss, that's for sure. The only other network shows I watch these days, it doesn't matter if you see 'em live or not

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

on one hand yay for Peggy for avoiding a fling and trying to make a thing of a relationship again, on the other hand this Paris idea is madness and is most assuredly going to end in complete disaster that we're all going to have to watch in a future episode

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ABRAHAM WOODHULL sounds like a made-up name

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

KEN

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

So glad for the return of my favorite show on TV, On the Next Episode of AMC's Mad Men

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

timp posted:

Yeah what the gently caress?! We don't get 7 episodes?

this episode, plus five, plus the series finale :confused:

[efb]

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Athenry posted:

Could be this one, then 5, then the finale.

Also, the waitress wasn't anybody, right?

Apparently she was supposed to look enough like Rachel to trigger Don's memory (at least, that's what the AV Club review implies), but it'd been so long since we'd seen Rachel I forgot what she looked like

timp posted:

Actually, it kind of seems like Don's going to fly to LA to have lunch with Megan, so I guess that's something

Possibly a fakeout with Harry, right?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

TBF while I want to applaud Ken for loving with McCann, I'm also really sad that he took this job purely out of spite and has completely given up on his writing

Hope it doesn't further hurt his marriage :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Ken not only gave up a job that would actually be fulfilling, despite the fact he was financially secure, he took a job with a company he openly despises so that he can spite people he used to consider his friends. It's like the whole theme of the show in a nutshell.

the AV Club review is pretty good in describing this, actually

quote:

Why does Ken take the job at Dow, then? Part of the answer lies in the Richard Nixon speech we glimpse in one scene at Don’s apartment. This mendacious address saw Nixon, as he reminded Americans that he was drawing down U.S. troop presence in Vietnam, furthermore explain that he was ramping up attacks in Cambodia and Laos. The war was somehow growing even as it was ending, and Nixon insisted that this was all perfectly logical.

The speech foreshadowed a reality that Americans could barely detect in 1970: The Vietnam War would never end, not for a long time at least. The military quagmire may have subsided, but the psychological one remained, as we’ve re-litigated Vietnam with every new war and with practically every presidential election. At the time, the country didn’t understand about itself what Ken’s wife doesn’t understand about him: The deepest scars are the ones you can’t see. (It’s no coincidence that Ken goes to work for a company that embodies some of Vietnam’s most enduring horrors, driving home the parallel.)

Ken can’t just walk away after the horrors of the Chevrolet account. He feels compelled to try, angrily and quixotically, to make his sacrifice mean something. The trouble is that by the end, the Chevy business, like Vietnam, was madness incarnate. Reason does not emerge from madness, so Ken’s attempt to win a sense of justice from this mess, even in revenge, is therefore doomed to fail. Wounded, disrespected, and ultimately dismissed, he is overwhelmed by the question, “Is that all there is?” He would be better off if he could bring himself to answer “yes,” break out the booze, and have a ball.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the series finally used a Bowie song and it wasn't "The Man Who Sold the World"

I guess that would be too obvious, huh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm terrified that the next episode is going to open with the reveal that Pete didn't get the gig

drat you, Mad Men, for somehow making me feel sympathy for loving Pete :argh:

e: also if you see that episode as tying up all the loose ends of the Drapers, presumedly the finale has to be Peggy-tastic, right? Who else is left who we feel like we should expect more closure for?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I like to imagine they only did the coke so that scene would go by way faster than it would otherwise and they could fit more into the show

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so is Ken coked up too or what

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I vaguely remember Rodger or someone having to rescue their daughter from a hippy cult. did that happen or am I mixing this up with another series

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I don't like this guy with the beard one bit

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

these people are loving terrible at being hippies

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh hey she just dropped the entire thesis statement of the loving show

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

WAIT, THE STEVE JOBS MOVIE HAS loving FASSBENDER?!?!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

What the gently caress is an "eight-part premiere event," AMC? Do you mean "eight-episode season?"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

YES YES YES

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Possibly-Brett Gelman is the MVP of this episode

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

plane goes down over middle America, never to be seen again

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

That wrapped up way, way, way more cleanly than I was expecting. I dug it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oatgan posted:

I guess by season 7 I stopped giving a poo poo about Don's success in advertising

yeah, there's no way that I'm rooting for Don to GO MAKE A NEW AD at this stage in his life. I just wanted him to find people to be happy with :smith:

• Locked thread