Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the scariest?
ghosts
monsters
the human psyche
this season's lineup
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Welcome to a thread about horror stuff. Japanese horror was all the rage around 10 years ago, but now no one gives a poo poo. Still, cartoon horror persists.

Here's a brief overview of a few artists.

Shigeru Mizuki-
The first horror mangaka (at least of the 20th century). His most famous series is GeGeGe no Kitarō, which is kind of like the Japanese Addams Family. It is really famous and probably everyone in Japan is aware of Kitarō's existence. He's still going strong at 93, and runs a museum on yokai in his hometown, Sakaiminato. There was an anime of Kitaro made 6 years ago, but it only exists as lovely youtube videos in English. Please support the official release of Kitaro.

Kazuo Umezu-
Called the Japanese Stephen King. If you like gore, he's your man. His best works are Orochi: Blood, The Drifting Classroom and Reptilia. He also directed two of the infamous Guinea Pig films, the first of which caused a international investigation because the FBI thought it was a legit snuff film. Also, a creepy looking motherfucker

Junji Ito-
He is the horror mangaka. If you are reading this forum, you are probably aware of at least one of his stories. Some ones that are famous are The Enigma of Arigama Fault, Gyo, the Tomie Series and Uzumaki. Many of these are live-action movies as well. My favorite volumes from him are Souichi's Diary of Curses, House of Puppets and The Town Without Streets. A collection of his stories is coming out this June, so please support the official release.

Yamishibai-
A loving awesome show that is done now. They're little 5 minute episodes that look like traditional Japanese paper craft. It's really loving good. It's on Crunchyroll, please support the official release

Parasyte-
I've never seen it but I've heard it's cool. Tell me more about it please

Talk about scary stuff! Don't get too spooked

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fuan no Tane and Fuan no Tane +. Really good and unsettling short stories that use the short story comic format to the fullest, everything slowly building up to one moment of sheer horror.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

parasyte isn't very scary. gross though

also pupipo is horror, but im like the only person who likes it. and it isn't scary either

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

its an action comic in the vein of devilman, so there is horror in the state of the world and not being able to trust your friends and family and strangers to even still be human anymore, but mostly its about radical fighting with haruhi as a shapeshifting best friend, not very scary.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

pupipo rules but they never translate it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres an anime

also i really like konata hand. main reason why i still watch it cause i don't like people getting chopped up!!!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

also pupipo is horror, but im like the only person who likes it. and it isn't scary either

There are three types of Horror:

Horror: fear coming from the threat of something scary happening

Terror: fear coming from something scary happening

Revulsion: negative emotions from something gross happening

Ann Radcliffe wrote it so it has to be true

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 4, 2015

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Smoking Crow posted:

Revulsion: negative emotions from someone telling you Shintaro Kago isn't loving awful

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

please leave guy with the bad western cartoon avatar

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service is about five graduates from a Buddhist college who, discovering they all have unique abilities, decide to form a company which lays ghosts to rest. They've got a guy who talks to the dead, a hacker, a dowser, a guy who channels an alien intelligence, and a licensed embalmer. They regularly run into foul play, horrific crimes, and melodrama in the course of putting down the dead.

Unfortunately, the guy who writes it, according to clicking the link to his page on wikipedia, is a pedophile. Didn't see any of that in the two volumes I read, but stay alert.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I guess this is one way to leave the forums forever :sweatdrop:

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 4, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Harime Nui posted:

Look what I just bought, nite crew -

and also this -

Should make the desk in my shared TA office nice and festive, right?? :v:

wrong thread

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Dragon Head is a really good end of the world manga. Theres a lot of environmental horror mixed with people going crazy and near the end it gets really bizarre without derailing the previous chapters.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Budget Prefuse posted:

please leave guy with the bad western cartoon avatar

I'm sorry you can't handle the truth :colbert:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Im spooked

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Heres a chapter from a korean webtoon that I think is pretty good and quality, if a bit predictable.

http://www.webtoons.com/en/thriller/the-vault-of-horror-a-collection-of-nightmares/ep-4/viewer?title_no=295&episode_no=4

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. horror and moral terror are your friends. if they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. i remember when i was with special forces...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nevermind then.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 5, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Mononoke Soushi follows a girl named Tenome who works as a traveling performer and encounters ghosts and monsters out of folklore. The later chapters take on a postwar setting that's pretty interesting as well. The art is unique and while I don't imagine any of it would actually scare anyone it's a fun read.

If it's not scary it's not horror. Get out!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Only spooky stuff that will keep you up at night allowed in here, this is my domain now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh that comic looks cool though.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Mononoke Soushi follows a girl named Tenome who works as a traveling performer and encounters ghosts and monsters out of folklore. The later chapters take on a postwar setting that's pretty interesting as well. The art is unique and while I don't imagine any of it would actually scare anyone it's a fun read. It's by Youske Takahashi who has written a bunch of other horror stuff but Mononoke Soushi and Akumu Koushounin are the only ones I've read so far.

Came here to post Takahashi, found him a few months back and really fell in love with his artwork. More classic-cartoony than Junji Ito but no less grotesque when the poo poo hits the fan, and he has a huge library to his name.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's really good artwork but I don't think it really ever establishes a good disquieting tone, something I think horror really needs. It's a great comic though, that bit on the cruise ship and constantly waking up from dreams was great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's like a fairy tale, and thank you for posting it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Hundred Stories is probably the best horror anime I've seen, followed by Parasyte (he also did this http://mangapark.me/manga/me-wo-mite-hanase).

This is the best Junji Ito piece http://www.mangareader.net/ito-junjis-cat-diary

Resident Evil Damnation and Degeneration aren't bad at all if you like Resident Evil (better than the live action ones)

The first Vampire Hunter D anime is more horror oriented than the second. There's also the usual suspects that aren't really horror but have elements of it like Elfen Lied, Hellsing and Blood The Last Vampire

Biomeat Nectar and Manhole are horror manga I've enjoyed. Fuan no Tane is a popular horror manga. Franken Fran is good fun but not scary. I classify Eden: It's an Endless World! as a horror manga as well because lots of hosed up poo poo happens.

Related, here is the best anime trailer I have ever seen, for a true turd of a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJv3_10f7E

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mononoke Soushi follows a girl named Tenome who works as a traveling performer and encounters ghosts and monsters out of folklore. The later chapters take on a postwar setting that's pretty interesting as well. The art is unique and while I don't imagine any of it would actually scare anyone it's a fun read. It's by Youske Takahashi who has written a bunch of other horror stuff but Mononoke Soushi and Akumu Koushounin are the only ones I've read so far.

This isn't horror at all. This is just a really dark josei with some pretty 70s style character designs and a hilariously entertaining heroine.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

This isn't horror at all. This is just a really dark josei with some pretty 70s style character designs and a hilariously entertaining heroine.

I've decided it's good and belongs in this thread now.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I can't believe you mentioned Junji Ito and didn't include Cat Diary.

(:3:)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If you're interested in Kazuo Umezu, check out Fourteen in which bizarre creepy imagery and seat-of-his-pants writing combine to create a very odd experience.

Also there is a lot of talking and pointing. Like, a lot a lot.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
You might be interested in Soil, it has a very creepy vibe running through it, in the vein of Uzimaki.

Parasyte (Kiseijuu) was a good read, I hear good things about the anime version.

The Voynich Hotel - I'm just mentioning this because it's a fun read.

Narutaru is a disturbing read, there is a sense of the uncanny about it.

as for anime:

I quite liked Higurashi and Elfen Lied. I found the Pet Shop of Horrors anime to be weird.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If you're interested in Kazuo Umezu, check out Fourteen in which bizarre creepy imagery and seat-of-his-pants writing combine to create a very odd experience.

Also there is a lot of talking and pointing. Like, a lot a lot.

I enjoyed what I read of Fourteen but the fact he draws out reveals and conversations that could be done in one page over like five pages just got to be a little too much, even though I enjoyed them in a weird way.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Smoking Crow posted:

There are three types of Horror:

Horror: fear coming from the threat of something scary happening

Terror: fear coming from something scary happening

Revulsion: negative emotions from something gross happening

Ann Radcliffe wrote it so it has to be true

I studied this in film class and that's not quite it. Or at least, that's not how I learned it.

Horror is something fearful but impossible or implausible. See: Alien

Terror is something fearful that could be happening RIGHT NOW LIKE THE SERIAL KILLER STANDING JUST BEHIND YOU
See: Your mom

e: Also shoutout to Yuureitou!

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 4, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sharkopath posted:

I've decided it's good and belongs in this thread now.

really good no doubt but it taints the purity of the horror thread

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

really good no doubt but it taints the purity of the horror thread

it actually gets scary by the time of the timeskip, when she's wandering the ruins of the bombed out postwar period, dealing with the famine and starvation and ghosts of those who died in the airraids. It's a very dramatic shift in tone that makes the whole comic better.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Zetsubou-san posted:

You might be interested in Soil, it has a very creepy vibe running through it, in the vein of Uzimaki.
I started reading this a while back and loved the first few chapters, but stopped when I realised that it'd never be completely translated.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Me, My Sister, and Ghosts is a funny comic that uses a lot of the standard ghost story introductions and inverts them for comedy.

Normally I wouldn't count it but it's really good and the hiscore girl guy did it so nyeh.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Wicked Eyes Fly to the Full Moon posted:

The mountain gods have sent down a punishment to the people of Japan. An owl by the name of Minerva. All who fall under this owl's gaze die, their eyes spurting out blood. One man stood up to the owl, a famous hunter by the name of Uhei, however just as he was about to loose the finishing bullet, he was interrupted by the American army taking the owl into their care for study.

Thirteen years later, an American warship crashes into a Tokyo harbor, and all the men on board are dead, their eyes bleeding. The owl has been freed, and it now rampages throughout Tokyo, killing at random and in mass amounts. The American government has decided that only Uhei, the man who nearly killed the beast before, can help them. So they send the Delta Force and CIA out to see just how the bird can be brought down...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Finally finished GeGeGe No Kitaro. Really good, very spooky

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can you consider Aku no Hana scary in a psychological sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can you consider Aku no Hana scary in a psychological sense?

Is it horror or is it a thriller?

• Locked thread