Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Watch LIVE on NJPW World for only ¥999 ($8.34)
http://njpwworld.com/
Signup info here

Invasion Attack 2015 in Ryogoku Sumo Hall (April 5th) 3:00 AM EDT/ 08:00 BST

Card
  • Yuji Nagata, Captain New Japan, Yohei Komatsu & Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV, Ryusuke Taguchi & Sho Tanaka
  • TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) & Tomoaki Honma vs. Bullet Club (Tama Tonga, Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall)
  • The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Beretta) - IWGP JR. TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Kenny Omega (c) vs. Mascara Dorada - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) (c) vs. The Kingdom (Michael Bennett & Matt Taven) - IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale
  • AJ Styles (c) vs. Kota Ibushi - IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Felt this deserved it's GDT to hype the show since it's live. If you're one of those people who enjoyed WK9 but haven't kept up now's the time to pay attention again since this is the biggest show they've run since.

AJ Styles vs Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship should be amazing and has the potential to be a strong MOTYC. AJ's been great in NJPW and Ibushi's big main event quality matches have all been spectacular. This is a really noteworthy main event beyond the talents of both men as the NJPW main event picture since 2012 has been dominated by three men: Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Okada. I started following NJPW that year and I've never seen a heavyweight singles main event without one of the big three, and you have to go all the way back to Makabe vs. Kojima in October 2010 to find a title match without one of them in it.

NJPW's faith in AJ and Ibushi has been rewarded with the quickest sellout of Sumo Hall in over a decade aside from the G1 and a couple special Anniversary Shows for legendary wrestlers. Should be a great show in front of a hot packed house and you should definitely watch if you have any interest in the product at all.

NJPW World is cheap as hell and the signup's easy. As a bonus there's still a couple more shows later this month you get included with your subscription.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm psyched for this. Gonna watch Trevor Lee live then come home and watch this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

may fifth

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Perils of writing up a thread at 3 AM. If HulkaMatt or fatherdog see this and fix that it'd be cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Styles/Ibushi gonna be a real good match. :munch:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kinda feel like Ibushi's gonna take it here. He's been on fire lately and I think they know he's in his prime and they have to pull that trigger soon.

I don't know what AJ's travel schedule is like, but with all the US indie dates he does, I wonder if he's sick of flying back to Japan all the time or if he just stays there in between.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

matt jackson faves my tweets so too sweet me big guy

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Kinda feel like Ibushi's gonna take it here. He's been on fire lately and I think they know he's in his prime and they have to pull that trigger soon.

I don't know what AJ's travel schedule is like, but with all the US indie dates he does, I wonder if he's sick of flying back to Japan all the time or if he just stays there in between.

He doesn't do that many dates in Japan, this was the first full tour he's done in a while I think.

There's definitely been times where he's had to work in Japan, immediately fly back to America, and then immediately fly back to Japan tho.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

For someone who hasn't watched since WK9, what matches should I watch in preparation for this?
A lot of titles have changed hands it seems.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kaveman posted:

For someone who hasn't watched since WK9, what matches should I watch in preparation for this?
A lot of titles have changed hands it seems.

The New Beginning in Osaka was where almost all of the title changes were, and it's a good show. Obviously New Japan Cup was where a bunch of storylines for this started, but it's mostly simple like (I'm obviously about to spoil the Cup, so don't read it you'd rather watch it before tonight): Yano cheated and beat Tanahashi, so they are in a program, same for Fale beating Okada. Ibushi won the Cup and challenged for the title which sets up the main event.

Edit: Oh, and to account for the NEVER title, watch Honma vs Ishii at New Beginning in Sendai. Makabe missed the card due to the flu, which means he forfeited the title. Honma vs Ishii, on short notice, was given five stars by Dave. The NWA World Heavyweight title also changed hands on this card.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 4, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah I dunno why, but I kind of feel like Ibushi is going to win the title too. Seems like it would be really soon though, since AJ just won it. Just feels like Ibushi has momentum

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

AJ keeps saying he loves Japan and considered NJPW his home promotion, I don't think he's sick of it at all.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

i'll bet you $100 wrestlingbux that kota has it wrapped up at several points but ends up losing because bullet club

btw kota ibushi is the closest i've come to finding a guy sexually attractive. 100% my dream boy he is so pretty

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Let's go Ibushi!

But I'm fine with AJ retaining :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

cams posted:

i'll bet you $100 wrestlingbux that kota has it wrapped up at several points but ends up losing because bullet club

Yeah it makes sense, I could see this being a feud they try to extend to see if it draws. It sold out Invasion Attack, so I'd be curious to see what a return match could do.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

[*]Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) (c) vs. The Kingdom (Michael Bennett & Matt Taven) - IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

How much of this match will tv's attention be on the wrestling vs. on Maria's rear end? 20/80 split?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

C. Everett Koop posted:

How much of this match will tv's attention be on the wrestling vs. on Maria's rear end? 20/80 split?

Really it should be Maria's rear end feat. Mike Bennett & Matt Taven

cams
Mar 28, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

they'll cut to wwe style backstage shots of captain new japan furiously masturbating (with blurred cock of course cause japan) during these shots.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

cams posted:

they'll cut to wwe style backstage shots of captain new japan furiously masturbating (with blurred cock of course cause japan) during these shots.

the worst day of Cap. NJ's life is when he fell under the spell of the white woman, the unobtainable succubus for every asian male. Poor fella.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Still think Styles wins but Id be very down to see Ibushi pull the upset and take his rightful place alongside the big three as a main event champion caliber guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

the worst day of Cap. NJ's life is when he fell under the spell of the white woman, the unobtainable succubus for every asian male. Poor fella.

Don't worry he started playing Game of War.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I dunno why, but I kind of feel like Ibushi is going to win the title too. Seems like it would be really soon though, since AJ just won it. Just feels like Ibushi has momentum

This is probably more Western booking logic than anything, but I can see them not minding AJ taking the title off Tanahashi but not quite yet wanting Ibushi to be the one to do it, where Ibushi over AJ would be fine. Tanahashi/Ibushi for the title could be a money feud for WK10 once Tana's had some rest.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
it's too soon for ibushi imo

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

This is probably more Western booking logic than anything, but I can see them not minding AJ taking the title off Tanahashi but not quite yet wanting Ibushi to be the one to do it, where Ibushi over AJ would be fine. Tanahashi/Ibushi for the title could be a money feud for WK10 once Tana's had some rest.

I had the same thought.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

Perils of writing up a thread at 3 AM. If HulkaMatt or fatherdog see this and fix that it'd be cool.
:lol: at fix

Spermgod posted:

it's too soon for ibushi imo

Disagree, he's more established as a contender than Okada was at NB 2012. I do think it's treading dangerous territory to hotshot the belt again this quick though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Trying to keep myself up long enough to see at least a portion of the show live. Not sure I'll make the whole thing; I think with WK9 I was only able to stay up for the first hour or so, but it's super fun following along with the thread. It reminds me of being a kid and staying up super late to watch (or setting my VCR to record) ECW at 2 or 3 in the morning.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
gently caress i wish i could stay up for this

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have been trying to go to bed at a reasonable time (4 AM) but I just can't resist this card. I need to make it until intermission.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Feeling lucky I'm on the west coast. Midnight is a drat good start time

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Feeling lucky I'm on the west coast. Midnight is a drat good start time
hi5

this is the first time in a long time the circumstances have lined up where i can watch a live njpw event, i'm actually super excited

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So this starts in 40 minutes, yeah?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

So this starts in 40 minutes, yeah?

Yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:hfive:

Go Ibushi! (Ibushi is gonna lose)

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I'm so excited

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the sweet love that will be made, will that be on the PPV?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

:hfive:

Go Ibushi! (Ibushi is gonna lose)

hes going to win and save new japan pro wrestling

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I'm trying to get on the site and it is making GBS threads itself. Service Unavailable. :(

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:siren: IT'S HERE :siren:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

NJPW World is now totally down for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I got in in time before it crapped itself. Too many eyes on NJPW it seems.

• Locked thread