Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

the gently caress did anyone ever see in this stupid game

Nostalgia does things to you, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kibayasu posted:

I'm probably saying something incredibly obvious or has already been confirmed but I think this is clearly the equivalent to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy where the head guy had this huge idea for one huge game but reality set in and it had to be cut down and split up into (even more) incoherence.

I would say this is the exact opposite, actually. He had a huge idea and went for it, he just didn't get to finish it by making the other games. In fact, it felt like he was obligated to stretch it out, so it would be a longer game then the first.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Danaru posted:

In all honesty, what parts of this game made people think "yes another one please" :shepface: I can't think of a single memorable part except for when we beat up that school girl and she took us to the ducks.

Maybe they only played Shenmue 1 originally? Like it's mediocre now but it still has some charm.

I never played 2 back in the day and am kinda glad I didn't now..

Also they were planned as several releases from the get go. Yu Suzuki's original plan was something like 11 games. It has more in common with Xenosaga, I think (planning too much for a series nobody ended up caring about).

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Shinjobi is pleased with your sacrifice, Kuvo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TechnoSyndrome posted:

the gently caress did anyone ever see in this stupid game

I think you need to appreciate that it was a product of it's time and it was a trail blazer - think of all the games now that are open world affairs with lots of mini games to play.

This was not the case when Shenmue and Shenmue II were released, I played both on Dreamcast and the first game is probably the better looking because II really pushed that machine beyond it's limit.

The story is stupid and II has some annoyingly repetitive gameplay elements things, but both were definitely trail blazers.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Honestly the game still looks pretty drat good, even today. Obviously some of the environments have not aged well (the endless path of trees for instance), but stuff like the faces are still pretty spot on.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I love the story of Shenmue I just wish there was a good game around it. Music got real good there near the end.

Thanks for the LP guys, end of an era.

Like someone a few years ago still holding out hope for Shenmue 3 I will wait for another t40s LP.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

coleman francis posted:

I love the story of Shenmue.

What part? I don't remember anything in the story which strikes me as loveable. The story was just kinda there.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

People kickstarted for a 3rd one of these? loving nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Kuvo posted:

you have the mistaken assumption that we ever get to the vilage :kheldragar:

gently caress this game :mad:

• Locked thread