Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh wow, it is real after all. I saw the thread just before I went to bed last night, and after I woke up I couldn't find it (possibly because I was looking for the original tag) so I figured I must have dreamed the whole thing.

The 360 emulation works okay-ish. The graphics look nicer in higher res, but at least the PAL version has issues with music and, most importantly, the arcade games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey if you're playing in the PAL region, there's always the option of the highly-expensive japanese-audio PAL Dreamcast version :v:.
I have that one too!

Bought it before the prices got ridiculous, so it cost something like €25. My copy is missing the cardboard sleeve, though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

To be fair, it's less "Ryo has a girlfriend" and more "this chick totally wants to bang Ryo, but he's too much of a goon to notice".

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Spending all your money on capsule toys and Zippos Zuppos is in fact the best way to start this game, because you can sell all that poo poo at pawnshops (which was apparently touted as a major feature back when this game was coming out - "SELL ALL YOUR CAPSULE TOYS FROM THE PREVIOUS GAME AND EARN A FUCKTON OF MONEY, HOLY poo poo").

Yes, Ryo, just keep telling yourself that the money is gone because some bad guys stole it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I didn't know you could suck so bad at the crate minigame that you get less than the usual $60, so this is an educational LP already! :pseudo: To be fair, the 360 dpad is terrible, and the QTE chimes cut out at one point which probably doesn't help either.

Also, Delin is even better in Japanese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9jBHAbAKA

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rodyle posted:

Everyone's having a good time, but soon enough, the Shenmue will set in :smith:
This game doesn't get nearly as tedious as the original thanks to the wait function, so that's something at least. There's still plenty of dumb poo poo and QTE sequences to be found, though.

Speaking of QTEs, I can't wait for a certain part later on in the game. :unsmigghh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kuvo posted:

ryo should really track down a police officer and let them know his father was murdered in his own home
I forget if you called the cops in the Shenmue 1 LP, but if you do, he hangs up and says he doesn't want the cops to get involved. :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think Tom and Goro took all the drugs.

edit: ah poo poo I forgot about gently caress-san

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Catching up on the last couple of videos. You know, you generally do better at Outrun if you shift into high gear at some point. :pseudo:

And yeah, those emulation issues are happening because you're playing on the 360. Original Xbox had no problems with the arcade games, and the sound didn't randomly cut out either.

edit: the photographer guy has the same tie King Moron had in Persona 4

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 22, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Demicol posted:

Is there any point to that gameplay wise? Will different pawnshops give you different rates or anything?
Yes, actually! You can make a lot more money if you look up which pawnshop buys which poo poo at high prices, although in practice it's kind of annoying to look through a million fliers to find the best places to offload your crap.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kuvo posted:

SE will never make a Sleeping Dogs 2 :negative:
Who needs a boring old sleepy dogs 2 when we can play TRIAD WARS, the upcoming massively multiplayer online open world action game(tm)?

:negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I like how he never gets to tell anyone what the rule is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That $10 Lucky Hit game was rigged as gently caress, why didn't Ryo get to run that one?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Golden Qr. is clearly the most happening place in Hong Kong, at least when it comes to emulation issues on the 360.

holy poo poo lady where is your head *I scramble to get my phone to take a picture* OH GOD RYO WHERE IS YOUR HEAD

izumi help

THANKS FOR WHAT YOUR HEAD IS STILL GONE

Exiting the store fixed Ryo's problem, although there was still another NPC wandering around without a head. Weird things happen in Golden Qr. at night. :ghost:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kuvo posted:

i do not know if this is a joke or not

if its not, if we find it?
There is a very in-depth FAQ for that sidequest on gamefaqs, made by someone who really has put a lot of thought and effort into, uh, befriending a 14-year-old girl in a video game.

You know what you have to do. :getin:

edit: opening paragraph

quote:

Welcome to my first full length FAQ and Shtuff. I've always wanted to write one for GAMEFAQS.COM, but I don't really have much time will all the VideoGames, fansubbed anime, work, my wife, and my band to give my time to. This will teach you how to become a teenage stalker in the game Shenmue II for Dreamcast and XBox. The target? Fangmei Xun. Don't do this in real life....unless your 14...but don't stalk anyone period, k? It's against the law and morally wrong and shtuff.
I'm not sure why he spells the word "stuff" like that. Maybe he's one of those shoopuf driver guys from FFX.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 13, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I want to believe. :pray:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Also, is there any other game out there that uses a button sequence QTE like Shenmue 2 does? I've never seen another game do that.
Mortal Kombat X's story mode has a QTE for an actual fatality input. Everyone fucks it up because they don't expect it. (I swear I hit the buttons but it still failed me :argh:)

Even if you fail that QTE and the dude just falls down, your character is like "Yeah that guy's dead as poo poo" in the next cutscene.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Danaru posted:

Microsoft Shower will always be my favourite
MS Shower is from Outrun, so of course it's the best song.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

whowhatwhere posted:

:siren:SHENMUE 3 FUNDED:siren:

Which minigame do you look forward to playing because it's more fun than the actual game?
Outrun.

Wait, since Sega apparently isn't involved in the project aside from letting Suzuki use the Shenmue license, I guess that means we don't get to play any Sega arcade games in Shenmue III. PREORDER CANCELLED :byodood: (guess there's always darts and QTE BATTLE)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

pylb posted:

I don't understand why people are funding the sequel to two bad games.
Fortunately, Shenmue II is a pretty good game (I'll admit the original is rather bad) so I see no problem here.

Alternate comment: Yeah, I don't know why Yooka-Laylee made all that money either.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

man nurse posted:

The entire game takes place in rural China, I highly doubt there were going to be arcade games to be found in the first place.
I've just assumed Ryo gets out of Bumfuck, China and ends up in a city at some point. I mean, they probably don't even have soda machines and toy capsules out there in the sticks. Ryo Hazuki can't function without those two things.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yu Suzuki answered some fan questions on twitter, and now we have official confirmation that gently caress-san's IQ is about 86.

quote:

Q28; What's the I.Q. score of Fukuhara-san? A; Maybe something like 86?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Can you measure IQ on robots?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

cmykjester posted:

I can't wait for Shenmune 3 to come out and not being the end of the 19(?) chapter story causing another 10 or so years of people asking for Shenmune 4
Yu Suzuki actually said 3 wouldn't end the story and that he wants to make more Shenmue games. I doubt that's going to work out for him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I just noticed Tomato Convenience Store sells "STRONGSTYLE MERIKAN CRUCKERS" :911:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Ryo...

I'll tell you who murdered your father.

It was the lower half of a woman.
I see.

Excuse me. How do I get to the lower half of a woman?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hoss Corncave posted:

You're about to reach a point that is bound to infuriate you, but you can save after each one. For your own sanity, save after each time.
The part I've been waiting for :getin:

probably the worst section in any game ever

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DO IT TO IT posted:

This game is hilarious to watch because it's so awful but it boggles my mind that some people out there actually think it's good (and would pay money for a new one).
I honestly can't explain why I like these stupid games. They're filled with tedious bullshit like this bit with the audio tapes and the upcoming worst segment in any game ever made, but I can't help but enjoy them regardless and also gave way too much money to the kickstarter.

I'm a terrible broken person in many ways, though, so maybe that explains some of it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

aww yeah here we go :getin:

This part of the game nearly cost me a controller back in the day.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm pretty sure the Dreamcast version did have saving whenever you wanted. That was how I got up those floors without throwing my console through the window on multiple occasions. Especially after Ren shows up with the elevator key. Bastard.
The Xbox version has that too, that's how I got through this section when I replayed the game. It's just that you can only save before and after each set of planks, not in the middle section between the planks.

On my first run, I didn't know you could save anywhere. That was fun. :shepicide:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Laputanmachine posted:

My first CD was the Killer Instinct soundtrack CD called Killer Cuts that came bundled with the game's SNES version. It's the most 90s CD ever.
whatup Killer Cuts buddy :krad: I still have my original copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsuuMhWjUo

If you ever wanted to hear the Killer Instinct announcer rap on a 90s dance track (frankly, I'm alarmed if you didn't), there you go!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Weird Al is legit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yu Suzuki should definitely hire Kojima to work on Shenmue 3's story and dialogue. :kheldragar: It's not like Kojima's got anything better to do.

• Locked thread